Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

so is this most people's first exposure to devilman? I'm just kind of surprised since all of it has been on youtube for years free to watch and the manga is easily readable for free as well.

Yes. I knew what, the figure, the character, Devilman looked like but I didn't have a clue about the story. Also in my super hardcore-gotta watch anime 24/7 weaboo days I would indeed only watch things that were recent, so yeah, I missed a lot of classic awesome stuff because I was being young and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve literally never heard of Devilman before 3 days ago.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lupin the Third loving Owns. I just watched the new series in Italy, it's awesome. Theme song rules too. He's the best.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Lupin series for the most part seem like they're mostly a collection of self contained episodes and two parters so it's not something you have to binge or even finish to fully appreciate. I wish Series 1 was still on Hulu because I really enjoyed watching an episode or two when I wasn't in the mood for anything else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Lupin the Third loving Owns. I just watched the new series in Italy, it's awesome. Theme song rules too. He's the best.

For reals, check this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYYT1ekkeg

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Ryo didn’t win. Akira’s death broke him, and God defeated him again. You see the reset process happening post-credits - it looks just like Satan’s first defeat at the very beginning of the show.

The old Devilman show is a reference to a concept that first cropped up in Devilman Lady - every time God defeats Satan, he resets the world and Akira and Ryo’s adventures become fiction. It’s an ominous little warning - all this has happened before, all this will happen again - which is delivered upon with the reset at the end, as the old, ruined Earth becomes another moon.

Yeah, but doesn't Violence Jack happen afterwards? So the reset happens sometime after that battle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah, but doesn't Violence Jack happen afterwards? So the reset happens sometime after that battle.

Maybe in the loop that was the original Devilman. Crybaby, like Lady, seems to be a sequel disguised as a remake.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is the “cycle” stuff explicitly laid out in the manga or OVA and just not in Crybaby? Or is it like 40 years of otaku/weaboo inference?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Is the “cycle” stuff explicitly laid out in the manga or OVA and just not in Crybaby? Or is it like 40 years of otaku/weaboo inference?

It’s very explicit like many other things in Devilman.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Like I said earlier this was my first exposure to Devilman or anything by Go Nagai but people wanted to get impressions. I really enjoyed Crybaby. It was an emotional rollercoaster and episodes 7-10 will probably stick with me for a very long time. After watching I looked it up on the net and seeing just how it influenced nearly all of my favorite series blew my mind. I’m really glad they made Crybaby. I don’t really have any desire to seek out the other Devilman series like Lady but I feel like I will get around to reading the original manga someday.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Bust Rodd posted:

It's very clearly laid out in the manga.

Hell, the entire point of the events of Devilman Lady was Satan trying to get Akira and his Devilman army on his side to fight God because of the loop nonsense.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s weird I taught bible school for 6 years and never reconciled that “maintaining your faith” was the morally righteous way to live, but I was also teaching teens so the conversations never really got that in depth. We talked lot about your first point, bad things happen to good people and it’s not a punishment because the world doesn’t work in that binary way. The ending there is also bullshit because “my wife, friends and children all died but then I got new ones so it’s ok!” is a non-reward, considering that in general God doesn’t punish innocent people in the book of Job he is very deliberately setting out to ruin Job’s life over nothing, so it’s simply God solving a problem of his own creation.

I guess I disagree with your position on the ending. I’m not demanding everything adhere to “The Hero with 1,000 Faces” but Akira is basically the exact same person through all 10 episodes, then is punished and murdered, and Ryo still wins and gets everything they set out to achieve, but because everything was totally stacked in his favor from the beginning it doesn’t require him to grow or change. I also don’t read “He misses Akira” as growth or change because he’s clearly always cared about him and just had this deluded fantasy that they’d end up happily ever after.

I feel like there were plenty of places the ending could have gone without hitting rock bottom and rolling credits, but I also understand that a key divergence in Eastern vs Western culture is that Westerners think a sad ending is a bittersweet, silver lining kind of thing, and it’s way more eastern and specifically more Japanese to just go “everything is totally hosed, Good-Bye” because they don’t need their hands held all the time, they get washed away and rained on and melted by volcanoes like every 40 years, they understand that life is uncaring.

Still that does make a lot of sense, I like that interpretation.

the ending is happy, satan got owned and the earth has 2 moons now. i think everyone's life would be better if we had two moons

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Smoking Crow posted:

the ending is happy, satan got owned and the earth has 2 moons now. i think everyone's life would be better if we had two moons

I want now a second season but the earth has two moons,and no one blinks about it, also they don't show references of old devilman cartoon but netflix's one, and Ryo and Akira are still very gay. Then everything happens again, people die, time resets and earth now has three moons, and there's references of the previous show with the two moons, and Ryo and Akira remain very gay. Repeat until we all go mad.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I always had the general impression that most manga fans (at least who checked out the classics) had read Devilman so the discussion around Crybaby with regards to that has been blowing my mind.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

the manga, mind game

Huh, for a very liberal definition of read I can read french, might have to pick it up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm still hoping all this yuasa publicity will result in the mind game manga getting licensed

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DisDisDis posted:

I always had the general impression that most manga fans (at least who checked out the classics) had read Devilman so the discussion around Crybaby with regards to that has been blowing my mind.

You underestimate the abundance of us filthy casuals.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s a generation of viewers, probably the majority of anime viewers even, who grew up on Dragonball Z after school on Toonami, and so we accept that Anime can be good and cool, but the apparent effort to enjoy most of it seemed to require you to become like the worst kind of dork imaginable, so it’s just easier to consume the sweet handpicked westernized ones that Cartoon Network kindly picked out for us.

So you’ve got people where they LOVE anime, but their anime experience is exclusively Naruto, DBZ, Pokémon, Digimon, Gundam Wing, Full Metal Alchemist, and Sailor Moon. Maybe Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Captors too.

Netflix’s anime offerings are more in line with those shows than with any of the other stuff.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

StarMinstrel posted:

You underestimate the abundance of us filthy casuals.

they're called normies

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

they're called normies

I'm pretty sure watching Devilman, while not enough to destroy casual status, does rather disqualify you from most descriptors derived from "normal".

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Lupin series for the most part seem like they're mostly a collection of self contained episodes and two parters so it's not something you have to binge or even finish to fully appreciate. I wish Series 1 was still on Hulu because I really enjoyed watching an episode or two when I wasn't in the mood for anything else.

Here.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/lupin-the-third-part-1

Also..
http://www.crunchyroll.com/lupin-the-third-part-2
http://www.crunchyroll.com/lupin-the-third-part-3

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a generation of viewers, probably the majority of anime viewers even, who grew up on Dragonball Z after school on Toonami, and so we accept that Anime can be good and cool, but the apparent effort to enjoy most of it seemed to require you to become like the worst kind of dork imaginable, so it’s just easier to consume the sweet handpicked westernized ones that Cartoon Network kindly picked out for us.

So you’ve got people where they LOVE anime, but their anime experience is exclusively Naruto, DBZ, Pokémon, Digimon, Gundam Wing, Full Metal Alchemist, and Sailor Moon. Maybe Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Captors too.

Netflix’s anime offerings are more in line with those shows than with any of the other stuff.

Today's generation of casuals basically know of anime based primarily on what's available on Netflix, and if the thumbnail has a Netflix logo on it then it's a pro-click zone. It's not until I go to cons do I realize how many Seven Deadly Sins fans exist, and more so now that season 2 is airing in Japan and no streaming provider has said a word so they've been more vocal. I couldn't get my co-worker to watch One Punch Man despite all the raving endorsements until it appeared on Netflix, because that's all he watches.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm two episodes in and that uh was a creative use of the sounds that donkeys make.

This legit might be the best Nagai adaptation. Very strong visual style, really feels like its elevating the not-super-great source material into something special but also still from Hell.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 12, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

Congrats to Netflix on the success of their first hentai.

No but really, this series fuckin' rips, even if I can't tell if it's good or bad. The animation and music is great, at least. I'm 7 eps in but I have no clue what is happening at any point. Its paper-thin plot and insane pacing are fuckin me up. Just a lot of shouting about DEMONS and DEVILMANS and I'm not really sure what the difference is but I enjoy watching them fight, I guess.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No one has answered my question yet

Why do Ryo and Jake the snake Roberts have the same theme song

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's a shame there's no way to tell if this is doing well. Seems like a lot of people are talking about it and it's brought in tons of new Devilmen. Then Netflix commissions Guyver and I'm 13 again

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SMP posted:

Congrats to Netflix on the success of their first hentai.

No but really, this series fuckin' rips, even if I can't tell if it's good or bad. The animation and music is great, at least. I'm 7 eps in but I have no clue what is happening at any point. Its paper-thin plot and insane pacing are fuckin me up. Just a lot of shouting about DEMONS and DEVILMANS and I'm not really sure what the difference is but I enjoy watching them fight, I guess.

i am devilman

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

this show is dope and im going to continue watching it with great interest

just finished episode 4

edit: finished the series

cool

Cronodoculous fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Go Nagay

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

whats funny about that is from the perspective of someone who's been watching anime since the 80/90's Naruto fans are the biggest dorks imaginable lmfao

RME
Feb 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure watching Devilman, while not enough to destroy casual status, does rather disqualify you from most descriptors derived from "normal".

It’s on netflix and actively promoted on it, the most normie exposure it can get

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of stuff inspired by Devilman, the 2006 The Guyver TV series just got put up on Crunchy. From what I remember it's a fairly decent retelling of the same manga volumes the old OVAs coveted without the weird changes (and a lot less gore unfortunately, since it was on TV).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of stuff inspired by Devilman, the 2006 The Guyver TV series just got put up on Crunchy. From what I remember it's a fairly decent retelling of the same manga volumes the old OVAs coveted without the weird changes (and a lot less gore unfortunately, since it was on TV).

It's good, but it doesn't finish the story. It just sorta ends.

The old OVAs (12 VHS tapes!) were my first introduction to anime. Ah, memories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've got bad news about the story getting finished....

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are you trying to tell me that they never finished writing the drat Manga!? I'm sure they did, it just was never translated, right guys?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It's me, im the huge weeaboo that works while listening to a crybaby's ost

(full OST except the OP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZ0L9_JbfI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Smoking Crow posted:

No one has answered my question yet

Why do Ryo and Jake the snake Roberts have the same theme song

Because it's loving awesome

Seriously, Buddy Ryo is probably my favorite track off the OST

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i never read devilman because go nagai's art is really loving ugly

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like that guy who keeps bragging he can handle spicy curry and then someone gives him some actually spicy curry and he starts visibly turning red while eating it insisting it's fine and he can handle it while coughing into his napkin between bites

This is me as well.

Also, uh... Netflix sure is all over the place with their original content right now, which I guess is sortof neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Buffis posted:

original content

Key words

• Locked thread