Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cygni posted:

I imagine you live near the NEC, because this is a pretty NEC specific opinion.

The NEC specific opinion would be that there is actually a use for inter-city passenger rail in the United States, since that's the only place where that statement would be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cygni posted:

Are buses *not* cheap outside North-East Corridor?

In Canada the bus system is adequate for shorter inter-town trips, but long distances quickly make air travel more economical if you are not driving.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bolt/megabus/china buses aren't exactly everywhere, so Greyhound (or ironically Amtrak Connect/Thruway) is your only option, and they arent that much cheaper than train and loving miserable for the long distances in the west and south that people need to go. Train tends to be around the same time for not a whole lot more money, and its infinitely more comfortable and convenient, especially in some smaller communities. I've been on lots of the Amtrak distance routes, and in the West/South, you will absolutely see PLENTY of poorer people on the train. Saying poor people don't take rail is absolutely not the case based on what ive seen. Outside of the Northeast, I would even say its mostly poorer people in the main cars, and mostly old people/sightseers in the sleepers.

For example, say you are a poorer ag worker and you want to go from Bakersfield up to Winnemucca. By bus, its $70. By rail, its about $90, and by air it's $300+ (and a bus ride from Reno).

There are lots of people still in smaller communities where "lol just get on the cheap flight or on the $2 china bus" isn't a thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vains posted:

i dont understand the fascination with wanting to ride a train to get somewhere.

If I had the choice I'd much rather take an overnight train than deal with an airport. Sleeper cars are awesome.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Cygni posted:

It's not an NEC-specific opinion, it's a goony "I can't fathom people having different preferences/priorities/living situations from me" opinion. You covered the different living situation aspect, but I want to throw in that Amtrak's routes where busses are competitive (Cascades and the Chicago-hub Midwestern routes) all do pretty high load factors somehow despite there being "no market" for them.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If the western US had a car train between major cities that'd be pretty sweet, like if I could go from Denver or Dallas to SF or Seattle on the train but have my car with me.

On second thought that sounds insanely expensive though, at least if it was typical Amtrak pricing (I'd want a sleeper.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can’t really imagine using the AutoTrain unless I was a snowbird moving my car from Florida to the Northeast and back once a year. Every other case I would just rent a car.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could imagine doing car train in the morning for maybe a 3 hour trip north or south here, then drive home in the evening instead of booking a hotel until the next train runs back here.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, that is one way to shunt a rail car around. Just use tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEre7d18nH0

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
If I lost my job on the railroad, this would be how I would keep my connection to my railroad retirement. I would buy a tractor or a tug and just trailer it around make $200 a car industry moves on short notice.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

B4Ctom1 posted:

If I lost my job on the railroad, this would be how I would keep my connection to my railroad retirement. I would buy a tractor or a tug and just trailer it around make $200 a car industry moves on short notice.

It doesn't even have to be much of a tractor. That blue New Holland early in the video is rated at 170 horsepower, and that green John Deere at the 2 minute mark only puts out around 75.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 2, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

PremiumSupport posted:

It doesn't even have to be much of a tractor. That blue New Holland early in the video is rated at 170 horsepower, and that green John Deere at the 2 minute mark only puts out around 75.

I wonder how much the modification to add a compressor would end up being.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

I wonder how much the modification to add a compressor would end up being.

See as in other shots later in the video, there are wheels hooked to the 3 point hitch, I'd assume you could probably just have the compressor run off the pto and then hook up the airlines to that. Which would also have the knuckles of course.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if any of you have ever checked out the "virtual railfan" livestreams on youtube, but they have a playlist of "bloopers" which seem to largely consist of crossing accidents. I don't understand how so many people are so stupid around railroad tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjOoCY_7ms

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR9jbUvWYuLtkBm9Q9WOnYTJq_jkn7uUq

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why don't they look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know if any of you have ever checked out the "virtual railfan" livestreams on youtube, but they have a playlist of "bloopers" which seem to largely consist of crossing accidents. I don't understand how so many people are so stupid around railroad tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjOoCY_7ms

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR9jbUvWYuLtkBm9Q9WOnYTJq_jkn7uUq

To be fair, some very poor design decisions were made at that particular crossing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PremiumSupport posted:

To be fair, some very poor design decisions were made at that particular crossing.

Yep. This one's pretty good too. I have to partially blame the pedestrians here, but the guy still had plenty of time to get up to the stop and turn right, or turn around, or anything. Very deer in the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorkIF_sVXE&t=7s

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PremiumSupport posted:

Thats probably in the top 10% of crossings in America as far as signage and lighting and such goes. The left turn lane is goofy, though.

No matter how obvious you make it, multi track crossings just draw dipshits out who cant resist driving straight off into the void.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Cygni posted:

Thats probably in the top 10% of crossings in America as far as signage and lighting and such goes. The left turn lane is goofy, though.

No matter how obvious you make it, multi track crossings just draw dipshits out who cant resist driving straight off into the void.

Multi-track crossings work just fine when they're not in the middle of a divided street, and in this case I think they'd have the same problems even if it were a single track.

You have to know ahead of time that the left turn has to cross the tracks, or bother to read the signs that I assume are there, but who does that? The road is too small to trigger the "oh it's a divided highway I have to turn wide" thought process, and the level crossing looks a lot like pavement in the dark.

e: What the should have done is painted the railroad's grade crossing bits with the same "don't drive here" stripes they have on the road surface. As it is in the videos the paint stops giving the tracks the illusion of a driving lane.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Any driver that cant figure out that crossing really shouldn't be driving imo. No amount of striping and signage will help some dipshit drivers. There are thousands of multitrack crossings down the middle of medians in the US (thats how a huge percentage of light rail lines are laid out, and a good deal of urban heavy rail too), and most have worse signage and lighting than that. For example, here's one by me in LA:

Self driving cars can't come soon enough for some people.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yep. This one's pretty good too. I have to partially blame the pedestrians here, but the guy still had plenty of time to get up to the stop and turn right, or turn around, or anything. Very deer in the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorkIF_sVXE&t=7s

So the train runs down the middle of the street? That’s like something out of the early 20th century.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

smackfu posted:

So the train runs down the middle of the street? That’s like something out of the early 20th century.

It's super common.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Locator posted:

It's super common.

I wouldn't say that. There aren't a lot of places left with street running in the US, and those that do exist tend to be pretty lightly used lines.

It used to be a lot more common, but obviously railroads are phasing it out where they can because it's a pain in the rear end to deal with both for the railroad and the town.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I wouldn't say that. There aren't a lot of places left with street running in the US, and those that do exist tend to be pretty lightly used lines.

It used to be a lot more common, but obviously railroads are phasing it out where they can because it's a pain in the rear end to deal with both for the railroad and the town.

Two words - Light Rail.

Even not including LR, I can think of 3 streets off the top of my head just in Phoenix that have this going on, and I have to think that more industrial cities and a lot of older small towns still have this. Phoenix isn't exactly a big railroad town.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Isn't that layout the exact same one as the many and Belarusian videos of cars on crossings getting rammed by trams?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

smackfu posted:

I grew up in La Grange! The official town motto is, "We're on track!" :haw:

Previously, there weren't even any gates at the crossings through main street. Those tracks probably see 4-10 trains a day, being the main route between Louisville and Cincinnati.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's pretty common still. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_running#United_States

Maybe not 'super' common, but I've lived in three cities in three diff states that had it, so its obvi not ultra rare.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 12, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PremiumSupport posted:

Multi-track crossings work just fine when they're not in the middle of a divided street, and in this case I think they'd have the same problems even if it were a single track.
Hell, divided streets on their own give people enough trouble. I've been a passenger in three different vehicles where sober drivers have started a left turn in to the oncoming lane until someone else pointed it out to them.

I wonder how feasible it'd be to have an additional set of gates geared to the main ones that come down in front of the tracks when the road gates are up. It'd probably be effective against casual stupidity, and it's really not worth trying to battle advanced stupidity.

Cygni posted:

For example, here's one by me in LA:

Is it bad that the reason I knew it was LA was Grand Theft Auto V?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Zuph posted:

I grew up in La Grange!

I've always wondered: do they actually got a lot a nice girls there?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cygni posted:

It's pretty common still. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_running#United_States

Maybe not 'super' common, but I've lived in three cities in three diff states that had it, so its obvi not ultra rare.

Hmm... I just learned something. Since they only listed 1 street in Phoenix I got on Google maps in satellite view... and the other two streets I remember have had the rails ripped out. Didn't have a clue since I haven't been in that area in years.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

I've always wondered: do they actually got a lot a nice girls there?

Wrong La Grange.

The second line of the song says it's in Texas.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is 4:10am and I'm watching a 17 hour slowtv program of The Ghan making a trip from Adelaide to Darwin, quite a few people are livetweeting it too, including the broadcaster who are tweeting facts and answering questions. There is some decent drone footage of the trip too at certain locations.

SBS (a national broadcaster) aired a 3 hour version last sunday and it got high ratings so they've decided to air a 17 hour version this weekend. 2:40am to 8:30pm.

I wonder if they'll air the full 54 hour trip sometime in the future... or record a different journey like the Indian Pacific.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I binge watched this as a child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmgdB0UV1Y

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I had a similar experience with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4We-IkyARso

It was probably the only thing we had recorded on VHS about trains and I watched it too many times to count.

Edit: I've started watching that special on Australia. I had no idea they still ran multiple gauges like that. Crazy.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I had a similar experience with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4We-IkyARso

It was probably the only thing we had recorded on VHS about trains and I watched it too many times to count.

Edit: I've started watching that special on Australia. I had no idea they still ran multiple gauges like that. Crazy.

If you like steam engines, trick question I know, look up the Puffing Billy railway.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTpEIb-SuoM

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Excuse the meme bs, but what the hell is this:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

photoshop.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE