Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It might just be a bad display model. My launch Pixel 2 doesn't have any noticeable colour shift until extreme angles. The included USB-C > 3.5mm adapter is starting to cut out regularly while I'm walking though.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I compared it to the other phones on display and it was worse. It does seem like an amazing phone otherwise.

The displays on floor models have been heavily abused though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hungry Computer posted:

It might just be a bad display model. My launch Pixel 2 doesn't have any noticeable colour shift until extreme angles. The included USC > 3.5mm adapter is starting to cut out regularly while I'm walking though.

That's what I was thinking. I'm most likely going to get it - any tinting is offset by the awesome camera, which is the most important factor for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

That's what I was thinking. I'm most likely going to get it - any tinting is offset by the awesome camera, which is the most important factor for me.

You won't notice any amount of blue shift after a few days.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah the camera is great. I tend to have shaky hands and I can regularly get clear shots. It's a huge improvement from the 6P's camera.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Vague grumble: I don't like how I keep getting YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BETA TEST IPHONE 9 TAP OK TO PROCEED! etc redirect ads, from Android Police, on a mobile browser.

I mean you'd think they'd be aware that they're borderline malware.

I visit Android Police a lot on my phone and I've never seen an ad like that. Actually I've never seen a redirect ad at all, ever, anywhere while on mobile. I'm not running any adblocking or anything like that either.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

The blue tint on the standard 2 shouldn't be any worse than any other phone since it is a Samsung display, whereas the xl uses an LG display so it can have smaller bezels

I will say that I think the screen on my Pixel 2 doesn't seem as good as my HTC One A9's, especially at lower brightness levels. The viewing angles are much worse, but why the gently caress are you gonna be looking at your screen from awkward angles?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I visit Android Police a lot on my phone and I've never seen an ad like that. Actually I've never seen a redirect ad at all, ever, anywhere while on mobile. I'm not running any adblocking or anything like that either.

I've been getting redirects maybe once a week to a bunch of sites that would seem harmless. A lot of ones that are telling me that my Android OS is not safe blah blah blah. It's quite frustrating and I've got no idea what's been causing it.

Anyways, regarding the newest OnePlus debacle, here is a higher rated comment on Reddit:

quote:

First thing you should do when you buy a OnePlus phone is flashing a custom rom imho

lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The worst isn't just sites like Android Police with ads all over, it when they take up 90% of the visible screen and as you try to scroll past, even just a scroll touch activate the ad and takes you to a new page that breaks the current page you were trying to view, so when you go back it instead just closes the tab.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

S9 box got leaked lol

Something about a super speed super slo-mo camera?! and stereo speakers which is interesting.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

EdEddnEddy posted:

The worst isn't just sites like Android Police with ads all over, it when they take up 90% of the visible screen and as you try to scroll past, even just a scroll touch activate the ad and takes you to a new page that breaks the current page you were trying to view, so when you go back it instead just closes the tab.

Yeah gently caress this. I'm ok with ads, but these are garbage.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The selfie camera is 8 megapixel as gently caress!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Popup:

Scam ad:

Article I was attempting to read:

I thought this might be a Feedly thing - rip Google Reader - but no, got the exact same drat result in a Chrome mobile tab.

So, uh, boooo Android Police, boooooo Google we all know why mobile Chrome extensions aren't a thing

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

None of that poo poo happens when using the lord's true mobile browser, Firefox, with uBlock

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Seriously you guys if you've never tried Firefox or if it's been a while, give it another go.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
On the other hand, Firefox doesn't have any of my saved passwords.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I tried Firefox after the new update and the scrolling was still awful. Also Chrome's bookmark/password sync is still great when you're knee-deep in the google ecosystem.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Samsung internet browser is unironically the best browser on Android imo. Chrome performs like poo poo and doesn't have extensions, Firefox has lovely password management, lovely scrolling as mentioned and renders a lot of webpages weirdly.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

nimper posted:

http://passwords.google.com you can view them all here and start moving them over.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

minusX posted:

http://passwords.google.com you can view them all here and start moving them over.

Okay, but on the other other hand, I'm lazy.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

nimper posted:

Okay, but on the other other hand, I'm lazy.

+1 here. I've had to change from using google's stuff to 1pass since I had some accounts compromised so that was fun.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

adblocking VPN = best mobile web experience!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

The Samsung internet browser is unironically the best browser on Android imo. Chrome performs like poo poo and doesn't have extensions, Firefox has lovely password management, lovely scrolling as mentioned and renders a lot of webpages weirdly.

I use Chrome Beta, but this is correct, the Samsung browser is superb.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I returned my Pixel 2 XL in large part because of the awful blue shift, the Pixel 2 I've got in it's place also doesn't have a great screen but it's a big step up and okay for me to keep.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

adblocking VPN = best mobile web experience!

Can confirm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nimper posted:

I don't trust any browser to store my passwords*, especially since password managers are platform agnostic.

*Chrome at work stores passwords for random sites that require log in to download files. But those aren't my personal accounts, so I don't care about them.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

cage-free egghead posted:

I've been getting redirects maybe once a week to a bunch of sites that would seem harmless. A lot of ones that are telling me that my Android OS is not safe blah blah blah. It's quite frustrating and I've got no idea what's been causing it.

Anyways, regarding the newest OnePlus debacle, here is a higher rated comment on Reddit:

lol

It's funny to me that the solution to your problem (flashing a rom/rooting your phone/blocking ads on your device properly) is "lol" worthy. Are you dumb or just lazy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Any reason why the Bluetooth on my Pixel 2 won't connect to my JBL headphones anymore? :T

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rickets posted:

It's funny to me that the solution to your problem (flashing a rom/rooting your phone/blocking ads on your device properly) is "lol" worthy. Are you dumb or just lazy?

These comments aren't welcome here. There are reasons besides ignorance or laziness for not wanting to root a phone. gently caress off.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Okay so after this thread's advice I was all set to order a Pixel 2, but then my friend won a brand-new 64 GB Samsung Galaxy S8+ which he is selling for $600. What's the thread opinion on that phone? On paper it seems pretty comparable to the 64 GB Pixel 2, just with a larger screen and slightly worse image processing, and in this case slightly cheaper (especially if I can haggle him down a bit). I know it's not stock Android, but that's okay, and Samsung has a pretty good track record with hardware AFAIK so it'll probably last a while, right?

Quoting my original "here's what I want in a phone" post:

VikingofRock posted:

So I currently have a Nexus 5X. I really like it on a software level (no bloatware + stock android), but I've already traded it in once over a bootloop issue and now I'm starting to have hardware issues (non-selfie camera won't focus, battery dying quickly, and volume button "sticks"). I'm looking for a replacement.

Here are my "musts":
  • Reliability. This has been pretty frustrating with my Nexus 5X and I'd like something that will last maybe 4 years if possible.
  • Good camera, including a good selfie camera. I have a separate camera for vacations, etc, but for day-to-day life my phone is my primary picture-taking device and I love taking pictures of everything.

Nice bonuses:
  • Headphone jack (I really love my current headphones)
  • Water resistant. I don't want to worry about using it in the rain
  • Reasonably fast
  • Minimal bloatware
  • Stock android
  • Easily fits in my pocket

I don't really care about gaming or watching movies on my phone. My target price range is $500 or so, but that's negotiable. Any suggestions?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any reason why the Bluetooth on my Pixel 2 won't connect to my JBL headphones anymore? :T

Apparently restarting the phone worked. This isn't don't hardware issue is it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Okay so after this thread's advice I was all set to order a Pixel 2, but then my friend won a brand-new 64 GB Samsung Galaxy S8+ which he is selling for $600. What's the thread opinion on that phone? On paper it seems pretty comparable to the 64 GB Pixel 2, just with a larger screen and slightly worse image processing, and in this case slightly cheaper (especially if I can haggle him down a bit). I know it's not stock Android, but that's okay, and Samsung has a pretty good track record with hardware AFAIK so it'll probably last a while, right?

Quoting my original "here's what I want in a phone" post:

S8/S8+ is a good phone. Compared to the Pixel 2, camera is significantly worse, screen is significantly better. Samsung's OS has gotten a lot better, but the Pixel version of Android is noticeably better and you get updates. Don't expect Oreo, which came out months ago, to hit the S8 for another few months.

Rickets posted:

gently caress off. Just because someone doesn't want to root their phone doesn't make them dumb or lazy.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 12, 2018

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rickets posted:

"Why yes i like to do extra busywork in order to feel superior to people who value their time."

Why would you pay money for a device that is broken out of the box unless your brain is also broken? I don't want to spend time making my primary communications device work when i can buy something good from the start. By all means keep downloading ROMs and flashing and wiping cache and restoring backups on your own device but your advice is actively harmful to someone who might not know any better.

You have consistently terrible opinions and arguments and the only positive thing is that your repulsive posting drives people to do the opposite of your advice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I too like insulting people who do not want to spend 800 dollars on a flagship device.

Posted from my Pixel XL

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

I too like insulting people who do not want to spend 800 dollars on a flagship device.

What

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I like doing that, too, I'll do it next time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

don't buy a phone you have to janitor.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sleepwalkers posted:

don't buy a phone you have to janitor.

Alternatively, don't tell others to buy phones they have to janitor

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

and don't tell people they're dumb or lazy for not wanting to janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

and don't tell people they're dumb or lazy for not wanting to janitor.

This is kinda the key part imo. What a stupid and hosed up thing to say.