Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Basically they were a bunch of inhumans.
But as superhero stories go, they met Magik (stupid name) because they chasing the same bad guy and Lunella started to contact her on a message board. She sort of decided to stick around for a bit more after that.

While I agree that “Magik” is (and always has been) a stupid name, I’m torn on whether calling her “Magic” would be more or less stupid. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Here's my compromise: she can be officially named "Magik," but everyone has to call her "Maggie," and not take her edgy superhero name seriously.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wow, I guess Professor Xavier really is a jerk.

I thought he was currently a corpse with half his head missing?

Did they retcon that already?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Say Nothing posted:

No, that was when he was a jerky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The tweets at the start of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl are still the best thing.

USG #28

E: Yeah, and also this:

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2018

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

site posted:

So was secret warriors not all inhumans? I thought that was the gimmick

They were, but then Magik joined for reasons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Say Nothing posted:

No, but an echo of his astral presence is currently borrowing Fantomex's body.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Can somebody post the panels from Secret Warriors where Quake fucks knock off human torch and Ms. Marvel gets mad about it?

Mostly for the "We were just talking!" Line.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CzarChasm posted:

He considers being laid out with one punch "Going toe-to-toe with Batman".

Don't get me wrong, if I took a punch from Batman I'd brag about it too.

Guy Gardner was the dumbass conservative, Reaganaut of the JLI during that era for those who aren't familiar with the series.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Obligatory.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Out of morbid curiosity, who was the writer there?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

ecavalli posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, who was the writer there?

Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis. Art by Kevin Maguire.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He does grow as a character so it's not like he's just being a dumbass all of the time, just 90% of it. The original series and the revisits are great by the way and I highly recommend them to people as a great old DC gem.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah I got the JLI omnibus and thought it was fun. It wasn't super funny like I thought it would be though. Not that it was serious, just the things the writer did to be funny I didn't really find funny. Except the suburban Batmobile, that was great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Beau Smith did a lot towards rehabbing the character in the GG series from the late 90's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wasn't Guy like a heartfelt and honest special ed teacher before he took repeated head injuries and became an rear end in a top hat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Wasn't Guy like a heartfelt and honest special ed teacher before he took repeated head injuries and became an rear end in a top hat?

Sort of. They've retconned his origin a lot but the reason he was such a jerk was an abusive father.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it was because he was half alien

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought it was because he was half alien

That was an even later retcon. Now they just sort of gloss over that era

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

It'd pretty much undercut one of the main things we're willing to suspend disbelief over, but has there ever been a superhero who's actually suffered brain damage from constantly being beaten unconscious?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Blue Beetle was in a coma for 8 issues or so after Doomsday beat him nearly to death. And then he had ptsd and wasn't sure he wanted to continue being a hero.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Simon Dark #4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Esplanade posted:

It'd pretty much undercut one of the main things we're willing to suspend disbelief over, but has there ever been a superhero who's actually suffered brain damage from constantly being beaten unconscious?

There’s been multiple threads about newspaper Spider Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Esplanade posted:

Doctor Octopus died from it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darthemed posted:

Simon Dark #4

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I love how Naked Norrin has to insist on calling him the handsome god of shame.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Guy Gardner was the dumbass conservative, Reaganaut of the JLI during that era for those who aren't familiar with the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvImdaCzjiA

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Esplanade posted:

Guy Gardner had a total personality change after being one-punch'd by Batman and then banging his head on the underside of the JLA computer console. Of course, that was more sitcom-type amnesia than realistic brain damage.

Isiah Bradley, the original black Captain America, also ended up with brain damage IIRC, although I don't recall if it was from fighting or from problems with the early versions of the super-soldier serum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was the serum.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Esplanade posted:

In Y: The Last Man some of the characters pointed out that it's hard to punch someone hard enough to beat them unconscious and that it's harmful.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Alhazred posted:

In Y: The Last Man some of the characters pointed out that it's hard to punch someone hard enough to beat them unconscious and that it's harmful.

It also points out that shooting somebody in the leg tends to lead to very rapid onset of death by massive blood loss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Funny how violence in media is very much not like real life

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That's not a superhero comic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Esplanade posted:

The TV show Archer mentions it as a running joke whenever someone is hit so hard they're knocked out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The Power Ranger x Justice League series was amazing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

DigitalRaven posted:

Not just the SAS — they were backed up by a bunch of Marvel UK heroes who hadn't been seen in goddamn ages.

I'm amazed nobody had used the Tangerine/Mandarin pun before.

Though it's the bad Death's Head, seeing "Surprise appearance, yes?" for the first time in loving ages was a massive thrill when I first read it. It also marked a revival of the character; the good Death's Head would go on to show up in Kieron Gillen's work (including SWORD: No Time to Breathe, and the space-based bits of his Iron Man), and then a bunch of space-based Marvel stuff. Then, both DH and DHII featured in Revolutionary War. I loving love Death's Head, yes?

I really enjoyed MI13 (although I wish they kept the second CapB costume instead of that helmetless one) but my favourite part about that page is the writer knew the run was about to end and literally just chucked a bunch of classic brit characters in for a single splash page so he could say he'd done it. That's Death Head's only appearance in the run iirc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Guy Gardner is very bad. That's what makes him so great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Guy Gardner is very bad. That's what makes him so great.

Yeah, the fun thing about Guy Gardner is that he's an example of how you can be a brave and heroic person without actually being a all-around good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guy isn't a bad person! He's just a huge jerk!