Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
the coolest haircut in class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/SCMP_News/status/951436288699203585

In related news, the entire length of the railway linking Kowloon and the New Territories to China, which sees more than a million riders per day, completely shut down yesterday. Rumour is competent staff have been transferred to hurry the construction of the constitution-violating high speed rail line.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How are the police unable to move a 112-120lb woman?

Alternatively, police in the US might have the right idea after all.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 12, 2018

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Jesus that's frustrating to watch. I would have hoisted her over my shoulder and walked 20 feet out while the doors close.

I'm guessing in this sort of situation whoever successfully fixes things using any amount of force can expect to be promptly fired/sued.

Edit: Saw this in the news this morning. Apparently Marriott today set off major alarm bells in China for possibly violating cyber security/advertising laws and causing public outcry. Their offense? They had a questionnaire on their bookings app that accidentally listed Hong Kong, Tibet, Macau, and Taiwan as separate countries. Chinese netizens predictably lost their poo poo, and Marriott's website and app were shut down. An investigation is underway.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKBN1F00UT

quote:

BEIJING (Reuters) - Authorities in Shanghai on Thursday closed down Marriott International Inc’s (MAR.O) Chinese website for a week, punishing the world’s biggest hotel chain for listing Chinese-claimed regions such as Tibet and Taiwan as separate countries in a customer questionnaire.

The U.S. company issued an apology earlier in the day for the gaffe, which had drawn accusations of disrespecting Chinese sovereignty and calls for a boycott by angry netizens on Weibo, China’s version of Twitter.

“Marriott International respects Chinese sovereignty and its territorial integrity...We sincerely apologize for any actions that led to misunderstanding on the aforementioned stance,” the company said in a statement on its official Weibo account.

Aside from closing down the website, the Shanghai Cyberspace Administration said in statement that it was shutting the Marriott’s mobile phone application, in a move that would also disrupt bookings.

In a Mandarin-language questionnaire sent out to customers a few days ago, Marriott listed Tibet, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan as separate countries.

China claims sovereignty over all four of territories, though Taiwan is self-ruled and has democratic elections.*

The Shanghai government said it had asked Marriott to “take down all relevant content, conduct a thorough check on all contents it posted on its website and online application to prevent anything similar, and address the public’s concern in a timely fashion to eliminate a negative impact.”

It also said Shanghai’s Huangpu district market supervision bureau was launching an investigation into Marriott, as it was suspected of violating China’s cyber security law and advertisement law.

Last year, South Korean companies were hit heavily by Chinese economic retaliation over Seoul’s deployment of a US missile shield system.
* ;)

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 12, 2018

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Poor kid, if he can just hold it until 2020 this won't be a problem anymore

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

Pictures of eight-year-old Little Wang were shared tens of thousands of times

Rap names nobody asked for.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Talk about frosted tips.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

this is so unbelievably Chinese lol

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Yeah Yunnan is a poor as poo poo province but it takes stupid poo poo like this for any Chinese on the east coast to give a drat.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

quote:

He arrived early in a suit and shiny shoes, looking like a Chinese version of Manny from “Modern Family.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.70df81d81bc0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steakandchips posted:

I keep wondering if those solar roads actually generate any electricity or if they are just for Face.

All face.

They made up the robbery to cover for the fact that the tech doesn’t work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Karate Kid (2010) is the funniest movie to watch after reading this thread.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That article is LOL.

quote:

On his way to the opening of “Hangzhou Love,” Wang worked his phone while mulling ways to get female comrades to marry before they get, as he put it, “picky.”

Women are looking for the “three highs: high education, high salary and height,” he said, but that’s not easy to find.

“As women grow older and their social position rises, they will want better men,” he said. “If the Communist Youth League helps women from an earlier stage, it will be easier for them. As early as possible, ideally 25.”
"Let's get these bitches locked down before they wise up and get all smart and poo poo."

quote:

A recent basketball injury got him thinking that it would be nice to have a girlfriend, though. “I want somebody to take care of me,” he said.
Purebred Mainland man.

quote:

They can also read dating advice, or “lessons on romantic relations,” courtesy of the Communist Youth League. The lesson — singular — is that you should get married as soon as humanly possible.

Men are advised to become providers, women to find a provider, fast. “As long as he’s willing to spend money on the woman he loves, he’s the right one to marry,” one tip says.
Purebred Mainland woman.

Outrail posted:

When are you going to marry the poor girl?
Ummm, I don't spend enough money on her to prove a relationship. Do u know? Read the rules above!

Actually, one of her friends was whining about me for that reason. Here's some copy-pasted chat:

quote:

CG: My taiwan friend told me her indian boyfriend has 10k rmb income in shenzhen . But spent more than 3000rmb on her . His rent is about 4000rmb . So she told me at least the man cares for her . Is that true?

Me: What is his job?

CG: Working in the company . he has a degree ,MBA

Me: 10k? Hahaha. He's getting paid poo poo money. Maybe because he is illegal.

CG: Maybe

CG: And she asked do you spent money on me ?I said we don't do that . I don't like to spend other people money .

CG: Then she Said then you don't love me .

CG: And she said because she is old enough .so she knows you don't love me . I said oh I see .

CG: I told her I met your dad and mom . Twice ... she is surprised .lol . She said her India boyfriend won't take her to family ,because she is divorced .

Me: LOL. Please don't take any advice from this material girl.

fits my needs posted:

The Karate Kid (2010) is the funniest movie to watch after reading this thread.
I watched part of this in China with my ex-boss's daughter because she really liked it. The first time the Chinese girl smiled at Jaden I laughed so loud and said her parents would faint if they knew she was talking with a black boy. My boss's daughter said Africans are dangerous.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No irony lost on a self-titled communist youth league telling women they should marry for finances alone and judge people entirely by their private wealth. Communism: strict gender roles and an obsession with wealth and status.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I wanna live
with a Chaoshan girl
I could be happy
the rest of my life with her

A dreamer of pictures
I run in the night
You see us together,
chasing the moonlight,
My Chaoshan girl

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Baronjutter posted:

No irony lost on a self-titled communist youth league telling women they should marry for finances alone and judge people entirely by their private wealth. Communism: strict gender roles and an obsession with wealth and status.

Well, I mean, the obsession with wealth and status makes sense if you think about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsBd5FJ9teA
This commercial for what I assume is a korean company who wrote their own dialog for an english speaker to read. It sounds super weird hearing poorly constructed grammatically incorrect english professionally read by a native english speaking voice actor. Alternatively it sounds like Charlie Kelly wrote this commercial.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wonder if voice actors ever suggest corrections only to be told to just read it as-is, or is it considered unprofessional?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
amazing, thank you

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Admitting that the Baidu translated blurb the boss "wrote" is poo poo would cause loss of face

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Haier, CG loves you and if you break her heart I will quit my job, sell all i own, find you and murder you.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

My wang would also be that little were it exposed to such cold.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Exactly, this is korean corporate culture at work. Boss at marketing lists english fluency on his CV and he is the boss and he did the writing because he knows best and the 23 year old junior who just joined the company after living in Canada for 10 years and can tell the english is absolute poo poo knows to keep her loving mouth shut, and every possible level that reviewed the text didn't say poo poo because potential face loss of the person who wrote it and they all lied about their english fluency too and it would be terrible for anyone who call anyone else out on that. And of course the lowly voice actor has zero avenue for feedback because what the hell does she know, this was approved by corporate, marketing, the english localization team, and reviewed by the CEO so it's perfect!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

GotLag posted:

I wonder if voice actors ever suggest corrections only to be told to just read it as-is, or is it considered unprofessional?

I've worked at a couple places that employed native speakers that had massive building-high signs with terrible English. These signs changed every few months. people would point out that the english was bad, and they had 50+ native speakers at their disposal to take the 30 seconds to look and say "no, that's bad", but no one ever did because they boss is always infallible and unquestionable.

this was one of them, and now it's kind of internet famous (YBM Jongro 3ga):

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

GotLag posted:

when i worked in offices, I was told this regarding translations and editing:

"If you correct a client, it makes you liable. In the first place, you've created the expectation of free service. Secondly, you [your reputation] are now liable. Even if you see a huge glaring spelling mistake, you leave it in. Besides, they'll pay you to print it twice"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsBd5FJ9teA
This commercial for what I assume is a korean company who wrote their own dialog for an english speaker to read. It sounds super weird hearing poorly constructed grammatically incorrect english professionally read by a native english speaking voice actor. Alternatively it sounds like Charlie Kelly wrote this commercial.

Isn't that being read out by a computer?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gromit posted:

Isn't that being read out by a computer?

that's a hosed up way to call white people, guy

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well, it's probably a little too good for a computer right now, so maybe they just got someone who doesn't care, as was suggested. Especially given how much cheaper it would likely be.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
That's the more American than Americans accent that really well educated Korean women have

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ceciltron posted:

when i worked in offices, I was told this regarding translations and editing:

"If you correct a client, it makes you liable. In the first place, you've created the expectation of free service. Secondly, you [your reputation] are now liable. Even if you see a huge glaring spelling mistake, you leave it in. Besides, they'll pay you to print it twice"

Interesting, thanks. I used to live with a guy who did Japanese-English/English-Japanese text translation (as well as in-person and phone interpreting) for a living, I never thought to ask him if clients typically made changes to his output - but then he might not know.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This one is sort of clever but it doesn't quite get there.

Hurt Chinese feelings 24/7, enough salt for the sea of Japan.

Hero.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Baronjutter posted:

It sounds super weird hearing poorly constructed grammatically incorrect english professionally read by a native english speaking voice actor.

Aw drat son, that hurts my feelings.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

bajaj, did CG ever get her gallstones properly treated?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

https://twitter.com/cooperw12/status/951702327441920001

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
edit: reposted

big time bisexual fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2018

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So are they pulling out of HK, Taiwan, and the other places? I don't know how they would fix the issue with cards and other things if they removed those countries as options for billing, etc.

Ziv Zulander posted:

bajaj, did CG ever get her gallstones properly treated?
She's ignoring them while 50% accepting that there's not much she can do to make them suddenly shrink or disappear. She's no longer a huge blubbering baby about it when it comes up as when she first found out. She'll just continue to eat differently and pretend nothing is happening until the next time the doctor does an ultra sound on them.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am sad there are not more comments on that apology yet. I like the 200 likes the pro Chinese comments are getting. "OH HOW DARE YOU CALL US BOTS"

EDIT: The above Chinese poster is living in Orlando, using Twitter and Google, and whines about China's feelings being hurt. LMAO

EDIT 2: Ok, I was able to see the rest of the comments. The outrage over this is one of the funniest things. People are soooo upset. I like the replies using iStock photos of the Chinese flag. I like some of the comments by people getting all angry about everything and then you click on their profiles and it's them living in not-China. One girl was wearing a kimono and living in Japan, so evil. People telling them to get the "FXXK" out of China and they are liars and their apology is fake. So much face loss.

EDIT 3:

I imagine if a company "liking" a Twitter account is tearing your country apart, then it's a good sign the people and country are not very strong. But, the whole "no critical thinking" thing, etc.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

Interesting, thanks. I used to live with a guy who did Japanese-English/English-Japanese text translation (as well as in-person and phone interpreting) for a living, I never thought to ask him if clients typically made changes to his output - but then he might not know.

Lordy yes clients have dumb demands all the time. I did a website that had three different versions of the company slogan... and I had to translate them all in three different ways to match the Japanese. Meanwhile, another client recently demanded I correct a food product description to include phrases that weren't in the original Japanese, and made a fancy sake sound like a garbage candy commercial.
9 out of 10 translators agree: "Shut up and get paid." (The other 1/10 is the boss who edits everything into terrible Engrish after the native speaker submits it.)

• Locked thread