Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know if it will happen, if only because AoS doesn't need to do it like 40k had to in order to justify the Epic game. There is no need for chaos stormcasts because chaos warriors are already a well defined thing.

Also, there seems to be less of a risk of corruption, and more a risk of them getting fried and losing any connection to humanity that they may have had in the beginning. At that point, they become machines with no regard for human life.

Finally, do we really need more stormcasts?

I was more thinking of them as one off models similar to the Malign portents heralds, like one guy who is the "Arch-traitor fallen Stormcast" and then no one else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I was more thinking of them as one off models similar to the Malign portents heralds, like one guy who is the "Arch-traitor fallen Stormcast" and then no one else

Keldrek was never a Stormcast. He was a Warrior Priest of Sigmar that died and rejected becoming a Stormcast and went to Nagash's realm instead becoming one of his champions.

AnEdgelord posted:

AoS hasn't really explored the "corruption" aspect of Chaos nearly as much as 40k or even WHFB did, I don't know if thats an intentional decision or a function of the setting being so you but its always felt weird in its absence. So yeah I wouldn't mind the idea of a few Chaos Stormcast here and there. It should probably be used sparingly though, a few here and there rather than full on CSM style legions.

I think this is because unlike Warhammer Fantasy and 40k Chaos is in ascendancy here namely from controlling the realm of Metal and the Allpoints. Giving them a huge advantage over everyone else. In the other settings chaos are invaders coming to attack the human lands. While here they already control more of the world then the good guys.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keldrek was never a Stormcast. He was a Warrior Priest of Sigmar that died and rejected becoming a Stormcast and went to Nagash's realm instead becoming one of his champions.

I wasn't talking about an existing guy, more the idea of a (living) traitorous Stormcast who fell under the influence of Chaos. I compared it to the malign portents heralds because it would be similar to them in that its a model that is more of a generic Grand Alliance Chaos model rather than one attached to a specific battletome faction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I wasn't talking about an existing guy, more the idea of a (living) traitorous Stormcast who fell under the influence of Chaos. I compared it to the malign portents heralds because it would be similar to them in that its a model that is more of a generic Grand Alliance Chaos model rather than one attached to a specific battletome faction.

Ah that makes sense.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

There's a load of good reasons not to open the chaos stormcast door (stormcasts are hand-picked adults who have lived a mortal life and personally hate chaos for loving them over, space marines are stunted indoctrinated babies) but they'll probably do it for easy money/some creative director pushing the story in the most boring direction.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

They also don't make sense from a gameplay perspective, seeing as how Chaos Warriors are already chaos stormcast. Exact same statline as Liberators.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Warhammer Live - today at 4PM, Phil Kelly joins us to discuss Malign Portents – the start of a dark new chapter for the Age of Sigmar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to that we might see more Mortarchs. Like Vlad.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twhmKjfp6Mk

I'm guessing the voice is probably Neferatta, but I hope its Slaanesh

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I have a suspicion it's Morathi.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can't be, she's high priestess of the Cult of Slaanesh Order, not Death.

It's the dumbest fluff revision.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Can't be, she's high priestess of the Cult of Slaanesh Order, not Death.

It's the dumbest fluff revision.

Well, officially...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So given modern GW's propensity for big dumb hero models how long do we think it will be before we see a Sigmar model?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does Sigmar have a physical form in this setting? I thought he was just a god?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now Sigmar is real, and strong, and he is some massive star dragon's friend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

He does. Most of the Gods have a physical form.

I believe the current state is Sigmar is the God of the Heavens and Azyr, Grungni is the God of Metal and Chamon, Grimnir is the God of Fire and Aqshy (Currently incapacitated), Nagash is the God of Death and Shyish, Alarielle is the God of Life and Ghyran, Tyrion is God of Light and Hysh (with Teclis as an aid and Demigod), Malekith is god of Shadows and Ulgu (with Morathi as his Teclis), Gork and Mork or GorkaMorka are the gods of Beasts and Ghur. And the Chaos Gods are the Gods of Chaos and it's realm with the Great Horned Rat having joined their pantheon.

Pretty much all the gods are characters from the old world or Gods of the old world. All should have physical forms.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 12, 2018

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

afaik he's still tooling around in Karl Franz's dead body from the end times

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So they're definitely getting models at some point, basically

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Miles O'Brian posted:

So they're definitely getting models at some point, basically

Nagash set that precedent, so why not do the others?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It would be cool if they made actual Chaos God models. I'm not even sure how you'd do it, but maybe they could make it like an avatar type model.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Strongly doubt we'll see the Chaos Gods outside of avatars/their Greater Daemons. They're on a completely different level to the other gods, if they form a physical presence that's it, game over. Slaanesh only got taken out 'coz they were too busy chowing down on Elf souls and Tzeentch threw a spanner in the works, and even then they're just missing.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
(Phone posting sorry)

So years ago, I bought a Skaven army and never got around to playing it due to life getting busy and Fantasy going into its death throes. My friend got into Age of Sigmar recently and wants me to dig the Rat Boys out of the closet. So I am playing in a 1000 team game on Monday. I came up with this based on what I remember I had and stuff I wanted to see on the table.

I have no idea what I’m doing but I remember Skaven being strong near the end. Is this a dick move for a bunch of beginners?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Skaven Warlord (100)
- General
- Warpforged Blade
- Trait: Dark Avenger
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Warlock Engineer (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
10 x Stormvermin (140)
- Halberd
- Verminus Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade

Units
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

I’ve read the basic rules. Is there anything else I should do/read/watch beforehand?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That list should be fine. GH 2017 hurt clan rats pretty bad with the new crown of conquest.

The game is pretty straightforward. No real tricky rules you need to remember. Just make sure to keep track of how many from each unit dies for battleshock purposes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Strongly doubt we'll see the Chaos Gods outside of avatars/their Greater Daemons. They're on a completely different level to the other gods, if they form a physical presence that's it, game over. Slaanesh only got taken out 'coz they were too busy chowing down on Elf souls and Tzeentch threw a spanner in the works, and even then they're just missing.

Agreed, plus I think quantifying the Chaos Gods with actual rules would be a net negative for Warhammer as a whole. They're more effective as ephemeral beings who act through proxies and the vagaries of fate, more similar to forces of nature than actual individuals. Turning them into models that get murked by lascannons or stormcast hammers diminishes them a lot.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Agreed, plus I think quantifying the Chaos Gods with actual rules would be a net negative for Warhammer as a whole. They're more effective as ephemeral beings who act through proxies and the vagaries of fate, more similar to forces of nature than actual individuals. Turning them into models that get murked by lascannons or stormcast hammers diminishes them a lot.

I was thinking more along the lines of a direct avatar, like the Avatar of Khaine from 40k. Obviously you have the champions - Bloodthirsters, GUO, Lords of Change and whatever Slaanesh has. Probably some giant boob with other boobs on it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
One of my buddies realized he didn't feel like base painting 30 skinks.

The solution? White primer, a bottle of Shade and a Ziploc bag:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I knew dwarves would be small (duh), but I'm cracking up at how tiny these guys are. My only point of reference for Warhammer miniatures is Shadespire so I think the Stormcast Eternals were throwing off my sense of scale. They make a lot more sense when I set them next to the Sepulchral Guard.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TKIY posted:

Stealing this for the inevitable rat man paint project

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I knew dwarves would be small (duh), but I'm cracking up at how tiny these guys are. My only point of reference for Warhammer miniatures is Shadespire so I think the Stormcast Eternals were throwing off my sense of scale. They make a lot more sense when I set them next to the Sepulchral Guard.

Yeah, I have that problem too. Mine occurs from surfing the Internet too much and seeing extreme close-ups of models where they look about 8 inches tall, then picking one up and realizing that it's just over an inch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TKIY posted:

Stealing this but with Poxwalkers and Plaguebearers

Edit: Also why isn't there a poxwalker type chaff unit for Maggotkin? Seems like a weird thing to exclude.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Edit: Also why isn't there a poxwalker type chaff unit for Maggotkin? Seems like a weird thing to exclude.

Battleline Nurglings

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mango sentinel posted:

Battleline Nurglings

Even Plaguebearers are pretty cheap for what you get.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

they might just want to break from the X-marked marauders units the first two got, especially since mortal nurgle seems to be themed on small numbers of elite fat guys over hordes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Cause I feel like it after having given out all the gods might as well give the Current state of the Mortal Realms.

Azyr realm of the Heavens. Under the Control of Sigmar and his Order Buddies. Very little conflict there with the other factions.
Aqshy realm of Fire. Mostly under the Control of Sigmar and Order Buddies with new cites and towns being founded. Lots of conflict with Khorne over the area as Khorne used to have total control over it.
Ghyran realm of Life. Mostly under the Control of Alarielle and Order. Conflict largely with Nurgle and Destruction (Orcs, Gobs, Ogres). Nurgle used to have total control.
Chamon realm of Metal. Almost entirely under the control of Tzeentch. Dwarves like the Kharadron Overlords live there still and other order factions are attacking, but it's still under Chaos control.
Hysh realm of Light. Contested between Tyrion and Teclis with Tzeentch.
Ulgu realm of Shadows. Completely under the control of Malekith. (Now called Malerion because GW was possibly afraid of Disney) Malekith appears to kill anyone that comes into his realm. Order, Chaos, Death or Destruction.
Ghur realm of Beasts. Largely under the control of Destruction and the Orcs with conflict mainly being with Khorne forces.
Shyish realm of Death. Mostly under the control of Nagash his forces of Death, conflict was largely with Nurgle chaos forces. Stuff may change with Malign Portents.
The Allpoints which contains massive portals to all the other realms. Under the Control of Archaon and Chaos. The Aqshy and Ghyran portals are currently sealed by the forces of Order. And I think Destruction Sealed the Ghur Portal.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of a direct avatar, like the Avatar of Khaine from 40k. Obviously you have the champions - Bloodthirsters, GUO, Lords of Change and whatever Slaanesh has. Probably some giant boob with other boobs on it.

its called a keeper of secrets you loving philistine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Which looks like this as it is the last greater demon waiting on a model update.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Is it giving me the finger guns?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Injuryprone posted:

Is it giving me the finger guns?

Is "the finger guns" what kids today call an erection? Then yes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://malignportents.com/story/story-three/

The adventures of Horticulous Slimux continue, looks like the Maggotkin are going to play a big time role in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

https://malignportents.com/story/story-three/

The adventures of Horticulous Slimux continue, looks like the Maggotkin are going to play a big time role in the story.

Probably because Nurgle has been the one attacking Shyish lately plus they got lots of releases. I have a feeling the Nurgle focus will die down a bit later.

• Locked thread