Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just had my wisdom teeth removed, took all my meds, and I'm off till Tuesday. Gonna check out Bright and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of shocked Ben Wheatley wasn't involved with End of the loving World. I thought it felt much closer to his style than Wes Anderson's.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Bright was fine for what it was, silly cop movie in the vein of Bad Boys. About halfway through End of the loving World and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Bright was fine for what it was, silly cop movie in the vein of Bad Boys. About halfway through End of the loving World and I'm really enjoying it so far.

For something like a post-surgery haze Bright is probably a pretty good choice, yea. Especially if you grew up during the time when Will Smith ruled Hollywood with an iron fist.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/950218519752228864

Holy poo poo, finally.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dope! I didn't even know he had a new one coming out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:toot:

Unreal to think I've been anticipating that film for nearly a decade now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What is it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m guessing it’s Mute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah.

Moon is probably in the short list of my all time favorite films so I just want to see what he can do next that doesn't involve some lovely franchise adaptation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i really need to rewatch Moon again, it was so good. even Kevin Spacey Robot can't ruin it for me.

my wife and i walked out of Warcraft halfway through, i'm tempted to go back and finish watching it since at least at home i can get blazed and play with my phone when it gets boring

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Enos Cabell posted:

What is it?

Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize it didn’t really say, he quoted the twitter account in it.

But yeah, Mute, a movie that takes place in the same universe as Moon, he’s been trying to get it made since that came out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh shiiiiiiit i didn't even realize Sam Rockwell was gonna be in Mute!!!! ffffffuck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

oh shiiiiiiit i didn't even realize Sam Rockwell was gonna be in Mute!!!! ffffffuck.

Afaik he is reprising his role as escaped Sam so that should be interesting. I suspect it will be a bit part though but I'm not sure.

Also don't go back and try to finish Warcraft it's poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if you want to be utterly baffled and amused at the sheer inanity on offer, getting hella baked and watching The Boss Baby is a thing you can do

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize it didn’t really say, he quoted the twitter account in it.

But yeah, Mute, a movie that takes place in the same universe as Moon, he’s been trying to get it made since that came out.

Oh, badass! Moon is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of the past decade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't say I was expecting much but wow 47 meters down is loving terrible.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

if you want to be utterly baffled and amused at the sheer inanity on offer, getting hella baked and watching The Boss Baby is a thing you can do

Better idea: listen to the We Hate Movies episode covering that poo poo pile.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone taken Amazon's Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams for a spin yet?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Checked out Creep 2 last night, it sure was a thing, it wasn't as good as the first one and actually kind of boring, but I still will watch a Creep 3, I hope we get a whole Creep franchise.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Michael Corleone posted:

Checked out Creep 2 last night, it sure was a thing, it wasn't as good as the first one and actually kind of boring, but I still will watch a Creep 3, I hope we get a whole Creep franchise.

Watched this myself yesterday. Admittedly I am increasingly a Duplass fanboy, but I liked what it did as far as playing with horror tropes. The doofy jump scare attempts made me chuckle the first couple times. The interplay between the two leads really left me wondering where it was going as it's tough to tell throughout most of the movie who really is in control. I'm not sure how I rank it against the first movie; I enjoyed them both for different reasons. The run-time is exactly what it needs to be; any longer and the premise would really start to draw thin.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Watched this myself yesterday. Admittedly I am increasingly a Duplass fanboy, but I liked what it did as far as playing with horror tropes. The doofy jump scare attempts made me chuckle the first couple times. The interplay between the two leads really left me wondering where it was going as it's tough to tell throughout most of the movie who really is in control. I'm not sure how I rank it against the first movie; I enjoyed them both for different reasons. The run-time is exactly what it needs to be; any longer and the premise would really start to draw thin.

I was thinking maybe she was going to kill him and be the new Creep, last scene implies he is alive still though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

I was thinking maybe she was going to kill him and be the new Creep, last scene implies he is alive still though

What did I miss there? I didn't notice that and thought the last scene felt sort of pointless. I was even sort of looking for him in it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

What did I miss there? I didn't notice that and thought the last scene felt sort of pointless. I was even sort of looking for him in it.

When the reporter is on the train she looks up and is startled/scared at what she sees then cut to black. I just thought she saw him, could be wrong though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it was pretty clear the last scene was Aaron filming her

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Has anyone taken Amazon's Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams for a spin yet?

Unfortunately I suffered through the first episode when it was on tv, then because I'm an idiot I watched the second episode and it's still crap. It's a lot of wasted potential.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

When the reporter is on the train she looks up and is startled/scared at what she sees then cut to black. I just thought she saw him, could be wrong though.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought it was pretty clear the last scene was Aaron filming her

Ok, That makes sense I walked away feeling like I totally missed something.

Anyways, I just watched The Vault and it's a pretty entertaining little horror/heist hybrid. Nothing amazing and it fumbles around quite a bit at the end but I thought it was a fun way to kill 90 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think a third (and probably final) Creep is inevitable

fake edit: in fact the director has explicitly said there will be a third and final one!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Anyways, I just watched The Vault and it's a pretty entertaining little horror/heist hybrid. Nothing amazing and it fumbles around quite a bit at the end but I thought it was a fun way to kill 90 minutes.

I wasn't expecting The Vault to be good, but it was just aggressively bad.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm going through Electric Visions right now and I don't think it's terrible-certainly better than recent Black Mirror stuff if you're feeling sci-fi anthology hungry. It actually does at least try to play with PKD stuff like layered realities, lack of an absolute, final truth, and mental illness sometimes, so the name's not just a cash in.

However, it's PKD stripped of the paranoia, drug abuse, and absolutely sincere gnosticism, which is really where all the fun stuff came in in his writing. But it's pretty, has some genuinely good performances and can be ambitious in a way I appreciate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mover posted:

I'm going through Electric Visions right now and I don't think it's terrible-certainly better than recent Black Mirror stuff if you're feeling sci-fi anthology hungry. It actually does at least try to play with PKD stuff like layered realities, lack of an absolute, final truth, and mental illness sometimes, so the name's not just a cash in.

However, it's PKD stripped of the paranoia, drug abuse, and absolutely sincere gnosticism, which is really where all the fun stuff came in in his writing. But it's pretty, has some genuinely good performances and can be ambitious in a way I appreciate.

My problem with it (at least so far) is that it hasn’t gone full PKD weird. It hasn’t used any of the stuff that has become outdated ideas of sci-fi, like a guy coming home and taking off his computer gauntlets, and it hasn’t used the stuff that seems plausible with current technology and still out there, like a guy getting into an argument with his apartment door because he doesn’t have the money to pay it to open. It doesn’t have that same intense discomfort and existential terror something like Ubik has, and it doesn’t have anything that’s as scary and as deeply sad as A Scanner Darkly.

I really wish they had adapted Ubik, it’s one of my favorite books of all time. The prose is workmanlike at best, but I have never seen so many ideas crammed in so few pages.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My problem with it (at least so far) is that it hasn’t gone full PKD weird. It hasn’t used any of the stuff that has become outdated ideas of sci-fi, like a guy coming home and taking off his computer gauntlets, and it hasn’t used the stuff that seems plausible with current technology and still out there, like a guy getting into an argument with his apartment door because he doesn’t have the money to pay it to open. It doesn’t have that same intense discomfort and existential terror something like Ubik has, and it doesn’t have anything that’s as scary and as deeply sad as A Scanner Darkly.

I really wish they had adapted Ubik, it’s one of my favorite books of all time. The prose is workmanlike at best, but I have never seen so many ideas crammed in so few pages.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree.

I knew I wasn't going to love the show when episode 1 ended by coming down super loving hard on one side being the "real world" when something like Ubik rewrites the entire basis for the plot, or even the entire metaphysical underpinning for what's happening, about once a chapter all the way up to the last paragraphs and still leaves you reeling and not really sure of anything

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mover posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree.

I knew I wasn't going to love the show when episode 1 ended by coming down super loving hard on one side being the "real world" when something like Ubik rewrites the entire basis for the plot, or even the entire metaphysical underpinning for what's happening, about once a chapter all the way up to the last paragraphs and still leaves you reeling and not really sure of anything

This actually sums up why I didn’t like the show perfectly. It feels like it’s aiming more for a Black Mirror Esque Twist instead of leaving you anything to think about.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Travelers is so dumb but so watchable at the same time.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
A new Tom Segura stand-up special is on Netflix.

Also check out the new David Letterman show on Netflix - first episode guest is Barack Obama.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I feel like if you've seen any interview with Obama you've seen the one with Letterman.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any Obama is a painful memory of great times long gone

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Creep 2 was good. I'm stoked for the third one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tainen posted:

Travelers is so dumb but so watchable at the same time.

It’s sooo stupid but it’s good background tv. I’m finishing season two this weekend while I smoke weed and play Nintendo.

New Tom segura is really good, just as good as his first special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Erebus posted:

I feel like if you've seen any interview with Obama you've seen the one with Letterman.

I understand intellectually why Letterman is a draw for people of a certain age, but was he ever known as a great interviewer? I think I’m more excited to see Jerry Seinfeld’s new comedians in cars episodes. Live audiences are nearly always death for thoughtful interviews (even Colbert is limited to ten minutes.)

Long form works so much better in a one-on-one environment where every sentence doesn’t have to play to crowd reaction.