Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Thoatse posted:

The rusty spotted cat is the world's smallest cat, with adults weighing ~1kg, found in Sri Lanka and India

https://i.imgur.com/a8XQ4Os.gifv

It has never bought a jpeg

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Throw the book at him

*throws script for Squadron 42 at Crobberts*

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Toops posted:

Ok so I have a theory about this, let's test it out.

If you don't like json, you're either a neckbeard brogrammer and prefer yml, or a dusty old-timer who still thinks xml wasn't a huge mistake.

Semi-serious follow-up question, is there a node framework for properties files yet?

XML has a completely different usecase than JSON imo....sadly, people either don't understand that or have to use it because the guys that made the framework/middleware/whatever-forces-them-to-misuse-xml didn't understand that.

XML is so loving misunderstood, it hurts :/

Then again, the fact that JSON schema is beeing actively developed shows me people can also misunderstand what JSON is for :D

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

look at how culty it is

ZOMBO DOT COM

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217678626?t=08h48m08s

:gary:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

Ok so I have a theory about this, let's test it out.

If you don't like json, you're either a neckbeard brogrammer and prefer yml, or a dusty old-timer who still thinks xml wasn't a huge mistake.

Semi-serious follow-up question, is there a node framework for properties files yet?

I don't like xml either (at least for the purposes it's generally used for), and I had to look up what yml is.

I really don't like node.js, so I am not up-to-date on node frameworks.

Serializing stuff as json (and xml) is wrong unless it needs to be edited by humans, and then something else is usually wrong. Binary data ftw.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PederP posted:

Serializing stuff as json (and xml) is wrong unless it needs to be edited by humans, and then something else is usually wrong. Binary data ftw.

Binary data has no standardized scheme-definition, thus it can't be compared to XML. I agree with you though that XML is misused very, very often.

The big advantage of XML is that it defines it's own scheme, thus the file provides a contract you have to adhere to if you either want to parse it, generate it or update it. Plus it's standardized, so the parser doesn't have to know the use case...the XML-file brings everything with it.

I won't go into other advantages like XPath etc., but let's look at XML as a means to exchange data between unknown parties. It's perfect for that. I don't have to know who parses my XML, modifies it, and send it back. As long as the scheme I defined is solid, and as long as the file I get validates against the scheme, I have a file that will work in my application. I don't have to argue with the other party who hosed up the format or who has an error in their validation algorithm because everything is standardized. It is a wonderful format to exchange data between parties that don't know each other, thus it's wonderful for business applications that need to talk to each other, or stuff like - for example - document formats like docx, where - as long as each Word-processor creates a new docx file that conforms with the scheme defined by the inventor of docx - every application should be able to display and edit that file.

That's one big advantage of XML. It brings with it a ton of disadvantages, as it is expensive to parse, can grow loving large in file size and might need a working internet connection on the parsing machine if the schema-file is not present and needs to be pulled from a webserver.

Is it the right choice for a config file? Or for exchanging data between two processes you are in total control of? No, because you waste a ton of CPU cycles to serialize data into a format that is not made to do that. That's why JSON is cool and good! But JSON doesn't know anything about it's own structure, wether a certain parameter is allowed to have a certain value etc. pp., because it doesn't have to. JSON is not meant to be send to a complete stranger, make him gently caress around with it, and get it back in a state you can be sure of that it is still valid in YOUR application. That's what XML and similar languages are for, and they do a drat fine job.

As you can see, it kinda triggers me when people compare JSON and XML in the "one is better than the other" way, because they are ment for completely different tasks, but - and I agree to that - are misused so often that people have to ask "why isn't this guy using JSON for that usecase instead of cumbersome XML".

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

It can be compared in the sense that XML is very often used when (custom-format) binary data should be used instead. Games should use highly optimized, bespoke, binary formats for almost everything. The fact that CIG has used XML to send mesh data is insane. This isn't data to be shared among applications from different vendors. JSON, XML, etc. can be used in various parts of the production pipeline, but it has no place in run-time data for games. Config files being an exception, as they need to be edited by humans and are not really a performance bottleneck.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzGqM02Dxg&t=767s

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Streetroller posted:

Got depressed, went bar hopping... Picked a fight with a local.

I got footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVGO-os2s4

but you could run him over. it isnt a fair fight.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Great post that really rings true from my experience too. SC really seems like the the perfect nightmare brew of extreme complexity with total lack of clarity of purpose. Really makes me feel for their poor devs sometimes.

Ahem. I mean, you're an idiot and they're going to layer in the fidelity bit by bit.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PederP posted:

It can be compared in the sense that XML is very often used when (custom-format) binary data should be used instead. Games should use highly optimized, bespoke, binary formats for almost everything. The fact that CIG has used XML to send mesh data is insane. This isn't data to be shared among applications from different vendors. JSON, XML, etc. can be used in various parts of the production pipeline, but it has no place in run-time data for games. Config files being an exception, as they need to be edited by humans and are not really a performance bottleneck.

As I said: it's misused, like I'd say in 99% of the times it is used. Thus I totally agree, and totally get triggered when it's compared to other serialisation formats and marked as "worse". IIRC, the CryEngine actually stores a lot of poo poo in XML and basically forces you to use it, so that speaks a lot about the inventors of said engine.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

{
"company": "CryTek",
"skillset":
{
"XML": 1,
}
}

now you tell me wether that data came out of a database that has no native format for boolean values and uses stuff like TINYINT in the ORM used (argh), or from a system with a scale of 1-10 regarding skills

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 12, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/exitthelemming/status/951771997259882496

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJ60u7SUSw

AP fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 12, 2018

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

tuo posted:

{
"company": "CryTek",
"skillset":
{
"XML": 1,
}
}

now you tell me wether that data came out of a database that has no native format for binary values and uses stuff like TINYINT in the ORM used (argh), or from a system with a scale of 1-10 regarding skills

Should just be a blob of

{V}{6CryTek}1{X}1

(formatting is descriptive, I don't mean this is the literal format, as the parenthesis are of course not part of it)

Where X is an ID of the XML skill. Schema is implicit based on version V, with no naming of fields. Lists and string are prefixed with length. (Field and object offsets may or may not be stored depending on use-case).

(And it probably originates in a stupidly generic key-value pair abomination of a database that completely misses the point of how to use a relational database. So even if it has native formats for something, they're ignored.)

PederP fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 12, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PederP posted:

Should just be a blob of

{V}{6CryTek}1{X}1

Where X is an ID of the XML skill. Schema is implicit based on version V, with no naming of fields. Lists and string are prefixed with length.

(And it probably originates in a stupidly generic key-value pair abomination of a database that completely misses the point of how to use a relational database. So even if it has native formats for something, they're ignored.)

Exactly, I rest my case.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

At one point it probably was a selling-point to provide an engine with an "open" file format, such as XML. Easy to extend and debug! No proprietary file formats and vendor lock-in! (except for the exclusivity clause in the GLA, but don't worry about that).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What I'm getting at: that JSON over there is neither valid nor invalid. It becomes either valid or invalid once it is parsed in an application that knows what this thing is about (either by an SDK doc or by simply using a framework or whatever). There is no binding contract for random person X to determin wether that piece of information is valid in the scope it was designed for or not. That person would have to gather further information to make an educated guess wether that 1 means "True" or "they loving suck". Because a) that data does not have any context to it and b) it does not define a contract on how it has to be interpreted. That context comes from another source (like an SDK/API).

XML provides that, and is made to do that. Any XML file can always be validated by person X. There are standardized tools - agnostic of the usecase - to make the file "valid" or "invalid", and give insight on what the data contained means.

Unless......the XML file does not define a schema definition. Welcome to the 99% of XML data out there *blargh

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 12, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tl;dr: Star Citizen is bad, JSON is good, XML is good, everything cool is good when used correctly

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ED keeps on expanding while SC keeps on begging for money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKcclm3dFzk

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Erin keeps on expanding while SC keeps on begging for money.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
C(h)ode bloat

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

ED keeps on expanding while SC keeps on begging for money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKcclm3dFzk

Chieften looking sweet.

Where Banu Merchantman?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

tl;dr: don't lick a gift horse in the mouth

I petty well agree with most of your points. But gently caress me, the granma is plane bad. Ewer missing a couple off commas.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ponzi posted:

Fun fact - Brian May has a Phd in Astrophysics, so technically he IS a scientist, as well as a drat fine musician.

And he's married to Angie Watts (sorry - is that doxxing?)

fun fact - dogs can't look up.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So how many years do you guys think it'll take until I can scan the DNA of my friends and coworkers into Star Citizen and get 1:1 digital clones that I can torture and abuse? Follow up question, how many years until there's a Star Trek mod?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

fun fact - dogs can't look up.

What if they lie on their back?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

tuo posted:

What if they lie on their back?

Then their head would fall off, i hope you're happy you sick man!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rugganovich posted:

I petty well agree with most of your points. But gently caress me, the granma is plane bad. Ewer missing a couple off commas.

I hate the both of you.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MilesK posted:

So how many years do you guys think it'll take until I can scan the DNA of my friends and coworkers into Star Citizen and get 1:1 digital clones that I can torture and abuse? Follow up question, how many years until there's a Star Trek mod?

Captain Lesnick, Developer has already developed the technology, including the Star TrekWing Commander mod, but he only runs it on his private server.

He has taken to spending more and more time in-game, which explains his diminished role in day-to-day business activities at CIG.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

no_recall posted:

Chieften looking sweet.

Where Banu Merchantman?

hopefully non Alliance people can buy the Chieften as for the Banu Merchantman, looks like Ben 'Developer' Lesnick ate it

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Then their head would fall off, i hope you're happy you sick man!

I'm hollow, like death

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Binary data has no standardized scheme-definition, thus it can't be compared to XML. I agree with you though that XML is misused very, very often.

Counterpoint: protobuf

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

Im expecting your dish to change my mind. Bisquits and gravy are gross until yours manages ti grace my plate.

Recipe incoming. You want video or just photos?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

tak posted:

I also dislike protobuf as it relies on parsing and generating code. (I do concede there are very valid use-cases for protobuf, but I still prefer bespoke binary serialization for game development). But it's a good example indeed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tak posted:

Fair point!

PederP posted:

I also dislike protobuf as it relies on parsing and generating code. (I do concede there are very valid use-cases for protobuf, but I still prefer bespoke binary serialization for game development). But it's a good example indeed.

Also fair point!

There can be multiple solutions to a single problem which all are cool and good. I still maintain my point that XML shouldn't be compared to JSON in a "one is better than the other" situation, because both things are made for different problems. I can sink a nail with a bottle, but I shouldn't compare a bottle to a hammer when it comes to that.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 12, 2018

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

drat YOU PARADOX FOLKS WITH ALL YOUR FINISHED GAMES AND WORKING UPDATES AND FUNCTIONAL STUFF.

PAYING FOR FINISHED CONTENT IS SO PRE-2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDTPzdwga4

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Also where is the option, that my research ships automatically do all the anomalies? (Maybe use a adjustable threshold liek 15% failure or so).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Also, it only just fully hit me today the irony of CIG’s plight with respect to Squadron’s relationship to Crytek and Coutts. CIG must have made explicit declarations to Coutts about Squadron as a discreet standalone game, considering that Squadron alone was used as collateral for the loan. Yet to Crytek and elsewhere, Squadron is part of Star Citizen.

I would assume Crytek would be especially interested to see the Coutts loan documentation, to see just how CIG languaged Squadron to Coutts. Seems that would be far better than a public statement history repeat with confusing and contradictory quotes. How could they not have been extremely explicit in emphasizing their separateness? They’d have had to in order to reduce the appearance of risk and/or overcomplexity, right?

(Maybe this has already been discussed and I just missed it. Or maybe I misunderstand CIG’s position with respect to their separateness or not. It’s changed often enough that it’s hard to keep track. Or maybe CIG’s approach is that it doesn’t matter because NOTHINGBURGER... )

I discussed this before. This is the type of information that Crytek is going to ask for and receive, as it is pertinent and material to their claims.

Depositions and discovery, which I suspect are going to start soon after the MtD fails, are going to be a hoot.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Also, SC is the best space game ever, cause i spend 0 monies and get lots of entertainment