Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
New page!

The Assassination of Richard Spender by the Coward Isaac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well that rear end in a top hat was gonna do something stupid sooner or later. So there we go.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, I can see why the organization doesn't trust the storm guy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I guess sometimes his powers are ...hard to control...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if this is the same thing that happened in The Incident.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:rip: Spender :rip:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Noob down

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

... He never scored.

edit: well he did, but he is such a doofus that it was the first thing that came to mind.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst part (for Isaac) is that Hijack might just bail from Spender and thus all that gets accomplished is frying his teacher.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
The healer is on the way to show up for a dramatic moment

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

The worst part (for Isaac) is that Hijack might just bail from Spender and thus all that gets accomplished is frying his teacher.

so what's the bad part

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Probably the darkness monster that gets loose. If not for that it'd be a win-win.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Falstaff posted:

Probably the darkness monster that gets loose. If not for that it'd be a win-win.

I think if that happened it would need another medium to possess, otherwise it won't be able to run at full power. And if it's made of black spectral energy, the best nearby vessel would be Max.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The impression I got is that it's been ready to escape for a while now, but Lucifer has been keeping it at bay, so Spender's more of a cage than anything else. It's why Spender warned Forge not to kill him, because bad things would happen if he died.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe

Slime posted:

I think if that happened it would need another medium to possess, otherwise it won't be able to run at full power. And if it's made of black spectral energy, the best nearby vessel would be Max.

He's already possessed

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, but likely by another piece of the same entity.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Akett posted:

Yeah, but likely by another piece of the same entity.

Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
As a Pole myself I REALLY appreaciate the alt text today http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-245

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait, have we met Gomez Addams' buff cousin before? I don't recognise this guy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hes a local business owner who freaked out the student council ehen they were trying to intimidate max.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think this is the only other page he’s been in.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah for real this is absolutely what got Isaac kicked out of the club, he must have seriously injured someone.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Podima posted:

Yeah for real this is absolutely what got Isaac kicked out of the club, he must have seriously injured someone.

Dmitri is still the most probable option here, right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Trebuchet King posted:

Dmitri is still the most probable option here, right?

Yep.

**For those who missed this cool minor detail: he's in one of the flashback drawings of the activity club where they're fighting a giant goo spirit thing. Back in Isaac's chapter IIRC.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 12, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo you're right, that is a very well-hidden detail.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-5
Fifth panel, left side.

(P.S. Zack's archive links are all broken from like halfway through Chapter 5 onwards because his page linking scheme changed! Boo.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah Isaac said 'just a little' to himself before zapping Garcia here and Spender here, I think that's him taking a second to try to tone it down, do as little as possible because of what happened before.

Ugh, Storm God is a dick.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Yeah Isaac said 'just a little' to himself before zapping Garcia here and Spender here, I think that's him taking a second to try to tone it down, do as little as possible because of what happened before.

Ugh, Storm God is a dick.

In the panel where he's about to zap Garcia, Storm God is also very closely observing the situation. Probably waiting to see if it's a good opportunity to just waste someone with no warning.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This really makes it clear that Isaac's animosity towards the Storm God is entirely justified. Though I'm not surprised that it took a chance to try to waste Spender, since I think it's been suggested that Spender's the one who beat it and led to it being trapped in Isaac in the first place.

Also, Lucifer rules.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Podima posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, that is a very well-hidden detail.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-5
Fifth panel, left side.

(P.S. Zack's archive links are all broken from like halfway through Chapter 5 onwards because his page linking scheme changed! Boo.)

Their

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
Lucifer is bound to heroically sacrifice himself at some point due to someone's (Spencer's) stupidity. Or relatedly, Spencer gets decked in the face at some point and his glasses break.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cool page, but what exactly is Lucifer doing to stop the bolt?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, lightning does involve light, so maybe he can manipulate it?

I think the really interesting fact is that Lucifer is able to take control of Spender's body at any time, even with Hijack already having jacked it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Cool page, but what exactly is Lucifer doing to stop the bolt?

Light's faster than lightning therefore he can use it to greater effect than Storm God's mighty not-quite-a-lightning-bolt.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Holy poo poo, I just realized Local Business Owner is, for some reason, in what looks like a gym supply closet.

Like where Max just happened to find the bat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, lightning does involve light, so maybe he can manipulate it?

I think the really interesting fact is that Lucifer is able to take control of Spender's body at any time, even with Hijack already having jacked it.

That might be a medium thing; I wouldn't be surprised if Hijack wasn't familiar with possessing mediums or having to compete for control.Whoops, forgot something.

RandallODim posted:

Holy poo poo, I just realized Local Business Owner is, for some reason, in what looks like a gym supply closet.

Oh huh, that is suspicious. I wonder what the heck is going on with him; his introduction and now reappearance make it pretty clear that he's going to be at least somewhat important.

(Weird idea that just occurred to me, could he be the bigger of the cultists we saw talking to the pixeldogs? It just popped into my head after I remembered them while thinking of other one/few-appearance-but-probably-important characters and I noticed that they're both pretty large. But it could just be a coincidence so don't take this too seriously. (Unless it turns out to be right, in which case I totally called it.))

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2018

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Roland Jones posted:

That might be a medium thing; I wouldn't be surprised if Hijack wasn't familiar with possessing mediums or having to compete for control.

Spender's a medium for the shadow spirit though. Lucifer's in the sunglasses.

I'm not sure if this means anything. Can a spirit in a tool usually exert any control over its holder like this?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suaimhneas posted:

Spender's a medium for the shadow spirit though. Lucifer's in the sunglasses.

I'm not sure if this means anything. Can a spirit in a tool usually exert any control over its holder like this?

Whoops, that's right. Huh. I'm not sure what to make of that; will have to think about it.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Roland Jones posted:

(Weird idea that just occurred to me, could he be the bigger of the cultists we saw talking to the pixeldogs? It just popped into my head after I remembered them while thinking of other one/few-appearance-but-probably-important characters and I noticed that they're both pretty large. But it could just be a coincidence so don't take this too seriously. (Unless it turns out to be right, in which case I totally called it.))

I'm going to guess he's part of the Cousinhood, he looks like Walker and Spender would consider him icky (also has similar facial hair to the one who approached Walker, though he also looks a lot larger now http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-19)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RandallODim posted:

This is an amazing catch, and in this light his introduction (bumping into Max) hits all the notes for a classic hero-first-meets-villain bit where the bad guy was this close to his goal and has no idea that he's just walked right past it.

I can't think of any examples right now, but it's definitely a well worn trope in anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I don't remember the page, but I'm pretty sure the "conspiracy" Max's dad put up that predicted the cultists stated that they were all local business men. I wonder if Max's dad is gonna become a cultist later.