Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] Why is forcing the animal to undergo 8 hours of exhaustion to the point it loving dies considered better and more honourable than killing it instantly?

nobody said it was honorable you dingus. it's an illustration of heat stroke and how human beings can leverage our physical advantages of easier heat dissipation due to hairless skin + upright posture as well as being able to carry water, which allows us to chase animals until they die or collapse from heat exhaustion

heatstroke is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also that dude is going to live forever, his cardio must be insane. i bet his resting heart rate is like 30

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] Why is forcing the animal to undergo 8 hours of exhaustion to the point it loving dies considered better and more honourable than killing it instantly?

Early hominids didn't have guns. Or much in the way of tools at all. And our teeth and claws suck. Our ancestors didn't do this because it was honourable, they did it because it was effective with what they had at hand. Also has the advantage of very little danger of injury to the hunter, which is spiffy if you don't have antibiotics.

As for why people are still doing it. Who knows? Probably the same reasons people still use traps and snares that don't kill the prey instantly. Or they want to stay in top shape in case of zombie apocalypse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think I would rather lie down from exhaustion than be surrounded by a bunch of dudes with spears and exsaguinated, but I’m not a quadruped so what do I know?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Facebook Aunt posted:

As for why people are still doing it. Who knows? Probably the same reasons people still use traps and snares that don't kill the prey instantly. Or they want to stay in top shape in case of zombie apocalypse.

The San still use persistence hunting (and other means) as they're still (partly) hunter-gatherers.

Or maybe it's because they want to be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GotLag posted:

The San still use persistence hunting (and other means) as they're still hunter-gatherers.

Or maybe it's because they want to be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

They will own at the zombie apocalypse. That's probably while they've kept up with the whole hunter gatherer thing. Meanwhile the rest of us are helpless if we run out of bullets and coffee.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://i.imgur.com/qXtvfPG.mp4

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Hope hes got appropriate eye protection.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Early hominids didn't have guns. Or much in the way of tools at all. And our teeth and claws suck. Our ancestors didn't do this because it was honourable, they did it because it was effective with what they had at hand. Also has the advantage of very little danger of injury to the hunter, which is spiffy if you don't have antibiotics.

I know why we originally did it, that was the best we had. The honourable part was mostly the youtube comments praising how things should be, all in tune with the animal and what not.

It just seems a really inefficient way of getting food. There's better methods.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara posted:

Nice try, beta farmerman.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Baronjutter posted:

Why doesn't he spend less time and energy and run to the supermarket instead of persistence hunting that way no animals have to get tired and die??

humans being bipedal already makes locomotion more efficient than the quadripeds we hunted. you can jog all day no problem... if you're in shape (lol)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ak Gara posted:

It requires an afternoon, a water container and some persistence. Seems like a pretty fuckin' efficient method to me.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

JB50 posted:

Hope hes got appropriate eye protection.

notice the key interlock

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I know why we originally did it, that was the best we had. The honourable part was mostly the youtube comments praising how things should be, all in tune with the animal and what not.

you read the comments on youtube. :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ak Gara posted:

i'm glad that you were here to tell us that chasing something until it dies is a time consuming and difficult way to get food relative to buying a dollar cheeseburger, i wouldn't have figured that out otherwise

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

boner confessor posted:

i'm glad that you were here to tell us that chasing something until it dies is a time consuming and difficult way to get food relative to buying a dollar cheeseburger, i wouldn't have figured that out otherwise

Neanderthal man was pretty stupid to not just swing past a Panera imo

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ugh, we get it, you vape.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Crane collapse in Austin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6PYOG6sWw

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

420 lase it

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

GotLag posted:

420 nm lase it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Eek! Water!

https://i.imgur.com/gjwCA5B.mp4

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can run/jog for 8 hours to hunt down animals several times your size with water and snacks you get a bloody medal of meat.

I don't know why you would call any form of hunting "Honourable" it is what it is. Great if you have a nitro 500 express magnum Lupa 50.cal hot load with expanding tip for that one shot one kill to cut down on suffering if you are getting something for the table. Be pissed of at the assholes killing rare animals for long chunks of Keratin and heads to mount on walls for sport.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

boner confessor posted:

Dudes wearing nike running shoes, he's clearly okay with using newer tech to his advantage. Maybe he could use a bicycle?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with persistence hunting is you've just ran for 8 hours just to get one meal for your family and now you're also 8 hours away from home.

Welcome to working at Amazon! (Except you're not guaranteed living wages so you might not be able to buy that meal for your family.)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Welcome to working at Amazon! (Except you're not guaranteed living wages so you might not be able to buy that meal for your family.)
:eyepop:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drat, so this is how you smoke space weed, 4^20

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

"Haha it looks like a b-- wait what??"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat, so this is how you smoke space weed, 4^20

Until the collimator gets all gunked up and your hipster beard gets set on fire.

E: Laser bong service technician is the most :drugnerd: job title I can imagine

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 12, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that he's got to turn a key in the ignition to start the thing up, I guess so he can take the key away when he's not using it to avoid having his stoner buddies loving around with it and accidentally lasering their eyes into smoking craters.

I wonder if he had to find that out the hard way.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love that he's got to turn a key in the ignition to start the thing up, I guess so he can take the key away when he's not using it to avoid having his stoner buddies loving around with it and accidentally lasering their eyes into smoking craters.

Soon there will be weed technology too powerful for the civilian sector, necessitating a pair of trained operators in a remote silo to turn permissive action link keys at the same time to permit Randy and his bros to get their buzz on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I'm betting whoever built the laserbong had enough experience working with lasers to know he'd better include an interlock, because people do dumb enough poo poo when they're sober.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Dude, has anyone seen my bong keys?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Axlerod posted:

Dude, has anyone seen my bong keys?

I wonder if it has airhorns, and if so what tune they play

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm betting whoever built the laserbong had enough experience working with lasers to know he'd better include an interlock, because people do dumb enough poo poo when they're sober.

Lockout/Tagout, mannnnn

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I wonder if it has airhorns, and if so what tune they play

Of course la cucaracha.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bet that guy sitting behind the left side is glad that was inflatable.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Why does the guy on the right wearing red disappear, it seems the truck crossed the line twice in two different takes and it was badly spliced together?

Or maybe a few frames missing?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ak Gara posted:

Or maybe a few frames missing?

Yeah definitely, the truck suddenly skips ahead quite a distance
Edit: here's a news site with a video, it has the same split second of footage missing
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-11/hay-truck-crashes-tour-down-under-finish-line/9320758

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I imagine the cyclists all screaming in panic as they fly through the gate, aware that the Maximum Overdrive truck is bearing down on them.