Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boner Break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sick snipe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the Long Dark good? It came with Quantum Break and Dawn of War III but I don't know much about it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the Long Dark good? It came with Quantum Break and Dawn of War III but I don't know much about it
It's a pretty neat survival game. Still a work-in-progress (especially on the story side) but it's definitely worth playing around with.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

11 days until Iconoclasts comes out and video games 2018 truly begins...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I enjoy game crafting. My favourite crafting might be mine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seeing little bars rapidly fill up is extremely good, as is witnessing an icon from your inventory transform into another icon.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Two Worlds had good weapon crafting where you were basically just duct taping weapons over each other until you had an amazing weapon

For good intended crafting, I like the crafting cycles in Terraria where you start off relatively weak but a few anvils and mine dives later you're overloaded with ore and you're equipped to go check out other regions and mine there. Terraria has a lot of specific points where you naturally progress up to the edge of your mining comfort zone before finally taking that important step to the next level of mining and it's always neat to do that and end up feeling more and more powerful as the game goes on, while the game always has ways to dial up the difficulty if you feel prepared to take things up a notch.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

exquisite tea posted:

witnessing an icon from your inventory transform into another icon.

DQ8 feels

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The best is when the item you need to craft needs like 2 of this thing, 3 of the other thing, and you have exactly 2 and 3 of those things respectively so your inventory is pristine once you finish making it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've heard that Factorio is really good in terms of crafting games as well since it is all about managing the production and reproduction and replication of your factory

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Factorio is very cool but also starts to break my brain once I get into the higher level production chains

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't like crafting but I like hoarding crafting materials.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like morrowind's spellcrafting/enchanting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Having not played Factorio at all and basing this impression entirely off of vids I've seen of it, Factorio reminds me of a lot of those minecraft mods that specialized in automation except Factorio seems to know how to balance the automation and keep the player involved while the aforementioned minecraft mods would suffer from automation making things too easy by getting lots of output for very little input or automation making things too complex by way of adding too many steps and requiring their own special form of fuel for each kind of automation

Idk if minecraft mods have gotten any better about that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Ohh yes!

When I was much younger and playing my friend's cop of Tomb Raider, he watched baffled as I hoarded all of the healing packs. For some reason no matter how much health I had left, I did not use them (for doing this he would call me Mr. Medipacks and it became my nickname for a while). I liked having a huge stock for if the time came.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Palpek posted:

that feeling of having everything required to make a set of the best gear in the game but not doing it because the crafting process is the most tedious garbage in the world, oh baby.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm the opposite of a videogame hoarder where i will happily deploy a nuclear instant kill bomb on a harmless deer if i feel like it, to save it in my inventory unused is as good as not having it at all

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I purged that habit a long time ago and don't even really buy items in RPGs anymore since games usually dump a bunch of it in loot anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Critical components to make crafting not suck in any game:

- No inventory weight
- No more than like half a dozen components required to make everything in the game
- Little bars that go up really fast when you hold down the make stuff button
- Icons that turn into newer, cooler looking icons in a flash of light
- Upgrades that are reflected on the character model itself
- Item text changes from an unimpressive color to a metallic, shining one

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Grouchio posted:

If I have barely any feeling in my arms below the wrists, should I be concerned or should I laugh it off as 'finally some part of my upper body isn't tensed up'?

Either stop sleeping while lying on your arms or go visit a doctor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can think of a few crafting systems I've tolerated but none I enjoyed.

It's definitely something that has the reverse effect on me when games try to use it as a selling point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Prey has some amazing crafting, thinking about it. I love watching the crafter and recycler do their things :D

Now that I think about it I am hoarding medipacks in that game too.

Mods rename me Mr. Medipacks.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Raxivace posted:

Combining three green herbs was better. :smug:

The rare instances where you could do like green + red + blue were good too.

This isn’t rare at all in 3, also idk what’s exciting about making a pile of brown powder but I bet that stuff gets you way hosed up

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Which game has the worst crafting though? I nominate the Tactics Ogre remake.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FFXIII, where I think I had the materials to craft something once before the end of the game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The crafting system in AC: Revelations wasn’t great taken by itself, but the blood bombs were fun enough to be worth the effort.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crafting in RPGs (especially MMORPGs) never seems useful because you inevitably pick up upgrades faster and by the time you're at the end game content, the best gear can only be obtained from doing dungeons or quests.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Moon Monster posted:

As I much as I love TW3 it has absoultely abysmal crafting. Recipes requiring both upgrading materials into their higher forms and downgrading them into their lower forms, having to use 3 different shops for crafting (+some special ones) with various advancement levels, having hundreds of different materials and objects with some of them doing nothing and others being overpresent in recipes so you run out of them all the time goddamn. Unless you reach the endgame you also have no idea what you can even sell and that some material forms sell for more money. At release all that poo poo also had weight constraints and you couldn't sticky a recipe while browsing your inventory or even filter that poo poo like you wanted, I'm glad they patched it a little but it's still tedious as hell.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 12, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

crafting in dragon age inquisition was utterly dire, but to be fair a lot of that game was utterly dire

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah witcher 3 crafting sucked balls. i still need to finish taht game actually, im in the last DLC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Moon Monster posted:

Legend of Mana even now, and a million GameFAQs hours later, no one really understands it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Legend of Mana even now, and a million GameFAQs hours later, no one really understands it.

I feel bad because when I first played it when it came out I remember it making perfect sense to me but now that I don't remember anything I hear a bunch of people had trouble with it.

I feel like it was absurdly easy to make broken equipment and that's why I stopped playing it after a while, but this could just be kid brains thinking I understood it and really just getting lucky or something, idk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

witcher 3 crafting was weird because you only need to craft a potion once, and then a single bottle of alcohol refills everything you have

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

witcher 3 crafting was weird because you only need to craft a potion once, and then a single bottle of alcohol refills everything you have

that was a good thing tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

But then you use like one item in one fight and rest and when whoops, chuck all that alcohest away

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Phantasium posted:

I feel bad because when I first played it when it came out I remember it making perfect sense to me but now that I don't remember anything I hear a bunch of people had trouble with it.

I feel like it was absurdly easy to make broken equipment and that's why I stopped playing it after a while, but this could just be kid brains thinking I understood it and really just getting lucky or something, idk

To make good equipment you just shove poo poo at random into a sword or whatever until it's really good. Everyone gets that. People just don't get the math behind the scenes that dictates how it happens.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/951828474980794370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That ain't my pikachu

• Locked thread