Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thx for the combobreaker Serek Dart.

"GET REKT XENO SCUM" TAXXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thoatse posted:

The rusty spotted cat is the world's smallest cat, with adults weighing ~1kg, found in Sri Lanka and India

https://i.imgur.com/a8XQ4Os.gifv

Just quoting this magical cattepic again. Want to pet that tiny beast.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

AlbieQuirky posted:

Just quoting this magical cattepic again. Want to pet that tiny beast.

drat, your taxxe game is super strong

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

I don't like xml either (at least for the purposes it's generally used for), and I had to look up what yml is.

I really don't like node.js, so I am not up-to-date on node frameworks.

Serializing stuff as json (and xml) is wrong unless it needs to be edited by humans, and then something else is usually wrong. Binary data ftw.

IDK how I knew you'd say binary , but I knew it. One might even say I called it.

I personally lie pretty squarely in the neckbeard brogrammer camp. At work, I'm accused of being a hipster on a near daily basis, which is annoying bc it usually interrupts something really important I'm saying about Wilco.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

This is the absolute best way to make everyone reading their comments slowly back away and eventually see them as lunatics, they do it all for you, you just got to be bullet proof while they do.

<Leans forward and knocks out his pipe on his boot>

Usenet was really the wild west in it's day. Mainly because there was no perceived etiquette, and secondly that we'd gone from a relatively Nerdy enclave before the summer that never ended spewed Aol users through the BOOTP gateway. On the one hand, 'me too' chains had a completely different resonance, and on the other hand it was a fertile ground of absolute insanity to cross and poo poo post your way through. There was an ebb and flow of nearly hundreds of accounts, and you could draw people into some crazy, crazy poo poo.

The trick is to be detached. Don't take it personally. If you do find yourself taking it personally, walk away and do something that makes you happy. it's one of the reasons I don't really engage with Citizens, because at least three of the boosters are career trolls. The rest of the shitheads on the internet are the bored tween coming into his first bloom of manhood before saying the wrong thing and getting the first slap; the internet makes it easier for this variant of shitlord to flourish, right up until they overstep the line and someone gets hurt.

It's easier if you're using a persona to do this. As a real person, I wouldn't engage. One of the things I learned in those usenet years was that the supply of idiots was inexhaustible, and it's not the one that are out for the fun of denigrating someone else, but those that have _nothing else_ to do than denigrate other people. We're hitting peak societal penetration of the internet, which means the whole thing is becoming an interesting projection of the human Id.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

IDK how I knew you'd say binary , but I knew it. One might even say I called it.

I personally lie pretty squarely in the neckbeard brogrammer camp. At work, I'm accused of being a hipster on a near daily basis, which is annoying bc it usually interrupts something really important I'm saying about Wilco.

My games may be poo poo, but loading and saving is fast :)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/AgileZealousWalrusHeyGirl

:gary:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

I agree with your assessments of xml and json btw. The fact that CryEngine uses xml to define mesh topology is absolutely insane. There was some 10 for the designers where a new guy was describing his job, which included using an internal CIG tool to "build ships", which was literally an xml editor. I almost fainted.

Also, word of advice: You don't even actually need to make games any more. All you need to do is pound coke, make a bunch of cokey, cokey promises to stupid people, take their money, run. You could be elected president.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

We gzip over the wire a lot. Back in the day we used to automate zip and unzip from FTP's XML files, so we tend to treat binary packing as somewhere in layer 7. Chucking around <1500 bytes in data usually means a single packet, so it's horses for courses.

Toops posted:

I agree with your assessments of xml and json btw. The fact that CryEngine uses xml to define mesh topology is absolutely insane. There was some 10 for the designers where a new guy was describing his job, which included using an internal CIG tool to "build ships", which was literally an xml editor. I almost fainted.

SVG is XML. I still bear the physical scars from that engagement.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

We gzip over the wire a lot. Back in the day we used to automate zip and unzip from FTP's XML files, so we tend to treat binary packing as somewhere in layer 7. Chucking around <1500 bytes in data usually means a single packet, so it's horses for courses.

That said, SVG fits vaguely into the category of “sending data to god-know-who using god-knows-what tool” so XML not an absolutely bone-headed idea as a choice. The problem is more that we're stuck in what reminds of the early days of HTML, when those tools — while ostensibly compliant to the scheme — have a funny tendency to not implement everything equally, much less using the same encoding methodology to get across whatever effect you're trying to create.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

He's awesome. The I give no fucks about what I look like sort of scientist.
His videos are good watch.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Hav posted:

OK, I take back what I said, can we go back to pedantic I ANAL talk?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enchanted Hat posted:

OK, I take back what I said, can we go back to pedantic I ANAL talk?

I literally can't stop you.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

PederP posted:

It can be compared in the sense that XML is very often used when (custom-format) binary data should be used instead. Games should use highly optimized, bespoke, binary formats for almost everything. The fact that CIG has used XML to send mesh data is insane. This isn't data to be shared among applications from different vendors. JSON, XML, etc. can be used in various parts of the production pipeline, but it has no place in run-time data for games. Config files being an exception, as they need to be edited by humans and are not really a performance bottleneck.

Okay, someone answer me a dumb question. I've never worked on a game project but I am a programmer of 10+ years...

Why aren't these extremely bloated formats (XML, JSON, etc) compiled into a single entity object at run-time.
Yes, you'd lose a bit of fidelity... but is it needed to have everything in XML outside the hanger? Lol.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh for fucks sake, don't get me started about SVG....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

I literally can't stop you.

I can :commissar:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet what's up with the blocked buddies tag?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Virtual Captain posted:

I need that old gif/mp4 of the commando(s) dancing on the exploding starter ship.

Still looking for this. I think it was somewhere around the time people figured out emotes made you into an immovable physics object capable of holding down a ship trying to liftoff.

Ran into Sandi's Nazi song which was before my time and I never cared to google it. I should have. Unforced CIG errors are great lol material.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...9/oh-dear-sandi
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...r-what-happened
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...hat-happened/p6

There are two sides to the debate arguing over whether Sandi simply sang Deutschlandlied or the actual Horst-Wessel-Lied. Some point out that she sang the illegal stanzas found in HWL but we'll never know because there's no more footage of it.

And because there's always more and its always worse, it was most likely HWL

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tuo posted:

Oh for fucks sake, don't get me started about SVG....

Yeah, same. I'm out. :negative:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But CIG signed a document stating they would only use Crytek's engine.

We don't know the circumstances of the termination (if any, and if it was done properly), so we can't say otherwise right now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

We don't know the circumstances of the termination (if any, and if it was done properly), so we can't say otherwise right now.

Be the kind of thing you'd whip out with the contract to prove that the whole suit is merely a canard.

Keeps the costs down.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
JSON chat be all liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQDnV092hI

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
man the new stellaris dlc looks p amazing

and I wanna see whats in the new elite stuffs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

If you Citizens can raise another 50-70 million, maybe Crytek can be persuaded to settle.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Abuminable posted:

There are several here who are completely obsessed with the guy. Trump Tourette syndrome.

"0% chance he beats the most qualified candidate in history"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

That clause also says they can't use any competing engine for a two year period after termination, so can you explain how the circumstances of the termination would affect this clause?

Also interested in which termination clause you think they used.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG signed a deal to exclusively use Crytek's engine, this is not about the exact reason of termination.

So you just admitted that, yes, they are in deep waters.

Either CIG
1. Showed Cryteks source code, violating their agreement
2. Changed engines to no longer be Crytek's, violating their agreement

10 million dollar nothingburger

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

So they might have proof of termination but they hired a lawyer who is as incompetent as them and forgot to include it in their response?

Actually yeah, I can see this happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Calling it now, next week is going to be awesome.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
E: never mind, it seemed funnier in my head

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 12, 2018

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, same. I'm out. :negative:

Write the svg is terrible blog. You know you want to

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Streetroller posted:

Okay, someone answer me a dumb question. I've never worked on a game project but I am a programmer of 10+ years...

Why aren't these extremely bloated formats (XML, JSON, etc) compiled into a single entity object at run-time.
Yes, you'd lose a bit of fidelity... but is it needed to have everything in XML outside the hanger? Lol.

XML is a good format for games to expose Game stats to their audience (gamers) who can then create wonderful tools and stuff.
It's also useful for Savegames in SinglePlayer Games if you want to allow your players to be able to do fun stuff.

Like with tools: While your hammer is cool and good for hammering nails. It might be be really bad at opening your Power drill. I mean opening it in a way that allows you to put it back together.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Stop stealing my brain thoughts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

Beet what's up with the blocked buddies tag?

Oh, whoops, I forgot to check if it got uploaded.

Blocked Buddies gangtag is now open for business. Get yours today for the low low price of fivebux:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AP posted:

Calling it now, next week is going to be awesome.

I would not be surprised if they send their response in today. Friday's are a very, VERY fun day to do those types of filings. It makes for a long and frustrating weekend for the opposition.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh, whoops, I forgot to check if it got uploaded.

Blocked Buddies gangtag is now open for business. Get yours today for the low low price of fivebux:

That's like paying for a parking spot at work.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think all officially recognized "Blocked Buddies" should get it free.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think all officially recognized "Blocked Buddies" should get it free.

Everyone proclaimed as blocked is quoted again three seconds later. Observation changes the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Streetroller posted:

They are (at build time usually), unless the developers are dumb.