Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm down for anything that gives Linton a personality trait outside of being horny. His character has been drowning in hormones since, like, Case 4.

Yeah, about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, it could be that he's going to have character development this arc.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Beautiful artwork but too many of the characters are super-annoying?

gunnerkrigg court is listed

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

420 Gank Mid posted:

gunnerkrigg court is listed

yeah but beautiful artwork

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sluggy Freelance has finally revealed what Oasis is.

Well, I guess it's more "where" she is than "what" she is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm impressed that they managed to come up with an answer I couldn't guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I still think she has ghosts in the gas tank, if you catch my drift.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I'm sure there'll always be further, more complex revelations to be added further down the line.

More importantly, what on earth is going on with the Sluggy website? There's this huge bizarre parallax-scrolling...thing up top to scroll past, and then a couple overlays blocking things as well. And then I can't even find the next and previous buttons. I always thought I'd binge on what I'd missed to catch up one of these days, but I guess Sluggy Freelance has found a way to stop that from happening. Probably for the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I used to be a diehard Sluggy reader and lost it about five years ago, out of curiosity what was the deal?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then I can't even find the next and previous buttons.
Use the archive. It loads entire chapters and there's even a bookmark feature. It seems it's been designed to encourage binging as you'll have a lot less clicks than page-by-page.

http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=1

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I used to be a diehard Sluggy reader and lost it about five years ago, out of curiosity what was the deal?

Well, first they established that Oasis would get a new body every time she was killed. So Torg and co. assumed she was some sort of ghost repeatedly possessing young women (especially because her personality would slightly change every time she switched bodies). Then they figured out she was pyrokinetic. Which, you know, made some amount of sense with the ghost thing. Kid with psychic abilities = powerful ghost?

But why would a ghost be controlled / reprogrammed by yelling into a watch, like Dr. Hereti did way back in the day? And why did each 'new' Oasis have the same armor/knives?

Then we got a few flashbacks with "kid" Oasis in an adoption facility. And she was painting these seemingly abstract art with lots of blues and whites and greens.

Then they managed to hunt down the "facility" where Oasis emerged from each time she died, and it was filled with cloned bodies and a big pile of identical equipment, so that made some amount of sense. Everything was robotically automated. But if she's just a series of clones that somehow shared memories, why is she pyrokinetic?

The final reveal, is that O.A.S.I.S. is apparently a computer AI inside a cloaked satellite, quantum-entangled with the mind of the clones. And the pyrokinesis is just a weapons platform loaded on the satellite. (The abstract art she produced as a "child" was shots of Earth from the satellite)

Exceedingly complicated and probably a total rear end-pull, but, well, I don't think anyone guessed it. :shrug:

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobulus posted:

Exceedingly complicated and probably a total rear end-pull, but, well, I don't think anyone guessed it. :shrug:
i've never been a sluggy fan but i respect this level of convoluted madness

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And yet, still as simple as IT WAS ROBOTS :byodood:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Donald J Trump posted:

i've never been a sluggy fan but i respect this level of convoluted madness

This bullshit is exactly why I read and enjoy Sluggy Freelance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Speaking of reveals, Daughter of the Lilies updated with a couple of pages and Thistle is a dragon/animal-thing, I guess, so meeeeeeh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Meh. That was kind of what I was expecting, even if I was really hoping for Be Ye Not Afraid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

New character sighted!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Still Sluggy then.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of reveals, Daughter of the Lilies updated with a couple of pages and Thistle is a dragon/animal-thing, I guess, so meeeeeeh.
Looks kinda werewolf-y.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jackard posted:

Looks kinda werewolf-y.

Something like that, yeah. I'm wondering how she manages to wear gloves with those huge claws.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe Mildred is assembling the next generation we'll be following in Tackleford and we just don't know it yet.

Not looking forward to Ryan having grey hair in the next time skip because it will make ME feel old.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Doesn't look like he has the personality to be a regular character.

Whatever happened to the promised Robert Cop series, anyway? I think Alison had a crisis of confidence and scrapped it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pistol_Pete posted:

Whatever happened to the promised Robert Cop series, anyway? I think Alison had a crisis of confidence and scrapped it.

He realized that the titular character would never show up in it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

He realized that the titular character would never show up in it.
That would make an interesting hook for a series. A comic about a character who never actually appears on screen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PMush Perfect posted:

That would make an interesting hook for a series. A comic about a character who never actually appears on screen.

Waiting for Godot: The comic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It'd be a little trickier to pull off, but you at least couldn't call it cliche.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been reading a comic. The men are all dead. :toot:

https://womanworld.tumblr.com/

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Been reading a comic. The men are all dead. :toot:

This is loving excellent and I'm surely going to binge on it, great recommendation!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its also being tidied up and expanded for a book release in August.
https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/woman-world

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good poo poo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Heads Up: I don't know if you folks checked the "About" page on the Tumblr, but the comic's most recent updates are all at Aminder's Instagram

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

She looks kind of like the cave trolls from early in the comic with the sharp teeth and claws, but with hair, so maybe a half troll or forest troll or something. The forest or nature troll would make sense I guess with her affinity towards nature magic. Hard to say since so far it has only been close up half shots and shadows, but it feels like the most interesting thing about the comic seems like a forced slow reveal, which is not surprising.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twenty Four posted:

She looks kind of like the cave trolls from early in the comic with the sharp teeth and claws, but with hair, so maybe a half troll or forest troll or something. The forest or nature troll would make sense I guess with her affinity towards nature magic. Hard to say since so far it has only been close up half shots and shadows, but it feels like the most interesting thing about the comic seems like a forced slow reveal, which is not surprising.

You mean the dark elves? I saw people were floating that idea in her forum comments, but I don't buy it. They had tinier claws and gray-black skin. I doubt one of them would've screamed and run away in terror if he saw another dark elf under her mask, too.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Nuns with Guns posted:

You mean the dark elves? I saw people were floating that idea in her forum comments, but I don't buy it. They had tinier claws and gray-black skin. I doubt one of them would've screamed and run away in terror if he saw another dark elf under her mask, too.

She's actually gone back and revised the cave elf pages, changing them a bit, most notably they now have much larger claws.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Mildred needs to work on her motivational speaking.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
She's going to get Grendel killed, isn't she

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gally posted:

Lilies: She's actually gone back and revised the cave elf pages, changing them a bit, most notably they now have much larger claws.
Also cave elves are hairless and have huge batlike ears

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

JethroMcB posted:

She's going to get Grendel killed, isn't she

His dying words will be that she misheard his mumbling and his name was never actually Grendel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dunno, I'm looking forward towards the narrative eventually introducing his mom.

Dunno who's gonna be Beowulf though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dunno who's gonna be Beowulf though.

Desmond Fishman.