Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
A top tier dril

https://twitter.com/dril/status/951677653085507584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
No work for me today!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pubic works project posted:

No work for me today!

We have nothing to do today except wait for the ice to kill us all and then we may get sent home a bit early?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Nixon tapes showed just how loathsome a president was when the cameras weren't on.

But even still, could you imagine Trump saying something as eloquent as even:

"You know what happened to the Greeks! Homosexuality destroyed them. Sure, Aristotle was a homo. We all know that. So was Socrates. Do you know what happened to the Romans? The last six Roman emperors were fags....You know what happened to the Popes? It's all right that Popes were laying the nuns, that's been going on for years, centuries, but, when the Popes, when the Catholic Church went to hell, in, I don't know, three or four centuries ago, it was homosexual."

Man I had also forgotten about:

(Billy) Graham: "This stranglehold (of Jews in the media) has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain."
Nixon: "You believe that?"
Graham: "Yes, sir."
Nixon: "Oh, boy. So do I. I can't ever say that but I believe it."
Graham: "No, but if you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do something."
"You know, it's a funny thing. Every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob? What is the matter with them? I suppose it is because most of them are psychiatrists."
"You know, the big Jewish contributors to the Democrats.
Could we please investigate some of the cocksuckers? That's all."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Where do you all live that you keep getting off work, and can you send some of those vibes my way

Kalli posted:

The Nixon tapes showed just how loathsome a president was when the cameras weren't on.

"You know what happened to the Greeks! Homosexuality destroyed them. Sure, Aristotle was a homo. We all know that. So was Socrates. Do you know what happened to the Romans? The last six Roman emperors were fags....You know what happened to the Popes? It's all right that Popes were laying the nuns, that's been going on for years, centuries, but, when the Popes, when the Catholic Church went to hell, in, I don't know, three or four centuries ago, it was homosexual."

Man I had also forgotten about :

(Billy) Graham: "This stranglehold (of Jews in the media) has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain."
Nixon: "You believe that?"
Graham: "Yes, sir."
Nixon: "Oh, boy. So do I. I can't ever say that but I believe it."
Graham: "No, but if you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do something."
"You know, it's a funny thing. Every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob? What is the matter with them? I suppose it is because most of them are psychiatrists."
"You know, the big Jewish contributors to the Democrats.
Could we please investigate some of the cocksuckers? That's all."

I would bet money that Trump doesn't even know who Socrates or Aristotle were. Hell, if you catch him at the right time he might not even remember who Nixon was.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

Hm a president who wants to start recording everything :thunk:

I agree that Donald Trump should record everything he says at all times and make it public.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We have nothing to do today except wait for the ice to kill us all and then we may get sent home a bit early?

Ice came in for us early this morning. Called my GM and he said "gently caress no just stay home."

So I'm playing Battlefront 2 right now and loving up some battle droids.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ice came in for us early this morning. Called my GM and he said "gently caress no just stay home."

By us, it went from single digits to 50 the last two days, so there's just a thick fog.

It's gonna drop to 15 tomorrow night after it rains some, so there's going to be amazing black ice tomorrow night.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

This is the worst thing about being able to work from home. There's no "oh the roads are dangerous/you're sick, just stay home" it's "okay well just work from home"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People laugh at Caligula making his horse his consul but now we have Trump and Kushner

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's currently 35 degrees in Houston wtf is going on

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kalli posted:

By us, it went from single digits to 50 the last two days, so there's just a thick fog.

It's gonna drop to 15 tomorrow night after it rains some, so there's going to be amazing black ice tomorrow night.

a week after it was too loving cold to go out

this weather pattern is normal, yep

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve been in a waiting room at a va hospital for two hours after a two hour drive. The surgeon i’m supposed to see for a consult isn’t here and i’m seeing a resident instead (who probably can’t make surgical decisions) so i’m likely to have to come back in 3-4 months when they have another appointment for me. I closed the taco truck last night and today as a result foregoing around $500 in my pocket to very likely waste my time today. :smith:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Intruder posted:

The End Times have come

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It’s almost 70 degrees in DC

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No, you see if it's cold when it should be, global warming isn't real. But of it's not cold when it should be, that doesn't mean anything.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s almost 70 degrees in DC

I'm actively sweating at the office. It's wet and humid and gross and I don't like it.

e: x-post from the Baltimore thread:

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This is what happens when it is 60 degrees outside, but there is still ice on the harbor. The warm moist air condenses and creates a plume of fog that is being blown into the city.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The average temperature goes up every single year but hey it's cold today, lol global warming nuts

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

Dear Animorphs Readers:

Quite a number of people seem to be annoyed by the final chapter in the Animorphs story. There are a lot of complaints that I let Rachel die. That I let Visser Three/One live. That Cassie and Jake broke up. That Tobias seems to have been reduced to unexpressed grief. That there was no grand, final fight-to-end-all-fights. That there was no happy celebration. And everyone is mad about the cliffhanger ending.

So I thought I'd respond.

Animorphs was always a war story. Wars don't end happily. Not ever. Often relationships that were central during war, dissolve during peace. Some people who were brave and fearless in war are unable to handle peace, feel disconnected and confused. Other times people in war make the move to peace very easily. Always people die in wars. And always people are left shattered by the loss of loved ones.

That's what happens, so that's what I wrote. Jake and Cassie were in love during the war, and end up going their seperate ways afterward. Jake, who was so brave and capable during the war is adrift during the peace. Marco and Ax, on the other hand, move easily past the war and even manage to use their experience to good effect. Rachel dies, and Tobias will never get over it. That doesn't by any means cover everything that happens in a war, but it's a start.

Here's what doesn't happen in war: there are no wondrous, climactic battles that leave the good guys standing tall and the bad guys lying in the dirt. Life isn't a World Wrestling Federation Smackdown. Even the people who win a war, who survive and come out the other side with the conviction that they have done something brave and necessary, don't do a lot of celebrating. There's very little chanting of 'we're number one' among people who've personally experienced war.

I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To think about the right and wrong, not just the who-beat-who. And to tell you the truth I'm a little shocked that so many readers seemed to believe I'd wrap it all up with a lot of high-fiving and backslapping. Wars very often end, sad to say, just as ours did: with a nearly seamless transition to another war.

So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

If you're mad at me because that's what you have to take away from Animorphs, too bad. I couldn't have written it any other way and remained true to the respect I have always felt for Animorphs readers.

K.A. Applegate

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

As someone who read a lot of animorphs in middle school, I didn't know it ended, nor did I ever hear of this letter, but lol.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kalli posted:

Erlichmann: 28-3
Nixon: Jesus Christ

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

You tell those 8th graders, lady

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

my brother and his girlfriend are at a birthing center in asheville, her water broke last night but they are sending her home to not take up a bed or something since her labor slowed down.

my entire family is on a group text trying to get him to take her to the hospital and I'm just sitting here trying to recall what happened during all of my wife's labor trials and tribulations to figure out if that is necessary.

nothing like feeling helpless when you're 1k miles away.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No we just didn't like that you bastardized your own characters and made them do poo poo they wouldn't normally do in order to wrap up your good book series in order to move onto your lovely book series that no one ever read.

God that ending still pisses me the gently caress off

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Butt Stuff posted:

As someone who read a lot of animorphs in middle school, I didn't know it ended, nor did I ever hear of this letter, but lol.

yeah it ended crazy dark

It was probably a little too heavy-handed but I cannot fault someone wanting to teach kids war is bad.

a neat cape posted:

No we just didn't like that you bastardized your own characters and made them do poo poo they wouldn't normally do in order to wrap up your good book series in order to move onto your lovely book series that no one ever read.

God that ending still pisses me the gently caress off

lol

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Never would've guessed that the books with the cheesy transformation covers would turn into Full Metal Jacket for tweens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

people died ross cried

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

there was also that time one the characters got PTSD from watching an alien slowly die as she gutted it and she spent the rest of the night washing herself until she bled

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

Chicago experienced a 32° drop between yesterday and today lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there was also that time one the characters got PTSD from watching an alien slowly die as she gutted it and she spent the rest of the night washing herself until she bled

That was Jake actually

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve been in a waiting room at a va hospital for two hours after a two hour drive. The surgeon i’m supposed to see for a consult isn’t here and i’m seeing a resident instead (who probably can’t make surgical decisions) so i’m likely to have to come back in 3-4 months when they have another appointment for me. I closed the taco truck last night and today as a result foregoing around $500 in my pocket to very likely waste my time today. :smith:

While the attending has final say, the resident does make a lot of the decision making, especially if he is in his 4th or 5th year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

a neat cape posted:

That was Jake actually

Volume 19 the Departure narrated by Cassie you loving scrub

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Holy poo poo I should've read Animorphs instead of Lord of the Rings. That sounds way cooler

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad I had Harry Potter so I didn't have to read that trash.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the first book has a cave full of emaciated humans in cages screaming helplessly as they are dragged into a pit of slave worms

Animorphs was loving rad

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Animorphs was after my time, but I saw that and was like hell yeah pulp kids book author, hell yeah.

I also saw recently that like a decade ago Nickelodeon made a cartoon out of Sideways Stories from Wayside School, so that's rad.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Cash Monet posted:

I'm glad I had Harry Potter so I didn't have to read that trash.

They were still selling Animorphs in the book mobiles even when Harry Potter was out..ugh, I still remember my tradition of reading every Harry Potter back to back with as little sleep as possible to refresh my memory before the next one came out. That became a Herculean task right around book 5.

e: by back to back I mean like in 3 days, extended to 5 for book 7 because I was just a boy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've never read or seen Harry Potter

my childhood reading went from Goosebumps-Animorphs-Xanth

Holy poo poo was Xanth a mistake

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Shout out to my Earthsea Cycle readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Goosebumps is mandatory for every generation and if you didn't read it well maybe you don't deserve to live