Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man I don't know what you're talking about. Battleships are awesome. Cruisers die in droves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That has also been my experience.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Artificer posted:

Man I don't know what you're talking about. Battleships are awesome. Cruisers die in droves.

How you build your battleships? Deck them out in artillery? Make them into carriers? Something else?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mainly use artillery battleships. They completely wreck AI fleets before the enemy ships even get in range.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Artillery is the best use for battleships. The real question is if you want a X weapon or not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jabarto posted:

How you build your battleships? Deck them out in artillery? Make them into carriers? Something else?

Have you played since the most recent patch? Last I recall, "almost entirely battleships" was the accepted efficient fleet composition.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jabarto posted:

I generally build XL+L mount battleships and dedicated carrier battleships (bombers/fighters based on if enemy has fighters or not) at a 3:1 ratio. The amount I build versus smaller hulls varies based on how I am playing my empire during that run through.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Artillery and carrier builds definitely seem to be the battleship's mainstay. I usually add battleship designs with a 'normal' mixed layout as well so there's something that can deal damage effectively once the fleets have a chance to close in or if two fleets happen to jump in on top of each other. I find that even with fleets that have equivalent fleet strengths that the fleet with the bigger hull sizes tends to win and clobber their opponent. That may change with the changes to fleet combat coming up but for now you usually want to keep pace with your neighbours.

I've also had a chance to finally watch today's stream in full, some pretty neat additions coming though I am more intrigued by next week's features being covered. It sounds like they can make the galaxy feel more 'alive'. I've also determined that my first colossus class ship is going to be named the Ishimura since their primary roll is planet cracking after all.

One odd thing I also noticed is that when Wiz ordered his own planet destroyed the colossus was collecting the resources present on the planet (a 2 physics research modifier) while it was destroying the planet. Almost like they hacked them to turn into a space station for the duration of the attack then switch back. I wonder if that means you could also mod in mobile stations at some point.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jabarto posted:

I mostly use artillery destroyers with my cruisers. Battleships always take the brunt of the casualties whenever I use them so I eventually stopped trying.

What? How?

I've had the complete opposite, lighter ships serve as meatshields for the battleships and the battleships form the fighting core of the fleet, preserved even if everything else dies to fight on again. Same for the enemy, too, battleships don't start dying in any serious numbers until the screens are whittled away.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I had to mess with the ship designer for the first time, to deal with an awakened spiritualist empire. Thankfully they spent most of their time running back and forth between two systems instead of getting my warscore to -100, so I got to experiment by losing around 4 fleets before attrition/tech improvements allowed me to just mass arc battleships, torpedo cruisers / corvettes, and PD destroyers to win. Torpedo boat corvettes seem pretty fun, I think I'm going to shift to just massing them and making them as cheap/fast to build as possible.

Battleships ate a lot of poo poo for me as well; it was mostly the fact that the FE's big ships had arc beams that targeted the big ships first, combined with their giant horde of fighter craft that would swarm on my fleet and start picking off one battle ship at a time. I know the meta is to warp away once they get close enough to do that, but A. I was in a federation and didn't want to retreat before my allies did in case the AI would suicide themselves (they were half my fleet's power), and B. I could just make new ones. I figured my PD destroyers would help but the AI fighter swarm did some weird flight path that pretty much avoided all of them so go figure. Putting PD on the battleships would mean having hangers and I didn't have any kind of tech related to that so I didn't want to.

One thing I dunno if they fixed in 2.0 but I really, really wish they would, is the ability to just queue empire-wide build orders, instead of having to micro between a bunch of worlds (and sector worlds) to get them to each build one ship. That was the worst part of relying on attrition, really.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 12, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Thankfully they spent most of their time running back and forth between two systems instead of getting my warscore to -100

I really hope that poo poo is fixed. It's annoying when a AE fleet gets stuck in an infinite loop so a crisis gets out of control in their sphere of influence, or they never successful prosecute a war nor defend their subjects.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

One thing I dunno if they fixed in 2.0 but I really, really wish they would, is the ability to just queue empire-wide build orders, instead of having to micro between a bunch of worlds (and sector worlds) to get them to each build one ship. That was the worst part of relying on attrition, really.

2.0 has a Fleet Manager

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I really hope that poo poo is fixed. It's annoying when a AE fleet gets stuck in an infinite loop so a crisis gets out of control in their sphere of influence, or they never successful prosecute a war nor defend their subjects.

I chalked it up to a remarkable display of hubris, which was maybe justified, since they had 300k+ fleet power and had destroyed two armadas at that point while losing only a single ship. :v:

they may have also been freaking out since my allied AI was being similarly stupid about the planets stuck in the infinite loop. They may have been engaged in some mutual locking behavior or something dumb. They would start moving again after a space battle but would then head back, save for one time, where they just orbital bombed a planet full of robots for a decade instead.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pyroi posted:

I really want to know two things:

How do Slave Shields interact with Ringworlds and Habitats?

Can a Planet Cracker Crack a Shielded World?

I hope a planet cracker can't, I'm now imaging some particularly pacifist/isolationist civilization that, upon seeing the rest of the galaxy being annihilated by fanatic purifiers or a crisis, decides to use the shield colossus on its own homeworld. Inward perfection, perfected.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

All these people independently hitting on the Spathi Solution make me giggle with glee :allears:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Are we going to suffer the xeno to live?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wow dealing with synthetic variants can quickly become a giant mess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow dealing with synthetic variants can quickly become a giant mess.

You can delete old variants if you upgrade all of your robits to a new one.

Getting your starting robits updated can take a lot of time though, so I usually end up with 4 variants: starter robits, then mineral, energy and science specialized ones.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

OP was last updated a year ago. What mods do people recommend?

My two mainstay gameplay mods are Gulli's planet modifiers and the More Events Mod. Those two really punch up and extend the early explore and discovery part of thee early game which is my favorite part.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I always use Tiny "x" where x are the various UI elements.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've also had a chance to finally watch today's stream in full, some pretty neat additions coming though I am more intrigued by next week's features being covered. It sounds like they can make the galaxy feel more 'alive'.
Was there anything other than pirates mentioned? It's always bugged me that the space whales and amoeba are usually all dead within a few decades. Be great if they and the crystals spawned through the the game and had a few spawning grounds etc, or you be able to set up sanctuaries, or even have the ai be just a little less trigger happy.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Was there anything other than pirates mentioned? It's always bugged me that the space whales and amoeba are usually all dead within a few decades. Be great if they and the crystals spawned through the the game and had a few spawning grounds etc, or you be able to set up sanctuaries, or even have the ai be just a little less trigger happy.

Pirates and marauders appear to be different - I'm guessing pirates now appear continually in unclaimed systems, whereas marauders have their own territory. Would be cool if the other galactic lifeforms had some sort of ecosystem though, and weren't just static tech goody bags. I want to farm spacewhales, goddamnit.

Edit: given that we can eat titans we should be able to dine on delicious spacemeats.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the shielded worlds made by the colossus are essentially a new 'destroyed' planet type unfortunately.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there appear to be two roles for titans, distinct from battleships.

first is intrinsic with the T-gun: siege. any starbase without ion cannons may be vulnerable to simply being destroyed for no cost by a titan. The distinctiveness of this role depends on whether or not starbases have an adequate defense against XL-grade weapons that does not also work on Titans.

second is force amplification. auras improve the performance of all your other ships, and let flagships specialize for roles. the available roles will depend on the auras made available, but i'm hopeful for auras that can alter the balance like causing actual accuracy penalties to enemy fleets - this could make corvettes highly resistant to M weapons. or more exotic, non-statistical auras like a Nexus-style Siege Shield that blocks long range fire.

the biggest problem with battleships imo is that especially before XL mounts they fit into the same place in the weapon balance as cruisers. Either battleships are better and you build battleships or cruisers are better and you build cruisers because both are vulnerable to the same things.

EDIT:

Also i cant be the only one who immediately thought VAYGR upon hearing this whole Great Khan thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0pg-Ie4C8

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 12, 2018

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I'd like the next species DLC to have opossums in space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Aleth posted:

I'm pretty sure the shielded worlds made by the colossus are essentially a new 'destroyed' planet type unfortunately.

That planet type has been in the game since the start (you can check it out with console commands). I have a feeling there was a quest chain involving one that got cut, either that or it was part of one of the precursor chains I've never finished. I've never finished any of the precursor chains, I always get to 5 artifacts and then every planet has been scanned by someone. The one time I did get six the 5% failure chance kept me from getting the last artifact :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aleth posted:

There is a mod that allows observation posts to encase planets in a shield while still interacting with the inhabitants. It could almost certainly be updated to use the global pacifier beam.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

there appear to be two roles for titans, distinct from battleships.

first is intrinsic with the T-gun: siege. any starbase without ion cannons may be vulnerable to simply being destroyed for no cost by a titan. The distinctiveness of this role depends on whether or not starbases have an adequate defense against XL-grade weapons that does not also work on Titans.

second is force amplification. auras improve the performance of all your other ships, and let flagships specialize for roles. the available roles will depend on the auras made available, but i'm hopeful for auras that can alter the balance like causing actual accuracy penalties to enemy fleets - this could make corvettes highly resistant to M weapons. or more exotic, non-statistical auras like a Nexus-style Siege Shield that blocks long range fire.

the biggest problem with battleships imo is that especially before XL mounts they fit into the same place in the weapon balance as cruisers. Either battleships are better and you build battleships or cruisers are better and you build cruisers because both are vulnerable to the same things.

EDIT:

Also i cant be the only one who immediately thought VAYGR upon hearing this whole Great Khan thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0pg-Ie4C8

One problem: Starbases can't be destroyed. Otherwise, good post.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
they should build planets out of whatever these stations are made of!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

One problem: Starbases can't be destroyed. Otherwise, good post.

I was under the impression that you just can't blow up the part that's effectively just a space flag.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are sectors still terrible? The level of micromanagement for this machine empire is... unpleasant.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
goddamnit every single tweet from wiz is making me so loving stoked for cherryh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I was under the impression that you just can't blow up the part that's effectively just a space flag.

I remember from the Dev diary that you can only occupy star ports, not destroy them. Never heard you can destroy parts of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"You can indeed mod in an Anime Enforcer" Wiz truly making the greatest 4x.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are sectors still terrible? The level of micromanagement for this machine empire is... unpleasant.

When I played around Synthetic Dawn's release with an AI mod I found the sector AI generally competent, even building appropriate robots to work various tiles. No idea what the go to option is now, or if that was vanilla behavior, though.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I remember from the Dev diary that you can only occupy star ports, not destroy them. Never heard you can destroy parts of it.

well you need to blow up the fort part, so all those little defensive stations explode real good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is something incredibly satisfying about forcing fanatical purifiers back so that they only have two systems.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PoptartsNinja posted:

That planet type has been in the game since the start (you can check it out with console commands). I have a feeling there was a quest chain involving one that got cut, either that or it was part of one of the precursor chains I've never finished. I've never finished any of the precursor chains, I always get to 5 artifacts and then every planet has been scanned by someone. The one time I did get six the 5% failure chance kept me from getting the last artifact :v:

I often run into the same problem, and then get a few events saying "Hey, something's happened and we've found a new Precursor Anomaly on Butts LXIX" that get me the 6 artifacts. My real problem is that I usually finish the chain and then "Hey, we've found the precursor homeworld! It's over there, inside the Death Bringer Skulltaker empire."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hunt11 posted:

There is something incredibly satisfying about forcing fanatical purifiers back so that they only have two systems.

What will be even better is when we can use shield generator Colossi to put their entire species in Time Out.

Maybe we’ll let you guys out of kitty jail in a millenia if our observation posts indicate your society is less poo poo :colbert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

You should make them submit and be a vassal. They'll never like you, but every time you look at the galaxy map you can laugh at them being under your thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

binge crotching posted:

You should make them submit and be a vassal. They'll never like you, but every time you look at the galaxy map you can laugh at them being under your thumb.

Tributary. They may not be willing to fight for you, but they'll always pay taxes.

• Locked thread