Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Volume 19 the Departure narrated by Cassie you loving scrub

She didn't watch anything die. She allowed a yeerk into her own head because she's a goddamn moron.

Jake sat there and watched one die in his own head in The Capture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holy poo poo was Xanth a mistake

Same. I even read past "The Color of Her Panties" but at least had the tiniest bit of common sense to rip the cover off of it.

Though as a kid I read everything. Got so many free bookit pizzas in gradeschool by devouring every Narnia, Oz, Goosebumps, hardy boys, nancy drew, ramona, Xanth, Redwall, Myth Inc....

Thankfully, Wheel of Time and Dark Tower eventually broke me of reading endlessly long series.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

a neat cape posted:

She didn't watch anything die. She allowed a yeerk into her own head because she's a goddamn moron.

Jake sat there and watched one die in his own head in The Capture

http://animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/The_Departure

quote:

The very second Jake orders his team to break off, Cassie tears the throat out of a Hork-Bajir. Cassie, ridden with guilt, runs away.

get on my level you loving casual

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I try and block most Cassie things out of my memory because I have never hated a fictional character more

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

Same. I even read past "The Color of Her Panties" but at least had the tiniest bit of common sense to rip the cover off of it.

Yeah I later found out that dude wrote a book in which a pedophile gives a speech about loving children that makes the jury weep and bemoan the injustice of consent laws

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/IAmSpilly/status/951671427299618816v

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

He pays someone actual American currency for that goddamn haircut

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I later found out that dude wrote a book in which a pedophile gives a speech about loving children that makes the jury weep and bemoan the injustice of consent laws

Yeah, same. I remember looking for other series he had written and thank god none of them appealed to me at all, and by then I just switched over to Stephen King, who also had a lot of weird child sex stuff in it, but hey, it definitely was horrifying.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Mark Davis gives no fucks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never read or seen Harry Potter

I’m reading it right now for the first time as a 32 yr old and THESE BOOKS ARE SO DOPE. I want to attend Hogwarts more badly than I want anything else

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

get on my level you loving casual

:anime:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I’m reading it right now for the first time as a 32 yr old and THESE BOOKS ARE SO DOPE. I want to attend Hogwarts more badly than I want anything else

They just make me angry at how dumb all the magical adults are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah just got the word offices are closing at 1pm.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AndUlv/status/951600595743444996

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I've become convinced that "book series" is the worst use of the medium because it's not like there's a page limit for a book the way there is a time limit for a television episode or a patience limit for a movie runtime. I realize the collective pages of some of these series end up being 100,000+ pages, but that ultimately just screams "lack of concision" to me. More and more I admire the one-off of anything, be it book or movie, because it has enough confidence in itself to know when its story is done.

Having said that, Animorphs owns. Meanwhile, I've never liked Harry Potter and probably never will.

Also, feel free to make fun of all of me for this because I was the kid who was really into Star Trek books as a kid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I recognize the inability to recognize sarcasm is a tell tale sign of autism spectrum disorder so in sympathy to those who experience cognitive difference allow me to explain that calling someone a "loving casual" for failing to remember a trivial detail from a children's book 20 years ago that I myself had to Google is explicitly meant to be tongue in cheek

God bless

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I recognize the inability to recognize sarcasm is a tell tale sign of autism spectrum disorder so in sympathy to those who experience cognitive difference allow me to explain that calling someone a "loving casual" for failing to remember a trivial detail from a children's book 20 years ago that I myself had to Google is explicitly meant to be tongue in cheek

God bless
lol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They just make me angry at how dumb all the magical adults are.

Yeah. I also don’t get how Mcdonagal didn’t join the Order. Head of House Gryffindor but you don’t feel like fighting the dark lord? gently caress outta here

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ross only hates Cassie because he wants to date Jake, and hell, god speed to him.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I read Harry Potter as they came out obsessively up until the one book where he got really emo so I lost interest. I haven't even seen the last few movies. I just ain't got time for emo teen bullshit.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Mel Mudkiper posted:

God bless

Nice meltdown

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I have no idea what an animorph is.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Fursona.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
First basketball, then Dark Souls, now Animorphs. It's been not giving a poo poo about things TFF Chat likes week for ol' Rinaldo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
gently caress off bitch

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/951871650571616257

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wish cuck wasnt co opted as an all purpose shitlord term because goddamn could you use it for Paul Ryan

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Ross only hates Cassie because he wants to date Jake, and hell, god speed to him.

Amomg other reasons.

She ruined that boy.

A hosed up book series about war and ptsd and the loss of innocence. For children

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

how can a human being function without a spine

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah. I also don’t get how Mcdonagal didn’t join the Order. Head of House Gryffindor but you don’t feel like fighting the dark lord? gently caress outta here

She was in the Order though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Probably Magic posted:

I've become convinced that "book series" is the worst use of the medium because it's not like there's a page limit for a book the way there is a time limit for a television episode or a patience limit for a movie runtime. I realize the collective pages of some of these series end up being 100,000+ pages, but that ultimately just screams "lack of concision" to me. More and more I admire the one-off of anything, be it book or movie, because it has enough confidence in itself to know when its story is done.

Having said that, Animorphs owns. Meanwhile, I've never liked Harry Potter and probably never will.

Also, feel free to make fun of all of me for this because I was the kid who was really into Star Trek books as a kid.

I was about to post and say the trick is to wait for a series to finish but I am still waiting for the next Ice and Fire so oops lol

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wish twitter would quit screwing with their API because god dammit my forums

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I was about to post and say the trick is to wait for a series to finish but I am still waiting for the next Ice and Fire so oops lol

Just read history, because then everything is just the dark middle chapter before things get even worse.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

loving lol if you think Martin is going to finish that before he croaks.

The final word will just be "gently caress you fanbois"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Nice try, but I'm not reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book written by the guy from Artemis Fowl, fucker.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

are the animorphs animations or do they morph into things or ...?

As a kid I read hardy boys, the three investigators, tom swift, mouse & the motorcycle, and by the time I was ~12 I was onto science fiction (azimov, hal clement), douglas adams, terrible fantasy series like pern, xanth, the myth books (robert aspirin), david eddings, and everything terry pratchett wrote. Thankfully I was probably too old by the time animorphs was a thing. Yeah google says it started in 1996, I was already in my late 20s when you kids were reading that stuff.

lol if you didn't have your teen hormones titillated by dragonriders of pern having sex because their psychic dragons were having sex and it made them super horny

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I loved the Three Investigators. their clubhouse was awesome, and I liked the one that involved the sword of Hernando Cortez

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I remember devouring them as they came out, but I don't remember a single detail from any of the stories. That's true for a lot of the stuff I read as a teen, I used to just plow through four to six novels a week and retain very little of it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I loved the Three Investigators. their clubhouse was awesome, and I liked the one that involved the sword of Hernando Cortez

Leperflesh posted:

I remember devouring them as they came out, but I don't remember a single detail from any of the stories. That's true for a lot of the stuff I read as a teen, I used to just plow through four to six novels a week and retain very little of it.

I just remember the clubhouse and I wanted one so badly. For some reason the encyclopedia brown plots stuck with me more.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

I read Harry Potter as they came out obsessively up until the one book where he got really emo so I lost interest. I haven't even seen the last few movies. I just ain't got time for emo teen bullshit.

I hated that book as a kid but having re-read it as an adult it makes way more sense. Harry just saw a dude die in front of him and it was all his fault he was there anyway.

That'd gently caress with your head a bit.

a neat cape posted:

Amomg other reasons.

She ruined that boy.

A hosed up book series about war and ptsd and the loss of innocence. For children

A kid gets trapped in the body of a falcon in the first book because he was careless and stays that way for the entire series.

Animorphs was messed up but a really entertaining series that made me read a lot as a kid.

Leperflesh posted:

They are kids who are given the power to turn into animals by a dying alien to let them fight against an invading force of slugs called Yerks that infect people's brains and turn them into puppets. If they stay as an animal for too long though they are trapped like it forever. The Yerks have already conquered many other alien races and I think at one point you find out the aliens who gave the kids their powers (the Andalites) were the ones who uplifted the Yerks, or made them or something like that.

It's a pretty complex and nuanced story for kids and by the end everyone is a broken person.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

As a kid I read hardy boys, the three investigators, tom swift, mouse & the motorcycle, and by the time I was ~12 I was onto science fiction (azimov, hal clement), douglas adams, terrible fantasy series like pern, xanth, the myth books (robert aspirin), david eddings, and everything terry pratchett wrote. Thankfully I was probably too old by the time animorphs was a thing. Yeah google says it started in 1996, I was already in my late 20s when you kids were reading that stuff.

lol if you didn't have your teen hormones titillated by dragonriders of pern having sex because their psychic dragons were having sex and it made them super horny

I know you're old, but I also know you know what Google is.