Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't grind, just play. Also shrines show up better at night in general since they're all lit up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're out climbing mountains don't just go up at random, look for rushrooms or swift violets. Generally if you climb there and follow them up, you'll find *something* whether it's an easier climb (more ledges), ores, koroks, or a view to something you might otherwise miss. I know there are a few places you can spot shrines that way.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

I'm so terrible at this game. I'm on the plateau and got the first shrine. Now I've been wondering around for hours just finding little things here and there but can't find another shrine. I've tried looking off the giant tower but that doesn't seem to do anything for me as anything interesting seems far away. I did find a purpleish eye laser shooting thing that I could not seem to damage with my weak rear end weapons. I've never really played Zelda games since like NES so I've got a lot of learning to do. Fun game tho.

Check your quests in the menu. The old fat hobo will basically point you in the direction of where you need to go for the next three shrines if you talk to him, he should be chilling at the top of the tower. They glow orange and if you zoom in you can mark them so you can use the map to figure out where they are. IIRC you can only see the three that you're supposed to on the plateau and just starting out.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Bloop posted:

Look with the slate zoomed in and you should easily be able to find the three shrines on the plateau

And then you can drop markers on them, so you can find them on the map.

E.f new page. But there are a couple of others you can see from the plateau but not get to immediately.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 7, 2018

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Just finished one of the shrines during the Champions Ballad stuff. If I die now, is that still going to be done, or do I need to do all the One-Hit Obliterator stuff in a single life? Hell, can I just go around, clear the camps and get the shrine fast travel points but not actually do them for now?

What actually are the rules for this thing?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Sdoots posted:

Just finished one of the shrines during the Champions Ballad stuff. If I die now, is that still going to be done, or do I need to do all the One-Hit Obliterator stuff in a single life? Hell, can I just go around, clear the camps and get the shrine fast travel points but not actually do them for now?

What actually are the rules for this thing?

The game autosaves, and you can save at any time during the trial. If you die, it reloads your last save. That which is dead at the time you save stays dead when you reload. I don't know what happens if you actually /leave/ the Trial and come back later.

Edit: Also, once you complete the Trial, you can never come back, and you can never use the One Hit Obliterator again. It is not a permanently-missable Compendium Picture, though.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Okay, that makes things significantly less stressful. Thanks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I've had a full compendium for so long I never thought to snap a picture of the obliterator!

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Holy poo poo I've had a full compendium for so long I never thought to snap a picture of the obliterator!

gently caress.

Thank god it's still there after the trial.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dear diary,

Today I drove my motorcycle down death mountain. It was loving sick, must've gotten 15-20 feet verts off some of those jumps.

I'm pretty sure, I'm forgetting something. Must not be important.

-Link

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I'm still enjoying my time prodding about how to play with Blood Moons.

The strangest part of the game that I can't quite fathom is that Hyrule Castle suppresses Blood Moons. You can stand outside, look at the sky, and see the cloud swirl along with the embers. But then you get no interruption at midnight. It all evaporates back to normal.

I could see somehow abusing this by going out in the world, doing poo poo, coming back into the castle to skip the moon, and then heading back out to wreck the game some more.

Alas, the game will still fire off a non-midnight BM if it gets a chance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Back when the game was new, I recall reading an article about a streamer who wound up getting a Blood Moon near the end of the Calamity Ganon fight.

https://kotaku.com/unlucky-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-player-gets-blood-moo-1793146258

As a result, the player was kicked out of the Sanctuary and had to do the Calamity Ganon battle all over again.

Some time after that, Nintendo patched the game to prevent Blood Moons inside Hyrule Castle.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

maltesh posted:

I don't know what happens if you actually /leave/ the Trial and come back later.

I left the trial after completing my first shrine to spend my then 4 orbs, and it stays completed.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I think I'm going to give up on the Trial of the Sword in Master Mode. Holy moly is that stressful, and I can't even get past half of the beginner trial. I read it gets even worse later on, too. :suicide:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Beginner trial, overall, is the worst.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I fired up sword trial for the first time and died to the hinox because I hosed up a button press.

:negative:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

I think I'm going to give up on the Trial of the Sword in Master Mode. Holy moly is that stressful, and I can't even get past half of the beginner trial. I read it gets even worse later on, too. :suicide:

It's silly but I just got insanely good at lobbing bombs with a Korok leaf and blasting everything from far away. You can then hoard everything up through to the final two levels and pretty much defeat everything from a distance.

The other ones are easier since you're given more equipment including armor and ancient arrows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The motorcycle is dope. It really should be just a little faster, but I really enjoy the freedom of movement it affords compared to horses. It's also cool riding around at night with the headlights illuminating the trees.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally beat the game after finding all the DLC armor, thoroughly exploring the castle, getting all the Shrines and power-ups, and enough seeds for Weapons and Bows. That was satisfying run. I'll probably come back to finish maxing out armors slowly overtime, it's fun to hunt for materials, farm dragons, and find koroks while doing it. But I think I'll take a quick break. By far one of the best gaming experiences I've had for years. I love exploration and it's what this game gives up in spades so kudos to them. Looking forward to re-watching the cutscenes in other languages after I've gotten the English out of my system.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally picked up the game around xmas time, it’s super fun so far. A friend told me you can parry the lasers that the big robots shoot, and this was the result of me trying it out.

https://twitter.com/CodCartSA/status/950591693979398144

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Finally picked up the game around xmas time, it’s super fun so far. A friend told me you can parry the lasers that the big robots shoot, and this was the result of me trying it out.

https://twitter.com/CodCartSA/status/950591693979398144

Same but I didn't have the extra fairy and it was off Hylia Bridge. :v:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lmao the music when you get the gerudo outfit

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So....is anyone else planning on buying the same Hyrule Warriors game for a third time lol?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mastajake posted:

So....is anyone else planning on buying the same Hyrule Warriors game for a third time lol?

It's posssssssssible.

But I'm still demanding HW2 with playable tooth-glint.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm only buying it for the second time so hell yeah

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

I'm only buying it for the second time so hell yeah

Finally glad I passed on the 3DS version

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Finally glad I passed on the 3DS version

Same. Also since it looks like Pokken DX is getting its own DLC, it's possible that we get new HW DLC for BotW characters. The 4 champions are basically perfect candidates.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LanceKing2200 posted:

Same. Also since it looks like Pokken DX is getting its own DLC, it's possible that we get new HW DLC for BotW characters. The 4 champions are basically perfect candidates.

And Sidon!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

mastajake posted:

I never got to play it and I am so pumped for this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
gently caress, I might buy it again if they integrate the DLC characters.

I have played it way too much, but its so good :shepicide:

This also means we get Lana's summons back, probably.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 12, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't wait to buy Hyrule Warriors again. What a fantastic game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I knew waiting for the Switch version of Hyrule Warriors would pay off!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Bongo Bill posted:

I knew waiting for the Switch version of Hyrule Warriors would pay off!
I returned the Wii U version because the framerate was both very low and jumped all over the place. My exact thought was "I hope they remake this for whatever Nintendo system comes out next, maybe it will be playable then."

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

what is it? a zelda-style fighting game or basically just regular LoZ but only boss-fights

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's a Zelda-themed Dynasty Warriors spinoff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I returned the Wii U version because the framerate was both very low and jumped all over the place. My exact thought was "I hope they remake this for whatever Nintendo system comes out next, maybe it will be playable then."

Its been perfectly playable on 2 systems already. This will be the third version.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dictator. posted:

what is it? a zelda-style fighting game or basically just regular LoZ but only boss-fights

Basically you wade through stages comprised mostly of hordes of mooks doing stylish attacks while trying to complete various objectives (capture these forts, beat this boss etc) on a time limit. Mooks will never hit you, they exist for you to murder in droves. There are 'sergeant' class enemies that serve as minibosses (Lizaflos, Darknuts etc) that have simple attack patterns, full characters which serve as boss fights and giant bosses which are things like King Dodongo.

Its a time and score management game more than anything. Nothing tends to be too hard to fight, the trick is doing it quickly enough while also fulfilling side objectives and getting enough kills/not taking damage.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a primarily strategic game whose main appeal is in rolling over the battlefield mowing down your enemies like an unstoppable god of war.

Sometimes you do this with a conductor's baton.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And sometimes you use the golden gauntlets and the ball and chain to rotate the entire earth around you midair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, its hard to overstate how fantastic most of the movesets in Hyrule Warriors feel.

except for like Fi, Agitha and Tetra.