Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave having a Very Bad Day Online

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It's like Dave is a big dumb dinosaur and deserves all the poo poo he gets

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Who knew Meltzer can be lazy, slobby and biased?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

time to face the facts. Wrestling journalism has always been a young man's game

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

trevor spelled backwards, mike.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i get all my wrestling scoopz from anonymous people on twitter who only post out-of-context screenshots accompanied by the thinking emoji

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Seams posted:

i get all my wrestling scoopz from anonymous people on twitter who only post out-of-context screenshots accompanied by the thinking emoji

And Instagram status updates.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

rovert posted:

It’s not every day that we get irrefutable proof of it, then have him double down on his error.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
*Dave reports Mania 33 top matches at least 3 months in advance, including an AJ/Shane match that sounds like a bad joke*

"lol Dave knows nothing"

*Dave reports Mania 34 top matches 3 months in advance, which are almost certainly happening*

"lol Dave has no sources left"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

mkay0 posted:

It’s not every day that we get irrefutable proof of it, then have him double down on his error.

For example:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/951548845309100032

https://twitter.com/Mariobrosfan94/status/951691520914141184

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/951701211283054592

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

*Dave reports Mania 33 top matches at least 3 months in advance, including an AJ/Shane match that sounds like a bad joke*

"lol Dave knows nothing"

*Dave reports Mania 34 top matches 3 months in advance, which are almost certainly happening*

Man, Jericho's not even in the company right now, what's the excuse gonna be this time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I decided to take a listen to the Best of 2017, but when the #50 entry took 20 loving minutes to complete I just gave up and read what the list was.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

"lol Dave knows nothing"

https://twitter.com/TheBradShepard/status/951476277336268801

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
wow THE brad shepard??

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

when dave was hinting about it weeks ago?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seams posted:

wow THE brad shepard??

I've been putting A Brad Shepard in a THE Brad Shepard box for years now and my kids can't even tell the difference!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol his “sourcing” was looking at that Hall of Fame list and assuming that since Taker wasn’t on it, he was coming back.

Nobody needs to suck his dick online because he guessed right.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will never understand why people take Meltzer as gospel when he's pretty clear that he's just doing his best take on things/ratings and ruminations don't really need to be backed up

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
After being away from WON since last summer, I found that Dave was a little hard to listen to. The Bryan and Vinny show is always fun, though. I figured I would grab all of the B & V episodes I had missed since then, but I foolishly missed August somehow. I am kicking myself for it now. :negative:

I had heard a fair bit about what is now known as Post Wrestling ( previously known as Review-a-Wai, I believe). Is there a particular episode from those guys that is a standout to a new listener?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like to read Dave's stuff and I appreciate his opinion and insight but yeah, I can't listen to him. It flips some sort of instant irritation switch in my mind most of the time with how he talks. It's hurried and stuttering and all around not a great voice for radio or podcasts

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I really enjoy the Dave shows when he is not talking about UFC but the main source of entertainment are the B&V shows for me.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I have started skipping ahead or skipping entirely when UFC pops up in shows. It's not a problem with Dave it's just I honestly could not give a poo poo about MMA period.

Jerusalem posted:

I decided to take a listen to the Best of 2017, but when the #50 entry took 20 loving minutes to complete I just gave up and read what the list was.

Also I'm pretty sure the main way I got through this is due to having a job I can listen to podcasts at. Some of those bits were way longer than needed to be.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
#50 absolutely needed to be that long. The whole thing is like 7 hours but I had two 3 hour drives over the holidays so I got through it with ease.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was mainly interested in that one because I've been to both of those restaurants he mentioned

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you didn't enjoy the saga of Bryan's bread then you and I listen to F4W family of podcasts for very different reasons

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I liked when he spent $60 on take out sandwiches for two people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

chucked my F4W sub after the abysmal Elgin coverage. Completely irresponsible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

I liked when he spent $60 on take out sandwiches for two people.

I liked the implication that there was a good Italian restaurant in the PNW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked the implication that there was a good Italian restaurant in the PNW

Well he couldn't go anywhere else because Sergio's is so good.

But the other place is better, but expensive and a different kind of good, so he went to Panera where they have no bread.

Also where is the Pillman book WOR?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

chucked my F4W sub after the abysmal Elgin coverage. Completely irresponsible.

I just did too, gonna swap it out for the POST Wrestling Patreon.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is there somewhere that summarizes the whole Elgin situation? I see snippets of things here and on twitter but I’m not really sure what has happened.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Dave Meltzer is an international treasure

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm ashamed to admit it but when I first start listening I thought the Granny segments were a waste of time and couldn't wait for them to be over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm ashamed to admit it but when I first start listening I thought the Granny segments were a waste of time and couldn't wait for them to be over.

I liked them for a few years but not so much anymore.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like it because it's a big differentiator to the other two B&V shows. I mean you've got Craig for the Retro Raw/Nitro show but that dynamic isn't really all that different since those shows aren't about Craig, whereas the Granny segment is very much about her.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Ghostpilot posted:

I had heard a fair bit about what is now known as Post Wrestling ( previously known as Review-a-Wai, I believe). Is there a particular episode from those guys that is a standout to a new listener?

They did best/worst of 2017 shows the past couple of weeks which are basically exactly like the year end episodes of the LAW. Those were ok. I haven't listened to anything else from them yet but I have to believe it's just like their old shows.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Well he couldn't go anywhere else because Sergio's is so good.

But the other place is better, but expensive and a different kind of good, so he went to Panera where they have no bread.

Also where is the Pillman book WOR?

I'm guessing it'll be available this afternoon.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is there somewhere that summarizes the whole Elgin situation? I see snippets of things here and on twitter but I’m not really sure what has happened.

Here's the deal as best as I can summarize:
-Lady gets sexually assaulted at an Elgin-promoted show by an Elgin-trained wrestler
-When confronted about it, Elgin decided she was lying and did nothing
-Elgin, for whatever, reason keeps a communication line open to the woman.
-Elgin says repeatedly lovely things to her like "are you gonna suck my dick or what"
-Also said bizzare things "Jeff Cobb smells bad" and "I'm the #2 gaijin in NJPW everyone loves me"
-Lady screencaps all this and after realizing Elgin wasn't going to do poo poo, goes public
-Elgin flips out, reiterates she's a liar, whore, etc etc.
-War Machine took their 30 second camera walkin promo spot during the NJPW entrances and exits to loudly proclaim "gently caress MICHAEL ELGIN"
-word in the air is that NJPW is none too pleased with this situation and are looking very closely at if they should cut Elgin or not
-Dave Meltzer takes Elgin's side in all this, tries to downplay it, engages in victim blaming on his radio show
-when questioned on the Board, Meltzer's proof was some tumblr-level blog post saying Elgin is absolved and Lady really is bad because she has sex and stuff.

Someone getting hurt, even if its not sexual abuse/rape is damning to a promoter. The last thing you do is ignore that it happened. Doing nothing says you do not give a single gently caress about the people coming to see your shows. Being lovely to fans, also damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

coconono posted:

Here's the deal as best as I can summarize:
-Lady gets sexually assaulted at an Elgin-promoted show by an Elgin-trained wrestler
-When confronted about it, Elgin decided she was lying and did nothing
-Elgin, for whatever, reason keeps a communication line open to the woman.
-Elgin says repeatedly lovely things to her like "are you gonna suck my dick or what"
-Also said bizzare things "Jeff Cobb smells bad" and "I'm the #2 gaijin in NJPW everyone loves me"
-Lady screencaps all this and after realizing Elgin wasn't going to do poo poo, goes public
-Elgin flips out, reiterates she's a liar, whore, etc etc.
-War Machine took their 30 second camera walkin promo spot during the NJPW entrances and exits to loudly proclaim "gently caress MICHAEL ELGIN"
-word in the air is that NJPW is none too pleased with this situation and are looking very closely at if they should cut Elgin or not
-Dave Meltzer takes Elgin's side in all this, tries to downplay it, engages in victim blaming on his radio show
-when questioned on the Board, Meltzer's proof was some tumblr-level blog post saying Elgin is absolved and Lady really is bad because she has sex and stuff.

Someone getting hurt, even if its not sexual abuse/rape is damning to a promoter. The last thing you do is ignore that it happened. Doing nothing says you do not give a single gently caress about the people coming to see your shows. Being lovely to fans, also damning.

Thanks for this. I guess Elgin is a source for Dave? Either way, I don’t think I’ll bother renewing my observer subscription when it comes up next.