Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chief McHeath posted:

I opened the gym this morning and one of the bench barbells still had weights on it. A 45+25 on one side and 45+10+10+5 on the other, but there were three other 25s on the racks on the same bench???

*X-Files theme plays*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Sounds like anarchy to me.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
It's like when you see a car double parked with a bunch of empty spots around it like wtf u doin mate but then you take a second and think maybe all the spots had cars in them when he went to park and had to park like that

Fallows fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 11, 2018

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
Yeah but 45+25 weighs more than 45+10+10+5 that person will have no gains.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Chief McHeath posted:

Yeah but 45+25 weighs more than 45+10+10+5 that person will have no gains.

What

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
It's plate math brother, a 25 weighs more than two tens and a five because it's bigger.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Ok so I got the blackout curtains up. Seems to be helping, I'm waking up at 5:30 am instead of 4:30 (I fall asleep around 10:30 pm most nights). How can I minimize the light leakage around the top and sides of the curtains? I'm thinking about getting some velcro tape to stick the curtains to the wall, and another curtain panel to cut up to throw over the tops.

I'm not sure if velcro tape is going to hold up to repeated uses though, or if it's gonna mess up my wall. I need something that can be opened during the day and closed again at night. I can't do the vampire life thing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Weak magnets. Sow one to the curtain and use mounting tape on the other. Use as many as needed.

You can get a pack of magnets at any hard ware store.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Killing Loaf posted:

Ok so I got the blackout curtains up. Seems to be helping, I'm waking up at 5:30 am instead of 4:30 (I fall asleep around 10:30 pm most nights). How can I minimize the light leakage around the top and sides of the curtains? I'm thinking about getting some velcro tape to stick the curtains to the wall, and another curtain panel to cut up to throw over the tops.

I'm not sure if velcro tape is going to hold up to repeated uses though, or if it's gonna mess up my wall. I need something that can be opened during the day and closed again at night. I can't do the vampire life thing.

Turn your house so it's not facing the sunrise.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't care about aesthetics (or opening the window) so I straight up duck taped the curtains to the wall.

Velcro tape or command strips will look cleaner, and command strip won't damage the paint although they are more l8kely to come off after a while.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Cool, lets go for it. During a good back workout the other day, I got some blood flowing.

I'll throw up some Abs and quads shots when I get on a roll. I've been going to my local gold's for over a year. On a whim today I decided to try the Mega-Gold's 10 mins away. Holy crap, I've never been so satisfied with such a huge space, wide range of equipment, and most importantly - no ones in there at 11am!
Few stats - 6ft 2in. barefoot, 210lbs, maybe something like 16% bodyfat.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 11, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Thick. Solid. Tight.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

KyloWinter posted:

Thick. Solid. Tight.

a good salami

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Killing Loaf posted:

Wet some tin foil and stick it to the glass. Used to do this on ships when i was on night watchkeeping. It also reflects the sunlight which helps keep heat down inside as well.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My gym just replaced all the bars with brand new bars. Usually I wouldn't complain about an upgrade, except the knurling on these bars cut my belly open while I was switching from bench to bent-over rows. Dunno what use knurling is in the center of a bar.

Guess I'm going to get leathery-rear end hands now.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Dunno what use knurling is in the center of a bar.
High bar squats

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I had a raz on a texas deadlift bar the other day. RIP hands

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
saw a dude rockin leather gardening gloves yesterday

swag

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

saw a dude rockin leather gardening gloves yesterday

swag
What is with all the skinny fat nerdos wearing gloves while doing 20lb lat pulldowns and that awkward machine that's for "abs" but really you're just cheating with a ton of other muscles and wasting your time. SON, THAT AIN'T GONNA MESS WITH YOUR HANDS.

They started showing up about a month ago. I think they actually stopped showing up already, but it's hard to tell.

Gloves in general are a lifting abomination, but wearing them for things that wouldn't do a drat thing to your hands is even worse.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Khorne posted:

What is with all the skinny fat nerdos wearing gloves while doing 20lb lat pulldowns and that awkward machine that's for "abs" but really you're just cheating with a ton of other muscles and wasting your time. SON, THAT AIN'T GONNA MESS WITH YOUR HANDS.

They started showing up about a month ago. I think they actually stopped showing up already, but it's hard to tell.

Gloves in general are a lifting abomination, but wearing them for things that wouldn't do a drat thing to your hands is even worse.

My gym has a little section of machines for circuit training just to the side of the weight room. There's this one guy who wears massive gloves and never leaves the circuit machines. I've seen him around for months and he's literally never picked up a weight. He's not even old or horribly out of shape. Just, like what are you doing with your time, man... His hands must be perfect, though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

My gym has a little section of machines for circuit training just to the side of the weight room. There's this one guy who wears massive gloves and never leaves the circuit machines. I've seen him around for months and he's literally never picked up a weight. He's not even old or horribly out of shape. Just, like what are you doing with your time, man... His hands must be perfect, though.

my gym (Crunch) has like 20 machines that youre supposed to do a 30 min cycle or whatever. I use a few of the leg ones.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
There was a guy at my old gym who was a time capsule of the 80s gym days. Well built from years of tricep pulldowns and smiths machine shrugs. Wore like street sharks tshirts with the sleeves cut off and had leather riggers gloves with all the fingets cut off. He looked like a caricature of randy savage

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thats badass

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sludge Tank posted:

There was a guy at my old gym who was a time capsule of the 80s gym days. Well built from years of tricep pulldowns and smiths machine shrugs. Wore like street sharks tshirts with the sleeves cut off and had leather riggers gloves with all the fingets cut off. He looked like a caricature of randy savage

Did you hear him mutter "oh yeah" under his breath at any time?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Did heavy squats for the first time after 2 months and now I'm starting to have quad DOMS ten hours in. This is my penance

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My gym just replaced all the bars with brand new bars. Usually I wouldn't complain about an upgrade, except the knurling on these bars cut my belly open while I was switching from bench to bent-over rows. Dunno what use knurling is in the center of a bar.

Guess I'm going to get leathery-rear end hands now.

That's squat knurling so it grips your back better. Also great for building up bitchin back calluses

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation

UnfurledSails posted:

Did heavy squats for the first time after 2 months and now I'm starting to have quad DOMS ten hours in. This is my penance

Have a great week! I took three weeks off and did squats and added isolation isolation work (which I rarely do) on Saturday and today was the first day I was able to walk mostly right.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Acelerion posted:

That's squat knurling so it grips your back better. Also great for building up bitchin back calluses

Aaah.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Ugh!
I'm starting to look around for another gym and there is a new one that really piqued my interest. It has deadlift platforms and seperate squatting cages plus a "functiona training" area with prowler sleds, battleropes etc.. Plus it is more than half as cheap than the one I'm going right now.

But I really worry that since it's right next to the trainstation and being pretty darn cheap that it will be full as gently caress during 4-7pm when all the office drones head home...

I think I'll wait until February to check it out when all the new years people are properly gone to make an assessment.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Just pay for like a day pass for a week or 2 and see how busy it is.

i think i've got a cold coming cause im all blocked up and bench press SUCKED today. Squats + deadlifts were okay though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Khorne posted:

Round my areas it's the leathery tanned middle aged people wearing gloves and those tiny lifting belts permanent cinced to keep their guts tucked away

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Round my areas it's the leathery tanned middle aged people wearing gloves and those tiny lifting belts permanent cinced to keep their guts tucked away
Yeah, there's a guy like that at my gym, but he's bordering late-aged. I'm not going to throw shade his way because he's friendly and part of the old man morning crew.

I've also seen him, on occasion, once or twice, do barbell rows. Which is a legitimate exercise that you could develop calluses from.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Some of us are hand models. Gotta keep the goods fresh

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks for the kind words and support my dudes. I love nothing more than the gym. For better or worse.

I went in to do back today. Got a nice satisfying Lat pump going on.

4x 25 pullups
4x Bent over Rows
4x Close grip lat pulldown

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
It happened. It was the first time I've seen it at the gym I've been working/working out at since July.

I had to wait for a dude to finish his last three sets of curls in the squat rack.

Then when I finished my squats, two dudes took it to do curls.

Gotta get those arms yolked for the weekend.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
nice fro

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay yeah it was leg day today.
I can see how these will give me a big awesome hump between my shoulderblades.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks dude. I work on it extensively.... (I just got a haircut, I hated that hair)

I used to write down and record everything. Every weight of every set, how many reps I got, I timed my rest between sets, I timed my rest between exercises.

Gradually I realized all this was holding me back from my potential, and I have a much more enjoyable time today. I just go in there and hit what needs to be done.
\

Arnold is not impressed with my guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i go to a 24 hour gym here in london, and i usually get there around midnight-ish. at this point there is no staff around at all (the gym has weird sci-fi pods you have to key a code into to get in) so all the most depraved exercise sickos use this time to do their hideous forbidden exercises. i'm a qualified as a PT (but don't work as one atm) and i've been lifting for 12 or so years now (with a couple of years absence in that 12 where i got hosed up by doing salmon ladders with undiagnosed hypermobile shoulders then sank into a deep depression).

i see a lot of weird poo poo and the gym is always a nightmarish mess.

one of the main fixtures is a guy i call dr dickstare. he's a fairly skinny build with decent glamour muscles, always wears a camo tank top, lifting belt, and these loose blue shorts. i call him dr dickstare because he rolls his shorts (which are knee length) aaaall the way up into a weird baggy diaper sort of formation, then aggressively stares at his own groin while working out. he does smith machine squats, and then aside from that all he does is a shitload of like various delt exercises. some which i've never seen anyone else do. his shoulders click nightmarishly as he does them, and as someone who has suffered with a lot of shoulder problems it makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

he smells disgusting, i don't think he washes his outfit ever, and instead of wearing gloves he holds two little sponges in the palms of his hands as he lifts. i imagine they are by this point saturated in staph and hep c, so i hate to use anything he's been on. he's attracted a couple of hangers-on with his weird exercises, and the three of them look like the turkish or iranian versions of mac, dennis, and charlie from always sunny.

i have plenty more stories, and some photos of random stuff ive seen around the gym (benches left in weird positions, a powerade bottle with cum in it)