Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chernabog posted:

If I have to chose between a GDC summit or conference pass, which is more worthwhile?

If all you care about is the job fair, summits. If you’re after talks (that aren’t explicitly in a summit), conference.

Big thing you miss with the summit pass are the roundtables which are not recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Even though I still make (educational) games I'm pretty far removed from the industry so I'm mostly looking to catch up with the latest developments. I think I'll take the conference pass.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd love to get out there for the job fair, but the catch 22 is that I'm unemployed and can't afford it. Wah wah.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've only been there twice on the job hunt but neither resulted in gainful employment. It was still fun though.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

mutata posted:

I'd love to get out there for the job fair, but the catch 22 is that I'm unemployed and can't afford it. Wah wah.

Same.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Anyone here work in data analytics or business insights at a game company? I'm curious about how decisions at game companies are influenced by their analytics and how mature that part of the industry is.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

eriddy posted:

Anyone here work in data analytics or business insights at a game company? I'm curious about how decisions at game companies are influenced by their analytics and how mature that part of the industry is.

It's not my area of expertise but I had a bunch of dealings with these types over the past years. Like everything else in this industry, it varies from company to company. Some have wizard-like people who can predict who's gonna buy what and when, while others have marketing bros who keep blowing their user acquisition budget on Facebook ads with a -98% RoI.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

eriddy posted:

I think usage of analytics is something that most people wouldn't feel comfortable sharing for a current company.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Studio posted:

I think usage of analytics is something that most people wouldn't feel comfortable sharing for a current company.

Hot take: the entire industry uses analytics to drive feature development.

Outside of /extremely/ small studios. And usually their second/third+ game has them, too.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
We still have game lawyers in here?

Hypothetically speaking... if I previously worked somewhere and signed a non-disparagement contract, but this company was about to get sued into oblivion and not exist anymore, would I then be ok to share all the horrible things I went through and witnessed at said company?

umm... asking for a friend, who also kept a journal every single day he worked there.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dinurth posted:

Hypothetically speaking... if I previously worked somewhere and signed a non-disparagement contract, but this company was about to get sued into oblivion and not exist anymore, would I then be ok to share all the horrible things I went through and witnessed at said company?

umm... asking for a friend, who also kept a journal every single day he worked there.
Why would you not just wait?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Dinurth posted:

Not a lawyer, just because they are getting sued has no standing on whether or not they can bring a suit against you. Even if the company gets destroyed/bankruptcy I believe it's still possible for that contact to live on and someone to sue you.

If you want to protect yourself then at the least release the info semi anonymously.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dinurth posted:

May be worth asking in the law questions ask thread- this isn't particularly gaming-specific.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dinurth posted:

Even if it is legal, release it anonymously, so that you don't inadvertently burn yourself out of the industry. Everyone who worked there will fail upward, and end up in another studio, possibly above you again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
even if they can't sue you you're gonna be blueballed from the industry if that happens to you. the games industry is super small and even though nda's are violated at every open bar night, you are almost certainly gonna work with someone again who would remember you doing this.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It depends on the contract and the details of the dissolution of the company, would be the answer. You'd have to look at the terms and also consider jurisdiction. In general it's unlikely to face legal repercussions, but it's not really possible to give a 100% blanket answer.

Also worth considering if this is a level of risk you're willing to take on, and towards what end -- whistleblowing on something(s) seriously unethical or criminal may justify a level of risk that "trashing a company because they were dumb and I'm mad at them so I want to get back at them" doesn't.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
If the game is the one I think it is I would be more worried about its crazy fans. (not a lawyer)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, generally I'd be very cautious about airing dirty laundry in cases where serious criminal charges aren't in play.

Unless it's gonna blow up big enough that your friend can get a book deal out of it.

(talk to lawyers)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

C'mon, just do it, don't be a wuss! What are ya, a sissy?!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Guys I'm going to blow the lid off my company

It has a 3rd Strike Cabinet but the left player's light jab and kick don't work right now :qq:

Studio fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 25, 2018

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

eriddy posted:

Yes, and although this is mobile which is even MORE heavily influenced by it; we are heavily influenced by it, and it's fairly matured as part of the process.
I'd say the biggest misunderstanding is people think analysts and BI are entirely driven by data; "Level 3 loses us half our audience! Fix it fix it!".
It's also super useful to contextualise anecdotal feedback; "Man, level 3 is super rough, I don't know how you'd beat it if you don't know the game well. Are our players finding it tough as well?"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I have a idea for a retirement system for ex-game developers.

They can go to the mountains and build a dungeon with a elaborate set of traps, then advertise that has a "room escape" game.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
Do video game developers and/or publishers ever have dedicated project schedulers? Talking resource loading development schedules to project forecast / milestone dates and needed manpower. That sort of thing... not talking like a secretary scheduling meetings or something. Using Microsoft Project and Primavera P6 etc... I'm in that field, but in petrochemicals so it pays well, but I'd rather do the same in an industry I have a bit more interest in. If so, typical pay range?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Artadius posted:

Do video game developers and/or publishers ever have dedicated project schedulers? Talking resource loading development schedules to project forecast / milestone dates and needed manpower. That sort of thing... not talking like a secretary scheduling meetings or something. Using Microsoft Project and Primavera P6 etc... I'm in that field, but in petrochemicals so it pays well, but I'd rather do the same in an industry I have a bit more interest in. If so, typical pay range?

Term in games industry is producer. A little dated, but salary Info from self reported survey 2014

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Shalinor posted:

Even if it is legal, release it anonymously, so that you don't inadvertently burn yourself out of the industry. Everyone who worked there will fail upward, and end up in another studio, possibly above you again.

Definitely not worried about getting burned based on the content(extremely unethical and at times illegal actions) - and yeah it would likely be anonymous but even then I'd super cautious.

Probably should just write a book in collaboration with friends that are still there 'till the end...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Suspicious Dish posted:

even if they can't sue you you're gonna be blueballed from the industry if that happens to you. the games industry is super small and even though nda's are violated at every open bar night, you are almost certainly gonna work with someone again who would remember you doing this.

Blackballed. You mean blackballed. Please tell us you mean blackballed.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Discendo Vox posted:

They're gonna get SO BACKED UP :gizz:
#IANAL

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

im colorblind

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Studio posted:

Guys I'm going to blow the lid off my company

It has a 3rd Strike Cabinet but the left player's light jab and kick don't work right now :qq:

It also has America's Army shooting gallery but the guns don't work right for the blue player. I'm sensing that whoever rage-smashes all the cabinets likes to stand on the left.

Artadius posted:

We have producers and project managers. The industry tends to focus more on experience with scrum and agile software development than it does PMI-style "by the PMBOK" doctrine (or at least it claims to -- you'll still find a lot of waterfall practices). However, few of us are immune from having to do things like scheduling meetings and minutiae like that. Even in bigger studios with dedicated project coordinators, there's basically nobody whose sole job is forecasting and nothing else.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

PMP Certify This 🖕🖕🖕

OneMinute
Jan 26, 2018
Hey everybody, dumb me left maybe too many breadcrumbs on my main account so I'm posting from a new one, but wanted to ask for advice--

I'm about three years into my first-ever games job as a 3D artist on a small but really good team in SF. Our game is supposed to ship towards the end of this year, and my bosses have talked numerous times about wanting to bring me on full-time (I started as an intern, currently a contractor, worked for intern pay for two years and recently got a raise to something better). I love the team and the job, but most of my life is in the LA area and I'm looking seriously at trying to get back down there once the game ships.

I guess my main questions are:

1. How bad of a move would this be, career wise? It seems like there's some studios in the LA area but I'm not sure exactly how it compares with the bay area right now. My current job is fulfilling and pays okay, but it's also far from everything else I care about and I'm not sure what it means for my long term prospects if I work in games for years and years and only ever know the same group of 20 people.

2. If this IS a good idea, is it smarter/better to tell my bosses ASAP that I want to look for new stuff after we ship, or is that something I should hold off on until I have an offer?

Sorry to dump all this in the thread, but would love to hear any thoughts on this.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

OneMinute posted:

Hey everybody, dumb me left maybe too many breadcrumbs on my main account so I'm posting from a new one, but wanted to ask for advice--

I'm about three years into my first-ever games job as a 3D artist on a small but really good team in SF. Our game is supposed to ship towards the end of this year, and my bosses have talked numerous times about wanting to bring me on full-time (I started as an intern, currently a contractor, worked for intern pay for two years and recently got a raise to something better). I love the team and the job, but most of my life is in the LA area and I'm looking seriously at trying to get back down there once the game ships.

1. How bad of a move would this be, career wise? It seems like there's some studios in the LA area but I'm not sure exactly how it compares with the bay area right now. My current job is fulfilling and pays okay, but it's also far from everything else I care about and I'm not sure what it means for my long term prospects if I work in games for years and years and only ever know the same group of 20 people.

2. If this IS a good idea, is it smarter/better to tell my bosses ASAP that I want to look for new stuff after we ship, or is that something I should hold off on until I have an offer?

Sorry to dump all this in the thread, but would love to hear any thoughts on this.

LA has /lots/ of game jobs. Most of the AAA studios are around there. Yes, I’m lumping in OC because it’s the same metro.

Why the hell would you tell your boss you’re going to bounce before lining something up? They’re not your friend; you have a business relationship. Your boss is currently leading you on to pay you below market in the most expensive area in the country. You don’t owe favors.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

leper khan posted:

LA has /lots/ of game jobs. Most of the AAA studios are around there. Yes, I’m lumping in OC because it’s the same metro.
Don't forget that LA not only has many AAA companies but also tons of entertainment focused companies that are skill adjacent. When you look at VR training you'll see that LA is actually the major market they focus on since there is so much games/non-games interest in creating products.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

OneMinute posted:

I love the team and the job, but most of my life is in the LA area and I'm looking seriously at trying to get back down there once the game ships.

It is entirely fine to move on after shipping in order to move closer to family. Saying exactly that will not be a red flag in any way to anyone who is not terrible.

LA is a fantastic place to work in games or game-adjacent industries. A shipped title on your resume and work from it in your portfolio will be an advantage.

Don't give your current employer a reason to look for your replacement until you have what you need to move on. This means you need to wait until you ship at least, and until you get your bonus check if one might be available. Bonuses are back pay for prior work. Never feel bad about taking them.

Once you have a new job lined up (accepted offer letter in print), give as much notice as you can. If you want, spend that time finishing off projects and writing down everything that only you know. Being helpful on your way out is a good way to leave a good impression, but don't let them guilt you into extra work.

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice

leper khan posted:

If all you care about is the job fair, summits. If you’re after talks (that aren’t explicitly in a summit), conference.

Big thing you miss with the summit pass are the roundtables which are not recorded.

Would it be a good idea to get the student expo pass as a means to beg for internships/junior dev positions? I'm a very recent CS grad, and was thinking about heading down to GDC, getting on the expo floor, and start throwing around as many resumé as I could.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That never worked out for me but I guess if people still do it then it must work for some. Also, the general consensus is that you make the best contacts by being social outside the expo, at parties, bars and whatnot.

Does anybody have any advice regarding the best marketing practices to release an app?
I have a F2P (no ads or transactions) educational game that's ready to be deployed but realistically the only marketing I can get is social media support from scientific and educational institutions.

So I guess what I'm really asking is: how do I get the most downloads with what I have?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone looking for a Systems Designer? Got 6 years experience in mobile free to play AAA titles and MMORPGS. Specializing in social systems.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Siljmonster posted:

Anyone looking for a Systems Designer? Got 6 years experience in mobile free to play AAA titles and MMORPGS. Specializing in social systems.

funny, this just went up.

https://careers.bungie.com/en-us/careers/game-design/943879/game-designer---social-systems

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chernabog posted:

I have a F2P (no ads or transactions) educational game that's ready to be deployed but realistically the only marketing I can get is social media support from scientific and educational institutions.

Just a side note: generally F2P means free to play but with some kind of paid monitization. If you're game if free but has ads then generally the game is refereed to as free with ads. If you game is free to play with no ads or paid monitizations then that's just a free game, note F2P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That makes sense. So it is just a free app then.