Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol if your childhood wasn't reading Redwall books and woodland animals constant siege warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

not feeling too good so i made an arizona special cheese crisp which is where you put cheese on a tortilla and broil it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Also the author of Animorphs is a turbo-nerd like us and wrote a bunch of the books while her son was in neonatal intensive care. She seems like a cool lady.

quote:

One of the author's favorite books, The Lord of the Rings, lent several words and images to Animorphs: the elvish word for Orc, "yrch", became Yeerk; the flaming red Eye of Sauron inspired the Crayak, and Ax's middle name, "Esgarrouth", is based on a town in the books called Esgaroth. The human name of Ax's brother, Elfangor, is Alan Fangor and his last name is in reference to the Fangor region or Fangorn Forest. Also there was a minor reference to Gondor, in the form of a fictional company named "Gondor Industries" in the 14th book. (It may also be significant that Visser Three's host is named Alloran, a rough homonym of Gandalf's Valinorean name "Olórin", and that one of the minor alien races is called "the Five", which is also a term used in The Lord of the Rings for the Istari.) Applegate's writing was inspired by her family. All books after The Unknown were dedicated to Applegate's son, Jake, as well as her husband and co-writer, Michael. Her son was born premature in 1997, and she worked on the Animorphs series at night, in the lobby of the hospital where he was in Neonatal Intensive Care (NIC).

There's also some real hosed up stuff.

quote:

Alloran-Semitur-Corrass - Andalite host body of Visser Three. Alloran was an officer under Prince Seerow, who relieved his superior of duty after a force of Yeerks stole Andalite ships and left their planet thanks to technology provided to them by Seerow. Years later, having been promoted to the rank of War Prince, Alloran was placed in command of the Andalite forces sent to fight the Yeerk invasion of the Hork-Bajir homeworld. Unfortunately, the desperate situation on the planet led Alloran to decide that wiping out the Hork-Bajir with a virus was a better alternative than allowing them to be enslaved

David - A boy who joins the Animorphs after learning their secret. The Animorphs trust him at first, giving him the ability to morph and fight with them rather than kill him, but he betrays them. Ultimately, they are forced to trick him into morphing into a rat and trap him permanently in the morph, leaving him stranded on an island. He returns later in the series, eventually asking Rachel to kill him. Whether Rachel kills David or not has never been established.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 12, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I grew up in Texas so when I was a kid I read Hank the Cowdog

e: Holy poo poo they're still going

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Probably Magic posted:

Nice try, but I'm not reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book written by the guy from Artemis Fowl, fucker.

I only ever read the main one. Never thought it was worth reading the others.

CyberPingu posted:

loving lol if you think Martin is going to finish that before he croaks.

The final word will just be "gently caress you fanbois"

Nah, he's gonna finish his magnum opus so we'll finally learn how Wild Cards ends.

Kalli posted:

Just read history, because then everything is just the dark middle chapter before things get even worse.

Eh history doesn't have enough rape for my tastes

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

axeil posted:

I hated that book as a kid but having re-read it as an adult it makes way more sense. Harry just saw a dude die in front of him and it was all his fault he was there anyway.

That'd gently caress with your head a bit.

A kid gets trapped in the body of a falcon in the first book because he was careless and stays that way for the entire series.

Animorphs was messed up but a really entertaining series that made me read a lot as a kid.

They are kids who are given the power to turn into animals by a dying alien to let them fight against an invading force of slugs called Yerks that infect people's brains and turn them into puppets. If they stay as an animal for too long though they are trapped like it forever. The Yerks have already conquered many other alien races and I think at one point you find out the aliens who gave the kids their powers (the Andalites) were the ones who uplifted the Yerks, or made them or something like that.

It's a pretty complex and nuanced story for kids and by the end everyone is a broken person.
Yeah and by the end of the series you realize that the Andalites are more likely to blow up the planet than the Yeerks are and that Jake literally just sent a bunch of crippled kids into a mission he knew would get them all killed (and does) because he needed a distraction.

Jake goes way off the deep end toward the end and is broken as all hell and I just want to hug him

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Intruder posted:

I grew up in Texas so when I was a kid I read Hank the Cowdog

e: Holy poo poo they're still going

Those books ruled, they had them in school libraries in Kentucky too.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol if your childhood wasn't reading Redwall books and woodland animals constant siege warfare.

Brian Jaques could make raspberry honey walnut scones sound delicious to an 11 year old Blitz who had no idea what a scone was

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like the Percy Jackson books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Did any of you ever read the gritty Hardy Boys reboot in the 90s where one of their girlfriends is killed in a car bomb and later on they get hunted for sport by a bunch of crazed paramilitary guys

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hardy Boys were way inferior to Nancy Drew, come at me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did any of you ever read the gritty Hardy Boys reboot in the 90s where one of their girlfriends is killed in a car bomb and later on they get hunted for sport by a bunch of crazed paramilitary guys

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

the hardy boys and the case of the backyard volcano

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Gramiq/status/951650901403619328

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Hardy Boys were way inferior to Nancy Drew, come at me.

Encyclopedia Brown was my main source of childhood mystery novels.

I also read the Boxcar Children and all I remember from that is they were a bunch of orphans who lived in a boxcar and I think solved mysteries?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember that! One of the Boys gets PTSD from it and later amnesia and got taken in by a family in witness protection and had to fist fight a hitman.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

delete

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the hardy boys and the case of the backyard volcano

Broken Frank Hardy and the case of the deleted black cast members.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
One time Encyclopedia Brown solved a mystery by stating that you cannot put your left hand into your right pocket while running and I still think about that every few days

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You know, I cannot even get mad at Trump anymore. He is just a big stupid dangerous child doing what is in his nature as a big stupid dangerous child. I cannot hold him any more responsible for what he does than I can a toddler who pisses the bed.

My anger now is to all the members of the GOP who thought sacrificing the security and dignity of America by supporting him was worth it to get a loving tax cut.You know, I cannot even get mad at Trump anymore. He is just a big stupid dangerous child doing what is in his nature as a big stupid dangerous child. I cannot hold him any more responsible for what he does than I can a toddler who pisses the bed.

My anger now is to all the members of the GOP who thought sacrificing the security and dignity of America by supporting him was worth it to get a loving tax cut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

axeil posted:

I also read the Boxcar Children and all I remember from that is they were a bunch of orphans who lived in a boxcar and I think solved mysteries?

They only live in a box car in the first book, the get adopted by a friendly older couple who never had kids at the end, and yeah, they solved mysteries.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

I know you're old, but I also know you know what Google is.

Sometimes it's nice to engage in a conversation with people rather than intentionally bypass it. :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I might have seen one or two of those and gotten confused. My stepmom had all her old hardy boys (and nancy drew and tom swift) books so I was reading editions from the 1950s or 60s or something, and I thought the new ones were just reprints until I read one she didn't have and realized it had been modernized.

I'm also just now remembering some series of YA books where a dad builds a robot to be his son, and the robot goes to high school? No idea what it was called or whatever but the robot son had a name that was an acronym I think.

I also remember reading Jack London books and being very affected by them. White Fang, etc. Also My Side of the Mountain made me want to run away and be a teenage hermit, and I read the Little House on the Prairie books and learned that modern people are helpless idiots compared to the bootstrappy old timers who won the west.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

axeil posted:

As a kid I had such disdain for those books and I think it must've been the americana. It just looked like every book would be about an old creek or painting a fence or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I might have seen one or two of those and gotten confused. My stepmom had all her old hardy boys (and nancy drew and tom swift) books so I was reading editions from the 1950s or 60s or something, and I thought the new ones were just reprints until I read one she didn't have and realized it had been modernized.

The original author was a pretty racist dude, so the Hardy Boys books were reprinted a bunch of times in addition to the series changing. Like, the blue bindings were the pre-edit stuff, then they stripped out all the minorities in the 70's because they were all dull witted ape men, then eventually in the 80's they started bringing them back as well as making stories about talking cars and... I never got to the 90's stuff.

Leperflesh posted:

and I read the Little House on the Prairie books and learned that modern people are helpless idiots compared to the bootstrappy old timers who won the west.

I had the same reaction as with the boxcar children stuff. Put a loving dragon in these stories, god drat

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Search for Snout, motherfuckers

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

Nah, the boxcar was their origin story. Some rich man (I think their grandfather?) takes them in and becomes their savior in the first book, and finds the boxcar they lived in and brings it to his mansion.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
A lot of young adult fiction is super messed up.

The Giver is about a totalitarian society and I think no one can read? I also remember there being some sexweirds in it.
Hatchet is about a kid who gets stranded in the woods after a plane crashes and everyone dies.
The Hunger Games are about how everyone deep down is evil and manipulative and wants to watch you kill others for sport
Animorphs we already talked about
Bridge to Terebithia is about kids dying of cancer I think?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't remember anything aboutt it, but I vividly remember this cover:

which I got at a book faire along with the novelization to Little Monsters the Fred Savage / Howie Mandell vehicle I never actually got to see.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

I don't remember anything aboutt it, but I vividly remember this cover:

which I got at a book faire along with the novelization to Little Monsters the Fred Savage / Howie Mandell vehicle I never actually got to see.

This series went places. The kid ended up getting sent to some literal Space Manhattan and there was a crystalline captain and the bully character had his brain transplanted to make him less of an rear end or something.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/951360486414544897

Those are some lame gang murder tattoos.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

axeil posted:

The Giver is about a totalitarian society and I think no one can read? I also remember there being some sexweirds in it.
Hatchet is about a kid who gets stranded in the woods after a plane crashes and everyone dies.
The Hunger Games are about how everyone deep down is evil and manipulative and wants to watch you kill others for sport

In hatchet, just the only other person is the pilot and he dies of a heart attack, hence the plane crash.

Nothing really sexual about the Giver, he's just the one that get to know/feel all the feelings of the world and he saves a baby that was going to be killed for reasons, though the book ends with the reader deciding whether they made it to safety or died.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

axeil posted:

Bridge to Terebithia is great. It's about a boy and girl who become friends and create an imaginary world. At the end she drowns.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

axeil posted:

A Seperate Peace - Survivors guilt, feeling worthless because of disabilities, and closeted homo-eroticism

Neil Armbong posted:

In hatchet, just the only other person is the pilot and he dies of a heart attack, hence the plane crash.

Nothing really sexual about the Giver, he's just the one that get to know/feel all the feelings of the world and he saves a baby that was going to be killed for reasons, though the book ends with the reader deciding whether they made it to safety or died.
The Giver had some section where he has a sexual dream, then he is put on more pills to stop them. Then later he stops taking them, and realizes his childhood friend is sexy. Why I remember so much about a book I read in 6th grade, I couldn't tell you.

Also, he totally died

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Probably Magic posted:

This series went places. The kid ended up getting sent to some literal Space Manhattan and there was a crystalline captain and the bully character had his brain transplanted to make him less of an rear end or something.

I think I remember the end of the series that humanity used to have some sort of psychic gestalt we fell out of and the reason we were so lovely to each other was constantly feeling the loss and pain of not knowing each other. So we were like reverse orks.

Also there was a crocodile who was also a doctor whom was ok with being called CrocDoc because no human could ever pronounce his name.

Japan has a huge boner for obfuscating something brutal and ugly behind something beautiful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the lady who wrote the bridge to terabithia was a loving master at making soul destroying kids books

She wrote that, The Great Gilly Hopkins, and Jacob Have I Loved which are all loving savage

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Bridge to Terebithia is great. It's about a boy and girl who become friends and create an imaginary world. At the end she drowns.
I saw the film adaptation when it came out and it was heartbreaking :smith:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think I remember the end of the series that humanity used to have some sort of psychic gestalt we fell out of and the reason we were so lovely to each other was constantly feeling the loss and pain of not knowing each other. So we were like reverse orks.

drat, that owns, though reminds me of the basic gist of Out of the Silent Planet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The second Oz book is about your standard juvenile novel boy escaping his witch mother then ends up hooking up with a revolutionary army and the Tin Woodsman-run former Wicked Witch army to overthrow the Scarecrow who rules the Emerald City.

Then it turns out the main character was actually Princess Ozma all along.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Neil Armbong posted:

I remember hatchet because when the pilot has his heart attack he farts up a storm as his body loses muscle control

In the Giver there was something about wanting to give his friend who was a girl a sponge bath and that lets his parents know it's time to take the anti-sex drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Its Rinaldo posted:

I remember hatchet because when the pilot has his heart attack he farts up a storm as his body loses muscle control

In the Giver there was something about wanting to give his friend who was a girl a sponge bath and that lets his parents know it's time to take the anti-sex drugs.

Ah, I've clearly forgot about that. I read most of these books in college for a children's literature class. I read goosebumps, encyclopedia brown and a lot of Beverly Cleary when I was smaller, as well as biblical child fiction because christian school.