Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

The second Oz book is about your standard juvenile novel boy escaping his witch mother then ends up hooking up with a revolutionary army and the Tin Woodsman-run former Wicked Witch army to overthrow the Scarecrow who rules the Emerald City.

Then it turns out the main character was actually Princess Ozma all along.

ever see Return to Oz?

Its genuinely dark as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fuckin' found it!

Not Quite Human series. Kid's name was CHIP. I was conflating it with a lovely movie in the 1980s called DARYL with a similar premise.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

fuckin' found it!

Not Quite Human series. Kid's name was CHIP. I was conflating it with a lovely movie in the 1980s called DARYL with a similar premise.

This was also a movie with Alan Thicke.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ever see Return to Oz?

If you weren't spooked by the hall of heads and the wheelers as a kid you can gtfo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Giver called the sex feelings “stirrings”

The book ended with him riding a sled towards a bar with a stolen baby that was going to get a keyed.

Then they made a movie called equilibrium.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ever see Return to Oz?

Oh of course, Dorothy seeing the electro shock machine and turning it into a character really stuck with me when I first saw it. I watched that and Labyrinth a ton of times back to back.

But yeah, the original Oz books were so weird because they're so old that a lot of the cultural references being pulled from have no basis to compare to anymore.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Is there a better scene in cinema history then the "throw the puppy in the incinerator" bit?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Giver called the sex feelings “stirrings”

The book ended with him riding a sled towards a bar with a stolen baby that was going to get a keyed.

They also a made a giver movie with Jeff Bridges as the giver.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Is there a better scene in cinema history then the "throw the puppy in the incinerator" bit?

Lol they’re murdering all the puppies then a Burmese runs to Christian bale and licks his face.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sen. Graham finally made a statement on Trump's comments yesterday:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This was also a movie with Alan Thicke.

i think they made 3

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kalli posted:

The second Oz book is about your standard juvenile novel boy escaping his witch mother then ends up hooking up with a revolutionary army and the Tin Woodsman-run former Wicked Witch army to overthrow the Scarecrow who rules the Emerald City.

Then it turns out the main character was actually Princess Ozma all along.

That's from the Baum line of books. The illustrator of Wizard of Oz got 50% of the first books profits, made a musical theatre version that was very different, and his book sequel started with tin man and scarecrow on Broadway and hijinks ensued. He made enough money with his pulpy spinoff that he bought a Caribbean island.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wallace_Denslow

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 12, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had to read the crucible in high school and it put me off of reading for a decade

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol if your childhood wasn't reading Redwall books and woodland animals constant siege warfare.

Redwall owns and it stands as a testament to how good those books were that the advent of furries hasn't made me like the books any less.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hifi posted:

i had to read the crucible in high school and it put me off of reading for a decade

Way better than separate peace

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What about that book Stone Fox about the huskie who has a heart attack trying to get his human boy to win the sledding race

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Giver was really loving weird:

- Parents were given children that were from birthing centers instead of having their own
- As soon as kids started having stirrings, aka "sexual thoughts" they were given pills to suppress those thoughts.
- I think it's inferred that society could no longer see color and that everyone was colorblind.
- People could request a "release" from society which meant they were euthanized.
- When you hit the age of 12 they had a giant ceremony that told you what your job was gonna be for life.

I remember the part where the giver gives the protagonist the memory of war with all the dead bodies around, then afterward he goes and plays with his friends who are playing mock war and he has a massive PTSD attack from it, and he can't explain to his friends why. poo poo was hosed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I had to read Flowers for Algernon in middle school and goddamnit

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What about that book Stone Fox about the huskie who has a heart attack trying to get his human boy to win the sledding race

The movie is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTIN26sl1bQ

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

seiferguy posted:

- When you hit the age of 12 they had a giant ceremony that told you what your job was gonna be for life.

Still true, change age to 18

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

I had to read Flowers for Algernon in middle school and goddamnit
:same:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The Giver was really loving weird:

- Parents were given children that were from birthing centers instead of having their own
- As soon as kids started having stirrings, aka "sexual thoughts" they were given pills to suppress those thoughts.
- I think it's inferred that society could no longer see color and that everyone was colorblind.
- People could request a "release" from society which meant they were euthanized.

I remember the part where the giver gives the protagonist the memory of war with all the dead bodies around, then afterward he goes and plays with his friends who are playing mock war and he has a massive PTSD attack from it, and he can't explain to his friends why. poo poo was hosed.

I just realized I've been confusing The Giver and The Giving Tree for my entire life

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/951910456796598272

Only $130K? Have some self-respect!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The human bladder can hold about 16 ounces at most, so she pocketed at least a cool $8k per ounce.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Anyone have the text, its behind a paywall.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What would you even have to do?

Even in the nineties he was so embarrassed by his body he made the girl leave the room while he got naked under the covers.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

swickles posted:

Anyone have the text, its behind a paywall.

People reporting about the payment, both parties denying there was even a payment is the tl;dr

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 12, 2018

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Stormy nooooooooooooo

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalli posted:

I don't remember anything aboutt it, but I vividly remember this cover:

which I got at a book faire along with the novelization to Little Monsters the Fred Savage / Howie Mandell vehicle I never actually got to see.

I had this book and its sequel. I literally can't remember anything about them though.

hifi posted:

"More...weight"

Giles Corey was an alright guy and him telling the witch hunters to gently caress off and dying is the only part I remember.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Finally sitting down to watch Justice League and couldn't figure out what was up with Superman's face then I remembered all the stuff about the CGI to cover his mustache for whatever other movie he was doing and lol

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I read all the Wrinkle in Time books and have absolutely no memory of them at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think being told they were allowed to use "Shithole" made the graphics department at CNN go a little hog wild.
https://twitter.com/michaelmalice/status/951890334757326849

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

I read all the Wrinkle in Time books and have absolutely no memory of them at all

:same:

I remember, vaguely, being really upset by a scene in Where the Red Fern Grows, where a kid dies? Or it might have been Rascal, I read both those books around the same time and conflated them.

Also got really scared by The View from the Cherry Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
This is the saddest thing I read in grade school

The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The worst book I've ever read is The Catcher in the Rye

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's not even about baseball!

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
PA's forced yearly car inspections suck rear end but drat it's nice when you finally find an honest mechanic.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Holden Caulfield was such an rear end in a top hat

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Scarlet Letter. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Master Stur posted:

PA's forced yearly car inspections suck rear end but drat it's nice when you finally find an honest mechanic.

wouldn't you want a dishonest one if you hate the inspections so you get a rubber stamp?