Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Pun intended, Royals felt very inhuman. Like what the gently caress were those rat monsters starting a war, are we supposed to recognize them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billzasilver posted:

Pun intended, Royals felt very inhuman. Like what the gently caress were those rat monsters starting a war, are we supposed to recognize them?

I haven't read it, but were they called Alpha Primitives? Those are a genetically designed underclass that Inhuman society used as slaves for their entire history until, given the sliding timescale, sometime after Franklin Richards birth, which again, given the sliding timescale, is now significantly later than the abolition of Apartheid in South Africa.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I only liked parts of Royals, and I'm not sure if that stems from my unfamiliarity with the new inhumans in the cast or that it seems to be a continuation of Soule's run which I didn't read. Ewing writing Marvel Boy and Maximus was easily the biggest draw for me, and I wish there was actually more of the future stuff interactions with them than the drama between the main cast.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

For real that Thor/Builder scene was amazing.

I thought it was mostly just another key demonstration of how stupid the Builders are.

Did they really think he was throwing the hammer away? This wasn't your first experience at the Thor rodeo, you wrinkly bug-faced nudists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought it was mostly just another key demonstration of how stupid the Builders are.

Did they really think he was throwing the hammer away? This wasn't your first experience at the Thor rodeo, you wrinkly bug-faced nudists.

None of them had been killed yet I think so even if expecting and attack, they weren't expecting it to be effective.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
I literally just finished the entirety of the Hickman's Avengers run after buying it during the last major sale and while I absolutely loved it, I do think Cap and Tony's single minded obtuseness at the end was pretty frustrating. I know Tony was Axis flipped at the time but having him be the antagonistic one would've probably made it sit better with me than Cap. I also think they should have just made the Beyonders the villains from the get-go, instead of the never ending chain of "no for real, these guys are the big villains, we swear!" between the mapmakers, the builders, the the Beyonders, Rabum Alal.

All in all, I absolutely loved it but towards the end it seemed like they were rushing to put a few things on the board and explain away some things before Secret Wars, and if it had been paced a bit better towards the early part of the second half it may have worked better.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it, but were they called Alpha Primitives? Those are a genetically designed underclass that Inhuman society used as slaves for their entire history until, given the sliding timescale, sometime after Franklin Richards birth, which again, given the sliding timescale, is now significantly later than the abolition of Apartheid in South Africa.

No, I know all about the primaries, I’m talking about the rat monster aliens who kidnap gorgon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

good day for a bris posted:

I literally just finished the entirety of the Hickman's Avengers run after buying it during the last major sale and while I absolutely loved it, I do think Cap and Tony's single minded obtuseness at the end was pretty frustrating. I know Tony was Axis flipped at the time but having him be the antagonistic one would've probably made it sit better with me than Cap. I also think they should have just made the Beyonders the villains from the get-go, instead of the never ending chain of "no for real, these guys are the big villains, we swear!" between the mapmakers, the builders, the the Beyonders, Rabum Alal.

All in all, I absolutely loved it but towards the end it seemed like they were rushing to put a few things on the board and explain away some things before Secret Wars, and if it had been paced a bit better towards the early part of the second half it may have worked better.

tbh i can't say i was really a fan of how steve was used post infinty either. it was kinda awful to watch this old bitter man use shield and the avengers as a weapon in his personal vendetta because the iluminati made him look like a fool, meanwhile while the omniverse is being obliterated and the un has sanctioned the cabal to destroy other earths and hes doing absolutely nothing. but i imagine it wasnt really planned on that he was gonna lose his super serum in another book while his story was going on and he wasnt really able to use steve himself to do things so what else was hickman gonna do :shrug:

and i kinda wish we had gotten more beyonders as well cuz na 30 where they go up against all the gods/celestials/living tribunal was just so loving cool and shouldve been longer than one issue

e: almost forgot some people are still reading lol

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I think Steve was suuuuper bitter about being betrayed and mind wiped by his friends. Those friends proceeded to build antimatter bombs and summon the devil.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

No they weren't. I thought they were Z'Nox...but then I re-read it and it's some new alien race.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The whole point of Hickman's post Infinity A/NA run was the deconstruction and destruction of the main characters as heroes, especially Cap and Iron Man, to the point where the final issues of A/NA (or we can count it as SW #0) is Iron Man and Cap fighting in out in a pointless brawl as the 1610 is literally crashing into the 616 and people are dying everywhere. More than anything Hickman's entire run is how motivations can be twisted and ruined so people end up becoming monsters despite trying their very best at doing "the right thing", until the point where The Biggest Monster of All Time, Doctor loving Doom, is a multiversal savior.

It's a very DC story, wherein the story is about what the heroes mean as iconic, godly beings with responsibilities to and for humanity, which makes sense considering Hickman changes the Avengers during his run to be the most Justice League-esque as a function, and their problems are the most DC-esque, from collapsing universes to its finale being Crisis on Infinite 1610 and 616. Secret Wars, itself, is almost-but-not-quite a continuity reset, furthering the DC analogy.

Honestly it's why it was and still is my favorite run and crossover event of all time. Hickman basically delivers the best concept of a Crisis-style event, something DC has tried and mostly failed (depending on how you view Final Crisis, I guess) at doing for thirty loving years, including CoIE itself, and is able to elevate Marvel's heroes until they feel as grandiose and as mythic as Superman, Batman, WW, etc always do, while still also keeping the emotionally resonant core that defines Marvel.

Like, "You don't have to do this." "I don't think I can." is, to me, the absolute best comic book exchange in history. It's incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Billzasilver posted:

I think Steve was suuuuper bitter about being betrayed and mind wiped by his friends. Those friends proceeded to build antimatter bombs and summon the devil.

That's absolutely his entire motivation and he brings it up a lot. You don't betray Captain America and expect to get away with it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I maintain the best part of Hickman's Avengers was... actually in Ewing's Mighty Avengers when Blue Marvel tells the Illuminati to get bent.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
With Royals I couldn't get over the fact that apparently Terrigenesis now works on a metaphysical level, and that Medusa was literally metaphorically dying. Dying because of metaphors. Like, you couldn't bullshit up something a liiiiiiiittle less, uh, bullshit?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TwoPair posted:

I maintain the best part of Hickman's Avengers was... actually in Ewing's Mighty Avengers when Blue Marvel tells the Illuminati to get bent.

I agree. I respect Hickman's run but I felt very little while reading it. The moments everybody recognizes as cool or funny or stirring I'll acknowledge as impeccably executed specimens of cool/funny/stirring superhero scenes but the whole thing felt clinical. Somebody above mentioned a certain distance from the material-- that cities are wiped out and planets destroyed but there's also a sense of detachment somehow, a languor of pace that seems well-suited for world building but somehow off for pathos and drama and tragedy und sturm und drang und cetera.

This is something that bugs me with a lot of Hickman's work-- a frivolity with character, especially with incidental characters, that can come off as inhumane at the worst, and at best emphasizes his interest in scale at the expense of intimacy and empathy. Which is fine-- all of the above could be said just as well about Moebius and I love Moebius. It's just always weird to me in the context of Marvel, which I think at its best is all about sappiness and sentiment and peoples' feelings budging the scales of an impartial universe (which Hickman can write, and well-- see loads of stuff in his FF/Fantastic Four tenure), and people blundering out into the unknownand finding, against all odds, warmth and friendship where they expected the abyss. Which I guess is to say I want everyone to be Al Ewing (and that I hope Galactus never turns back).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think his character moments are just fine. Hell the best moment with Spock happens in Hickman's Avengers.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The whole point of Hickman's post Infinity A/NA run was the deconstruction and destruction of the main characters as heroes, especially Cap and Iron Man, to the point where the final issues of A/NA (or we can count it as SW #0) is Iron Man and Cap fighting in out in a pointless brawl as the 1610 is literally crashing into the 616 and people are dying everywhere. More than anything Hickman's entire run is how motivations can be twisted and ruined so people end up becoming monsters despite trying their very best at doing "the right thing", until the point where The Biggest Monster of All Time, Doctor loving Doom, is a multiversal savior.

It's a very DC story, wherein the story is about what the heroes mean as iconic, godly beings with responsibilities to and for humanity, which makes sense considering Hickman changes the Avengers during his run to be the most Justice League-esque as a function, and their problems are the most DC-esque, from collapsing universes to its finale being Crisis on Infinite 1610 and 616. Secret Wars, itself, is almost-but-not-quite a continuity reset, furthering the DC analogy.

Honestly it's why it was and still is my favorite run and crossover event of all time. Hickman basically delivers the best concept of a Crisis-style event, something DC has tried and mostly failed (depending on how you view Final Crisis, I guess) at doing for thirty loving years, including CoIE itself, and is able to elevate Marvel's heroes until they feel as grandiose and as mythic as Superman, Batman, WW, etc always do, while still also keeping the emotionally resonant core that defines Marvel.

Like, "You don't have to do this." "I don't think I can." is, to me, the absolute best comic book exchange in history. It's incredible.

I'll agree with all this. It was pretty weird (in a great way) seeing Marvel write an Avengers vs. Justice League story where the Avengers were the villains.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I think his character moments are just fine. Hell the best moment with Spock happens in Hickman's Avengers.

I'd agree with you on Spock. I adored his take on Peter Parker in general and I would have loved to see him take a crack at a Spider-Man title, where the scale, presumably, would have been narrowed a bit while still permitting a lot of room to play around with weird science hijinx.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Said it before and I'll say it again. Hickman's New Avengers, focusing on the Illuminati, was quite good and a memorable -- if sometimes inorganic and a bit unbelievable -- examination of all these characters and the plight they've found themselves in.

Hickman's actual main Avengers book, though, is weirdly overrated and completely frustrating on almost every level. Here, I'll summarize every single issue of that series for everyone:
-There's a massive incomprehensible problem suddenly appearing out of nowhere
-Every single one of the numerous Avengers swat blindly and ineffectually at the problem like a horde of gnats
-They don't fix the problem. The end. Moving on to the next issue and the next problem they don't fix.
-Oh and meanwhile Captain Universe will prattle on about the world being broken at some point but no one will bother asking her to elaborate.

Speaking of which, every single one of the new characters Hickman introduced are obnoxious lil' mofos who I loved watching die pointlessly throughout his run. Every single one. No exceptions.

I will say that there are a couple -- a couple -- of pretty cool scenes and ideas throughout this series. But I honestly don't think it would be as remotely well-regarded if it weren't narratively and thematically tied to its superior sister series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No, it's still really good. Not everyone seemed essential in such a sprawling cast, but each character got to do something cool, and have a good line or two. Simple things, like Hawkeye being the one to notice what the trajectory of the rogue planet meant, or whatever.

Avengers with a dose of Legion of Super Heroes and JLA was a good way to go. I'll be doing a reread of Morrison's JLA soon, so I can definitively decide on which I like more.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh that note, I quite enjoyed the first issue of No Surrender this week. Larraz's artwork continues to be incredibly enjoyable. And the...communal state?...of the Marvel universe has been a little bit disorganized lately so it was nice to have an issue of, okay, here are all the teams we got right now, here are the members, here's what they're all doing, and off we go...even if a lot of them do get benched by the middle of this issue.

I do think the story here highlights just how...I dunno...ill-suited?...that most of the Marvel superheroes are at actually dealing with giant world-threatening threats. The planet has gone bonkers! Buildings are falling apart everywhere! We all gonna die! What's iconic leading superhero Captain America gonna do to save us? I dunno, toss his shield at some debris I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

The planet has gone bonkers! Buildings are falling apart everywhere! We all gonna die! What's iconic leading superhero Captain America gonna do to save us? I dunno, toss his shield at some debris I guess.

guess the ultimate universe really did come back

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

guess the ultimate universe really did come back

Well no one was raped or eaten during it...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
...yet

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

pubic works project posted:

No they weren't. I thought they were Z'Nox...but then I re-read it and it's some new alien race.

Were they the Sn'rks? Those dudes date back to Power Pack.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah I think it was SNARK WAR HAS BEGUN:black101:

Edit: I wanna say it was Royals issue 8 or 9?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, those are the Zn'rx, or as Power Pack called them, the Snarks. Date back to Power Pack #1, 1984. Their whole "we'll steal your powers" schtick is pretty longrunning, too, as they were always trying to find ways to steal the powers of the Power kids.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It amazes me that Marvel has yet to make a Power Pack cartoon. Like everything about them from their origin to their uniforms to the sibling dynamic screams "Saturday Morning Cartoon" but it still hasn't happened.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looks like Saladin has even more on the way

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/951547932737753088

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

TwoPair posted:

It amazes me that Marvel has yet to make a Power Pack cartoon. Like everything about them from their origin to their uniforms to the sibling dynamic screams "Saturday Morning Cartoon" but it still hasn't happened.

In like 1991, Marvel made a pilot for a live-action PP show, which obviously never went anywhere. I have no idea who owns the property or what its status is today: agreed that a cartoon would be fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

Franklin and the Future Foundation should make a Power Pack universe for them to play in. Alex Power can any out with his younger self, and Katie Power/Tong will be the character team up of 2018.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TwoPair posted:

I recently read through all of the Monsters Unleashed event, and that sure felt like it was screaming out for a TV tie-in at the end. If you'd told me that was based on a script for a cartoon pilot or toy line that never got off the ground, it would have made so much more sense as a project to me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Are Saturday-morning cartoons still a thing? I legit don't know, the only interaction I have with cartoons nowadays is with that Netflix Voltron show.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BrianWilly posted:

Are Saturday-morning cartoons still a thing? I legit don't know, the only interaction I have with cartoons nowadays is with that Netflix Voltron show.

No, they stopped doing that about a few years ago.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BrianWilly posted:

The last saturday morning cartoons block died some years ago, with Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel's got Conan rights back from Dark Horse.
https://www.newsarama.com/38170-conan-the-barbarian-returning-to-marvel-in-2019.html

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/conan-returns-to-marvel/

Maybe now I can do that exiles pitch with the Conan from that What If? issue where he becomes a god and gets Thor's hammer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, Deodato should not be allowed to draw Conan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, Deodato should not be allowed to draw Conan.

Ribic's got the other art piece, but it didn't have any other Marvel characters in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Conan visits weirdworld

• Locked thread