Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

You should make them submit and be a vassal. They'll never like you, but every time you look at the galaxy map you can laugh at them being under your thumb.

Honestly I might just give them to my hive mind vassal so that they can enjoy the exotic taste of evil peacocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Oblivious posted:

What will be even better is when we can use shield generator Colossi to put their entire species in Time Out.

Maybe we’ll let you guys out of kitty jail in a millenia if our observation posts indicate your society is less poo poo :colbert:

That hardly seems krikkit.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Honestly I might just give them to my hive mind vassal so that they can enjoy the exotic taste of evil peacocks.

The word 'evil' is totally redundant here just fyi

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

The word 'evil' is totally redundant here just fyi

Seriously, their diplomacy screen sounds alone are worth burning their worlds.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've got to imagine that the vast majority of civilizations, when placed in Space Jail, would exhaust all their planet's resources in a few generations on futile attempts to break out.

Alternatively if they've got access to antimatter & matter replication technologies they can literally live off rocks & magma forever.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Is there a fix for the bug where there will be an announcement for a Precursor discovery on such and such planet, only for there to be nothing on that planet?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

I've got to imagine that the vast majority of civilizations, when placed in Space Jail, would exhaust all their planet's resources in a few generations on futile attempts to break out.

Alternatively if they've got access to antimatter & matter replication technologies they can literally live off rocks & magma forever.

I assume many of them will die from sleep deprivation under a permanently glowing green sky. Somehow, the shield option sounds like the worst in some ways.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

Somehow, the shield option sounds like the worst in some ways.

"Tap the glass and watch them squirm."

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I had that same question... I just completed the last of the "Vaultaum" quest chain - I had to send in a science ship to their homeworld, but unfrotunately another science ship that happened to be in the next door system came along and 'surveyed' it, so now the popup for that quest chain / special project doesn't work.

Speaking of which - are the buttons on a science vessel supposed to do anything? I'll have a science ship in a system, and I'll left click the "research special project" icon... and the ship won't do anything... or the "Survey this system" either... the only thing that gets them to do stuff is if I select the ship, then manually zoom out and click on the star itself.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
One more quick question for the experts....

I'm playing as UN-starter race, I have about 10 colonised planets with 5 in a sector, in one spiral arm of a galaxy. In my 'backyard' I have a whole other spiral arm of a galaxy full on unpopulated planets that nobody has touched. However, they are all tiny and small (11 pop max). I was content to just grab the big ones (22 pop size +) and leave the others alone...

Except my federation-associated neighbour, with good relations, is starting to grab them up - and I don't want that.... of course, I also don't want to grab a bunch of 10-11 sized planets as that will drive up my unity and research costs...

Is the solution to colonize these planets, and then make them my vassals?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Aethernet posted:

I assume many of them will die from sleep deprivation under a permanently glowing green sky. Somehow, the shield option sounds like the worst in some ways.

It's perfectly possible to sleep under full light. You'd be amazed what you can get used to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GorfZaplen posted:

Is there a fix for the bug where there will be an announcement for a Precursor discovery on such and such planet, only for there to be nothing on that planet?

Soemone on reddit said to click the little camera icon that takes you straight to the system. Since I started doing that, 100% of those announcements have yielded results, rather than "almost none"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guigui posted:

One more quick question for the experts....

I'm playing as UN-starter race, I have about 10 colonised planets with 5 in a sector, in one spiral arm of a galaxy. In my 'backyard' I have a whole other spiral arm of a galaxy full on unpopulated planets that nobody has touched. However, they are all tiny and small (11 pop max). I was content to just grab the big ones (22 pop size +) and leave the others alone...

Except my federation-associated neighbour, with good relations, is starting to grab them up - and I don't want that.... of course, I also don't want to grab a bunch of 10-11 sized planets as that will drive up my unity and research costs...

Is the solution to colonize these planets, and then make them my vassals?

If you want to claim space, use outposts.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

If you want to claim space, use outposts.

I am - and would (currently have 4) - but they're starting to take their toll on my influence gain (currently +2).

... I also had something really weird happen... I had a level 5 scientist who also was the leader of a spiritualist faction that I really don't like. Long of the short, he was about to win the general election in my democratic government, when I had him go investigate a level 1 anomaly with (if I recall corretly) was a 0% risk due to him having the careful and paranoid traits...

Three days before the election, his science ship blows up from what would be the most banal of asteroid scans... and my unity faction takes the presidency (much to my relief, but still...)

That's not an effect from me picking "cutthroat politics", is it?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there are failed anomalies that will cause your science ship to catch on fire and explode after a time delay rather than immediately - perhaps that's what happened?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

It's perfectly possible to sleep under full light. You'd be amazed what you can get used to.

- Emissary X'dolden, Speech to the Galactic Assembly On Behalf Of The Pacific Empire Of Gulnost Following The Englobement Of Stratys IV.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

- Emissary X'dolden, Speech to the Galactic Assembly On Behalf Of The Pacific Empire Of Gulnost Following The Englobement Of Stratys IV.

What he actually said was "Just shut your drat curtains, quit bitching and be happy we didn't go with plan B." History has a way of distorting things.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/951847521600581632

:allears:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lol colorblind people can't tell the difference.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Wiz, could we please have some more empire colors? Much as I'd love having a hue/saturation/value bar so I could decide how bright/muted my empire likes their colors, having a dozen or two more would sure cut down on the likelihood that half your neighbors are going to wind up using the same pastel blue color as their primary color.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Lol colorblind people can't tell the difference.

You can make them blue/red so eh.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wiz, could we please have some more empire colors? Much as I'd love having a hue/saturation/value bar so I could decide how bright/muted my empire likes their colors, having a dozen or two more would sure cut down on the likelihood that half your neighbors are going to wind up using the same pastel blue color as their primary color.

They're changing the way that empires are coloured on the map already (you can see it in the shot above)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

That's good because holy gently caress why do designers keep designing around "lets use similar brightness shades of red and green to distinguish these two very important things" when like 8% of men are going to have trouble with that. I guess because people with some sort of colour deficiency don't go into art and you get whole teams of people designing interfaces and graphics who never consider it?

Even just a minor thing like making the green a lighter green and the red a darker red helps immensely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baronjutter posted:

That's good because holy gently caress why do designers keep designing around "lets use similar brightness shades of red and green to distinguish these two very important things" when like 8% of men are going to have trouble with that. I guess because people with some sort of colour deficiency don't go into art and you get whole teams of people designing interfaces and graphics who never consider it?

Even just a minor thing like making the green a lighter green and the red a darker red helps immensely.

It's because red and green have a massive amount of cultural momentum behind representing "bad thing" and "good thing" respectively, surely

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Don't hyperlanes you can't use already turn red? I could've sworn they did but I haven't played in a couple weeks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're changing the way that empires are coloured on the map already (you can see it in the shot above)

I'm aware, but this isn't about map visibility, they've got that handled.

I just want more colors, and would love some that aren't muted or pastel.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

turn off the TV posted:

Laughing because it reminded me of this

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-bills-jets-game-is-complete-torture-for-color-blind-people/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's because red and green have a massive amount of cultural momentum behind representing "bad thing" and "good thing" respectively, surely

Uh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Joint_Military_Symbology#Affiliation

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Baronjutter posted:

like 8% of men

People who have never suffered from a particular problem rarely give it a second thought and need training in order to reflexively account for it, news at 11?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why are small planets not worth colonizing?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NATO SYMBOLS CONFIRMED IN STELLARIS

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every owned planet (including ringworld sections and habitats) increases the unity cost of traditions by a fixed amount. A 25 size gaia world costs the same as a 10 size rock. Population also counts, but it doesn't matter where that is. Also, they count towards your Core Systems the same as big planets, despite being worth less. Finally, planet modifiers are more efficient on larger planets (+10% minerals on a world is better if you're producing 40 minerals than 20). All else equal, it is better to have one 20 size planet than 2 10 size planets, or even 2 15 size planets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They take up planet cap for a lesser return than a larger planet. If you're just cramming them into a sector, then go ahead.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LonsomeSon posted:

People who have never suffered from a particular problem rarely give it a second thought and need training in order to reflexively account for it, news at 11?

I wouldn't have thought about it unless someone brought it up to me, mostly because the Stellaris UI is big into green and red as a whole.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

wiegieman posted:

They take up planet cap for a lesser return than a larger planet. If you're just cramming them into a sector, then go ahead.

It should be noted that each colonized planet and each POP living on them applies the same penalty to research and unity costs regardless of them being in a sector or not.

If you go nuts grabbing planets that are all undeveloped it can set you back considerably.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Essentially, the more planets your empire has to administrate, the more your research programs will suffer (research costs go up). Also, the bureaucratic machine of your empire starts getting more and more problems with keeping your space nation unified (unity costs go up).

This means if you just colonize every tiny rock you come across, you can sometimes get planets too small to put down enough unity and research buildings to even maintain the status quo. Your empire becomes a bloated mess.

(On the other hand, every tiny rock gives you another space port for sweet, sweet fleet cap. So as soon as you've run through most of the tech tree and nearly all the tradition trees, feel free to collect them all!)

Generally, planets with less than 12 tiles are something you want to avoid like the plague during the early- and mid-game. Personally, I tend to avoid everything below 14 for as long as possible.

A planet cap does not exist, by the way. Wiegieman is 100% wrong there, that cap got changed to a system one long ago. (Which makes stuff even more problematic, if you have let's say three size 8 shitholes in a single system, you could theoretically colonize all three and only use up one cap point. This of course would triple all the above mentioned problems. It's awesome if you get multiple large planets in a single system, though! :v: )

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have a bunch of multi-planet systems so I enjoy filling them out. It's a shame that Unity doesn't work on systems instead of planets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I subscribe to the policy that multi planet systems are good, because planets are the best way to get minerals and more planets means more star bases to build ships with.

You can always just salvage technology from the floating wrecks of your enemies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

wiegieman posted:

I subscribe to the policy that multi planet systems are good, because planets are the best way to get minerals and more planets means more star bases to build ships with.

You can always just salvage technology from the floating wrecks of your enemies.

Planets are to be 100% specialized for minerals, habitats are for research, and your dyson sphere should take care of energy with any additional needs coming from solar collectors on your habitats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I colonize as much as possible because I don't know how else to expand my borders + fleet power + stuff without building too many outposts and losing all my influence :(

• Locked thread