Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Introduce bespoke qualifying tires that each team gets a single set of that lasts like 2 laps.

Make the grid 3 abreast or something who cares as long as it remains a standing start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

1500quid's extensive and extreme overhaul of qualifying to make it interesting and relevant again:

Dont force cars to start the race on tires they qualified on

Make the teams dig their race tyres out of a bin.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Introduce bespoke qualifying tires that each team gets a single set of that lasts like 2 laps.

Make the grid 3 abreast or something who cares as long as it remains a standing start.

We basically have qualifying tires now, I seriously doubt anybody would use the softer compounds in the race if it wasn't mandated.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

We basically have qualifying tires now, I seriously doubt anybody would use the softer compounds in the race if it wasn't mandated.

Go even softer and only allowed in qualifying.

Make it so sensitive that you really can only get one hot lap out of them and even on the cooling down lap its 50/50 if the whole thing just disintegrates.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so aparently in f1 2017 i will stay with sauber because the interface is trash and i didnt know what the gently caress i was doing when i recieved offers from renault and toro rosso. hASS and williams are pretty interested in me

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

so aparently in f1 2017 i will stay with sauber because the interface is trash and i didnt know what the gently caress i was doing when i recieved offers from renault and toro rosso. hASS and williams are pretty interested in me

Stick with Sauber and take them to the WDC/WCC. It's the only way to play. Once you jump up the grid into the faster top teams it becomes pretty boring.

They also hosed up by introducing this interesting tech tree but then everything takes absolutely forever because the rate of resource point collection is extremely loving slow so who even cares.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Stick with Sauber and take them to the WDC/WCC. It's the only way to play. Once you jump up the grid into the faster top teams it becomes pretty boring.

They also hosed up by introducing this interesting tech tree but then everything takes absolutely forever because the rate of resource point collection is extremely loving slow so who even cares.

Just download a loader. Gave myself like a billion resource point in McLaren, maxed it out and it was still garbage. Lol codemasters.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Just download a loader. Gave myself like a billion resource point in McLaren, maxed it out and it was still garbage. Lol codemasters.

I looked everywhere and I couldn't find one except for that cheat happens trainers site which paywalls all their poo poo.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i play on ps4

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Godspeed, Toro Rosso

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/951866150433980417

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
red bull are hoping that the honda engine is good when renault tells them to gently caress of? or they really think that aston will build a engine?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Red Stool - Asston Fartin

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I really need to watch the McLaren documentary. Could use some laughs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be completely fair to Honda, designing a gearbox without thinking about whether the engine will fit sounds like the most British thing in the world.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

If you are Canadian and upset about the fact that the federal government was implicitly aware that their own citizen was being tortured by their greatest ally and decided to settle the lawsuit from that citizen then please PM me and I will personally reimburse you the roughly 32 cents in tax dollars it cost you so you can shut the gently caress up about it and never mention it again.

If you are Canadian and don't think Lance Stroll is amazing and a national treasure then you can gently caress off.

I am Canadian and Lance Stroll has basically shown himself to be a garbage can full of poo thus far.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Me and Wicka shitposting when Williams announces Sirotkin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcpE_JMB7Ig

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

To be completely fair to Honda, designing a gearbox without thinking about whether the engine will fit sounds like the most British thing in the world.

This entire debacle is the Footwork-Porsche saga of 1991. There was clearly a communication breakdown somewhere, but unlike Porsche I'd say Honda bears majority of the blame here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think unlike Footwork, McLaren is established enough that they could survive a massive fuckup like this. See also: Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

This entire debacle is the Footwork-Porsche saga of 1991. There was clearly a communication breakdown somewhere, but unlike Porsche I'd say Honda bears majority of the blame here.

I blame Porsche equally for that, by all accounts the engine was overweight and the decision to put the PTO in the middle of the engine was based on 1970s design philosophy.

Honda for sure takes the lion's share of the blame this go round though. I think a few of McLaren's cars were dogs but I think there probably would've been a bit of incentive to pull the finger out if the engine wasn't the worst one on the grid by a country mile.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 12, 2018

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes but the Footwork Transmission also had huge problems and by all accounts the FA12 had the rigidity of a wet paper bag, and the chassis initially couldn't take the engine. They had to drag the Brawn designed A11 out for a few races. Somehow it was easier to put the V12 in that car. Had it not been for Suzuki bringing the Mugen engines with him they probably would have not survived the winter.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair to Mezger, he simply stuck with what he knew. The late-80s-1993/4ish was a comparatively bad time for Porsche all around.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

The Qualifying tires until they were banned in '93 were like this. I read an interview with Pierluigi Martini and he said the Pirelli qualifiers had phenominal grip but were only good for a single flier, maybe 2 if you were lucky.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think when you consider the entirety of the process - choosing Honda, doing due diligence (or not), dictating the timeline, dictating the design - the buck has to stop with McLaren.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've talked about it before but I think Honda's organisational structure is ultimately where the blame lies for everything.

Honda very easily could've said that they were uncomfortable with McLaren dictating the engine perimeters to the degree that they weren't running what Mercedes was if they kept actual experienced people in their motorsports program.

Instead they are constantly swapping fresh people in constantly and told to be bold with new ideas so it just encourages them to go down these dead ends where somebody with more experience would've dismissed the idea as unfeasible and had a clearer idea of where to go.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

red bull are hoping that the honda engine is good when renault tells them to gently caress of? or they really think that aston will build a engine?

They're hoping that a "neutral" engine supplier comes to the party in 2021.

1500quidporsche posted:

Instead they are constantly swapping fresh people in constantly and told to be bold with new ideas so it just encourages them to go down these dead ends where somebody with more experience would've dismissed the idea as unfeasible and had a clearer idea of where to go.

Sounds like what you do if you're trying to change the paradigm without actually knowing how to change the paradigm.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I've talked about it before but I think Honda's organisational structure is ultimately where the blame lies for everything.

Honda very easily could've said that they were uncomfortable with McLaren dictating the engine perimeters to the degree that they weren't running what Mercedes was if they kept actual experienced people in their motorsports program.

Agreed, but ultimately Ron should’ve seen that and said “ha, no way,” and just stuck with customer Mercedes engines. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Mercedes was pushing them out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mclaren was dumb as poo poo for announcing the detail in 2013. It should've been midway through 2014 before Mercedes had any idea that Mclaren was looking for an outside supplier.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Anticipating this, should be a good poo poo show

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

Sounds like Honda! Back in the 80s they ran a GP bike with oval pistons because they wanted to effectively run a v8 but the rules said max 4 cylinders. And they ran a bike with an exoskeleton frame. Neither one went anywhere and they gave up and made a normal 2t like everyone else and eventually won some stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe I have missed the news, or kinda forgotten, but has Williams announced who they are replacing Massa with?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

You Am I posted:

Maybe I have missed the news, or kinda forgotten, but has Williams announced who they are replacing Massa with?

Not yet.

But it's 99.9% going to be Sirotkin with a deal rumoure dto already be done and it's just formalities at this point.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/7pxmxd/example_of_the_f1_streaming_service/

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

That camera position on Lewis’s looks weird

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Much like Lewis

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
wrong

lewis has no camera positions he deleted his insta

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want my old r e t r o w a v e skull back

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

Not yet.

But it's 99.9% going to be Sirotkin with a deal rumoure dto already be done and it's just formalities at this point.

There was a rumour Kubica was going to get the reserve slot as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dudley posted:

There was a rumour Kubica was going to get the reserve slot as well.
Bobby K is "in talks for support role": https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-in-talks-for-williams-support-role-for-2018-995381/

I guess he's hoping they'll plonk him into the car when Sirotkin inevitably flops.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Wirth1000 posted:

Not yet.

Williams are going to be such garbage this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
forever

• Locked thread