Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I have over 1500 hours in this game and I do not, under any circumstances, want spacelegs in my dead gay space sim. If Star Citizen is any indicator, it's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I have over 1500 hours in this game and I do not, under any circumstances, want spacelegs in my dead gay space sim. If Star Citizen is any indicator, it's poo poo.

gently caress, and here I thought my 1100 hours were exceptional

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have VR and want to be able to walk around stations, sit on my rear end, and watch Netflix while watching ships land and takeoff.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I want to ride around in circles on the station trams

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

timn posted:

Unironically this, in VR.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just want a game that isn't taking notes from Korean grinding MMOs. Feels like that's a pipe dream, though. :smith:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use the robust external camera suite and pretend a little?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

Use the robust external camera suite and pretend a little?

What happens if you activate the camera suite with VR on?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk. I don't have VR, but I've done exactly that on my 2d screens...

I'm posting a pic I took of the Heart and Soul nebulas in 2016.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Inspector Hound posted:

What happens if you activate the camera suite with VR on?

Same thing as it does in 2D mode. It's just a bit disorienting to move around.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just yesterday got my first play session in with my fancy new T16000 whatever joystick. Pretty goddamn rad. I really have no idea what I'm doing though. So far I've been doing missions here and there, enjoying the sights and upgrading my ship here and there. I appreciate the OP's warning not to join any of the power factions or whatever, but it seems like I'll be a casual player in this game forever. Are there any formal clan mechanics to support a real goonsquad, or should I tough it out on my own? And be honest would I just piss everyone off in a private chat server by being the idiot newbie who doesn't play very often?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just yesterday got my first play session in with my fancy new T16000 whatever joystick. Pretty goddamn rad. I really have no idea what I'm doing though. So far I've been doing missions here and there, enjoying the sights and upgrading my ship here and there. I appreciate the OP's warning not to join any of the power factions or whatever, but it seems like I'll be a casual player in this game forever. Are there any formal clan mechanics to support a real goonsquad, or should I tough it out on my own? And be honest would I just piss everyone off in a private chat server by being the idiot newbie who doesn't play very often?

no but they should be coming
not in-game, but diamond frogs is a big thing
no

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Are there any formal clan mechanics to support a real goonsquad, or should I tough it out on my own? And be honest would I just piss everyone off in a private chat server by being the idiot newbie who doesn't play very often?

And here's the thread for the Diamond Frogs group boar guy mentioned. Once you get into the discord, always ask questions no matter how dumb. It's what the support group channel is for and most people are more than happy to try and answer. Don't gotta play the game like it's a second job either, so don't worry about that part.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

I see that their upcoming game updates in q1 will bring more thargoid stuff and encourage fighting them. I like how this "thargoid war" is unfolding in-game with all the stations being attacked and the current CG. The main problem I have is that it is hardly accessible from a Solo play standpoint. Killing a thargoid solo so far seems very difficult. Maybe they will bring smaller, easier to kill enemies? But I dunno.

You have to think of Thargoids as end-game raid content. This is confusing because Elite is a single-player game with optional, non-consensual co-op.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Libluini posted:

gently caress, and here I thought my 1100 hours were exceptional

Oh oh! Are we measuring our e-peens???? Mine is 1533 hours on :steam: but I lost a bunch in the Horizons shuffle. :awesome:

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The casual Elite player is the successful one, imo. This game burns you out if you grind too hard, but is great for doing shooty-spacemans or relaxing with the PVE content. Formal clan mechanics are incoming, but you will want to get in the discord anyways, so may as well do that now. There are multiple chatrooms on the discord, including one's specifically for asking newbie questions, so you wouldn't piss anyone off. TBH, most bittervets are so enamored by the :shobon:-ness of a newbie that they are more than willing to help out since it lets them recapture a little bit of that new-game wonder.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Space legs would be cool and if you don't think having some space legs base building ala FO4,NMS, Etc on random planets would be fun I'm sorry for you.

Edit: also doing ridiculous stunts like launching your srv into space, jumping out, and trying to land back in it. And generally loving about.

That said there is definitely a lot more pressing things that should be done to this game. Like unfucking the grind.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 12, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

timn posted:

I want to drive the trams and also fill my space car with space gas like in one of my other favorite Elite-likes, Jalopy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Crow posted:

Space legs would be cool and if you don't think having some space legs base building ala FO4,NMS, Etc on random planets would be fun I'm sorry for you.

A VR version of No Man's Sky would be pretty great, yeah. Elite needs way more planetary detail before going outside without the SRV seems attractive.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My girlfriend and I meet in VR daily in the ED lounge to discuss my ED.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Spacelegs are Star Citizen's last problem (the first being called PERSISTENT UNIVERSE or better said lol, how the gently caress can you buy and keep ships with in game credit since everyone can stow away and kill you while you pilot and hijack the ship).

Mr. Crow posted:

Edit: also doing ridiculous stunts like launching your srv into space, jumping out, and trying to land back in it. And generally loving about.

That said there is definitely a lot more pressing things that should be done to this game. Like unfucking the grind.

The welder section of Squadron 42 make me think about Space Station 13 and therefore that goons playing Star Citizen as goons will extract lots of of rage and create many funny videos.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 13, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
How much have you pledged comrade?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I'm Chris Roberts ama

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

limaCAT posted:

I'm Chris Roberts ama

can I have a jpeg

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

can I have a jpeg

No.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

That'll be $5000

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
space legs will be so much fun cant you guys imagine trying to press the use button on your pilots chair to get it in it while the ship spins around and then you die and lose your ship because it was spinning all around and you couldn't get in just like real life

just like real life

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

space legs will be so much fun cant you guys imagine trying to press the use button on your pilots chair to get it in it while the ship spins around and then you die and lose your ship because it was spinning all around and you couldn't get in just like real life

just like real life

I hope the irony of this post in this thread hasn't escaped you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

limaCAT posted:

The welder section of Squadron 42 make me think about Space Station 13 and therefore that goons playing Star Citizen as goons will extract lots of of rage and create many funny videos.
The best thing about Star Citizen is the hours of entertainment one can obtain from it without spending a single dime.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

limaCAT posted:

Spacelegs are Star Citizen's last problem (the first being called PERSISTENT UNIVERSE or better said lol, how the gently caress can you buy and keep ships with in game credit since everyone can stow away and kill you while you pilot and hijack the ship).

Is this real? Those ships cost so much and you can just sneak aboard someone’s and kill them to steal it?

Every time I get a little curious and pop into a twitch stream of star citizen it looks like the jankiest most barely playable joke of a game I’ve ever seen. The cockpits are complicated beyond imagination because nerds and I can’t see how they are useful or playable at all.

Honestly elite dangerous won the fight a long long time ago. It will just keep (very slowly) getting better too.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Wait this is it for Horizons? They've decided the game is finished enough now to release a second full price expansion?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are making enough money from space pilot dolly clothing and spaceship paint jobs where they don't need to charge money on top of the Horizons.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

To be fair some of the cosmetics are pretty sick.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Huh, well that's good to hear.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The chrome and gold christmas sale stuff probably made them a poo poo ton of money. Also, some of the clothes are pretty legit. I haven't bought any of the actual clothes but I have certainly purchased plenty of cool paint jobs because they are sick. I think the Anaconda Camo and Yellow/Grey Safety chevron ones are still the best.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A lot of the paint jobs and dumb outfits are pretty neat. It's just frustrating that there's apparently pretty much nothing to customize yourself in those ways outside of the cash shop.

I really wish there were some options you could buy in-game, especially for paint jobs. It's not like there's a particularly limited number of 2D patterns or color combinations they can slap into a texture file or anything, and they could still charge for Primo poo poo in the cash shop and let you find random designs as mission rewards or something in the meantime.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Just the ability to do like a primary/secondary color thing would be cool.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If they let people walk around the outside of their ship, it starts making less sense that you couldn't do so with a five credit can of spraypaint in one gloved hand.

(I get that "storefronts are here, get used to it," but I hate 'em.)

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Let's be reasonable here and assume frontier will have fall damage if you get out of your srv because realism or something stupid

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Let's be reasonable here and assume frontier will have fall damage if you get out of your srv because realism or something stupid

You'll find a planet with such low grav that you pull a sick jump in an SRV and then disembark to launch yourself out into the void.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't mind funding their development with :10bux: every couple months so I can play space-ship-dress-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

I don't mind funding their development with :10bux: every couple months so I can play space-ship-dress-up.

lol if you don't have a full blown spending addiction and throw $100 a month on cosmetics

• Locked thread