Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Haha yeah I'm definitely not looking into warehouse jobs.

I'm not banking on Amazon but almost half of all the LT's and CPT's I know that have gotten out here now work for Amazon and if not them then some other tech company that either has its headquarters or offices in Seattle.

Employment doesn't seem to be very difficult for officers getting out in the Seattle area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Amazon and Starbucks are big into hiring vets in that area.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Delizin posted:

I have a very good friend that works as a mid level software developer for Amazon and loves his job for the most part. If you're a low level employee or temp worker stuck in a warehouse then your job is probably going to suck no matter where you work. In the better positions, Amazon is fairly comparable to most other tech companies in quality of life and benefits.

Amazon web services is essentially a completely different company from amazon the website that sells things. I've heard great things about AWS, but nothing but terrible about amazon itself.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

xsf421 posted:

Amazon web services is essentially a completely different company from amazon the website that sells things. I've heard great things about AWS, but nothing but terrible about amazon itself.

a friend of mine worked for amazon managing a dc. he said the pay(salary + bonus + stock) were good, the hours atrocious, and the pressure to perform was very high.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I made it home. My back and my legs hurt like gently caress ton, and I feel like poo poo but I’m happy to be home.

I can barely stand and Quasimodo to bathroom and back. Feels loving awesome to stand on my own two legs. Never thought I’d miss it.

My wife is trying to prevent me from moving too much. I got all kinds of post-surgery injections that I’m jabbing into my belly and back.

My Army Doc basically told me I’m not gonna Army anytime soon.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Now begins his long descent into hate and bitterness as his unit begins to treat him like a brokedick shitbag.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vahakyla posted:

Your unit may have other opinions on this.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah dude, chances are your current unit or your next unit will turn on your because you can't ruck or whatever, and will either order you to grind your spine into dust and turn your into a cripple, or just treat you like a malingering piece of poo poo.

I always thought that the opinion of idiots ain't worth poo poo, so the second thing never bothered me. But the first thing you need to document the poo poo out of. If they are forcing you to do stuff that is going to gently caress you up, you need to keep going to medical and document it all. If they still keep it up use your BCs open door policy, patient advocates, anything at all until you get the gently caress out because you are now considered a worthless piece of poo poo to most people in the army now, no matter how good you are at your job.

Unless of course you get better with no problems in which case good for you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Now begins his long descent into hate and bitterness as his unit begins to treat him like a brokedick shitbag.

Yup. He will eventually become jaded once he realizes that if he isn’t peak performance, he’s a poo poo bag. Can’t work harder if you try to work smarter.

Glad you’re ok, but you’re about to see the side of the Army that made us all the way we are. It comes in stages, but you’ll never fully recover. No matter what the doc says. Sometime down the line, you’ll start hurting because you rushed getting back, ignored the pain during recovery, and didn’t do physical therapy. You’ll end up on Motrin or Vicodin for chronic pain and a glowing hatred of the Army as you are continually passed up by your peers because you did not max your PT test.

I’ll put it this way, I averaged a surgery a year in the Army. I am hosed up. I rushed and ignored a lot. I wish I hadn’t.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

I made it home. My back and my legs hurt like gently caress ton, and I feel like poo poo but I’m happy to be home.

I can barely stand and Quasimodo to bathroom and back. Feels loving awesome to stand on my own two legs. Never thought I’d miss it.

My wife is trying to prevent me from moving too much. I got all kinds of post-surgery injections that I’m jabbing into my belly and back.

Bro, I'm sorry you got hurt. If I'm reading right it's your back?

Let me tell you that 10 years ago I collapsed with two herniated disks and a bulging disc and another disc that was so flat it was almost not there. About 6 months ago I had another MRI and there's only a slight bulging of one disc. I have 0 pain and can do anything.

I never let them operate on me, I never took the drugs. I'm not saying that stuff is bullshit, if your doctor says to do it, do it. But I avoided it and looked into just reconditioning my spine with decompression therapy (you can do a lot of it yourself too) and not ever being a retard and jumping out of aircraft or carrying dumb bullshit for dozens of miles ever again.

I got my permanent profile and I thought, was the end of my career. It wasn't. It's been a life saver that pretty much allows me to just go PT on my own (and do real PT instead of just training for the dumb APFT). Also, every senior person in the Army has one, they just suck it up a couple of times a month to put on a PT show for the peons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MthYct8yxQ

That machine was invented by Louie Simmons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Simmons

The dude was a world class lifter and destroyed his back. He completely repaired the damage through hard work, and inventing the reverse hyper machine.

Here's a good article on things you can do to repair your back. Any time you do something that compresses your spine you need to do something to decompress it.
https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/september-2017-articles/back-restoration

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

Reverse Hyper
I've always been curious how using one of these would feel. If I do pull ups and relax my back/ab muscles, my lower back pops a little bit from decompressing. It feels nice. I bet this would also feel nice. I haven't come across one in person at any gyms yet, so I'll just keep wondering.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I've always been curious how using one of these would feel. If I do pull ups and relax my back/ab muscles, my lower back pops a little bit from decompressing. It feels nice. I bet this would also feel nice. I haven't come across one in person at any gyms yet, so I'll just keep wondering.

Have you ever done traction on a split table?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0o7xLUDYDQ

I do this about twice a week with around 160 pounds (pulling).

The way it works is they fix your upper body to the table and attach a cable to your hip bones (with a big 'ol belt). Then it pulls on you with the weight for 30 seconds, and then releases for 30 seconds. It does this for about 20 or 30 minutes.

It decompresses your spine wonderfully (I feel amazing afterwards) and the action works your discs like a sponge allowing fluid to move around them and heal.

160 pounds for 30 minutes is a lot (too much for most people) so don't try anything near that weight.

Also, there are a lot of things you can do that decompress your spine. Don't think you've got to have a machine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Treating people like poo poo for having profiles is something I haven’t seen in the Army yet. 2 of my 4 SSGs were on permanent profile and both are/were rated highly.

Also had multiple junior enlisted soldiers with real issues that were frequently on profile. Issue with them was army medicine sucks and it took almost a year to determine what was actually wrong and get them the surgery they need. “Motrin and stretching will fix you!” Is too often the Army’s solution to injuries.

Had a couple malingerers but that’s almost impossible to prove, so we chaptered them out for other things.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I always thought they tied you by your wrists and ankles!

I've never had anything like that done or gone to a chiropractor for anything before. The only "treatment" I get is dead hanging from pull up bars, and I really only do it occasionally. Fortunately I just did 4 in the army and managed to do most of it without rucking, so while I'm obviously still a little broken (ankles and knees), my back managed to escape relatively intact.

[edit] I'm pretty sure every E6 and higher that I knew had a permanent profile. A good chunk of the 4s and 5s did, too.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 13, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Treating people like poo poo for having profiles is something I haven’t seen in the Army yet. 2 of my 4 SSGs were on permanent profile and both are/were rated highly.

Also had multiple junior enlisted soldiers with real issues that were frequently on profile. Issue with them was army medicine sucks and it took almost a year to determine what was actually wrong and get them the surgery they need. “Motrin and stretching will fix you!” Is too often the Army’s solution to injuries.

Had a couple malingerers but that’s almost impossible to prove, so we chaptered them out for other things.

If you're an officer with a profile, good loving luck.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I always thought they tied you by your wrists and ankles!

I've never had anything like that done or gone to a chiropractor for anything before. The only "treatment" I get is dead hanging from pull up bars, and I really only do it occasionally. Fortunately I just did 4 in the army and managed to do most of it without rucking, so while I'm obviously still a little broken (ankles and knees), my back managed to escape relatively intact.

[edit] I'm pretty sure every E6 and higher that I knew had a permanent profile. A good chunk of the 4s and 5s did, too.

They do that at physical therapy. I'll never go to a chiropractor.

psydude posted:

I've been an officer with a permanent profile for over a decade. It's fine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Bro, I'm sorry you got hurt. If I'm reading right it's your back?

Let me tell you that 10 years ago I collapsed with two herniated disks and a bulging disc and another disc that was so flat it was almost not there. About 6 months ago I had another MRI and there's only a slight bulging of one disc. I have 0 pain and can do anything.

I never let them operate on me, I never took the drugs. I'm not saying that stuff is bullshit, if your doctor says to do it, do it. But I avoided it and looked into just reconditioning my spine with decompression therapy (you can do a lot of it yourself too) and not ever being a retard and jumping out of aircraft or carrying dumb bullshit for dozens of miles ever again.

I got my permanent profile and I thought, was the end of my career. It wasn't. It's been a life saver that pretty much allows me to just go PT on my own (and do real PT instead of just training for the dumb APFT). Also, every senior person in the Army has one, they just suck it up a couple of times a month to put on a PT show for the peons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MthYct8yxQ

That machine was invented by Louie Simmons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Simmons

The dude was a world class lifter and destroyed his back. He completely repaired the damage through hard work, and inventing the reverse hyper machine.

Here's a good article on things you can do to repair your back. Any time you do something that compresses your spine you need to do something to decompress it.
https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/september-2017-articles/back-restoration

Vahakyla, be careful before jumping on the reverse hyper train. It can be super good for people who are ready for it. However, it's an exercise that requires a decent level of lower back muscular control before doing it, lest you just further gently caress yourself. Given that spacetoaster has long lifted heavy weights, it makes sense that reverse hyper was very helpful. If you've done little or light weight work, suddenly expecting yourself to stabilize weight while you do the hyper is probably unrealistic and potentially dangerous.

I didn't do any reverse hyper work until months after I'd done your basic traction, cat/camel stuff, planks of various sorts, and tons of body weight squats. Now I'm back into admittedly lower weight deadlifts, squats, bench, and a variety of agility work.

Also, P2 profiles are kinder on officers, in general, but they're not career enders, and avoiding a P2 out of fear of not "doin' that grunt poo poo" is a good way to gently caress yourself up even more and/or miss a reasonable reclass and/or lose medical benefits.

psydude posted:

It probably helps that I still run at own pace which happens to at least keep up with normal pace (not fast, but passable), but I got a permanent profile as a junior captain. My last BN and BDE CDR both had permanent profiles but were otherwise fit. Traditional situps are dead to me forever and always and recently some LTC tried to convince me to go lie to my doctor to get my profile erased from record and lmao, nope that would be a terrible idea.

Mustang posted:

Had a couple malingerers but that's almost impossible to prove, so we chaptered them out for other things.

This has mostly been my experience, aside from people desperate to be senior commanders/CSMs/1SGs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Vahakyla, be careful before jumping on the reverse hyper train. It can be super good for people who are ready for it. However, it's an exercise that requires a decent level of lower back muscular control before doing it, lest you just further gently caress yourself. Given that spacetoaster has long lifted heavy weights, it makes sense that reverse hyper was very helpful. If you've done little or light weight work, suddenly expecting yourself to stabilize weight while you do the hyper is probably unrealistic and potentially dangerous.

I didn't do any reverse hyper work until months after I'd done your basic traction, cat/camel stuff, planks of various sorts, and tons of body weight squats. Now I'm back into admittedly lower weight deadlifts, squats, bench, and a variety of agility work.

Yeah. Do what your doctor/physical the rapist says.

I didn't start reverse hyper until I had done a lot of the traction on a table.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

recently some LTC tried to convince me to go lie to my doctor to get my profile erased from record and lmao, nope that would be a terrible idea.

Wat? Did you put your hand in his face?

I helped a BC convince one of his brand new captains to get a permanent profile. The dude broke bones doing some dumb helicopter stuff and it's going to be a lifelong issue for him. He was really, REALLY loving wanting to power through the pain and it was just really hard to convince him to do the smart thing.

Anyone who gives you poo poo over a legit profile is a piece of poo poo, has maturity issues, and I wouldn't follow them to the gas station.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Wat? Did you put your hand in his face?

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that likely a certain year-long school was mine if I didn't have a profile, based on the competition.

I declined to go play "gently caress my life/legacy" games to erase a legitimate service-related injury. The assignment received instead is decent, though.

I'd gripe about some other things related to this whole clusterfuck, but it's hard to without :nsa: all over the place

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that likely a certain year-long school was mine if I didn't have a profile, based on the competition.

I declined to go play "gently caress my life/legacy" games to erase a legitimate service-related injury. The assignment received instead is decent, though.

I'd gripe about some other things related to this whole clusterfuck, but it's hard to without :nsa: all over the place

ILE? lol. Yeah, PT was numba one there. :jerkbag:

Is competition for it so serious now that they're using PT scores?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nah, no issue there. Although now ILE has mandatory PT a couple times a week and like 3-4 weigh ins.

Although the ILE cutoff is now pretty severe, apparently. I'd send you more details, but you don't have messages, scrub!

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 13, 2018

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Here you go brother. I removed my details from my old permanent profile so you can fill in your info and enjoy the rest of your time in the Army. (For some reason when I exported the eprofile pdf to an image it kept making them transparent)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, no issue there. Although now ILE has mandatory PT a couple times a week and like 3-4 weigh ins.

Although the ILE cutoff is now pretty severe, apparently. I'd send you more details, but you don't have messages, scrub!

I'm not terribly concerned about the cutoff. :smuggo:

I'll ask some sad coffee majors about it though.

Also, having PMs is a gamble considering I post in D&D and GBS and forget which one I'm in occasionally.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah P2 profile saved my rear end when my ball pain started and wouldn’t go away. Then my legs went and they tried to kick me out for weight a lot of times despite passing PT tests above minimum standards. I then had to actually erase my profile (by lying and claiming I did not have one) because I could not receive my clearing papers while on profile.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I'm not terribly concerned about the cutoff. :smuggo:

Nor I.

But I've been told by SAMS personnel that SAMS would prefer a person mocked within their branch over a person who doesn't do situps or whatever other APFT event.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Yeah P2 profile saved my rear end when my ball pain started and wouldn’t go away. Then my legs went and they tried to kick me out for weight a lot of times despite passing PT tests above minimum standards. I then had to actually erase my profile (by lying and claiming I did not have one) because I could not receive my clearing papers while on profile.

It's probably just that they didn't want you leaving the military while still needing care for an injury. Sorry about your balls.

Anybody here know that you can actually twist a ball inside your nutsack?

One of my friends jumped out of a plane one day and messed his poo poo up, thought he had pulled something in his groin. Nope, doctor had to fondle his sack in just the right way to un-twist it.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Both D&D and GBS are hot garbage.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The SAMS that’s School of Advanced Military Studies?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

It's probably just that they didn't want you leaving the military while still needing care for an injury. Sorry about your balls.

Anybody here know that you can actually twist a ball inside your nutsack?

One of my friends jumped out of a plane one day and messed his poo poo up, thought he had pulled something in his groin. Nope, doctor had to fondle his sack in just the right way to un-twist it.

It was a PCS. Not ETS.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I appreciate the concern, and I’m taking records of everything, and trying to do this the right way.

I got couple advantages in the form of a very understanding CSM, a well meaning PSG, and a care provider that’s a green beret doc LTC who I’ve worked for in the clinic a lot before this, and who carries tremendous clout around here, in addition to having been a victim of the exact same condition as I was, and the go to guy of back issues.

I’ve already been told that when it is time to return to duty, it’ll be light duty most likely at the clinic since I’m well liked there. It’s not summadat grunt poo poo but it’s a 8h30m workday with no PT or carrying anything, but just walking and sitting down with doctors.

I’m really not that worried right now about it. My main goals are to recover to being able to support myself at home first, then proceed to being able to move away from home to physical therapy. I’m also not reliant on Army medicine solely, but I have access to the local italian health care, which seems to have excellent rehabilitation resources close to my home.

I’m hoping I get to jump from a plane in under six months from now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It’s good you’re getting support now. There might be a time you don’t. That poo poo is gonna suuuuuuuuuck.

However, you might want to talk to a doc about jumping again. Something like this could be a game changer. It depends on how you heal.

Enjoy your time off.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As someone with knee/hip/back issues, let me tell you that the last thing I want to do is put on a jump harness again.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

sad coffee majors

:lol:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I really want Val to get the Army career we all thought we'd get/the one we deserved.

I think most people in here have horror stories, most beginning with Army medical loving up the dx. It goes downhill from there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Let me tell you about having my foot opened up, bones cut, plates/screws put in to hold poo poo together that decided it didn't want to anymore, and having people consider me a shitbag for not doing PT for a whole month.

Fucks given were zero because even they knew I was ETSing three months later but even then I felt the pressure. First Cav can suck all the dicks with their spur rides is what I'm saying.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's like a coffee boy, but a major.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Counterpoint: Now begins his journey to sweet medical retirement in Europe as his unit MEBs him because he can't Army anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Counterpoint: Now begins his journey to sweet medical retirement in Europe as his unit MEBs him because he can't Army anymore.

From what I've seen it's not any fun to MEB in the 173d