Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thanks much folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've been considering getting a D750. It seems like the best deal right now for a brand-new modern-ish full frame DSLR, at $2K with 24-120/4 kit lens. Certainly better than a 6D2, if going in without a lens collection bias.

But I'd thought that the 24-120 was a generally very good lens, and I know a popular local semi-pro photog who has made a lot of good stuff with a Canon 24-105 so I figured that the Nikon equivalent would also be competitive. But reviews for of the Nikon kit lens are more mixed than I thought at first. It actually seems.. not that great? Less good, all other things being equal, than the Fuji 18-55 kit lens? (Also considering an XT2.)

D750 bodies are $1500 new at my local store. Is there another lens that I could get for $500 that would be a better option than the 24-120? Really looking for a mid-range zoom with some portrait capabilities.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
*snip* I posted a DX lens and am dumb

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know I said to look for something else in the other thread but it's not that bad, especially for $500 or under. Not sure you'll find a much better zoom in the price range. Maybe a first gen of the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC. I owned a well used 24-120 f4 for a few years and got a lot of use out of it. Back when I had a 5DII the 24-105 was my only zoom and I used it a lot. Have similar feelings about both lenses. The main thing the 24-105 did better for me in real life was its focus ring is a lot nicer. I say if you'd be cool with the 24-105 then the 24-120 should be fine too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've been considering getting a D750. It seems like the best deal right now for a brand-new modern-ish full frame DSLR, at $2K with 24-120/4 kit lens. Certainly better than a 6D2, if going in without a lens collection bias.

But I'd thought that the 24-120 was a generally very good lens, and I know a popular local semi-pro photog who has made a lot of good stuff with a Canon 24-105 so I figured that the Nikon equivalent would also be competitive. But reviews for of the Nikon kit lens are more mixed than I thought at first. It actually seems.. not that great? Less good, all other things being equal, than the Fuji 18-55 kit lens? (Also considering an XT2.)

D750 bodies are $1500 new at my local store. Is there another lens that I could get for $500 that would be a better option than the 24-120? Really looking for a mid-range zoom with some portrait capabilities.

I know a celebrity photographer who uses a 5d3 & 24-105 f/4 as his bread and butter lens to shoot major A-list actors for editorials, all day. it's a fantastic lens. I liked-but-not-loved the D750, and it's worth it to bump up to the 24-70 if you can swing it, the older non-VR version is just fine. I also use the X-T2 with the 16-55mm 2.8 as my all-around and it owns, if you get lucky with the used market you might be able to find that combo for the same $2k as the d750/24-120.

The general rule of thumb is that you'll have to sacrifice somewhere if you want a longer zoom capability.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 19, 2017

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Trying to help my sister, who is now into birding, with choosing a camera. I recently got a Fuji mirrorless system, so was going to give her my old Nikon 18-200mm for her to get started - she'd just need to get an entry level body for it. I was thinking the D3400.

Thoughts on this as a starter kit? She was considering a super zoom bridge camera but that would end up more expensive, and also I've read that autofocus and such aren't so good compared with DSLRs. She can also spend money on better lenses later if she gets into it more.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Trying to help my sister, who is now into birding, with choosing a camera. I recently got a Fuji mirrorless system, so was going to give her my old Nikon 18-200mm for her to get started - she'd just need to get an entry level body for it. I was thinking the D3400.

Thoughts on this as a starter kit? She was considering a super zoom bridge camera but that would end up more expensive, and also I've read that autofocus and such aren't so good compared with DSLRs. She can also spend money on better lenses later if she gets into it more.
My first birding camera was a D3200. Great starter camera for getting into it and learning, and I had it for about a year and a half until I upgraded to a D7200.

So yes, that is a good idea. Pair it with a 70-300mm lens (cheap option) or a used Sigma 120-400mm lens (also fairly cheap) and she'll have a fantastic platform to get started with. The 18-200mm will work, but is going to be a bit short for smaller birds. Ducks and larger though should be just fine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Trying to register a new camera on Nikon's site. No matter what browser or computer I use, it does nothing other than redirect me to an error page:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_SSO_erro?configured=1

Anyone else getting this?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Are you trying to register a D400?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

No. The redirect to the error screen happens before you start telling them anything about what you're trying to register. I mean, just go to https://www.nikonusa.com/en/index.page

and then hover over Service & Support, and click on Register Your Nikon. Error message. At least for me.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 27, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Try clearing your cookies/cache for that site, or try it on your mobile instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Phanatic posted:

No. The redirect to the error screen happens before you start telling them anything about what you're trying to register. I mean, just go to https://www.nikonusa.com/en/index.page

and then hover over Service & Support, and click on Register Your Nikon. Error message. At least for me.

THe register page is opening for me, so yeah Ctrl-F5 to do a hard (no cache) refresh, or to avoid cookies, try an incognito tab, or a different browser/clear cookies if that still fails.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

loving weird. Also fails on my mobile. Nothing suggested has worked. I'm going to try from my Kindle, which has never touched a Nikon website.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lady Gaza posted:

What's her aspirations? If you look over at birdforum.net, there are a lot of birders who are happy with their SZB's because they're only interested in record & ID shots, and those sort of cameras pack a lot of zoom in to an easy to carry package. If you just want to capture some birds in the distance you need a hell of a lot of DSLR to match a the 1400mm-equivalent or more offered by the current SZBs (both in terms of cost and weight). And when you're just trying to photograph a flock a hundred metres away, things like atmospherics limit any camera from being truly great. DSLRs come in to their own when you're interested in using fieldcraft to get close to subjects.

Bird watchers and Bird Photographers can be quite different beasts who approach a 'day out with nature' in rather different ways.

Birdforum: Nikon P900, Canon SX60HS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phanatic posted:

loving weird. Also fails on my mobile. Nothing suggested has worked. I'm going to try from my Kindle, which has never touched a Nikon website.

When you tried on your phone, did you try disabling WiFi?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Can someone explain what the advantage of OEM Nikon flashes are over 3rd party brands? I thought maybe only Nikon flashes could do TTL but that doesn’t seem to be the case, even wirelessly.

A Nikon brand flashgun is £200-300 here but you can get well reviewed third party flashes for maybe £50 with TTL support. What am I missing? Is it just that promise of future compatibility?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

When you tried on your phone, did you try disabling WiFi?

Yep.

It's definitely tied to my account. Even tried from a work computer that I've never logged on before.

I finally called them and registered my camera over the phone and also told them that hey, every time I log on to my account I can't select any account option without getting redirected to that error page. They said they'd send me an email about it.

They did. It suggested logging out and changing my password, and trying to log on from a different browser. Which I did. Then the email also had a "Reply" link to click, so I clicked it to tell them that this made no difference.

The Reply link was a redirect to a Nikon support page, which promptly redirected me to the error page.

IDFGI. Or care, at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The third party stuff will probably die before the Nikon, but that’s about it. Working photographers that need absolute reliability use first party, everyone else should buy 3rd party.

If you’re in the US and looking to buy Yongnuo, use yongnuousa.net as Tim’s a good guy and will give you better customer service than some random amazon/eBay seller if something goes wrong.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Unless you need CLS or don't want to think for daylight fills, honestly a good thyristor flash is the best bang for your buck. Nikon SB80DX was a flagship at the time and is well under $100 these days. The really great third party stuff (Metz) is almost as expensive as OEM anyway.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The third party stuff will probably die before the Nikon, but that’s about it. Working photographers that need absolute reliability use first party, everyone else should buy 3rd party.

If you’re in the US and looking to buy Yongnuo, use yongnuousa.net as Tim’s a good guy and will give you better customer service than some random amazon/eBay seller if something goes wrong.

I'm a (part-time) working photographer and prefer the Godox/Flashpoint flashes for their features - they offer what Canon and Nikon currently do not, and that's worth it to me.

Similar to Yongnuo -- if you're looking at Godox and you're in the US, buy the Flashpoint branded versions -- they're identical to the Godox (and are cross-compatible with Godox-branded things) with literally just a different name, but you get Adorama's US-based service rather than Godox's China-based.

edit: speaking of the SB80DX...

flash-0324 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

flash-0327 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

and it still works!

flash-0351 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

dakana fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 8, 2018

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I bought a Yongnuo once... Never again. It's absurdly large and heavier than it should be and it failed while traveling after some very light use. It was packed very well and didn't have any obvious damage on it. Bought two used Nikon speedlights shortly thereafter for about the same price I would have paid for two new Yongnuo. I've abused the hell out of them and they still work perfectly.

The Yongnuo also had the habit of being terribly unreliable as battery levels got low, despite it's assertions that the capacitor was charged and ready. You pay for cheap poo poo and you get cheap poo poo... Go figure.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have two SB-80DX strobes and I cannot lie, they are the best flashes ever made. TTL works all the way back to my FE2 and the auto mode works wonders on everything else. In a pinch I can use them as bludgeoning weapons and they'll still work. Don't be afraid to pick up older Nikon gear, its made to last.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 11, 2018

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Trying to choose a flash is like trying to choose a camera body all over again.

Was about to grab a secondhand SB600 until I realised that my D3300 couldn’t control it off-camera as a commander and only as an optical trigger which means I’d get a full flash of the pop up flash and no TTL info passed over.

So now I’m looking into radio triggers or maybe just waiting for an eventual D7500 upgrade. Of course I was looking at the D7200 but with that body you can’t turn the VR off for my 10-20mm which makes that body useless for long exposure stuff on a tripod.

And breathe ...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TTL control with the pop up indices some cringe-worthy delay, IME. Radio or optically triggered manual flash is much nicer to use AFAIC

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The little rubber cover that protects the battery grip connector has gone missing off my d7200. I can't find the magic words to use to buy a replacement anywhere. Is there a proper name or model number for this thing?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I would assume it's identical to this d7100 one because there's no mention of one specific to the d7200 on Nikon's site, but I dunno- https://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d7100-battery-grip-connector-cover-1k685-479.html

Looks like you have all the right terms, though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheBananaKing posted:

I would assume it's identical to this d7100 one because there's no mention of one specific to the d7200 on Nikon's site, but I dunno- https://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d7100-battery-grip-connector-cover-1k685-479.html

Looks like you have all the right terms, though.

That's the one. Least I have a part number ill have a dig through ebay. Thank you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought the D850 as an upgrade from D810

Was shooting a newly opened restaurant and caught myself giggling at how much faster and more responsive live view was.

3 years between releases is a long time to make something better. Nikon really excelled with this one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone replaced the shutter curtains in a Nikon N80, or similar? I bought one with a damaged case for $19 to salvage the shutter curtains out of but it seems like you have to loving unsolder poo poo to pull the front portion of the camera away from the rear housing. Looks like the shutter is two screws and pretty self contained.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Easier faster cheaper to buy another body

All of the electronic film slrs are except for like the f6

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I figured, I'll just swap the film door from my body with a bad shutter to the $19 one I bought with a broken door.

Weak

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have D7000 I bought from Best Buy a bunch of years ago and am wondering what the best way to go about it getting serviced is?

Ideally I'm just looking for someone to clean it, calibrate it and make sure everything is working correctly.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I bet Nikon would still service a D7000. It wouldn't be Nikon themselves but one of their service center contractors. No idea what the cost would be like though.

Get an estimate.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What's the water tolerance on a D3400? I know it's not water sealed but I had it out during some light rain today and it was fine, though I was very careful with it and stayed out of the rain as much as possible. It was an incredibly light drizzle and I didn't take it out in a rain that would get me wet, beyond dampening my hair lightly. So, I assume very light ran doesn't impact it.

If it's exceptionally bad, I'd guess a plastic bag is fine to protect it in most rain?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

tijag posted:

I have D7000 I bought from Best Buy a bunch of years ago and am wondering what the best way to go about it getting serviced is?

Ideally I'm just looking for someone to clean it, calibrate it and make sure everything is working correctly.

I wouldn’t bother unless it’s horribly dirty or you’ve noticed an actual issue with it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

What's the water tolerance on a D3400? I know it's not water sealed but I had it out during some light rain today and it was fine, though I was very careful with it and stayed out of the rain as much as possible. It was an incredibly light drizzle and I didn't take it out in a rain that would get me wet, beyond dampening my hair lightly. So, I assume very light ran doesn't impact it.

If it's exceptionally bad, I'd guess a plastic bag is fine to protect it in most rain?

I've had my D3200 in light rain/drizzle a couple or three times with no issue. I do keep a small microfiber cloth in my camera bag, so I can wipe it down if it gets a little wet. But it's been a couple years and there's no sign that I got any internals wet or damaged.

I'd avoid changing lenses in the rain, though, and mostly I hold the camera inside a raincoat until I'm actually shooting, so it only gets like 10s of splatter on it before I protect it again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always keep those disposable shower caps from hotels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I grabbed a couple cheap camera bags from a local camera store, basically they're just thicker plastic bags that are formed in the shape of a DSLR+lens and fit nicely onto the end of the lens with a little drawstring. Now I shoot in the rain with no worries!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just Plastidip the whole body and lens together. Modern Nikon bodies have exceptional high ISO performance to bust through the ND of the rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sauer posted:

Just Plastidip the whole body and lens together. Modern Nikon bodies have exceptional high ISO performance to bust through the ND of the rubber.

Haha, I had a friend with a race car that was plastidipped. He stuffed it into a wall somewhere around 40mph and the paint was clean under the torn up plastidip. Car needed to be reshelled, but still, the paint, bro.