Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
The problem with Dream Theatre is not the self indulgent lyrics or long songs, it's the fact that they're basically cheese metal with time signatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The problem with Dream Theatre is not the self indulgent lyrics or long songs, it's the fact that they're basically cheese metal with time signatures.

It's the opposite of the problem, imo.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Plus simply adding Tony Levin to *any* band would improve it. And usually has.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Plus simply adding Tony Levin to *any* band would improve it. And usually has.

He makes the Tony Levin Band listenable and they’re kinda bad.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

You want a hot take? I love Systematic Chaos and even Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

This is a midtemp take, the hot take is “i only like the post-portnoy albums especially their 2 hour future space medieval CRPG album”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone got the $75 Astonishing book?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

This is a midtemp take, the hot take is “i only like the post-portnoy albums especially their 2 hour future space medieval CRPG album”

A take this hot would burn down the sun.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hey if you haven't heard any of the Steve Hackett solo material, it's really good stuff. He did a couple of Genesis Revisited albums and there's some really good versions of classic songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbXUKMMTqqo

It feels more like a remix than a rerecording at places, but it's pretty faithful renditions to the old tracks.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
I was very moved by his brief nod to a lesser known later period Genesis number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfO5ilk7hM

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oblivion Sun
Opeth? Just pretend everything after [choose one: MAYH, Blackwater Park, Watershed] never happened.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Incoherence posted:

Opeth? Just pretend everything after [choose one: MAYH, Blackwater Park, Watershed] never happened.

Yeah I really liked Pale Communion but Oblivion Sun is actually good! More people should check 'em out.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

tote up a bags posted:

I got off of the Dream Theater train around BCaSL but I listened to their self-titled a couple times and it seemed pretty good.

Shame about the follow-up.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Just found out Ray Thomas died last weekend. The Moody Blues was one of the first bands I got into, and I always liked Ray Thomas's songs. They always seemed so innocent and old timey. Definitely not what you would expect from even a proto-prog band of that era.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Paladinus posted:

You want a hot take? I love Systematic Chaos and even Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

I can dig that. I (mostly) like both of those albums too. That said, I think the disc of covers in the Black Clouds special edition is better than either.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Incoherence posted:

Watershed is probably my favorite Opeth album. Although I really like Ghost Reveries too. I love it when they bring in the mellotron.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Hey if you haven't heard any of the Steve Hackett solo material, it's really good stuff. He did a couple of Genesis Revisited albums and there's some really good versions of classic songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbXUKMMTqqo

It feels more like a remix than a rerecording at places, but it's pretty faithful renditions to the old tracks.

Steve Hackett puts on an incredible show every time I've seen him.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I wish Porcupine Tree had a different name because they deserve to be on that list but it's not like you can kick Pink Floyd.

A human heart posted:

Pink Floyd should be kicked as far away as possible

Porcupine Tree is basically Pink Floyd 2.0

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Opeth are fantastic live, and Åkerfeldt is a pretty cool dude in general. Imo, they deserve the O. Oblivion Sun I have never even heard of.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

Just found out Ray Thomas died last weekend. The Moody Blues was one of the first bands I got into, and I always liked Ray Thomas's songs. They always seemed so innocent and old timey. Definitely not what you would expect from even a proto-prog band of that era.

That sucks. The Moodies were my first concert as a small person, and Thomas played the poo poo out of it, even as the massive swarm of insects around the stage (in a literal cow pasture in upstate new york in the summer, so every bug in the northeast congregated to the lights) circled around him and even got in his flute once.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Opeth are fantastic live, and Åkerfeldt is a pretty cool dude in general. Imo, they deserve the O. Oblivion Sun I have never even heard of.

You should check them out, especially their first album.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Gianthogweed posted:

Watershed is probably my favorite Opeth album. Although I really like Ghost Reveries too. I love it when they bring in the mellotron.

You might like the Finnish band Perihelion Ship. Opeth worship with lots of Hammonds and moogs and trons. but very well executed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6B3q1wY9L4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

You should check them out, especially their first album.

Just listened to it. It sounded Swedish-ish to me, which I tend to like, but it didn't click with me. It's hard for me to get into instrumentals to begin with, though, and the album is pretty heavy on that.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Porcupine Tree is basically Pink Floyd 2.0

This was true prior to about 2001. They branched out pretty thoroughly after that

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Iucounu posted:

This was true prior to about 2001. They branched out pretty thoroughly after that

Its cool that a band can suck and then go on to sucking in a variety of different and novel ways instead

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

A human heart posted:

Its cool that a band can suck and then go on to sucking in a variety of different and novel ways instead

better than sucking in the same way for years!
Any band will stagnate and get boring if they don't try to keep doing new stuff, imo.
PT is good, by the way.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

hexwren posted:

That sucks. The Moodies were my first concert as a small person, and Thomas played the poo poo out of it, even as the massive swarm of insects around the stage (in a literal cow pasture in upstate new york in the summer, so every bug in the northeast congregated to the lights) circled around him and even got in his flute once.

Haha I bet they never played there again. The Moodies are a great live band. I saw them once at Jones Beach in the late 90s. Every song they played sounded better than it did on the record. I hear they’re finally getting inducted into the R&RHOF. I wonder if Pinder will play with them again. It’s just too bad Thomas didn’t live to attend the induction.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Iucounu posted:

I guess. Thing is I actually prefer their earlier stuff. The Sky Moves Sideways is probably my favorite of their’s. Fear of a blank planet is also quite good though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The thing about newer Opeth is that the songwriting is less focused and more prog for the sake of prog. Now I know you ask "how can 10 minute songs be focused?", but up until Watershed, it felt like each movement in a song was making it's own statement and had some sort of direction.

Also, the pinnacle of Pink Floyd had to be the Wish You Were Here album. Once you start getting into Animals and The Wall, Waters started getting too overpowering in the material and it caused the music to suffer as a result.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

The thing about newer Opeth is that the songwriting is less focused and more prog for the sake of prog. Now I know you ask "how can 10 minute songs be focused?", but up until Watershed, it felt like each movement in a song was making it's own statement and had some sort of direction.

Also, the pinnacle of Pink Floyd had to be the Wish You Were Here album. Once you start getting into Animals and The Wall, Waters started getting too overpowering in the material and it caused the music to suffer as a result.

Animals is their best album, fool

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Maybe I just prefer Gilmour over Waters on vocals.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Maybe I just prefer Gilmour over Waters on vocals.

Gilmour is a far better vocalist. But I do like that they all shared lead vocals. I generally prefer bands that have multiple leads, even if it's clear that one lead vocal is far better than the others. The variation is nice to hear. This is one of the reasons I liked The Moody Blues too. Hayward is clearly the true vocal talent (and is a pretty awesome guitarist to boot), but I'm glad that they all had their moments on each of the "classic" albums. That being said, I think I would have preferred a bit more Gilmour and less Waters on Animals, and it would have been nice if Wright had a moment or two. His ghostly voice was always cool to hear. Also, as much as I like Animals, it does drag a bit here and there. WYWH also had long songs, but I never left like it dragged.

Hawklad posted:

You might like the Finnish band Perihelion Ship. Opeth worship with lots of Hammonds and moogs and trons. but very well executed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6B3q1wY9L4

Listening to this now. Pretty drat cool.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 15, 2018

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

I generally prefer bands that have multiple leads

nooooo...

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Animals is their best album, fool

This is the correct answer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the other hand, the Beach Boys. Through Holland, they had at least eight different folks sing lead vocals on an entire song, seven of which could actually sing. Then Brian and Dennis tore up their voices with cigarettes/drugs.

I dunno.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

On the other hand, the Beach Boys. Through Holland, they had at least eight different folks sing lead vocals on an entire song, seven of which could actually sing. Then Brian and Dennis tore up their voices with cigarettes/drugs.

I dunno.

And The Beatles. It was pretty clear McCartney had the strongest voice followed closely by Lennon and Harrison with good old Ringo in distant fourth. But I'm glad they all had lead parts in their songs. Even Ringo. Too much of the same sound gets boring to me. I like diversity in my music.

Point taken, but Kiss just sucks and it wasn't necessarily their voices that ruined it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Vargatron posted:

I don't know what I would call what Opeth are doing now. The one song I heard from Sorceress sounded like Dethklok.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vulture Culture posted:

Acid Rain was a cool song but I can't actually remember a single other thing they've done

Acid Rain rules. Paradigm Shift is the other LTE song I'm unlikely to forget.

I was surprised when Petrucci put out his solo album. It's waaayyy less wanky than I would've thought - to the point where a few of the songs would be easily within the grasp of hobbyist guitar players. I liked them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

I don't know what I would call what Opeth are doing now.

"Bad"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

I don't know what I would call what Opeth are doing now. The one song I heard from Sorceress sounded like Dethklok.

I have no idea which song that could be considering it’s a metallish prog rock album and IIRC Mikael never growls on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What could be more prog than playing a Yes song on retro computer parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmFuK-tdRpk