Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

OxySnake posted:

On that note what is everyone's favorite books? I love myself myself some Catch 22, and really almost anything by Palahniuk / Vonnegut.

Catch-22 is my all time favorite book. Before I joined the military I loved it for it's absurdism and afterwards I became convinced half the poo poo in that book happened but no one believed him.

Outside of that probably Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Slaughterhouse 5, Brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina. I love satire and Russian novels apparently. Oh also Wind-up Bird Chronicle, that book blew my loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

piss tape israel posted:

In hindsight I really loving hated Honors English

Same. The books wouldn't have been so bad but for some reason in my district English was elevated to this plateau and was the only class to force summer homework. Every year, you had to read 2-3 books, write essays and fill out some 100-question thing. I used to love reading and 4 years of that just killed it for me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My favorite books are Midnight’s Children, The Andromeda Strain, and a few others I can’t remember

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I remember reading the Outsiders and liking it, but I don't remember a single thing about it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I took only 2 AP classes, composition and US History. I was... woefully unprepared for US History. I could read the amount needed, retain said amount and apply said amount.

I kind of want to take that class again knowing what I know now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Stand is still my all time favorite book. I think I've read it 16-17 times and is probably the reason I like reading apocalyptic fiction.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

My AP US History class was right when the 2003 Iraq war started.

Fun year

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Silly Burrito posted:

The Stand is still my all time favorite book. I think I've read it 16-17 times and is probably the reason I like reading apocalyptic fiction.

What version do you recommend

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Catch-22 is my all time favorite book. Before I joined the military I loved it for it's absurdism and afterwards I became convinced half the poo poo in that book happened but no one believed him.

Outside of that probably Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Slaughterhouse 5, Brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina. I love satire and Russian novels apparently. Oh also Wind-up Bird Chronicle, that book blew my loving mind.

Catch-22 is so interesting because it's absolutely hilarious and at the same time is arguably one of the darkest books ever written. You're laughing and joking about how silly and funny something is and then a bit later you see the same story and oops some guy accidentally cut someone in half with his plane's propellers and then he intentionally crashes his plane to kill himself. Hahaha isn't that so zany??? And then you hate yourself for having found it funny.

I dunno how Heller figured out to gently caress with the reader like that but it's an incredible experience.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Fun year

So was mine. But my teacher didn't talk about modern stuff at all. It was weird.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

I took only 2 AP classes, composition and US History. I was... woefully unprepared for US History. I could read the amount needed, retain said amount and apply said amount.

I kind of want to take that class again knowing what I know now.

My high school didn't offer many AP courses, but I took the AP World History test when my only non-American based history course was one year of medieval european history.

Aced it, thank you childhood years of Carmen Sandiego :smugdog:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Catch-22 is my all time favorite book.

Outside of that probably Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Slaughterhouse 5...

:yeah:

Also Player Piano, Last Chance to See, Wuthering Heights and I remember loving the Trial, but it's been a very long time since I read that and maybe I was just a punk rear end Brazil loving kid at the time. (I still am)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What version do you recommend

I've only ever read the expanded one. Don't know why I never picked up the first one, but :shrug:.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Fun year

My AP US History class was split into 2 years and managed to somehow skip all of US history from Reconstruction until Teddy Roosevelt. You would think with that we would then get to cover everything in more detail, but nope, we stopped right after Watergate and my teacher the second year was so clueless about actual history that me and one of my friends who knew a bunch about this stuff due to being politics nerds were nearly teaching the class near the end.

That class was so bad.

Thankfully my AP European History class was loving incredible and I learned a whole lot. I'm just sad they didn't start doing AP World History until after I graduated. I know very little about African/Latin American/Middle Eastern/Indian history because of it. East Asian history I'm ok on because I took it as a course in college though.

And then senior year I took AP Econ and that uh, ended up working out real well for me as it made me decide to major in Econ (and then eventually add a Math major just because I had already taken so many math courses).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

One time my mom gave me money to get a book at the school book fair and I bought a Lamborghini Countach poster instead.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

I remember reading the Outsiders and liking it, but I don't remember a single thing about it

Stay gold SA2K.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a neat cape posted:

Fun year

My first semester of college was in fall 2001. I thought about doing Poli Sci as a major, and was taking International Relations. Our teacher literally ripped up the syllabus once classes restarted after 9/11.

I took IB English which I liked because it included books that weren't US/British authors only. Off the top of my head, we read Scarlet Letter and a couple Hawthorne short stories, 100 Years of Solitude, The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea, Dune (I chose that out of a list of like 25 other books), and a couple Ibsen plays. Then senior year was Handmaid's Tale and some Atwood poetry, some Frost poems, The Sun Also Rises, Song of Solomon, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Heart of Darkness, and a few other short form readings.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I bought nfl books all the time at the scholastic book fairs. I had a neat book that had the biographies of Aikman Kosar Moon and Young condensed into a little kids book and I read it like 400 times

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol this brings back memories share if you remember 90's book fairs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

↑↑↑↑ those ruled

Catch-22 is a great band

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Fun year

my one memory is we were doing something well after school and someone in the class came in and said chris farley died

we weren't surprised

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I lived in the UK for three years, age 13-16, and then came back to finish high school. So my history consisted of elementary school curriculum, seventh grade history, and then three years of whatever they do the last three years of middle school in the UK, which turned out to be a lot of coverage of WWI, and then the last two years of high school which I did honors history I think. So basically even more piecemeal and weird than the normally piecemeal and disorganized way Americans are taught history.

As for my favorite books, I really struggle with that. I loved the discworld books by terry pratchett, but I'm not saying they're the best books ever or anything, they're probably not "literature," but they resonate with me. I also enjoy Gibson, and always enjoy his books, but also usually find them to be flawed. I read tons and tons of C.J. Cherryh in my teens and twenties, but nowadays I probably would re-read them and maybe not like them as much? I dunno. There were a lot of books that had a strong influence on me like Dune, but I wouldn't go back and re-read Dune again so... if that's the criteria then I guess it fails. I re-read the hobbit and LotR every ten to fifteen years, so maybe that counts.

Hmm. Do comic books count? Transmetropolitan is probably my favorite "literary work" I read in the last 15 years.

I've slowed way down. I probably only read three or four novels a year now, interleaved with nonfiction. My days of consuming multiple novels a week ended when I stopped taking public transportation every day.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

Fun year

I literally watched coverage of 9/11/2001 from my APUSH classroom lmao

edit:

Ehud posted:

Those were good but

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 12, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Hell yeah.

Movie novelizations were the hidden gold at those things.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The First Law series is prolly my favorite books in recent memory

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Lol.

I had world history 1st period as a sophomore.

We didn't do much that day

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I sat up in bed, turned the TV on and after about 30 seconds saw the 2nd plane hit Live.

I threw something at my roommate and yelled "classes cancelled", then tried to call the people I knew who lived in New York to see if they were okay and the phone lines were already hosed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ehud posted:

Did those in the 80s. Bookmobile, too. I was generally reading around six grades above my grade, so by the time I was like 13 they were terrible because I was no longer interested in large format hardback kids' books. I was like, where's your azimov section, or do you have any conan books, and they'd be like... oh, hmm, welp :shrug:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
God, dude...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Did those in the 80s. Bookmobile, too. I was generally reading around six grades above my grade, so by the time I was like 13 they were terrible because I was no longer interested in large format hardback kids' books. I was like, where's your azimov section, or do you have any conan books, and they'd be like... oh, hmm, welp :shrug:

By that point I had found the sci/fi & fantasy and fiction sections of the library, so paying for books was an extinct concept...

Now comic books, I bought tons of that poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't imagine being so bored I'd read any book by a football player.

Or coach or gm or agent or sports talk goober.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The day 9/11 happened, I went to a college career fair and only one of my classes was canceled.

Engineering schools :rolleye:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

By that point I had found the sci/fi & fantasy and fiction sections of the library, so paying for books was an extinct concept...

Now comic books, I bought tons of that poo poo.

Yeah.

I think the saving grace of the bookmobile/book fairs was that they'd have humor books, like calvin & hobbes. I probably read a fair number of extremely terrible Garfield books from those things.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah.

I think the saving grace of the bookmobile/book fairs was that they'd have humor books, like calvin & hobbes. I probably read a fair number of extremely terrible Garfield books from those things.

I read a lot of Garfield at 80s book fairs when I was a kid, too. I'm not sure what age I was when I realized it was garbage but I jumped from Garfield to Calvin and Hobbes to Bloom County pretty quick if I remember right.

Also shout out to Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh man scholastic book fairs were the loving jam

i remember getting a lisa frank dolphin diary because i was really into dolphins. my grandparents got it for me.

my dad was like "Wtf"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah.

My father had every bloom county and doonsbury book, so I devoured all of them as a kid which had no overarching effect on my knowledge of the world beyond an encyclopedic knowledge of how to make fun of people like Ed Koch, and an utter loathing of Donald Trump when I was like 10.

2016 was very confusing to me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

axeil posted:

Catch-22 is so interesting because it's absolutely hilarious and at the same time is arguably one of the darkest books ever written. You're laughing and joking about how silly and funny something is and then a bit later you see the same story and oops some guy accidentally cut someone in half with his plane's propellers and then he intentionally crashes his plane to kill himself. Hahaha isn't that so zany??? And then you hate yourself for having found it funny.

I dunno how Heller figured out to gently caress with the reader like that but it's an incredible experience.

Agreed. There are so many zany and wildly depressing characters in that book that sit on that razors edge between comedy and depression. There's a character who's terrified he's going to get shot down so he decides to slow down time by doing incredibly dull things, that way he can live 30 years in 30 hours.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Catch-22 is a great band

Also true

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

:hfive: the second Judy Blume book I ever read (first was Freckle Juice)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

I read a lot of Garfield at 80s book fairs when I was a kid, too. I'm not sure what age I was when I realized it was garbage but I jumped from Garfield to Calvin and Hobbes to Bloom County pretty quick if I remember right.

That sounds about right, yeah. I was reading the funnies in the daily and sunday paper, so I was generally up on bloom county, doonesbury, etc. At some point I completed my Calvin & Hobbes collection, which I still have: as far as I know, every C&H ever printed, including the full color sunday with the optional sometimes-cut-out header portion included (which is in the Lazy Sunday book). You also have to include the Essential Calvin and Hobbes book because it has a handful of strips not printed elsewhere, IIRC.

Anyway yeah doonsebury in the 80s had a lot of commentary about post-veitnam politics and reagan etc. and I remember it being my main source of info about that stuff, which was probably terrible but whatever. I'm sure a ton of it still went over my head.

Oh god, I just remembered The Far Side. Yeah. Devoured everything Gary Larson. I was really upset when he retired and then C&H ended not long after.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

:yeah:

Also Player Piano, Last Chance to See, Wuthering Heights and I remember loving the Trial, but it's been a very long time since I read that and maybe I was just a punk rear end Brazil loving kid at the time. (I still am)

I have a pet theory that reading great satire in your formative years really primes you to love leftist politics. I'm waiting for the day that theory gets destroyed when some poo poo head like Ted Cruz talks about loving Vonnegut with zero self-awareness like Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway yeah doonsebury in the 80s had a lot of commentary about post-veitnam politics and reagan etc. and I remember it being my main source of info about that stuff, which was probably terrible but whatever. I'm sure a ton of it still went over my head.

I think it's mostly fine, virtually all kids media stole famous plots wholesale for stories, and it's a great way to get kids interested in those stories.

How many kids thought Macbeth might be cool because he flew around on a hoverbike being a frienemy of the Gargoyles?

Alternatively you just end up as Family Guy. :shrug: