Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I have a pet theory that reading great satire in your formative years really primes you to love leftist politics. I'm waiting for the day that theory gets destroyed when some poo poo head like Ted Cruz talks about loving Vonnegut with zero self-awareness like Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine.

I was blown away when a few years ago I found out basically all of Steely Dan's music is intentionally subversive. I think a ton of that kind of messaging especially in music passes right over most people's heads, and I definitely include myself in that, I'm not immune at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I loving loved book fairs. I also loved the little catalogues we'd get during the year and we'd bring them back with our money and a few weeks later at the start of class our orders would be waiting for us on our desks

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The best part of the book fair was sitting around and mooching off the one kid who actually splashed some cash to buy a copy of that year's Guinness Book of World Records

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Leperflesh posted:

I was blown away when a few years ago I found out basically all of Steely Dan's music is intentionally subversive. I think a ton of that kind of messaging especially in music passes right over most people's heads, and I definitely include myself in that, I'm not immune at all.

I think this is easier to do with music than it is with literature though. That said the band Paul Ryan didn't understand is literally called Rage Against the Machine, it's not exactly subtle.

Speaking of satire, I loved this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2018/01/12/the-day-donald-trump-first-became-a-stable-genius/?utm_term=.e280b850a536

quote:

Had the people around him always been so … distinctly underwhelming? Trump wondered. He went to the window and looked down. There were several protesters with signs that contained obvious solecisms. This was a word he understood now.

At least he had Steve Bannon, who was definitely an intellectual. Or he always looked rumpled, which seemed like much the same thing.

“Send in Steve,” he said.

Bannon came in, and Trump was excited to finally be sitting there, head to head, with a fellow genius.

But when Bannon opened his mouth, none of the things that came out made any sense.

“Steve,” Trump said, “talk like you usually talk.”

“I am,” Bannon said.

Trump blinked repeatedly. “No,” he said. “Usually you sound smart, and now you sound like someone dumped out the contents of some rejected Wikipedia pages onto the floor at random. Speak like Thomas Cromwell, although, ha ha, before the beheading.”

“Thomas Cromwell was beheaded?” Bannon asked.

Trump blinked levelly at him, and soon Bannon thought up a reason to go away.

Trump looked over his speeches again.

“Have they always been so … racist?” he asked, quietly.

“What?” Steve Miller said.

Jared Kushner pushed the door open.

“I am going to solve the conflict in the Middle East,” he said.

Trump sighed loudly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this is easier to do with music than it is with literature though. That said the band Paul Ryan didn't understand is literally called Rage Against the Machine, it's not exactly subtle.

I listened to a fair amount of Rage before I bothered to understand it, and was subsequently mildly embarrassed to be a white fan of RatM, understanding that I and in particular my parents were unquestionably part of the Machine.

That said, I figured this out at the age of 20 or 25 or something, and I was never conservative, much less a hardcore libertarian jackass like Ryan.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I listened to a fair amount of Rage before I bothered to understand it, and was subsequently mildly embarrassed to be a white fan of RatM, understanding that I and in particular my parents were unquestionably part of the Machine.

That said, I figured this out at the age of 20 or 25 or something, and I was never conservative, much less a hardcore libertarian jackass like Ryan.

Just as an absolute baseline, if you're a politician in a position of power within the Republican party you can't talk about how much you love punk bands or anything called Rage Against the Machine. I'm not even concerned about the nuances of what they sing about, just purely on the surface it's absurd.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are there any conservative punk bands? They must be awful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

swickles posted:

While the attending has final say, the resident does make a lot of the decision making, especially if he is in his 4th or 5th year.

Way back but I saw an actual surgeon and got some hyaluronate injections in both knees and a referral for a scope on my hip because I might have some avascular necrosis on the top of my femur!

I was only waiting for two hours because one of the nurses put all the charts in the absent doctor's office. When I went outside and loudly mused "hey I've been waiting for 2 hours here" they figured it out and the doc had just been sitting in his office wondering where the hell his patients for the day where at.

the doc also thinks my random knee buckling is actually the result of the massive bulging disc between my l4-l5 more than any mechanical problem with my knee.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Skrewdriver and associated neonazi stuff is what you're looking at.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When I think punk bands I don't think of a political party. I don't see punk bands as being mostly liberal. Punk bands are supposed to be anarchist.

RATM played a free show during the democratic national convention to protest the two party system and said that our democracy had been hijacked and we should "protest these motherfuckers" lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just as an absolute baseline, if you're a politician in a position of power within the Republican party you can't talk about how much you love punk bands or anything called Rage Against the Machine. I'm not even concerned about the nuances of what they sing about, just purely on the surface it's absurd.

Libertarians genuinely believe themselves to be outsiders who are trying to tear down the unjust terribleness of Government. I'm sure Ryan thinks the Machine is like, Medicare or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

When I think punk bands I don't think of a political party. I don't see punk bands as being mostly liberal. Punk bands are supposed to be anarchist.

RATM played a free show during the democratic national convention to protest the two party system and said that our democracy had been hijacked and we should "protest these motherfuckers" lol

Yeah, punk is predominantly anarchist, and ties in with a lot of far left groups because of that, but the idea of a liberal punk band is :lol:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the Ramones was an arch-conservative

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

OxySnake posted:

On that note what is everyone's favorite books? I love myself myself some Catch 22, and really almost anything by Palahniuk / Vonnegut.

Dune is my go-to whenever this question is asked, I've read it four or five times and always get something new out of it. Those weird pre-chapter musings on history and politics hit a lot closer to home in our current political climate.

James Clavell's Shogun is also one of my favorites but it's dense as gently caress, so be warned.

VV sup :respek:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^my fuckin man

I had a time trying to figure out Fugazi's political leanings. It's difficult to wrap your head around straight edge liberals. Fugazi rules.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Libertarians genuinely believe themselves to be outsiders who are trying to tear down the unjust terribleness of Government. I'm sure Ryan thinks the Machine is like, Medicare or something.

:lol: This is sad and probably true. Gonna tear down the evil machine giving poor people and old people healthcare.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I love satire and Russian novels apparently. Oh also Wind-up Bird Chronicle, that book blew my loving mind.

Also same. I have read most of Murakami's books, but I have had trouble getting into his last two. Also Brothers Karamazov owns.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dude where the Red Fern Grows has the dogs that get killed after saving the kid. It's loving depressing. Not Flowers for Algernon depressing but still.

Also, those Pern dragon books were my poo poo, it's nice to know someone else read them.

The kid has two dogs from the same litter, a brother and sister. The brother saves the kid from a mountain lion but is mortally wounded in the process. The sister becomes depressed, refuses to eat, and also dies

gently caress that book :cry:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Yeah, punk is predominantly anarchist, and ties in with a lot of far left groups because of that, but the idea of a liberal punk band is :lol:

I'm shocked people don't recall the famous NOFX song "More Government"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There was a time in my life when I would have answered the question "what is your favorite novel" with a Star Wars title.

Now they're just my second favorite.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

OxySnake posted:

Also same. I have read most of Murakami's books, but I have had trouble getting into his last two. Also Brothers Karamazov owns.

:hfive:

Oh yea, I haven't read any Murakami past Kafka on the Shore which was quite good. My favorite thing about Brother's Karamazov in the modern era is how often politicians say that they're currently reading it during interviews. How was that the book the political machines landed on?

Intruder posted:

The kid has two dogs from the same litter, a brother and sister. The brother saves the kid from a mountain lion but is mortally wounded in the process. The sister becomes depressed, refuses to eat, and also dies

gently caress that book :cry:

It's a brutal ending. Oddly, most of the saddest things I've ever read were when I was in middle school/high school. I've either become too cynical as I age or they push all the brutally hosed up stuff on kids.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 13, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

One of the Ramones was an arch-conservative

Johnny. Total dick too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:lol: This is sad and probably true. Gonna tear down the evil machine giving poor people and old people healthcare.

it's bad for them, you see, because people with multiple sclerosis or dementia should bootstrap themselves and/or have been wiser about how they invested their first million dollars they got from their parents

It can be shocking to come face to face with this sort of argument earnestly and honestly put forward by someone you previously respected, but it's happened to me at least three times, between a few friends and a family member. People earnestly insisting that a social safety net destroys the people it's supposed to help because only the harsh lessons of deprivation can teach people to be self-sufficient.

A lot of these people don't recognize that their ideology is also racist, so they see no inconsistency when they proudly enjoy hip hop or something.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

:hfive:

Oh yea, I haven't read any Murakami past Kafka on the Shore which was quite good. My favorite thing about Brother's Karamazov in the modern era is how often politicians say that they're currently reading it during interviews. How was that the book the political machines landed on?

It's a brutal ending. Oddly, most of the saddest things I've ever read were when I was in middle school/high school. I've either become too cynical as I age or they push all the brutally hosed up stuff on kids.

Seems like an odd one considering the conservative ethos is Ayn Rand, and I would imagine Tolstoy would be a better fit for liberals.

Maybe because it is a long book that they think most people haven't read so it sounds deep?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I loving loved book fairs. I also loved the little catalogues we'd get during the year and we'd bring them back with our money and a few weeks later at the start of class our orders would be waiting for us on our desks

This right here.

Being a little kid and excited about reading owned

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

it's bad for them, you see, because people with multiple sclerosis or dementia should bootstrap themselves and/or have been wiser about how they invested their first million dollars they got from their parents

It can be shocking to come face to face with this sort of argument earnestly and honestly put forward by someone you previously respected, but it's happened to me at least three times, between a few friends and a family member. People earnestly insisting that a social safety net destroys the people it's supposed to help because only the harsh lessons of deprivation can teach people to be self-sufficient.

A lot of these people don't recognize that their ideology is also racist, so they see no inconsistency when they proudly enjoy hip hop or something.

Yea I've known a bunch of people like this, and they're always fun to gently caress with because libertarianism is so poorly thought out but all its adherents think they're brilliant intellectuals. Of course I've also never once met one who wasn't a middle class, healthy white dude who fancies themselves a reader having only really read Fountainhead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

OxySnake posted:

Hard Boiled Wonderland is probably still my favorite of his, perhaps because it was the first I read. I read Karamazov in high school and really enjoyed it, but I’m not sure I’d ever read it again. I *do* need to reread Master and Margarita.

Favorite books:
Catch-22
Gravity’s Rainbow
The Moor’s Last Sigh
Mysteries of Pittsburgh
Foucault’s Pendulum
Player Piano

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fun Fact: nobody in the world has ever actually read Gravity's Rainbow

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“OxySnake”" post="“480219459”"]
and I would imagine Tolstoy would be a better fit for liberals.
[/quote]

It’s because Karamazov is a big book about ideas, but also because it’s fundamentally an emotional argument against materialism and conservatives view themselves as defenders of faith and goodness against the crusading hordes of secular materialism.

That they are also unabashedly the party devoted wholly to the desires of the wealthy causes no apparent dissonance.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

[quote="“Alaois”" post="“480219750”"]
Fun Fact: nobody in the world has ever actually read Gravity’s Rainbow
[/quote]

The best part is when the double agent who domme’s the British officer shits in his mouth.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s because Karamazov is a big book about ideas, but also because it’s fundamentally an emotional argument against materialism and conservatives view themselves as defenders of faith and goodness against the crusading hordes of secular materialism.

That they are also unabashedly the party devoted wholly to the desires of the wealthy causes no apparent dissonance.

Want to frame this perfect post

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

OxySnake posted:

On that note what is everyone's favorite books? I love myself myself some Catch 22, and really almost anything by Palahniuk / Vonnegut.

Dune, specifically God Emperor or Confederacy of Dunces. I knew some Ignatius types and haven't laughed at a book like that before or after.

On the Dune note, I wonder is this is some retarded form of Trump's Peace to make us change our ways/long for the civility we used to have.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I had a grad school interview today at Elon in NC.

Part of it was going over the curriculum.

I remember them talking about history and examination where you misspell your own name

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/951966145803845632

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Silly Burrito posted:

I've only ever read the expanded one. Don't know why I never picked up the first one, but :shrug:.

Read the original (abridged; unexpanded). So much tighter and shows what an editor can do.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Even in high school when I was forced to read Anthem, I knew it was bullshit and was kinda horrified the entire time I read it.

Of course, I can't brag too much because I was reading the Economist and it was secretly poisoning my high school brain.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i made scallops. i had 1 1/2 lbs so i did em in 2 batches, the first came out great and the second picked up too much of the burned on crap from the last one so they aren't golden brown pretty. they taste great though. made some spaghetti and tossed it in butter that i cooked some garlic in, and some frozen peas in a steamer bag

Mr. Nice! posted:

Way back but I saw an actual surgeon and got some hyaluronate injections in both knees and a referral for a scope on my hip because I might have some avascular necrosis on the top of my femur!

I was only waiting for two hours because one of the nurses put all the charts in the absent doctor's office. When I went outside and loudly mused "hey I've been waiting for 2 hours here" they figured it out and the doc had just been sitting in his office wondering where the hell his patients for the day where at.

the doc also thinks my random knee buckling is actually the result of the massive bulging disc between my l4-l5 more than any mechanical problem with my knee.

nhl goalies have this or some other problem with their hips because apparently that joint doesn't get great bloodflow

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Even in high school when I was forced to read Anthem, I knew it was bullshit and was kinda horrified the entire time I read it.

Of course, I can't brag too much because I was reading the Economist and it was secretly poisoning my high school brain.

One of the many wild stories of the past two years is the Economist arguing to raise taxes on the rich and generally becoming much more left as they're forced to face the reality of a lot of the dumber policies they've promoted over the years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hell yeah. Two hours after I should've left work and I finally finished that self eval. Thank you for the endless distraction book chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my experience with the book fairs was buying the erasers that were like clay and the stacking pencils