Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I always thought that the Occampi should be somewhat more insectoid, like the Andorians.
Being an insectoid species, a 9 year life span would be more acceptable, as well solve the birth rate issue. Since they would produce multiples, instead of the 1:1 that the episodes imply.
Plus, and I dont remember if this is ever inferred or not, but a species with such short life span would have to have an amount of genetic memory.

less than a year old and already know who you are, what you're doing, your place and purpose in society and all that? Very insect culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Yeah but a bug don't got no sex appeal in a unitard, plus think of the makeup budget!"
- the studio guys, probably.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Star Trek Voyager is being attacked by GHOSTS!!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

2spooky4me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

numberoneposter posted:

But the Captain is a woman and we know how bad they are at busting ghosts!

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
BSG > Voyager.

Also, I didn't mind the end of BSG.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

BSG > Voyager.

Also, I didn't mind the end of BSG.

You know what? I'm gonna make a bold claim here...

SG:U > BSG > Voyager

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
SGU got a little better towards it's end but the rest of it sucked so goddamn hard it didn't really matter

it had the now familiar problem of the showrunners badly misjudging why anybody ever became invested in their franchise, only their franchise hadn't been around long enough or gotten big enough to support a crappy project like that for any longer than it did

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I enjoyed Star Gate Atlantis more than Farscape but less than Lexx or Babylon 5

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SG1 and Atlantis are just some great fun TV. Just the right balance of serialization, comedy, and science fiction.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Writers wanted to explore a character that had a shorter life span in contrast to the crew. The reverse of what's usually done in science fiction with "short lived" human lives. The whole Kes age inappropriateness thing is over rated.

numberoneposter posted:

Neelix is the Sex Chef.

Until you take this into account.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

SG1 and Atlantis are just some great fun TV. Just the right balance of serialization, comedy, and science fiction.

Also the luscious nature of Vancouver Planet #214

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sometimes it's sandy quarry planet!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DS9, Farscape, TNG......................................... > everything else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

My favorite is still BSG finding Kobol, ancient birthplace of humanity, and then showing us $100 of plaster ruins and 6 weeks of Vancouver forest

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one bats an eye at humanoid aliens the galaxy over, but show them one too many temperate rainforests and they lose their minds! Maybe the temperate rainforest is simply the ultimate biome that any sufficiently advanced biosphere eventually evolves towards??!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe I just notice it in BSG more since the interior sets are so solid (even if they still suffer from redress fatigue). The second anyone steps outside or onto Cloud 9, it’s a big “oh that’s right, this is a SyFy show filming in Vancouver” reminder.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe I just notice it in BSG more since the interior sets are so solid (even if they still suffer from redress fatigue). The second anyone steps outside or onto Cloud 9, it’s a big “oh that’s right, this is a SyFy show filming in Vancouver” reminder.

They filmed a couple spaceship interiors on the car decks of ferries I know very well so that was a bit funny too. I kept waiting for the canned announcements telling people not to start their cars until after the ship has docked.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

No one bats an eye at humanoid aliens the galaxy over, but show them one too many temperate rainforests and they lose their minds! Maybe the temperate rainforest is simply the ultimate biome that any sufficiently advanced biosphere eventually evolves towards??!
I always half except to see some fuckin sick mountain bikers doing some sweet hucks in the background.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still maintain that Sarek is a sex weird and probable child molester because he dates and marries human women who are just barely in their 30s.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

counterfeitsaint posted:

I still maintain that Sarek is a sex weird and probable child molester because he dates and marries human women who are just barely in their 30s.

Sex weirds?!? In MY Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek?!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Every trek species has weird dongs right? Ferengi with the barbs, klingon with the ridges, vulcans get what? What's the most logical penis possible.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Star Trek: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Automatic Slim posted:

Writers wanted to explore a character that had a shorter life span in contrast to the crew. The reverse of what's usually done in science fiction with "short lived" human lives. The whole Kes age inappropriateness thing is over rated.

Yeah, they wanted to make a character grow up and grow old within the run of the series. It just didn't work out, instead of getting visibly older, her hair just got longer.

Imagine if she'd gone from this to that during the show:

Hmm, still not very old looking, anything more recent than 2010?

No, that's not quite right.

What?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/15/entertainment/star-trek-arrest-jennifer-lien-feat/index.html

quote:

(CNN)An actress best known for "Star Trek: Voyager" was arrested on September 3.

Jennifer Lien, who played Kes in the first few seasons of the "Star Trek" spinoff series, has been charged with indecent exposure.
According to CNN affiliate WATE, Lien was arrested in her home in Harriman, Tennessee.
Neighbor Carey Smith told WATE that Lien came by her home to comment on how Smith's children were being raised and started using vulgar language.
"All of a sudden, here come the shirt up," said Smith.
"She started flashing and, 'Woo hoo,' and I said, 'And what respect is that for kids?' There was none. And then she turned around and dropped her pants."

According to the affiliate, Lien was found naked on her couch by deputies and resisted walking to the patrol car after threatening to kill the officers.
Lien was clothed and carried out to the car.
The actress' character on "Voyager" was Kes, an alien from a mentally advanced race with only a nine-year lifespan. The series aired from 1995 to 2001 for seven seasons.
The Harriman Police Department also said that Lien has a record that includes aggravated assault, domestic assault, resisting arrest, evading arrest and reckless endangerment.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Please post more 1990's Canadian MacGuyver ripoffs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Animal-Mother posted:

Please post more 1990's Canadian MacGuyver ripoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdfNRlZnij0

We have an unlimited supply of these. Careful what you ask for.

naem
May 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

There was one year of college where my laundromat somehow always had sg1 playing, in the late 2000's.

you never had to worry about the plot because every episode was the same. Lots of pine trees and at some point McGyver yells LOOK OUT and everyone does a freeze frame jump before a commercial

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Call me old fashioned but to me Stargate will always be a feature film where Snake Plisskin's character arc is overcoming his suicidal depression over his son's tragic gun accident death by training and equipping a child army.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

No, it really isn't. The show goes out of its to infer just how immature she is by her own species standards. Especially when she shows up in Fury at the ripe old age of six and looks sixty. Or that the normal age to have kids is about three or four. All you gotta do is divide by ten compared to a normal lifespan.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mycomancy posted:

You know what? I'm gonna make a bold claim here...

SG:U > BSG > Voyager

Where does Seaquest DSV fit in?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The General posted:

Where does Seaquest DSV fit in?

Off the edge of the thread and into FYAD.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright guys I am going to start watching Discovery now, nipple clamps and all

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

shovelbum posted:

Alright guys I am going to start watching Discovery now, nipple clamps and all

Why would you watch any show other than earlydays Babylon5?

Mismatched leathers? Oakleys? Curly antenna space walkie-talkies?

Sci-fi perfection.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

Why would you watch any show other than earlydays Babylon5?

Mismatched leathers? Oakleys? Curly antenna space walkie-talkies?

Sci-fi perfection.

I'm sorry I watched that in one continuous malt liquor bender in college... To think of my beautiful liver inflamed

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just starting Disco, this stuff about Klingons being rare and Vulcans hiding stuff from the Federation is all very Enterprise and doesn't make a ton of sense while Pike is out there lasering foam rocks.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it really isn't. The show goes out of its to infer just how immature she is by her own species standards. Especially when she shows up in Fury at the ripe old age of six and looks sixty. Or that the normal age to have kids is about three or four. All you gotta do is divide by ten compared to a normal lifespan.

Fury never made sense because they suggested in the beginning of season four she effectively had ascended to another plane of existence.
Oh and whichever Trek, idiots love to watch on Netflix?

Also just finished TNG in it's entirely, even watched Geneis and Masks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

no they jumped to the mirror universe, from the prime universe.

it's the same poo poo people and moody lighting, but with more gold crap on the uniforms

I'm still holding out hope that they jumped from a third, crappy, edgy universe into the mirror universe and will jump out into the "prime" universe where all the sets are in technicolor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally finished my rewatch of Farscape and it actually holds up a lot better than I remembered some of it. I could've sworn there were more trainwreck-terrible Talyn episodes in the third season aside from Meltdown, but the others are pretty watchable at the very least. The fourth season's pretty drat solid all the way through too, aside from John Quixote.

Even a few of the deliberately-weird episodes can be great when there's an underlying point to them. Unrealized Reality leads into both the Earth and Katratzi story arcs with an instructive lesson on the dangers of multiverse travel, and even Won't Get Fooled Again in the second season has a coherent thread of logic to its madness to keep it entertaining. Along with introducing Harvey the Invisible Rabbit Scorpius :allears:

Scorpius is also one of my favourite villains just for being so drat pragmatic. Perfectly capable of honoring a bargain or arrangement as long as it suits his needs, but beyond that... he tidies up his loose ends quite efficiently. He doesn't get as much opportunity to be truly villainous in the last season, but his early appearances as a recurring threat as just delightfully menacing :allears:.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Fury never made sense because they suggested in the beginning of season four she effectively had ascended to another plane of existence.
Oh and whichever Trek, idiots love to watch on Netflix?

Also just finished TNG in it's entirely, even watched Geneis and Masks.
people watch the voyager ending episodes because no one, even a lot of trek fans, actually ever watched the show. so they all want to just see how it finally ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

people watch the voyager ending episodes because no one, even a lot of trek fans, actually ever watched the show. so they all want to just see how it finally ends.

You know that, I know that, we as a whole know that. But some C-tard executive will look at that list and, without a blink of an eye, decide that viewers really like the Borg and long-form stories. They will then make Star Trek: Borgs, which is just a pair of swearing cybernetic tits roaming the Zeta Quadrant.