Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Jimbot posted:

2.0 can drag in the middle but I'd never recommend to anyone to get a skip pot. The game does a really good job of easing you into all the mechanics as you level up for the game itself and your jobs, despite me thinking some classes get certain abilities later than they should.

I wouldn't recommend buying a skip pot for 2.0, but I bought one for the 2.x quests after 2.0 to get to heavensward and no regrets. Watched the cutscenes on YouTube to get caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cephas posted:

I was dreading the 2.x patches when I first heard about them, but by the time the Rising Stones stuff settles in, the story and writing become way more engaging.

2.0 is "hey, this is the world and this is you, the warrior of light".

2.x is the dev team finding their footing, and to slot this into a pro/con thing...
Pro: the story is real good
Con: it's delivered via 5 step quests of "talk to this guy to get the mcguffin" teleporting over the entire realm

It's a slog, and you can get burnt out just mainlining MSQ after MSQ; however, I wouldn't call it punishing or anything of the sort.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
Just do what I did: Skip every cutscene in the game because its a Final Fantasy game and they have never had good stories.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jandipoo posted:

Just do what I did: Skip every cutscene in the game because its a Final Fantasy game and they have never had good stories.

No fiction has ever had a good story tho. The bar is low.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

90% of my enjoyment of this game's cutscenes comes from watching my character act it out in the most ridiculous outfit I can wear.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jandipoo posted:

Why even bother with this franchise, then...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally everything is terrible.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sade posted:

The actual...game..part..of the video game?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sade posted:

Because it also has good raiding and you can make your numbers bigger and the fashion is pretty good at times. Weird people enjoy different things. And

Saint Freak posted:

The actual...game..part..of the video game?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Damnit, Brainamp! Getting my hopes up.

I thought that was a repost from a devblog or something, I'm still in The World's Most Slogging Rabanasty and didn't have a chance to check yet. =(

Jokes on you if you think square would ever use a roegadame for promotional stuff. :v:

I also really want mannequins. :negative:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Roe ladies are best ladies, so it's obvious they would never appear in any promotional material.

Not waif enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Jokes on you if you think square would ever use a roegadame for promotional stuff. :v:

I also really want mannequins. :negative:

I gotta say, holy hell, that's one of the coolest looking Roegadames I've ever seen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished the HW main story

Midgarsormyr was a good Egg after all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phone posted:

2.x is the dev team finding their footing, and to slot this into a pro/con thing...
Con: it's delivered via 5 step quests of "talk to this guy to get the mcguffin" teleporting over the entire realm

It's a slog, and you can get burnt out just mainlining MSQ after MSQ; however, I wouldn't call it punishing or anything of the sort.

The lovely pacing makes more sense if you tackle it in the manner in which it was delivered, with three-month breaks in between each increment of .x

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Have a second monitor/tablet/laptop/phone on nearby with Netflix/Hulu/whatever weird anime you're into so that you can distract yourself as you wait for Mor Dhona to load for the zillionth time then pause for the actual story bits and then it's fine honestly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This game is my primary vehicle for listening to podcasts. It got me through the entirety of the adventure zone

I’m taking a break to play other stuff during the patch lull, I’m falling way behind on my podcast backlog

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
We wiped, like, 15 times on this.

And the worst part is that there's a harder version of Nael than this. :negative:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We wiped, like, 15 times on this.

And the worst part is that there's a harder version of Nael than this. :negative:

T9 is no joke, unsynched gets you past all the numbers checks but the mechanics are still rough.

The real mechanical hell is unsynched T 7.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

This game is my primary vehicle for listening to podcasts. It got me through the entirety of the adventure zone

I’m taking a break to play other stuff during the patch lull, I’m falling way behind on my podcast backlog

Taking breaks to do Hildy, Postmoogle, and alllll the new level 50 dungeons does wonders to break up the slog, too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Congratulations on finding the Heaven Sward.

Now to delve into the remaining bits of plot that aren't resolved yet! You'll notice pretty fast that the HW expansion patches are paced way better than ARR's.

And be sure to unlock the ex version of the trial fight you just beat. It's still cool af and actually on the harder side when level synched.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thordan’s Reign is honestly still one of my favorite extreme trials.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thordan’s Reign is honestly still one of my favorite extreme trials.

:same:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Phone posted:

yeah the 2.x story is real good and needs to be 90-ish quests shorter

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Thordan EX is definitely one of the best trials in the game. I'm partial to fights where executing mechanics well and planning and communication are more important than pumping out raw numbers. It has its DPS checks, but I never struggled with those as much as having a toe in the wrong place for whirly-tackle or someone out of place for SPEAR. Plus it's actually pretty forgiving if someone dies. It's got beautiful visuals in a game full of fights with beautiful visuals. The music is great.

It's probably easily top 5 material. Slides in right under T13.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The post Heavsenward stuff was pretty good, shame about the WOD though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

WOD though.

So much potential :negative:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The post Heavsenward stuff was pretty good, shame about the WOD though.

Note: The Warriors of Darkness died (again) on the way back to their home planet.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on healing Black Hole phase in O4S? I can have people at full health, with Roused Whispering Dawn, Fey Covenant, and a Succor shield prior to the Black Hole cast going off, even throw Excog on the tank, and people are still dying left and right. Obviously Indom when everyone's gathering up for Holy isn't enough healing, but I'm not sure what else there is to give besides maybe a Swiftcasted Succor or trying to switch the initial Succor out for a deployed Adlo.

I guess I can ponder it while waiting for absurdly long Doma Castle DF queues. And take cute /gpose screenshots with AFK friends.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dmboogie posted:

Taking breaks to do Hildy, Postmoogle, and alllll the new level 50 dungeons does wonders to break up the slog, too.
I have been riding hard through the MSQ in general on the theory that I will do at least some of the quests I skip to level up WAR, but there really is just a whole lot of poo poo to do in this game.

Even the poop quest was better than WoW's! And contextually appropriate, too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Done the dungeon and trial yet? Don't mouse over if you haven't.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 12, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This game genuinely has some loving amazing lines.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I did all of it, yeah.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Turns out I copy-pasted the wrong image link. Have what I was ACTUALLY trying to copy-paste.

Gee, what could possibly happen if a god should choose to fight a god-killer? An angry, vengeful, wrathful god-killer at that. Hmmm...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Now do the fat chocobo mask.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't have that screenshot handy. :negative:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Two of my sprouts are gonna get married, so if anybody wants to attend just send a Tell to Lilith Vrinn or Merwin Vyraxian. The wedding is January 19th (next Friday) at 8 pm EST. It's gon be cute.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Turns out I copy-pasted the wrong image link. Have what I was ACTUALLY trying to copy-paste.

Gee, what could possibly happen if a god should choose to fight a god-killer? An angry, vengeful, wrathful god-killer at that. Hmmm...

who? what are you?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

pupuru posted:

oh I meant just the base game, I know there's at least as much story content in the expacs

also jesus christ I see what people mean about the pacing of the MSQ. from beating on gunshield dude to making stew for soldiers.

Making stew is an unironically good quest because it helps 'ground' the warrior of light and show that even though they're a terrifying godkiller they still care about the common person. Like, imagine that you're fighting in WW2 and Patton himself decides to show up and cook you dinner.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

who? what are you?
Cloud' Strife'

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 13, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

Making stew is an unironically good quest because it helps 'ground' the warrior of light and show that even though they're a terrifying godkiller they still care about the common person. Like, imagine that you're fighting in WW2 and Patton himself decides to show up and cook you dinner.

Yeah, I loved it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Primals are like Old Testament Gods full of wrath and fire and commands while the WoL is like Jesus, God in a human body, and stuff like making stew is like how Jesus would wash people's feet which they would have added during 2.X but they try not to give the foot fetishists much to latch onto.