Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Madkal posted:

Recently a bunch of alt-right shitheads tried to bring out accusations of sexual abuser against Schumar that were disproven immediately. Yes accusations should be treated seriously but they should also pass a smell test. That's why I would wait for a more reputable news source to break the story over a source that constantly lies about stuff.

They're also currently losing a legal battle over slander. They're also being sued by the person they claimed was abused because they used her name and information about her approval and she's also suing them and they are also losing that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have but you can't do the "take all accusations seriously " and do this poo poo.

You just can't.

I thought the latest iteration of the argument over whether Man of Steel is a good movie or not would be the dumbest thing I read on BSS lately but instead it turns out it's this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That was a scary couple minutes for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

I thought the latest iteration of the argument over whether Man of Steel is a good movie or not would be the dumbest thing I read on BSS lately but instead it turns out it's this.

Man of Steel is a bad movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Man of Steel is a bad movie.

Stop. XO just banned discussion of this in the actual movie thread, we don't need it here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/unbeatablesg/status/951049472829808640

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Because I guess I need to provide a disclaimer that I do not ask this in any way to discredit or question the accounts of real life women in 2018 or diminish any real life wrongdoing, but going back to the very reasonable posting of the person who just called me a shitbag:

Did the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four have any incidents of actual physical domestic abuse? I know that Reed Richards was frequently an arrogant jerk and told Susan that wives are for kissing, not talking, but I am sure people here have read the run more recently than I have. The only time I can remember Reed Richards slapping the Invisible Woman was during John Byrne's run on the book in the 1980s.

None of this has anything to do with what appear to be credible accusations against the real person of Stan Lee. It bears no reflection on any conversation or person engaging in conversation here or anywhere else, I'm merely curious now.

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago? Or should I say how Jack Kirby wrote Reed Richards and then noted dirtbag Stan Lee took credit for Jack Kirby's sexual violence and misogyny?

Edge & Christian posted:

So long as we agree that Jack Kirby is also probably a rapist, as are essentially everyone who has worked in the comics industry 1938-present and let's be honest, everyone who has lived.

yes i in fact totally believe that you "remembered" that byrne wrote this panel (which i will accept being wrong about, it looks like it did occur in Fantastic Four issue 281, written by john byrne) and didn't have to look it up after you dragged jack kirby into it, saying that he wrote it, and then tried to insinuate that i called kirby a rapist. because i am the very unreasonable one in this, you have done nothing wrong at all. i also totally believe this had nothing to do with you getting called out by several other members of the sub for making that post and that that's why you are willfully ignoring that those posts ever happened. also i'd like to note that this is now shifting away from acknowledgment that misogyny in general can contribute to behavior that can lead to sexual harassment, and is now attempting to move to saying that it's only when domestic violence is shown that can be contributory. sure, i was wrong about who made that slap panel, but i am unwilling to go along with your shifting goalposts here

so, let's take a look at some other panels that do show some misogyny

oh yeah did i mention the plotline to this story is that living laser has a crush on janet so the obvious thing to do is kidnap her, but i know i know VILLAINS absolves people of criticism when coming up with these stories right?

tbh im just throwing up image links from a quick google because i am very much not the first person to talk about this online and this post is already taking up enough of my time. there are a few other panels but tbh since they arent labelled and they dont immediately strike me as kirby art i cant place who wrote it by frame of reference

here's a quote about how stan felt about carol danvers

marvel comics the untold story, ch 9 posted:

Ms. Marvel had also been conceived as a trademark strategy (and an empty gesture toward feminism), but Chris Claremont had transformed her into a carefully shaded character by dwelling on her relationships with her parents and the challenges of her career. “We’re trying to appeal to a female audience, trying to make her a hip, happening, 70s woman striking out on her own,” Claremont recalled. “We say to the artist, ‘ . . . and we need her to look sexy.’ Well, his interpretation of sexy was derived from the ’40s, so what we got was a continuous series of crotch shots.” Claremont lobbied to get his old X-Men partner Dave Cockrum on the title, and they went through several dozen costume redesigns, trying to get it just right. No one had invested so much energy into a female superhero before, and, as Cockrum observed, no one else much cared. “When I brought in the one that was ultimately approved, Stan said, ‘why didn’t you bring me this one first? This is what I’m after . . . tits and rear end.’ ”

hell, here's a quote from stan regarding what he thinks about mcu movies starring women

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stan-lee-names-inhumans-as-631742 posted:

Elsewhere in the same interview, Lee explains that he doesn't think that Marvel is in any rush to offer up a movie with a female lead anytime soon. "The thing is, the women like these movies as much as the guys," he said. "So we don't have to knock ourselves out finding a female."

the feeeemales

anyways, unless you accuse me of calling someone a rapist again, im gonna let this be my last post so as to not get trouble with x-o

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Okay, so turns out things Stan Lee said to represent himself about women in the 2000s (or the 1970s, or at any point) are far more compelling evidence that he's a sexist dirtbag.

site posted:

yes i in fact totally believe that you "remembered" that byrne wrote this panel (which i will accept being wrong about, it looks like it did occur in Fantastic Four issue 281, written by john byrne) and didn't have to look it up after you dragged jack kirby into it, saying that he wrote it, and then tried to insinuate that i called kirby a rapist.
Believe it or not I did actually remember that John Byrne had a run on Fantastic Four and both wrote and drew the panel people quote all of the time, in what was a really weird S&M themed storyline that had the stated intention of empowering Susan because after the slap snapped her out of the Psycho-Man's control she actually changed her name from Invisible Girl to Invisible Woman in the 1980s, which is memorable/notable because it took that long to make the change.

I also remembered that the slap panel happened during John Byrne's run and involved Malice because it is the figleaf people use to say that Reed slapping Sue is less-bad than Hank Pym slapping Janet van Dyne because Sue was under mind control and Reed "only" hit her to get her to snap out of the mind control. I also remember (though I can only guess which writer wrote that particular issue) that Peter Parker slapped Mary Jane, but that is also less-bad than Hank Pym because at the time, Peter had been gaslit into believing he was a clone. I actually remember a lot of stuff about comic books.

I honestly glossed over the "wife beating" part of your initial post the first time I read it. I was thinking more of all of the other sexist/"wives are for kissing, not talking"/"go clean the house, but do it QUIETLY" panels that came from the Lee/Kirby run, which again, are things that I remember from both reading and discussing comic books.

I have a pretty hazy recollection of the last couple of years of the Lee/Kirby run on Fantastic Four, and (I think) Reed and Sue were estranged for a bit at the end and she left the team with Franklin, though that may have been in the Lee/Buscema era.

Assuming the accusations levied against Stan Lee are true (and I'm not going to assume they are not) I would consider his behavior rape. You posted asking if anyone could be surprised that someone behind the Lee/Kirby run of Fantastic Four could be accused of this behavior, given the content of those issues. Based on this, why would Jack Kirby be less guilty of having the background that would lead people to assume this sort of behavior is in them? Talking about things Stan Lee said seem like much better ammo in a case against him, or for that matter the mere existence of Striperella, which I did not remember until someone brought it up in this very thread.

quote:

also i'd like to note that this is now shifting away from acknowledgment that misogyny in general can contribute to behavior that can lead to sexual harassment, and is now attempting to move to saying that it's only when domestic violence is shown that can be contributory.
I wasn't saying that at all, but the level of misogyny evident in Stan Lee's corpus of work was (at least to my recollection) sadly pretty much par for the course in that era of comics and media in general. I think the difference between "a woman's place is in the home" and "you should hit your wife if she thinks otherwise" are two intertwined but distinct levels of Bad. As I said earlier it seemed like a pretty weak Exhibit A for why he Definitely Did That poo poo Why Would Anyone Assume He Hadn't.

quote:

oh yeah did i mention the plotline to this story is that living laser has a crush on janet so the obvious thing to do is kidnap her, but i know i know VILLAINS absolves people of criticism when coming up with these stories right?
It kind of does? They're villains, I don't assume that Dan Slott wants to wipe out 98% of the global population, that Jack Kirby wants to unlock the anti-life equation to control the minds of all living things, or that Jordan Peele is a huge supporter of the Sunken Place.

I absolutely believe that Stan Lee was a male chauvinist, sexist, I won't even argue misogynist* in the 1960s and beyond, and the quotes you sourced show that he hasn't evolved much (if at all) since the 1960s.

* I am more/too hesitant to jump straight to that term because I feel like there is some level of severity-of-awfulness between "women aren't good at science!" and "women are all lying whores" but whatever. Both are bad but I do feel like one is worse?

I think people make a shitload of assumptions about works of fiction in general and especially around comics. I know pointing this out around Secret Empire -- the idea that Nick Spencer could have problematic political beliefs and be a bad writer but not be someone who thinks Nazis are great and that Nazi Captain America is a real hero -- also pissed people off. Maybe this is too much of a half-measure, and arguing for some level of nuance reads too much as apologia to people.

I think the sort of "in for a penny, in for a pound" level of villainy that too many superhero comics (and genre fiction in general) lean towards is simplistic and dumb in fiction and equally dumb in discussing actual human beings. Wonder Woman could have decided Maxwell Lord had to die and killed him and not just snap and start murdering every criminal she sees. Someone could be a career criminal and not want to eradicate humanity. I think this extends to real life people as well, at least until people come forward and say it doesn't.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 11, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that whether or not you like the DC movies, literally everyone can agree that it would be better DC had decided to do a cinematic universe based on Weird War Tales

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has everyone seen this already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

I think it's an interesting performance piece that uses a Garfield comic as a launching point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
omg if you value your sanity you won't watch that video it's ridiculous

Instead do like i did last night, if you're an old and like these games, and use this awesome custom emu to play GoldenEye and pd at 60fps with a keyboard/mouse setup

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lasagnacat is loving insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ooCnZviZ8

Uh... NWS

you need this to make it complete: http://shampoofantasy.com/

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 11, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

omg if you value your sanity you won't watch that video it's ridiculous

Instead do like i did last night, if you're an old and like these games, and use this awesome custom emu to play GoldenEye and pd at 60fps with a keyboard/mouse setup

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

That's definitely a better use of time--can you do multiplayer too? It'd be interesting to play split screen multiplayer over the Internet. I'm sure some indie game already does this, now that I've typed it out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hardly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg&t=16428s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's definitely a better use of time--can you do multiplayer too? It'd be interesting to play split screen multiplayer over the Internet. I'm sure some indie game already does this, now that I've typed it out.

Ummmm i don't think so?? But tbh I've never tried, you should check the readme

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The guys behind Lasagna Cat did a panel at Mega 64 gamedays this year where they auctioned off props.

Still disappointed that I didn't win Exploded Penis B

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it's an interesting performance piece that uses a Garfield comic as a launching point.

You're wrong, it's an interesting dissection of a comic. It doesn't use the strip as a "launching point", it starts at the comic and digs down into every aspect of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I accidentally got a week and a 1/2 of comics and also got flooded this week with comics. Just spent like 3-4 hours binging them, still need to read those two issues of grand design.

After all that, while I had fun, I read so much that...I don't remember what I read. Like, at all.

They were all good, I don't remember being disappointed with any of them, but, I read so much, that it feels like the last few hours were a haze.

Is this what it's like to have a stroke?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did the same thing this week don't feel too bad

Covok
May 27, 2013

It could just be residual pains from my wallet.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

It's quite likely that Dave Trampier was inspired by the giant from Prince Valiant when drawing the stone giant. Hal Foster is a big influence on comics and fantasy art in general. Jack Kirby's Demon Etrigan was inspired by a mask Valiant wore in one storyline, for example.

From a different thread but thought this was cool and something I never knew!

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh this old thing? I just whipped it up from a goose I had on hand. No big deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/951148805289897984

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tom King is a pro follow on twitter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel cheap af

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Tom who? That reminds me of someone I vaguely remember cowardly jumping ship. Please buy The Vision by The Original Writer harcover in stores now."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Tom who? That reminds me of someone I vaguely remember cowardly jumping ship. Please buy The Vision by The Original Writer harcover in stores now."

Isn't there a longer version of that in an actual Marvel book?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think Stan Lee said he wrote it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't there a longer version of that in an actual Marvel book?

Tom did a funny send off in his last Vision letter column pretending to be censored from mentioning DC or Batman or something.

edit: Maybe it wasn't the last issue. Can't find it there.

ee: nm you found it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tom did a funny send off in his last Vision letter column pretending to be censored from mentioning DC or Batman or something.

Ah yeah, here it is:

E: Which is pretty funny in hindsight given we're up to at least the 4th release of Vision now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Never been angrier at my local comics publisher for being in goddamn 2018 and not having published Tom King's Vision here yet. I've been dodging spoilers for almost three years, this is loving bullshit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeeze is vision really that old already

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got it free digitally from that Marvel Amazon promotion they were doing and thought it was alright. I wish I'd known more about the character because it probably would have made me enjoy it more, though it wasn't like you needed editorial footnotes to know what was going on.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, this is a cool one. Pretty much all of those Golden Age guys were trying to be Hal Foster and/or Alex Raymond, so if you're wondering who your favorite artist's favorite artist's favorite artist was, those are the guys to look into.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

site posted:

Jeeze is vision really that old already

Well, it launched in fall 2017, so more like 2 years and change.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, this is a cool one. Pretty much all of those Golden Age guys were trying to be Hal Foster and/or Alex Raymond, so if you're wondering who your favorite artist's favorite artist's favorite artist was, those are the guys to look into.

Can someone make the case for Hal Foster and Alex Raymond for an audience today? I see their names pop up in the exact context you describe, but I don't recall ever really enjoying Prince Valiant when it was in the newspaper and I read newspaper comics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Vision HC showed up except it’s a birthday present for a friend who’s birthday is in May

I got really excited when I read Vision for the first time last month okay

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

My Vision HC showed up except it’s a birthday present for a friend who’s birthday is in May

I got really excited when I read Vision for the first time last month okay

We got shorted two copies so I had to hide the only copy we got so I could buy it today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i finally wrapped back around to reading through stormwatch v2 and am now reading the authority and lmao it's kinda ridiculous how much millar used this as a template for the ultimates

site fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has anyone read enough Wimmins' Comix to describe it? I'm always interested in the history of comics, but the counterculture comics of the 70s I've never really taken a shine to, and that time period seems to be the genesis of this collection.

Are these funny? Is the art decent? Just curious if it's worth picking up.

• Locked thread