Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Death Star is a droid right? I don't think I got an answer to that question. It fucks and talks to R2 though (does that mean when the techs were flipping those switches to get it to fire they were jerking it off?) so I guess so.

Star Wars is weird.

The Death Star is a fleshlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Death Star is a fleshlight

No the battering ram cannon is

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

People who don't think droids are people must be very confused at ANH following a pair of inanimate objects for fifteen minutes.

RBA Starblade posted:

Star Wars 12 or whatever better have a Death Star and a Force-using Planet or something square off.
The Legends EU actually had a Force sensitive planet. It was honestly better than it sounds, sort of a Gaia hypothesis situation where the biosphere of a planet had awakened to consciousness.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm pretty sure Lucas himself has talked about how droids aren't quite people and Vader's connection to the force is muddled by all his machine parts. When Obi Wan says, "He's more machine now than man," it isn't meant to be entirely OB just being an rear end in a top hat. I may have dreamed this though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think there's been anything about droid personhood in the ST so I doubt there'll be anything on it in IX.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

porfiria posted:

I'm pretty sure Lucas himself has talked about how droids aren't quite people and Vader's connection to the force is muddled by all his machine parts. When Obi Wan says, "He's more machine now than man," it isn't meant to be entirely OB just being an rear end in a top hat. I may have dreamed this though.
Star Wars has humanizing and dehumanizing technology, it's not necessarily that all machines are good or bad. The droids are an example of the former, while Vader and the Death Star are examples of the latter. The forms of technology that are bad are those that remove the humanity of people, but technology by itself isn't negative.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I'm pretty sure Lucas himself has talked about how droids aren't quite people and Vader's connection to the force is muddled by all his machine parts.

Yes - inorganic lifeforms have no midichlorians, and Vader has fewer than Anakin did.

The “droids aren’t people” fantasy is closely linked to the Jedi’s mutant supremacism.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah I remember some discussion that the thought was that Anakin was more powerful than Vader. But Anakin's full potential wasn't exactly realized and Vader was a less powerful apprentice than the Emperor was hoping to get.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gatts posted:

Yeah I remember some discussion that the thought was that Anakin was more powerful than Vader. But Anakin's full potential wasn't exactly realized and Vader was a less powerful apprentice than the Emperor was hoping to get.

Well I mean the real point is that Vader defeats Emperor Satan using neither psychic powers nor a lightsaber.

He uses his droid parts.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean you can sort of see it, the only real droid characters in any of the movies are 3PO and R2, and God only knows what R2 is thinking. 3PO seems pretty person-y but it's not hard to imagine George saying something weird like, "3PO has human characteristics but he doesn't really grow or change like the humans do. He can't really go against his essential nature." Seriously read that in Lucas voice it sounds plausible to me.

And the mordant robot in Rogue One but I barely remember his deal. He had brain damage or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

People aren't manufactured and programmed. There is a large and distinct difference between a person and a robot, even a sentient one.

There is a difference between people and robots. Droids, however, are people.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

porfiria posted:

And the mordant robot in Rogue One but I barely remember his deal. He had brain damage or something.

His name was Kaytoo and he was a hero drat it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

it's not hard to imagine George

Weird thoughts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I still say R2D2 is a Force God. He does everything. I get he can't have midochlorians but...come on. COME ON. Or maybe he's the James Bond of SW only pumping Death Star's for info and being masculine heroic adventurer.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
shout outs to the guy on the last page who said that none of the Star Wars movies showed anybody speaking to R2D2 and understanding him, how brave is it to steadfastly refuse to watch ESB in 2018

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

Bleck posted:

shout outs to the guy on the last page who said that none of the Star Wars movies showed anybody speaking to R2D2 and understanding him, how brave is it to steadfastly refuse to watch ESB in 2018

I suggest you watch it again. When in the X-wing, Luke get's Artoo's beeps translated to him via text on a screen. Other times, he and other characters (Threepio excepted) only ever respond to Artoo's obvious mood or attitude, not any of his dialogue.

One of the main reasons we have Threepio is so people can understand Artoo. This is not complicated.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 13, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The good thing about George is he's a very distinct character: the throat wattle, the funny voice, the plaid shirts. JJ and Rian Johnson are just like skinny urbane white dudes. Pathetic.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Trends come and trends go, but you'll never go wrong with flannel.

e: Also I would argue J.J. wearing his mom's glasses everywhere is a fairly bold distinctive style.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 13, 2018

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
pretend i posted a screencap of luke saying "hey! watch your language!" to R2-D2 from TLJ here

not only can luke understand r2 he can tell when he's swearing at him, which is always, because r2 is an rear end in a top hat

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

porfiria posted:

I mean you can sort of see it, the only real droid characters in any of the movies are 3PO and R2, and God only knows what R2 is thinking. 3PO seems pretty person-y but it's not hard to imagine George saying something weird like, "3PO has human characteristics but he doesn't really grow or change like the humans do. He can't really go against his essential nature." Seriously read that in Lucas voice it sounds plausible to me.

Well now we're getting into this really weird space where we're conflating 'character' with how many lines someone gets. But literally a dog can be a character in a film - character is not a matter of how personable or significant to a plot someone is. If you have personhood, you're a character. That little RC mouse-bot that runs screaming when Chewie growls at it is a character. That droid in AotC that angrily knocks the other droid out of the way is a character. They do not act like individuals who are 'slaves to their programming.' They behave just like every other organic character in the films, demonstrating subjectivity, and the ability to make decisions that are either highly interpretive of their 'programming,' or fly right in the face of it.

Also, Kay's "deal" in Rogue One is very straightforward: He's an imperial droid who was re-programmed as a rebel, and is caught in the ironic situation where he follows his new programming, but is also aware of how arbitrary it is. Furthermore, he's aware that there is, structurally, no difference between how the rebels see him and how the empire utilized him. He's a very cynical character, like a mix of Threepio and Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

ungulateman posted:

pretend i posted a screencap of luke saying "hey! watch your language!" to R2-D2 from TLJ here

not only can luke understand r2 he can tell when he's swearing at him, which is always, because r2 is an rear end in a top hat

I brought this up in the first place because of that very line. TLJ is literally the first time any of the humans in any of the movies have been able to understand Artoo. Though I suppose you could argue Luke's just assuming Artoo's cursing (because it's a safe bet) and not actually able to translate his beeps and bleeps into actual words.

While obviously not important at all to the quality of the movie, that'd be my preferred reading.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Which is more important: Luke communicating with R2-D2, or Luke interpreting R2-D2's language?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Which is more important: Luke communicating with R2-D2, or Luke interpreting R2-D2's language?

I like to imagine Luke pretends to knkw what R2 says in the same way whenever you're in a situation where you have to interact with someone but you forgot their name and it's too awkward to ask them.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
BB8 probably has the most protagonism of any of the droids in any of the films, and in TLJ is straight up just a first-order protagonist. The trick that the films have always played is that either the droid speaker has to be a self-effacing defender of slavery -- 3PO -- or they just have to be entirely unintelligible to the audience, and mediated through the other characters in the film. We only ever understand R2 through 3PO or the humans around him; same with BB8. But the same is also true of Chewbacca, and it does not matter if that's an accident.

The most interesting thing JJ could do moving forward is make Chewbacca one of the first-order protagonists of Episode 9 and straight-up give him subtitles so he can speak to the audience directly -- while not doing the same for the droids.

Crion fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 13, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hansen85 posted:

I brought this up in the first place because of that very line. TLJ is literally the first time any of the humans in any of the movies have been able to understand Artoo.

Luke talks to Artoo in his X-Wing in Empire and Jedi like he's carrying on a normal conversation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Luke talks to Artoo in his X-Wing in Empire and Jedi like he's carrying on a normal conversation.
There's a screen in his X-Wing that writes out what Artoo is saying for him.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm pretty sure Luke also talks to R2 on Dagobah outside the X-Wing with full understanding, especially when lecturing him about being leery of creepy swamps and dumbass muppet goblins.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

The good thing about George is he's a very distinct character: the throat wattle, the funny voice, the plaid shirts. JJ and Rian Johnson are just like skinny urbane white dudes. Pathetic.

Rian Johnson is great and cool.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Never trust a robot, they’re gonna collapse your head and demand rights. They should’ve never been built

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Crion posted:

I'm pretty sure Luke also talks to R2 on Dagobah outside the X-Wing with full understanding, especially when lecturing him about being leery of creepy swamps and dumbass muppet goblins.

"If you're saying that coming here was a bad idea, I'm beginning to agree with you."

The key is the first three words. Luke is not translating droid speak in ESB, although he can usually get a vague sense of it, and of course Artoo understands Luke. But by the time of TLJ why couldn't Luke learn astromech-ese? I don't see how these are mutually contradictory.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Although that would also make perfect sense if R2 had simply said something like "I have a bad feeling about this."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I always had the impression that droid binary was just another foreign language: one you could learn with effort and dedication (possibly with much harder difficulty for most humans because of the completely different sorts of sounds involved). If you regularly worked with and communicated with a particular droid, you may pick up some words and phrases and be able to get a general sense of tone even without an invested effort to becoming fluent.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 13, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Actually, R2D2 is a robot and his beeps don't mean anything. The other characters respond to him like he's talking because they are insane.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually, R2D2 is a robot and his beeps don't mean anything. The other characters respond to him like he's talking because they are insane.

this, but being a robot doesn't mean he isn't people.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Clearly Lucas thought long and hard and made the droid army an analogue for american chattel slavery. Remember when Frederick Douglass drove the world’s first combat sub in its test cruise, checking the efficacy of his torpedos on Mississipi slave barges?

I like this logic where a metaphor isn't a situation that has parallels to historical events but is more about humanity's wider relationship with labor and class structure than any one historical situation, it has to be a 1:1 allegory you can fit together with tweezers and glue and hang from the ceiling with fishing line. The model airplane theory of literary interpretation.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

I like this logic where a metaphor isn't a situation that has parallels to historical events but is more about humanity's wider relationship with labor and class structure than any one historical situation, it has to be a 1:1 allegory you can fit together with tweezers and glue and hang from the ceiling with fishing line. The model airplane theory of literary interpretation.
umm excuse me sir, the Vietcong didn't, in fact, salivate acid; Aliens is clearly just a movie about a bunch of bugs getting wiped out by a badass

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah, and are we expected to believe that all the aliens on the ship use the same bathrooms to poo poo in?? You'd have to have several bathrooms to accommodate Mon Calamri Shits and C3PO shits and... Ewok shits and whatever. Yet we NEVER get a satisfactory explanation for who shits where. In fact, Johnson is so lazy, he avoids showing making GBS threads altogether!

that would be really cool. very zizek, in a good way

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is cloning mentioned and then never brought up again in Star Wars? That seems to me like it would be a big deal. No one questions whether anyone is really who they say they are, even though clones are thing.

a doppelganger story might be a cool thing in star wars. i love doppelganger stories

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

in star wars 1: a new hope, it's basically like rome and the droids are roman slaves and no one talks about it or thinks about it because thats how slaves were treated in rome, most of the time, is my take, on the droid slavery thing.

its not like chattel slavery in america, because by that point in history slavery was already seen as way outdated. star wars takes place at a time when slavery is just part of the scenery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that doesnt make slavery a good thing btw, im just explaining why no one acknowledges it in the movies