Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pugzilla posted:

Only problem is when I get too many bad guys/ monsters on me at once.

This is why hunters are the worst solo class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

sassassin posted:

Hunters shouldn't have this problem, because everything just dies before it gets to you. :coal:

Estel
May 4, 2010

Pugzilla posted:

Never played a warden, but I enjoy my hunter. Only problem is when I get too many bad guys/ monsters on me at once. If you like playing the role of sniper, hunter may be for you.

sassassin posted:

And this is why Wardens are the best solo class. You want all the monsters around so you can hurt them and heal yourself at the same time. When monsters start dying and you receive more damage because you have less monsters to steal morale sometimes it's easier to just go and grab more monsters than heal yourself with healing gambits.

The fact that you steal morale from the monsters is the reason why wardens are always going to be the best solo class.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sassassin posted:

trump_wrong.gif

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Still planning on getting back to this game eventually. But I'm wondering what I'd expect to pay for this game? Can't find the info anywhere online, and I don't want to download the client to check.

I already have mirkwood, isengard, moria, riding, some skirmishes, most relevant quest packs from vanilla. So I guess this just leaves Rohan, Gondor, and Mordor? How much would that be?

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 10, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

flowinprose posted:

Hunters shouldn't have this problem, because everything just dies before it gets to you. :coal:

Alternatively good classes let you walk around not caring about enemies at all, and then when there's ten or so chipping at you, you hit some buttons and everything dies. Much more efficient than the single file hunter death queue.

There's a reason hunters were given all the fast travel abilities. It's to make up for the extra time spent fighting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Estel posted:

And this is why Wardens are the best solo class. You want all the monsters around so you can hurt them and heal yourself at the same time. When monsters start dying and you receive more damage because you have less monsters to steal morale sometimes it's easier to just go and grab more monsters than heal yourself with healing gambits.

The fact that you steal morale from the monsters is the reason why wardens are always going to be the best solo class.

Fighting bosses with my old guardian was like that. It was easier to kill them the more adds I gathered because of the reflecting light damage.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like playing a red spec’d Captain and I don’t really have a problem yet soloing but it isn’t always a fast process.

FWIW I played the game upon release and have a 49 Captain and only recently picked the game back up again casually, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Estel posted:

Guardians can do that too.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Brave New World posted:

And don't take time to toggle everything :colbert:

How's the bear for soloing?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I think I left my account ViP subbed for nearly a year before it shut off because when I came back I had like 9000 fun bucks so what I am saying is I have all the raids and quests and instances for every region now.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Brave New World posted:

I played Warden and Guardian to 70-75 and i really like the Guardian but the Warden is better in those situations.

I don't know if it changes with higher level but i doubt it with all the self healing, morale steals and infinite power you get with the Warden.

Malek posted:

How's the bear for soloing?

I started one and i have it at 50 and in Yellow line you are immortal unless you are fighting with mobs that can chain stun you but it takes forever to kill things.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Estel posted:

I started one and i have it at 50 and in Yellow line you are immortal unless you are fighting with mobs that can chain stun you but it takes forever to kill things.

So it's a Guardian furry.

Side note: Ticket still unanswered after 9 days. :| God damnit. Maybe I should just rebuy everything and have them gently caress with it later.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Estel posted:

I played Warden and Guardian to 70-75 and i really like the Guardian but the Warden is better in those situations.

I don't know if it changes with higher level but i doubt it with all the self healing, morale steals and infinite power you get with the Warden.

My bear is at 100 now. After 50 you are still immortal but it takes even longer than forever to kill things.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dialhforhero posted:

Also I think I left my account ViP subbed for nearly a year before it shut off because when I came back I had like 9000 fun bucks so what I am saying is I have all the raids and quests and instances for every region now.

Congratulations! Spend all your 'destiny points', the forgotten currency of lotro before you run out of VIP again. I think you can still buy EXP boosts on any and every character with those.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Anyone who thinks a Hunter is the worst solo class hasn't played a Burglar.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I think their support's on holiday, I bought some bag space upgrades last week as well after buying mordor, they haven't worked, an ingame ticket told me they couldn't help and ask on the website support, and no reply to that.

Mordor sadly isn't grabbing me because as soon as I'm off the book path, I'm rapidly losing interest. I'll give it a bit longer but after 11 years of LOTRO this might be The End.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, complete newbie here, decided for grins I'd give this game a try considering my massive Tolkien nerd love. So far seems to be going mostly OK, I went ahead and did VIP since I cancelled one previous reoccurring monthly expense that was about that much recently anyway (can cancel VIP if I want later after all), did a ton of alts on Crickhollow to try the different playstyles/race origins, but I still have a bunch of questions obviously.

First, how do the whole expansion/quest pack things work? I presume buying the expansion gets everything and the quest packs just add quests for the areas? Any quick summary on what levels go where as far as the expansions go?

Second, how does Fellowship stuff/instances work? If I'm reading right there are group-only skills and such you get? What level can you start doing instances? Figure I need some practice/study before I inflict myself on some poor unsuspecting people who've been playing since launch and know all the tricks.

How do you install addons for this game? Most of the stuff I'm finding seems to be years old, worrying it's out of date now. At a minimum would like to get the Songbook stuff set up, the music system in this game is really neat stuff.

What's the deal with the whole legendary items/relics/etc. system? Keep seeing about a million things flying around about it, but it's all going over my head. What level does it become an issue?

Any other important tips for a newbie? I played WoW for a while so I grasp a lot of the basics, but not sure if I'm following along with everything.

Chairchucker posted:

Anyone who thinks a Hunter is the worst solo class hasn't played a Burglar.

LOL, figures Hunter and Burglar are my two "mains" thus far. I rather like them thus far, though I tend to overlevel like mad since I hang around and suck up all the zone content, "below level" or not, so I wind up running around a ton of light blue names destroying all by the end. Kind of hope I'm not offending the spirit of Tolkien considering his main bad guys in LOTR were devastating the natural world in the name of industry, and here's my hunter harvesting everything in site and blasting away wildlife like crazy to farm crafting mats :D. Though Captain is fast coming up in my estimation because I am highly amused at shouting enemies to death. Maybe should see about starting a DPS minstrel because if yelling at things to make them die is funny, literally killing things with face-melting solos would be utterly hilarious.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

By quest packs, do you mean things like Forochel, Angmar, Evendim, etc. or are you referring to stuff like the Riders of Rohan quest pack that you can buy instead of the full expansion? The former you have to either buy with LOTRO points or you can get them for free while you have a sub. All the expansions you have to buy even if you have a sub, but the quest pack versions of those only give you access to the quests and not the instances/raids. I got those for Isengard and Rohan I think because I don’t really care that much about doing instances and they cost less points to buy.

The earliest you can get a legendary item is level 45. I can’t remember if you have to have Moria to do it or if they let you do just the intro without the expansion. After that, you’ll have to replace them a bunch as you level up, but once you get to 100 you can imbue it and it will level up with you. Imbuing it can be kind of complicated, but you won’t have to worry about that for a while.

Also, goons are on Landroval if you care about that.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

By quest packs, do you mean things like Forochel, Angmar, Evendim, etc. or are you referring to stuff like the Riders of Rohan quest pack that you can buy instead of the full expansion? The former you have to either buy with LOTRO points or you can get them for free while you have a sub. All the expansions you have to buy even if you have a sub, but the quest pack versions of those only give you access to the quests and not the instances/raids. I got those for Isengard and Rohan I think because I don’t really care that much about doing instances and they cost less points to buy.

The earliest you can get a legendary item is level 45. I can’t remember if you have to have Moria to do it or if they let you do just the intro without the expansion. After that, you’ll have to replace them a bunch as you level up, but once you get to 100 you can imbue it and it will level up with you. Imbuing it can be kind of complicated, but you won’t have to worry about that for a while.

Also, goons are on Landroval if you care about that.

The quests that you do to get your first legendary items at level 45 is part of the Epic Quest line and should therefore be available to anyone whether you have purchased expansions or not.

As far as I know, the only Epic Quests that were tied to expansion purchases were the big battle portions of Helms Deep.

Estel
May 4, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

OK, complete newbie here, decided for grins I'd give this game a try considering my massive Tolkien nerd love. So far seems to be going mostly OK, I went ahead and did VIP since I cancelled one previous reoccurring monthly expense that was about that much recently anyway (can cancel VIP if I want later after all), did a ton of alts on Crickhollow to try the different playstyles/race origins, but I still have a bunch of questions obviously.

First, how do the whole expansion/quest pack things work? I presume buying the expansion gets everything and the quest packs just add quests for the areas? Any quick summary on what levels go where as far as the expansions go?

If you are VIP you have access to all the quest packs until Moria for free. You can see the level of the different zones here https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level.

MadDogMike posted:

Second, how does Fellowship stuff/instances work? If I'm reading right there are group-only skills and such you get? What level can you start doing instances? Figure I need some practice/study before I inflict myself on some poor unsuspecting people who've been playing since launch and know all the tricks.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/World_Instance

The fellowship skills are called Fellowship Manoeuvres and occur randomly when a monster is stunned or knocked down. There are certain skills that can force a FM.
When a FM occurs a wheel with 4 colored buttons appears on your screen and each member of the fellowship can push one button and add it to the combo. The resulting FM is given by the order of the colors added to the combo.

MadDogMike posted:

How do you install addons for this game? Most of the stuff I'm finding seems to be years old, worrying it's out of date now. At a minimum would like to get the Songbook stuff set up, the music system in this game is really neat stuff.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info663-LOTROPluginCompendium.html

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Question for those of you who played this game during SoA: how central was endgame dungeon running/raiding to the game experience back then?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

What level can you start doing instances? Figure I need some practice/study before I inflict myself on some poor unsuspecting people who've been playing since launch and know all the tricks.
The first dungeon(s) consists of a trio of small instances known as the Great Barrow, and it's meant for lvl 22ish characters. You get the quests for it in the Barrow Downs. You'll form the group for it in chat channels, and just let the people you're running it with know that you're a newb. This ain't WoW, people will be helpful rather than being complete assholes to you.

The next 3 instances are Garth Agarwen at 33ish, which completes the Lone Lands.

MadDogMike posted:

What's the deal with the whole legendary items/relics/etc. system? Keep seeing about a million things flying around about it, but it's all going over my head. What level does it become an issue?
Something that you don't have to worry about until lvl 45. At 45, race immediately to begin the Moria intro where you'll be awarded your first Legendary Weapon.

MadDogMike posted:

Any other important tips for a newbie? I played WoW for a while so I grasp a lot of the basics, but not sure if I'm following along with everything.
Enjoy the ride and take it slowly. If you're a big Tolkien fan, just wandering from quest to quest as you explore the world is a real treat, and by far the best way to play the game.

Again, Goons play on Landroval, so people in this thread can help you out if your roll there.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Brave New World posted:

Enjoy the ride and take it slowly. If you're a big Tolkien fan, just wandering from quest to quest as you explore the world is a real treat, and by far the best way to play the game.

Oh yeah, I go VERY slow through the areas because I explore like mad for my lore needs :).

quote:

Again, Goons play on Landroval, so people in this thread can help you out if your roll there.

Cool, moved over to Landroval since I didn't lose much at this point, I'm currently on Beltril, Flasco, and Freynora. Any way to get in touch?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Cnidario posted:

Question for those of you who played this game during SoA: how central was endgame dungeon running/raiding to the game experience back then?

Since I was around during that time then left for many years, I can tell you that I remember that, in my experience, the game became more focused on doing Free/Creep fights in the Ettenmoors. The epic quests were a bigger deal and getting good gear for doing Ettenmoors was more important. At least, that's how I remember it. Also I can't really remember legit raiding until Moria came out but I could be wrong.

GatewayBF
Feb 19, 2002
Then I started fooling around with myself. I crawled over to my lego box and grabbed some legos cause I figured they'd be pretty cool. Well to make short story even shorter, I ended up building a little house around my penis. At point my mom came in
Re-jumping in to this as 'Linkalin'. Any chance of an invite?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MadDogMike posted:

Oh yeah, I go VERY slow through the areas because I explore like mad for my lore needs :).

Cool, moved over to Landroval since I didn't lose much at this point, I'm currently on Beltril, Flasco, and Freynora. Any way to get in touch?

Flasco has joined the kin

You weren't online right now Linkalin but we will catch you next time

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'm playing this with friends. I was drawn by the OP's saying you can grow your own pipe-weed, but it turns out farming is terrible

I'm a minstrel. My friends play ranger and guardian. We're level 30 and I'm told we're reaching the end of the Lone-Lands. Things have been easy so far, so I've just been aggroing every mob I see with no cares. I've only been using minor ballad, perfect ballad and coda of melody. I get hugely overwhelmed with the number of skills I have - what should I be doing when the content gets more difficult? Which of my trait trees would best serve our group?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Dang, I spent points on new bag slots and it turns out because I subscribed in 2008 they don't do anything to my main character until I buy 4 more bag slots after that. Great for the alts I'm not playing!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

So in positive news I asked if they could refund the points, and they said sure, but also let me keep the alt bag slots. So good customer service!

Estel
May 4, 2010

xiw posted:

So good customer service!

I have a couple friends who played long ago and didn't migrate their accounts. They asked if they could do something to recover their old accounts and customer support said they couldn't but gave them Moria, Mirkwood and something else for free. So yeah, good customer support :)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

xiw posted:

So in positive news I asked if they could refund the points, and they said sure, but also let me keep the alt bag slots. So good customer service!

When they respond :v:

(And it took 3 weeks but they told me they won't give me access to my age old account because the information doesn't match. Nope, customer service sucks)

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 19, 2018

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm playing this with friends. I was drawn by the OP's saying you can grow your own pipe-weed, but it turns out farming is terrible

I'm a minstrel. My friends play ranger and guardian. We're level 30 and I'm told we're reaching the end of the Lone-Lands. Things have been easy so far, so I've just been aggroing every mob I see with no cares. I've only been using minor ballad, perfect ballad and coda of melody. I get hugely overwhelmed with the number of skills I have - what should I be doing when the content gets more difficult? Which of my trait trees would best serve our group?

the game is honestly so easy that it doesnt matter what you do. 3 people clearing pve map is a breeze. Other than the instances I don't think you will be challenged at all.

That said, it depends how you want to play. Want to heal and do nothing else? You can do that. Or you can trait redline and kill everything before your friends get into melee range. If you decide to be a nuker you just use minor ballad, then use some calls, minor ballad, piercing cry, put up some anthems and then finish with the coda of fury (executes all your ballads and anthems for a big hit). I don't really have experience with yellow line but maybe someone else can help you with that.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

edit: Thanks, Dunkadin, for making me the First Agers.

Siddhartha Glutamate fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
There's a dozen folks that can make that, just got to catch them. Ask any high level/ officer who'se online and there's a fair chance they have a crafting alt.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

the game is honestly so easy that it doesnt matter what you do. 3 people clearing pve map is a breeze. Other than the instances I don't think you will be challenged at all.

That said, it depends how you want to play. Want to heal and do nothing else? You can do that. Or you can trait redline and kill everything before your friends get into melee range. If you decide to be a nuker you just use minor ballad, then use some calls, minor ballad, piercing cry, put up some anthems and then finish with the coda of fury (executes all your ballads and anthems for a big hit). I don't really have experience with yellow line but maybe someone else can help you with that.

I ended up grabbing yellow a day or two ago because I've been spending all my time in Melody anyway. There's a trait in here that refreshes Piercing Cry when a ballad does a critical hit, this might be good. Thankyou for the advice

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
What do I need (to buy?) to get the Great River quests? I made it to Stangard, but the quests are not available, other than the tasks board.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
When you get to a quest you can't do, it should have the lotro bucks icon over their head and take you right to what you need to buy. If you're not seeing any icons at all, that should mean you can't do the quests yet (or you've already done them) for some other reason (like missing a breadcrumb or something).

That said - Great River has its own quest pack: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest_Pack:Great_River . But it sounds like you got something else going on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Great River is the best Rohan quest arc. It's a shame they decided to waste years remaking it in worse and worse ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Pugzilla posted:

What do I need (to buy?) to get the Great River quests? I made it to Stangard, but the quests are not available, other than the tasks board.

What level are you? Great River quests are level 75. If you're not following the epic questline (which directs you to Mirkwood from 60-65 and Enedwaith/Dunland from 65-75) and have just wandered in from Lothlorien you'll be level 60 or so, so you won't see any quests.