Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

french lies posted:

Yes this is why we have massively vertically integrated companies that do absolutely everything themselves and why consultancies are permanently out of business.

and bitcoin helps that how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Novo posted:

for institutions there is no advantage to decentralization. why the gently caress would a bank need to use a bunch of computer dork equipment on lovely internet connections or even a bunch of colocated boxes paid for by richer dorks? they have the resources to build or buy purpose built systems that will be cheaper, faster, and easier to maintain.

If you don’t want your banking done on a virus-ridden 486 over a modem line to Uzbekistan, I just don’t know what to tell you.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Novo posted:

for institutions there is no advantage to decentralization. why the gently caress would a bank need to use a bunch of computer dork equipment on lovely internet connections or even a bunch of colocated boxes paid for by richer dorks? they have the resources to build or buy purpose built systems that will be cheaper, faster, and easier to maintain.
That might be the case and might not be the case. It might be that the service is too niche for them to pay for their own system to solve this specific problem. As long as it makes economic sense to use the decentralized service it will be adopted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

french lies posted:

That might be the case and might not be the case. It might be that the service is too niche for them to pay for their own system to solve this specific problem. As long as it makes economic sense to use the decentralized service it will be adopted.
None of these things allegedly making hundreds of billions are even able to do any of this poo poo, anyway. The entire use case for Bitcoin seems to be "ah but MAYBE something in the FUTURE will do it," and also, crime/ruin (bitlocker and so on)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

french lies posted:

It cost $60 to pay for a bitcoin purchase

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

and bitcoin helps that how?
You can use blockchain and related technology to provide services through a decentralized network. If these turn out to be better and cheaper than the alternatives it will make economic sense for a big company to adopt them.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

french lies posted:

You can use blockchain and related technology to provide services through a decentralized network. If these turn out to be better and cheaper than the alternatives it will make economic sense for a big company to adopt them.

How? Blockchain is just a database. Pretty much every company has that

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

french lies posted:

sorry but you are either clueless or having a laugh because there is clearly literally no barrier to entry. they could pay a junior developer to fork the repo and install it on a few $5/month VMs and it would actually be better than buying tokens with cash to use the existing networks because the price and performance would be stable.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

klafbang posted:

Anything using mining will fail once they gain traction. Anything using a replicated instead of distributed ledger will fail once they gain traction (the Bitcoin ledger is replicated, the iota ledger is distributed but is secured by incorrect statistics and super-prone to double spending).

We are also not saying you cannot make money on a bubble. Just that at some point it will burst, and you cannot predict when that is. I was heavily invested in the bank sector in 2007. I read in the papers the bubble would burst but was making money like some sex-having investment-superstar and the predictions all pointed to the bubble bursting two months later than it did. You may make money now, but at some point the bubble will burst, and you will most likely not get out in time. The bubble may already have burst - we can only tell with hindsight.

I don’t want to get caught up in that again, and it seems a lot of people have the same opinion. How do you tell that pets.com is a bad idea, but bookstore.com will become one of the big 3 literally 2 decades later?
I’ve made my points multiple times about what I’m doing in terms of placing my money so I won’t rehash them. When I talk about investments I’m looking at whatever comes after what we have now. I think cryptos have a legitimate future as a vehicle for investing in the development of decentralized networks that have economic utility. Some may disagree but I’m convinced.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Novo posted:

sorry but you are either clueless or having a laugh because there is clearly literally no barrier to entry. they could pay a junior developer to fork the repo and install it on a few $5/month VMs and it would actually be better than buying tokens with cash to use the existing networks because the price and performance would be stable.
Possibly in some cases, but if you take something like authenticity checking (like Walton provides) there might be strong resistance from customers if the store tries using an off-brand chain. This is a big deal for the Chinese market and why a lot of these solutions are coming out of China.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

french lies posted:

Possibly in some cases, but if you take something like authenticity checking (like Walton provides) there might be strong resistance from customers if the store tries using an off-brand chain. This is a big deal for the Chinese market and why a lot of these solutions are coming out of China.
What does a blockchain actually provide here, and is it actually some kind of crypto coin business instead of a glorified git repository

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

None of these things allegedly making hundreds of billions are even able to do any of this poo poo, anyway. The entire use case for Bitcoin seems to be "ah but MAYBE something in the FUTURE will do it," and also, crime/ruin (bitlocker and so on)
It’s already being used as digital gold by a good number of people (I.e. stored as a reserve for a rainy hyperinflationy day and talked about endlessly to people who do not want to hear about it).

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

What does a blockchain actually provide here, and is it actually some kind of crypto coin business instead of a glorified git repository
Trustless verification like we discussed with the smart contracts.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

french lies posted:

Trustless verification like we discussed with the smart contracts.

lol

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
What data feeds the verification?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

french lies posted:

If smart contracts manage to reduce costs for financial institutions as I mentioned before then that is solving a problem for managers who want to maximize shareholder returns. Pretending otherwise is ludicrous.

Do you have any examples in history of a public company's shareholders revolting because they failed to adopt an emerging technology?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

necrotic posted:

What data feeds the verification?

I thinik bitcoin is stupid.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
i agree with you that there will probably be a few coins that last a long time because they serve various needs and as speculative vehicles. the decentralized public networks fulfil the primary goal of being "digital gold" so long as people use them that way

but the value proposition ends there

if i trust a website or an app to tell me something (because everyone else does like finance.google.com or my boss told me to because its the corporate intranet, or its my bank site and the security icon is green) it doesn't matter if the backend uses blockchain or mysql.

even to the developer, if the use case doesn't rely on volunteer nodes to prevent legal takedowns (which presumably are the legitimate applications you're forecasting), it won't matter and most developers who aren't drunk on kool aid will reach for an established paradigm

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

Do you have any examples in history of a public company's shareholders revolting because they failed to adopt an emerging technology?
If a manager can use smart contracts to save on cost he/she will be increasing the net income of the company and thereby the amount of money that can be paid out to shareholders in the form of dividends or buybacks. Most managers are incentivized through their compensation plan to maximize shareholder value, and therefore reducing costs is a problem to them which smart contracts can plausibly help solve.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

french lies posted:

If a manager can use my butt to save on cost he/she will be increasing the net income of the company and thereby the amount of money that can be paid out to shareholders in the form of dividends or buybacks. Most managers are incentivized through their compensation plan to maximize shareholder value, and therefore reducing costs is a problem to them which my butt can plausibly help solve.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
You’ll have to forgive me but I need to get out of this discussion or I literally will not get any sleep tonight. I’ll try to return to this thread by the end of the year and we can check out how things panned out, both in terms of the returns I made (or how much money I lost), and what the technology is doing in terms of adoption, if anything.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

french lies posted:

You’ll have to forgive me but I need to get out of this discussion or I literally will not get any sleep tonight. I’ll try to return to this thread by the end of the year and we can check out how things panned out, both in terms of the returns I made (or how much money I lost), and what the technology is doing in terms of adoption, if anything.

Kodak just launched your smart contracts thing man. Guess loving what, it's KodakCoin. They aren't using Ethereum. Every single company in the real world will do this when adopting crypto technology if that ever comes to pass. It's cool to get your perspective but it's obviously clear that nothing you can buy on any of the crypto exchanges have any future use whatsoever. The underlying concepts? Sure. But you can't invest in those, nobody has them copyrighted.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 13, 2018

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I’m a really stupid piece of poo poo so I have have some dumbass questions

why I buy a buttcoin when I could make gooncoins and give them away to anyone who hates Franco after I give myself lots of gooncoins and also say Franco is gay, and dumb

also I asked a question pages and pages ago which is why all assholes say this poo poo is currency but measure they own net worth in dollars

I’m a goddamn idiot yeah, but someone plz explain these things to me

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
and also plz use lots of amazing investing terms to tell me about gooncoins

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yah but maybe someone can convince me if they answer the questions

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

let it mellow posted:

and also plz use lots of amazing investing terms to tell me about gooncoins

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That bingo card is just plain cheating

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Edit: whew, vodka ramblings

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 13, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So the finite supply thing - only 21 million bitcoins! Though exchanges support spending up to .00000001 of a coin. So in reality the supply is fixed at what, 21 quadrillion if nothing were to change? May as well be as fixed as Fiat in that case

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

So the finite supply thing - only 21 million bitcoins! Though exchanges support spending up to .00000001 of a coin. So in reality the supply is fixed at what, 21 quadrillion if nothing were to change? May as well be as fixed as Fiat in that case
I believe the only reason the miners haven't decided to implement a change is that they are dependent on the libertarian fart-huffers to cash out.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

I always thought this was ridiculous as well. So... what if some guy with a lot of money bought most of the bitcoins? How does that help the person in Africa facing absurd transaction fees [*cough* when they are now facing absurd mining fees]?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nessus posted:

You also seem to remove the possibility of being made whole if there are legitimate errors. I once had a cashier fat-finger something so that my lunch cost $775 instead of $7.75; it was reversed within two days. It would have been better if it could have been undone within two hours. Under most blockchain systems I believe it could not be undone at all, because there is nobody to whom I could appeal.

I once fat fingered an $800 dollar tip on a top of a $400 meal. And it happily went through the machine without the waitress or myself noticed. I was on my way out the door when she came running to catch me. They refunded me then and there. Good system. Obviously it would have been improved if we'd both had to pay an unrefundable $60 each just to get the transaction through and then had to sit in the restaurant after they were closing and cleaning up waiting for it to clear.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

DIGITAL GOLD

lmao

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Illuminti posted:

I once fat fingered an $800 dollar tip on a top of a $400 meal. And it happily went through the machine without the waitress or myself noticed. I was on my way out the door when she came running to catch me. They refunded me then and there. Good system. Obviously it would have been improved if we'd both had to pay an unrefundable $60 each just to get the transaction through and then had to sit in the restaurant after they were closing and cleaning up waiting for it to clear.

Yes but AMEX made 50 cents on that transaction you did (paid by the restaurant and not you) and you don't want filthy finance companies to make money right? It's totally worth spending 4 hours waiting to make sure that dirty corp doesn't get their 50 cent cut. You also did not take advantage of the no charge-backs feature of the blockchain and reversed the transaction which is BAD!

Instead, your generous $60 tip could have went to a mining operation in China and paid for cheap coal provided electricity that further polluted the local environment and progressed global warming. Great job.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 13, 2018

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

DIGITAL GOLD

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Imaging living your life where a single small mistake (in opening wrong email, going to wrong site, downloading infected software, not running latest firewall, not running latest A/V, accidentally connecting to exposed public WiFi, etc.) can wipe out all your life savings in a second with no way to recover them. Exactly like investing into gold.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rad Russian posted:

Imaging living your life where a single small mistake (in opening wrong email, going to wrong site, downloading infected software, not running latest firewall, not running latest A/V, accidentally connecting to exposed public WiFi, etc.) can wipe out all your life savings in a second with no way to recover them. Exactly like investing into gold.

Life savings... 1.7 bitcoin... poor?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Oh no my life is going to be very difficult now that the money I had tied up in a volatile non-usable “currency” is now gone. How am I doing to eat / pay rent / etc???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aliens are watching us waste resources in order to make digital numbers go up because most of the planet is lovely for most people except for a very very very very select few who live more opulently than anyone else in human history ever has ever and they are lolling.