Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captainicus posted:

On a lighter note about Djikstra, here's something I always find it amusing to recall. When you are speaking with Triss on the dock after her quests and the witch hunters show up (I think I remember it was witch hunters, anyway...), he says he is such a fan of you lovebirds and fights with you with a goddamn battle axe. Certainly not something I'd think a crippled spymaster would do :allears:

For all his talk about how he's no good in a fight since his leg was busted, Djikstra was apparently a loving juggernaut in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It’s cause he’s like 7 foot tall and built like a brick shithouse (filled with lard and poo poo).

My favourite bit of the game is making Geralt take so many drugs that his face goes all veiny and weird and then having heartfelt conversations with friends while looking like a freak. Never gets old.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lobok posted:

So did Stalin.

Stalin was good. :ssh:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

Djikstra taking over modernizes Temeria, thwarts Emhyr, and halts the pogroms and regressive policies of King Radovid. The major downside mentioned by the ending slide is that he often acts against the wants of his people, which is standard for the Witcherverse's lovely feudal society anyway. Even idyllic fantasyland Beauclair's monarch doesn't give much of a flip for the common folk.

He's the most trustworthy of all the super-untrustworthy wannabe statesmen Geralt encounters if only because he's straightforward about his motivations - he doesn't rebel against Radovid because he thinks the man's rule is cruel or unjust, it's because he thinks it's amateur, and a properly run, progressive state is more likely to endure. Letting him walk (or limp) is the best political option in the game short of coronating Ciri, but I've never done it personally because Geralt historically has little patience with people whose grand societal designs involve loving over his friends.

Dijkstra is definitely the best choice for Temeria, but it's really hard for me to throw Roche under the bus considering how much he helped you in the past.

Hell, he helps you even if you ditch him for the Scoia'tael at the end of the first act in TW2. If you do that and then let him die at the end of TW3, I bet his final thoughts would be "Man, I really shouldn't have trusted this rear end in a top hat."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Halser posted:

Dijkstra is definitely the best choice for Temeria, but it's really hard for me to throw Roche under the bus considering how much he helped you in the past.

Hell, he helps you even if you ditch him for the Scoia'tael at the end of the first act in TW2. If you do that and then let him die at the end of TW3, I bet his final thoughts would be "Man, I really shouldn't have trusted this rear end in a top hat."

This. Roche is the best bro.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Roche probably expected Geralt to betray him from day 1. Their very first interaction was Roche trying to shake Geralt's hand cause he forgot he was handcuffed, and he got a hearty "gently caress you" for it, even though a sarcastic "very funny" would clearly have been more appropriate.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just finished Bald Mountain on my Death March save, took me a few attempts to win that final fight although I felt like it was more frustratingly finicky as opposed to genuinely tough, if that makes sense?

I’m assuming the next quest (had to save and quit for the day) is where all the tough choices that effect the ending happen prior to the final missions? :ohdear:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Just finished Bald Mountain on my Death March save, took me a few attempts to win that final fight although I felt like it was more frustratingly finicky as opposed to genuinely tough, if that makes sense?

I’m assuming the next quest (had to save and quit for the day) is where all the tough choices that effect the ending happen prior to the final missions? :ohdear:

You've already had a couple ending-determining decisions, and there's more to come, but they're not all in a big block all at once.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There are 5 Choices that determine which ending you get, 3 or more in one way and you're settled. They're not very obvious and neither are the correct answers and they are also spread around and not shot at you all at once.

There are also little variations here and there all over the game that slightly modify how some characters end, but Geralt & Ciri's ending situation is mostly from those Choices.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Roche probably expected Geralt to betray him from day 1. Their very first interaction was Roche trying to shake Geralt's hand cause he forgot he was handcuffed, and he got a hearty "gently caress you" for it, even though a sarcastic "very funny" would clearly have been more appropriate.

God I loved the first prison scene in W2. When I found out you could actually die and get a game over in that conversation it blew my mind

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Choosing Iorveth or Roche path is still the hardest decision to make in a videogame. I was in the tank for like five minutes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't even notice the choice when I played the game, the whole situation was so hectic

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Update: I think I am almost done with Velen. Thoughts:

The Crones
I killed the Ghost in the Tree since I had previously found the book She Who Knows and it pretty much outright stated that the spirit was much, much worse than the Crones. That said I am also wondering if that book might be propaganda put out by the witches to scare anyone from freeing the Ghost in the Tree. On the other hand I suppose if it was then you wouldn't have the ground around the spirit literally piled high with bones and werewolves. Not sure on that one though, cause the Crones are pretty loving horrific and my decision led to a bunch of kids getting eaten. Not sure how I feel about this one overall but I think I did the lesser of two evils here. I'm hoping that I can come back and kill the crones, since if they are a lesser evil it is by infinitesimally small degrees. Also poor Anna, but at least the Baron seems determined to save her, which brings us to....

The Bloody Baron/Family Matters
Good God, what a trip. I still have to meet the Baron to help him save Anna but wow. Bloody Baron is a shitbag but everyone else is more or less as well. Tamara is apparently becoming a witch hunter in a storm of teenage angst, Anna made a deal with the Crones. I'm almost positive she could've gone to Keira "gently caress this Shithole" Metz and gotten an abortive potion, but hey I suppose sometime you gotta take it straight to 11 and make deals with ancient, evil powers. I gotta hand it to Philip though, dude might be a drunkard wife beater but he was a stand up guy to Ciri and that's worth the world to Geralt in my book. I'll be helping him get Anna back even if I think it's a massive mistake on numerous fronts.

Gwent
This is a fun card game! Much, much, much better than Dice in Witcher 2, and slightly better than Dice in Witcher 1. I almost have my Nilfgaard deck big enough to play with too!

Reardon Manor
Hooray Letho is back! Sad to see that life has been unkind to him and that Emhyr went back on his word. I helped him out and let him fake his death, then told him to go hang out at Kaer Morhen. I hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end but you gotta stick together on the path, right?

Pig Hut
Saved the peasants and told the village idiot to get out before he got beaten to death. Glad to have helped here.

Shrieker
Christ that was a hard fight.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Omnicarus posted:

The Crones
I killed the Ghost in the Tree since I had previously found the book She Who Knows and it pretty much outright stated that the spirit was much, much worse than the Crones. That said I am also wondering if that book might be propaganda put out by the witches to scare anyone from freeing the Ghost in the Tree. On the other hand I suppose if it was then you wouldn't have the ground around the spirit literally piled high with bones and werewolves. Not sure on that one though, cause the Crones are pretty loving horrific and my decision led to a bunch of kids getting eaten. Not sure how I feel about this one overall but I think I did the lesser of two evils here. I'm hoping that I can come back and kill the crones, since if they are a lesser evil it is by infinitesimally small degrees. Also poor Anna, but at least the Baron seems determined to save her, which brings us to....

The Bloody Baron/Family Matters
Good God, what a trip. I still have to meet the Baron to help him save Anna but wow. Bloody Baron is a shitbag but everyone else is more or less as well. Tamara is apparently becoming a witch hunter in a storm of teenage angst, Anna made a deal with the Crones. I'm almost positive she could've gone to Keira "gently caress this Shithole" Metz and gotten an abortive potion, but hey I suppose sometime you gotta take it straight to 11 and make deals with ancient, evil powers. I gotta hand it to Philip though, dude might be a drunkard wife beater but he was a stand up guy to Ciri and that's worth the world to Geralt in my book. I'll be helping him get Anna back even if I think it's a massive mistake on numerous fronts.

That book is totally propaganda, but that doesn't mean the tree spirit isn't evil. There's (IIRC) no consensus at all on what's the better choice there, and at least personally I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.

I think it's mentioned that Anna doesn't trust newcomers, specifically in the context of Keira. That distrust definitely bit her in the rear end here.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lost another one to gwent-tech...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Omnicarus posted:

The Crones

Reardon Manor
Hooray Letho is back! Sad to see that life has been unkind to him and that Emhyr went back on his word. I helped him out and let him fake his death, then told him to go hang out at Kaer Morhen. I hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end but you gotta stick together on the path, right?

You did about as good as it gets.

(spoiler only for those quests:)
Did you not intervene when Letho was attacked? I always have, and he's slightly mad, but it doesn't affect much.

If you get the option to send someone to Kaer Morhen, that's always good. It comes up later.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloody Baron is just perfection in terms of the art of rpg quest crafting. Every single interaction you have with him changes your opinion and understanding of him just a little bit and all the options at the end of the quest feel legitimate and justified.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I especially like how it's shown that while he's not the greatest ruler he's still better than a lot of alternatives, including his own sergeant. It's hard to really hate on the Baron when the rest of the world is the way it is. It's also cool how each member of the family makes a deal with their own devil. Baron to Emhyr, the wife to the crones, and the daughter to the witch hunters.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I was reminded how good the A Night To Remember trailer was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7kqc7th0A

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think it's actually a weakness in the game that the Bloody Baron questline is so good because you go from the game's highest peak in storytelling to playing the world's longest game of grabass in Novigrad right after.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

eating only apples posted:

I was reminded how good the A Night To Remember trailer was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7kqc7th0A

that trailer was released before the base game came out

given that trailer and the fact that Gaunter O'Dimm shows up right away in the White Orchard tavern, it's clear CDPR had at least the broad strokes of the DLCs planned before releasing the base game.

CDPR might be as lovely and exploitative of their workers as other game devs, which isn't cool, but they are definitely really good at game development. W3 had only a few significant bugs and nothing really game-breaking at launch, they delivered a lot of free DLC, and clearly had the paid DLCs planned out well in advance.

1stGear posted:

I think it's actually a weakness in the game that the Bloody Baron questline is so good because you go from the game's highest peak in storytelling to playing the world's longest game of grabass in Novigrad right after.

That's why I generally encourage new players to check out Skellige ASAP and pace their Novigrad questing with Velen and Skellige. Novigrad is really good, it's just paced much differently than the rest of the game and basically has you running around talking to people with sparse and uninteresting combat.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 13, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pellisworth posted:

that trailer was released before the base game came out

given that trailer and the fact that Gaunter O'Dimm shows up right away in the White Orchard tavern, it's clear CDPR had at least the broad strokes of the DLCs planned before releasing the base game.

CDPR might be as lovely and exploitative of their workers as other game devs, which isn't cool, but they are definitely really good at game development. W3 had only a few significant bugs and nothing really game-breaking, they delivered a lot of free DLC, and clearly had the paid DLCs planned out well in advance.

yup. the Gaunter O'Dimm thing really shook me when he showed up again. Is it when you have Heart of Stone alone installed that the first menu screen has that song and the bruxa in the background?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

yup. the Gaunter O'Dimm thing really shook me when he showed up again. Is it when you have Heart of Stone alone installed that the first menu screen has that song and the bruxa in the background?

I think that's only with B&W installed, if you're referring to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo2ORdMU-SA

the bruxa is Orianna from B&W

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 13, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pellisworth posted:

I think that's only with B&W installed, if you're referring to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo2ORdMU-SA

Yeah, I was mistaken about which of the DLCs she appears in - it's Blood and Wine. I don't how how you get the main menu to show the barn and her in the background, because I don't recall mine doing so (on Ps4 with all dlc).

e: it is a stretch to say that a redhaired vampire lady that Geralt perhaps met before means that CDPR planned the dlc so diligently. it's easy enough to insert such a vague character later. It's a really, really good trailer. O'Dimm may be different...

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah, I was mistaken about which of the DLCs she appears in - it's Blood and Wine. I don't how how you get the main menu to show the barn and her in the background, because I don't recall mine doing so (on Ps4 with all dlc).

e: it is a stretch to say that a redhaired vampire lady that Geralt perhaps met before means that CDPR planned the dlc so diligently. it's easy enough to insert such a vague character later. It's a really, really good trailer. O'Dimm may be different...

sorry I edited my previous post a bit late, but the bruxa in the cinematic trailer is Orianna from B&W

there's a bit of a mismatch between the trailer and her actual character in B&W but the trailer is clearly set in Toussaint, so they planned the second DLC to be Toussaint before the launch of the base game

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pellisworth posted:

sorry I edited my previous post a bit late, but the bruxa in the cinematic trailer is Orianna from B&W

Yes, I know. He kills her in that trailer, so it happens post-B&W. Did CDPR plan her to be that character, or did they create that character to fit the prerelease trailer? Cool if the first, slightly less cool but still cool if the second. I'd argue the former, as there's endings where Geralt doesn't make it so far, but he does have time to do so.

e: caught your edit - does the trailer say Toussaint to you? she has a welsh accent and the location looks generic farmlands to me. I don't recognise the skyline though.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yes, I know. He kills her in that trailer, so it happens post-B&W. Did CDPR plan her to be that character, or did they create that character to fit the prerelease trailer? Cool if the first, slightly less cool but still cool if the second. I'd argue the former, as there's endings where Geralt doesn't make it so far, but he does have time to do so.

e: caught your edit - does the trailer say Toussaint to you? she has a welsh accent and the location looks generic farmlands to me. I don't recognise the skyline though.

I'm not sure. The backdrop looks like Beauclair to me but could be generic farmtown.

Still, it's an attention to detail which is often glossed over in most RPGs nowadays.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure. The backdrop looks like Beauclair to me but could be generic farmtown.

Still, it's an attention to detail which is often glossed over in most RPGs nowadays.

Yeah either way it's super fuckin neat!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mine has it on the menu screen on PS4 with all DLC installed as default. Maybe it came in after a patch?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
When Geralt finds out she does to children he mentions coming back to finish the job which was a strong enough implication to me. It would go down the same way as the cellar fight and it'd dilute the epilogue of Geralt catching a break for once.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Watch the trailer until the very end, when Geralt rides back to a Beauclair.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Half the voice acting in the game is Welsh or overcooked Bristollian.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Staltran posted:

That book is totally propaganda, but that doesn't mean the tree spirit isn't evil. There's (IIRC) no consensus at all on what's the better choice there, and at least personally I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.

I think it's mentioned that Anna doesn't trust newcomers, specifically in the context of Keira. That distrust definitely bit her in the rear end here.

It's mentioned way in the endgame by Avalach that there was a Velen circle of druids, which contradicts Geralt's earlier doubts about the spirit belonging to one. So I assume it's not evil, just taking its revenge on those who wronged it. But I always sequence break so there are literally no ill consequences to the townsfolk, the children or Anna.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Party like a Nilfgaardian.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like how you can have Gaunter O'Dimm literally tell you how to get the best ending for Ciri.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Should I play this game with Ghost mode, FCR3, or some other mod. I love this game but the lack of balance in character options (lol late game sign skills) bugs me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

Should I play this game with Ghost mode, FCR3, or some other mod. I love this game but the lack of balance in character options (lol late game sign skills) bugs me.

Ghost Mode fixes the late sign skills and also stuff like the bleed skill that in vanilla does lovely flat damage instead of %HP. It's a good mod and highly customizable.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ghost Mode all the way. The list of reasons is too large to put here, read the docs. But mainly because of your second sentence.

I played TW3 twice when it was released and gave up when the gameplay because silly around level 10-12, including Death March. It just became boring to play after a while, gripping as the narrative was. I played GM through the base game and DLCs and was never bored.

GM is pretty much the gold standard for taking a game and improving gameplay while staying true to the original as much as possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Delacroix posted:

When Geralt finds out she does to children he mentions coming back to finish the job which was a strong enough implication to me. It would go down the same way as the cellar fight and it'd dilute the epilogue of Geralt catching a break for once.

Cellar fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's mentioned way in the endgame by Avalach that there was a Velen circle of druids, which contradicts Geralt's earlier doubts about the spirit belonging to one. So I assume it's not evil, just taking its revenge on those who wronged it. But I always sequence break so there are literally no ill consequences to the townsfolk, the children or Anna.

The spirit still claims to have been a human, but the skeleton... isn't. No way to know though.