Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If the G man can get you to worship him by flooding the world or turning towns into salt then I don’t see the harm in a little fire and relocation between friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What types of non-autocratic governmental structures existed outside of Europe in antiquity?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

What types of non-autocratic governmental structures existed outside of Europe in antiquity?

Various peaceful and democratic libertarian societies, which were eventually crushed by statist tyranny.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
That's one hell of a take on tribal societies.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Atlantis, located in the Bolivian highlands had a benevolent and enlightened rulership by philosophers...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

unwantedplatypus posted:

I was gonna say the Iroqouis, but the confederation likely wasn't founded till the 1400's

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unwantedplatypus posted:

There were a number of states in India in the 6th and 5th centuries BCE called ganasanghas or ganarajya, that seem to have been republics or oligarchies rather like Greek or Phoenician city states. They were clearly not monarchies, since there were several kingdoms existing alongside them. Doesn't sound like that form of governance survived later than the 4th century BCE when large empires formed in India, though. It's all kingdoms after that, all the way to 1947.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Yeezus of Nazareth

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kassad posted:

There were a number of states in India in the 6th and 5th centuries BCE called ganasanghas or ganarajya, that seem to have been republics or oligarchies rather like Greek or Phoenician city states. They were clearly not monarchies, since there were several kingdoms existing alongside them. Doesn't sound like that form of governance survived later than the 4th century BCE when large empires formed in India, though. It's all kingdoms after that, all the way to 1947.

parts of the Maratha Confederacy were also quasi-oligarchical but I'm not sure I can actually say it wasn't a monarchy at the time, it's not like there aren't tons of other nominal kingdoms in history that were in practice run during one reign or another by bureaucrats and/or noble councils, and authority theoretically still derived from the overlord.

edit also the Maratha weren't exactly antiquity, whoops :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 12, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Icelandic Commonwealth was basically the closest to an anarcho-capitalist "state" humanity has ever gotten, and is arguably outside of Europe. That's not "antiquity" so much as "Middle Ages" though.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The all thing started in 930 and its the coolest sounding parliament ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also the rock the Althing met on was the division between the Eurasian and North American plates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mention this because we're reading the Saga of Burned Njal in book barn this month come join

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845840

(shameless plug!)

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

From what I've read about society on medieval Iceland it was similar to the mafia if anything, with a sort of client system, prestige which largely depended on wealth and meant power (including political), honour killings, blood feuds and some laws (but enforcing those laws generally fell upon the injured party and their family.) Whenever I read about places like Albania and parts of the Caucasus with their clans and blood feuds I'm struck by the similarities to the medieval Icelanders (and Norse in general I suppose.) Incredibly fascinating, I might join in the reading of that saga. I love the terse and matter-of-factly way those sagas have of expressing things.

I also the Saga of Gisli, an outlaw who survives for years on the run, there's even a faithful and pretty decent film based on it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Book of the month is a great thread and everyone should join in.

The introduction to my version of Njal saga warns that the constant references in the work to the very real, and mostly still present, locations in Iceland, can tempt the reader into too much credulity regarding its narrative, but it's at least grounded in some real events, and is cool a.f.

Edit: and the link in the OP about learning the old Icelandic has an introduction to the historical and cultural foundations of the work, so even MORE history.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grevling posted:

From what I've read about society on medieval Iceland it was similar to the mafia if anything, with a sort of client system, prestige which largely depended on wealth and meant power (including political), honour killings, blood feuds and some laws (but enforcing those laws generally fell upon the injured party and their family.) Whenever I read about places like Albania and parts of the Caucasus with their clans and blood feuds I'm struck by the similarities to the medieval Icelanders (and Norse in general I suppose.) Incredibly fascinating, I might join in the reading of that saga. I love the terse and matter-of-factly way those sagas have of expressing things.

I also the Saga of Gisli, an outlaw who survives for years on the run, there's even a faithful and pretty decent film based on it.

There's a story about a couple of norwegian merchants who visited Iceland, they got drunk and chopped off someone's hand. The relatives of the newly amputated man demanded that the merchants should pay for this with gold which the merchants denied to do. The relatives then asked which of the merchants that had the highest status so that they could chop off his hand instead of paying the gold. The merchants then quickly coughed up the gold and left Iceland.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
That's just like the wergild, that's hardly something unique to iceland.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CountFosco posted:

That's just like the wergild, that's hardly something unique to iceland.

Nor a thing of the past. Albania has still severe problems with blood feuds and a form of wergeld is one form to end decades of murder.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main unique thing about Iceland, aside from being incredibly isolated and not very valuable to conquer, is the fact that it had an almost embarrassing literacy rate.

I mean, kudos for you for your scholarship, but it does kinda feel like they have nothing better to do.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The main unique thing about Iceland, aside from being incredibly isolated and not very valuable to conquer, is the fact that it had an almost embarrassing literacy rate.

I mean, kudos for you for your scholarship, but it does kinda feel like they have nothing better to do.

How does someone figure out pre-modern literacy rates?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Decius posted:

Nor a thing of the past. Albania has still severe problems with blood feuds and a form of wergeld is one form to end decades of murder.

So does Iraq. In 2003 an average male adult's life was worth about $1500 USD.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Elyv posted:

Search gravesites for bifocals and pocket protectors

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Turns out German(ic)s have been way into board games for much longer than I thought.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Elyv posted:

Graffiti full of swears = literate population.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

weather's bad up there

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Good video in a similar vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looks like there's an online version of that, if you want to play a 4500 year old board game:

https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

Looks like there's an online version of that, if you want to play a 4500 year old board game:

How could the answer to "do you want to play a 4500 year old board game" ever be "no"

(answer: if you're sober, most ancient world games seem intended to be drunken gambling games)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I'd be more surprised if anyone hasn't been murdered in a rage over this game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So, the Mongols. Would they have been able to conquer Europe all the way to the Atlantic if they had tried?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

I think I'd be more surprised if anyone hasn't been murdered in a rage over this game.

It's actually a really really cleverly designed game. Makes sense, non-clever games don't last for thousands of years. Just enough randomness that you can gamble over it without just always betting on the better player, simple enough that you can be kind of okay at it even when drunk, but with enough tactical depth the AI can trounce me repeatedly on this little app

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, the Mongols. Would they have been able to conquer Europe all the way to the Atlantic if they had tried?

I read somewhere that the kind of bow they used falls apart in extended periods of high humidity and that they would have had at the very least to adapt to that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They did try, Batu stated outright that he intended to do this and it’s conceivable he would have succeeded had he persisted in it, but he didn’t. It was reasonably tough and unrenumerative campaigning due to the climate and high number of fortifications in Central Europe and he was distracted from it by the infighting following Ogedei’s death, which is understandable since that was a good bit more personally important to him than conquering new territories. When Möngke finally attained supreme power and Batu had a free hand to continue, he promptly died. Subsequent Mongol leaders didn’t have the interest or power to campaign on the same scale.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elyv posted:

You really can't with any certainty, it's a lot of guesswork. It's harder the further back you go, as you have less and less written material. Basically what you do is look at:

How much written material is there?
What types do you have?
What's the audience for it?
Who wrote it?

Then you extrapolate. If there's not a lot of written material and it's all written by scribes aimed for the top stratum of society, you can guess literacy is low. This is the situation in the Middle Ages. If there's a ton of written stuff and you have examples from normal people, and a decent amount of the material appears to be aimed at the average citizen, you can guess literacy is relatively high. That's why people like me think Roman urban literacy was relatively high, you find people scratching "Gaius hosed his sister" in the wall of bathrooms and text advertisements for products and stuff like that for and from a non-elite audience.

After extrapolating, you argue endlessly with other historians.

I don't know anything about Icelandic literacy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How could the answer to "do you want to play a 4500 year old board game" ever be "no"

(answer: if you're sober, most ancient world games seem intended to be drunken gambling games)

excuse me but kottabos is a game for gentlemen, a sort of proto beer pong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

You really can't with any certainty, it's a lot of guesswork. It's harder the further back you go, as you have less and less written material. Basically what you do is look at:

How much written material is there?
What types do you have?
What's the audience for it?
Who wrote it?

Then you extrapolate. If there's not a lot of written material and it's all written by scribes aimed for the top stratum of society, you can guess literacy is low. This is the situation in the Middle Ages. If there's a ton of written stuff and you have examples from normal people, and a decent amount of the material appears to be aimed at the average citizen, you can guess literacy is relatively high. That's why people like me think Roman urban literacy was relatively high, you find people scratching "Gaius hosed his sister" in the wall of bathrooms and text advertisements for products and stuff like that for and from a non-elite audience.

After extrapolating, you argue endlessly with other historians.

I don't know anything about Icelandic literacy.

Is there an argument to be made for some people being half-literate, i.e. able to read and write a few specific things? I'm thinking of how a random member of the Veringian guard was able to carve "Halfdan was here" into a railing at the Hagia Sophia, which seems like it would indicate a higher degree of literacy than I'd expect, but it's not a very complicated phrase and could be learned rote as a thing the cool kids are doing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's actually a really really cleverly designed game. Makes sense, non-clever games don't last for thousands of years. Just enough randomness that you can gamble over it without just always betting on the better player, simple enough that you can be kind of okay at it even when drunk, but with enough tactical depth the AI can trounce me repeatedly on this little app

that's okay there's not even a 'you're winner'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there an argument to be made for some people being half-literate, i.e. able to read and write a few specific things? I'm thinking of how a random member of the Veringian guard was able to carve "Halfdan was here" into a railing at the Hagia Sophia, which seems like it would indicate a higher degree of literacy than I'd expect, but it's not a very complicated phrase and could be learned rote as a thing the cool kids are doing.

It's likely a lot of literate people had limited literacy, but there's no way at all to determine that from the evidence. I don't mean memorized phrases but like a fourth grade reading level or whatever.

I actually would expect the Varangian Guard to be literate, since they were mostly sons of Norse elites and we know from evidence that people like centurions had to be literate, so someone in a position like that probably would need to be able to read.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Fromage posted:

I actually would expect the Varangian Guard to be literate, since they were mostly sons of Norse elites and we know from evidence that people like centurions had to be literate, so someone in a position like that probably would need to be able to read.
i have several trial documents where everyone on the tribunal signed their names. these include common soldiers. i also have payrolls where most people signed off on their pay.

and because of the way pens worked back then i can tell that it wasn't just someone who had barely idea how a pen worked scrawling the letters on something, most of these people knew the proper movements of your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I sometimes wonder if we overestimate how illiterate past people were simply because most of the material they would've written on doesn't survive in the archaeological record and wasn't going to be preserved by copies. It's not like learning an alphabet is a huge task to surmount, the whole reason they became popular is they're simple.