Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Probably Magic posted:

Even in high school when I was forced to read Anthem, I knew it was bullshit and was kinda horrified the entire time I read it.

Of course, I can't brag too much because I was reading the Economist and it was secretly poisoning my high school brain.

I remember reading Anthem and liking it a lot.

But then again that was a time in high school when I got super into dystopia novels. I think in less than a month I read 1984, Anthem, Brave New World, A Handmaid's Tale, and We.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Favorite book fair memory: At one at the start of 6th grade, I found a paperback copy of Black Hawk Down a few months before the movie came out. It turned into a regular part of my school reading rotation and that copy eventually fell apart during high school. Same goes for my original copy of Red Storm Rising.

And on the subject of high school literature, I was thrown out of AP English because the teacher didn't know how to handle the fact that I'd already read or knew most of the material. It's hard to play the "Infer what happens next" bullshit when you already know how Of Mice and Men (Or Anthem, or the Odyssey, I think we did all those) ends, so she punted me to a regular English class so she didn't have to adjust her lessons. Florida public schools, y'all! :thumbsup:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MarkTamayoKTVU/status/951696123395112960

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I read Anthem in middle school and liked it

It was middle school so all the Rand-isms flew right over my head

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The only Ayn Rand I've read is Galtse.txt

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hifi posted:

i made scallops. i had 1 1/2 lbs so i did em in 2 batches, the first came out great and the second picked up too much of the burned on crap from the last one so they aren't golden brown pretty. they taste great though. made some spaghetti and tossed it in butter that i cooked some garlic in, and some frozen peas in a steamer bag

nhl goalies have this or some other problem with their hips because apparently that joint doesn't get great bloodflow

the doc said I'm lucky i'm not fat because otherwise I might not have the range of motion that I do and I would probably need full time walking assistance. Like two or three times as we're going through MRIs of my hips and knee he would say "good thing you're thin" or something similar.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’ve read Atlas Shrugged which has all the literary value of harlequin romance novel, and in fact is one. The secret lover is unbridled capitalism.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if you need a 100 page monologue to explain your book, it's a poo poo book

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, a common thing to do is to put what someone said in quote marks, and then attribute it to them properly by putting their name after? So all the shown clip is purporting to do is quote the doctor, so spelling his name wrong in no way implies the quote is fabricated?

I'm all for the idea that no matter what the medical results actually are, the white house is going to insist they're fantastic and totally clean: but this is a totally stupid and meaningless criticism of a quote. The quotation marks show that this is a second party repeating what the doctor said, it's not pretending to be the doctor's own press release.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Ocho has his own cigar website lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think this is easier to do with music than it is with literature though. That said the band Paul Ryan didn't understand is literally called Rage Against the Machine, it's not exactly subtle.

Speaking of satire, I loved this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2018/01/12/the-day-donald-trump-first-became-a-stable-genius/?utm_term=.e280b850a536

Flowers for Trump

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

piss tape israel posted:

In hindsight I really loving hated Honors English
It was a mixture for me, I hated Scarlet Letter, Ethan Frome, but I loved reading Huck Finn (Mark Twain is just amazing in how ahead of his time he was and still is), Animal Farm, Ordinary People, Catcher in the Rye (more from where I was as a depressed teenager), and Fahrenheit 451.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Of Mice and Men really hit me back in 11th grade. The movie was pretty good too.

Reading Great Expectations in 9th grade was also one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've ever had. I don't know why.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of Mice and Men really hit me back in 11th grade. The movie was pretty good too.

Reading Great Expectations in 9th grade was also one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've ever had. I don't know why.

I remember reading Of Mice and Men then having the realization all those Bugs Bunny cartoons were making fun of Lennie and I thought that was hosed up.

FUUUUUUUCK my favorite bakery closed down. Those poor ladies, they were so nice and had amazing food. I'm so bummed for them.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2018

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Alaois posted:

Fun Fact: nobody in the world has ever actually read Gravity's Rainbow

I've read it twice bc I genuinely enjoy reading Pynchon

Favorite books:

Siddhartha is my very favorite bc its elegance is in its simplicity. It is the perfect "less is more" book imo.

I also really liked:

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
Dead Souls by Gogol
I genuinely enjoyed the black humor of American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis. It was laugh out loud funny, to me
Foucault's Pendulum by Ecco by I love semiotics
The Satanic Verses by Rushdie

I know those are some super pretentious favorites but I should say that I also loved a lot of Stephen King books, loved the Shogun series, and also the eternally stupid Song of Ice and Fire and think Gaiman's Sandman is the best thing I've ever read apart from Siddhartha, so I'm gay as hell as any goon. I just love to read.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Having said that, Animorphs owns. Meanwhile, I've never liked Harry Potter and probably never will.
I never really liked Harry Potter, but Rick Riordan's books (Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus, etc) I love all of them even if they are considered HP ripoffs, which I feel is unfair since I feel more growth and maturity with how each series progresses over Harry Potter. The biggest crime they pull is that Rick Riordan loves to do dad joke pop culture references, he makes up for it by being a much better person than Rowling is though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Chilaquiles are one of God's greatest creations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
One of my uncles that I was really close to growing up is likely dying tonight :smith:

He had a heart attack a few years ago and choked on a lot of vomit and never really recovered. He had surgery to help his vocal chords a week ago, but this week it was discovered that he had 15 lbs of fluid in his lungs and he has had to be on 80+ % oxygen (if my mom is to be believed from likely my aunt's info). He's in hospice and probably has only a few hours left.

He was a good, funny dude.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Chilaquiles are one of God's greatest creations.

I know you're from california so don't put any drat french fries on it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I know those are some super pretentious favorites but I should say that I also loved a lot of Stephen King books, loved the Shogun series, and also the eternally stupid Song of Ice and Fire and think Gaiman's Sandman is the best thing I've ever read apart from Siddhartha, so I'm gay as hell as any goon. I just love to read.
Yeah the Sandman is great even if the art gets kind of poo poo by the end, so many great side characters; I think my favorite story in that series is the retelling of Emperor Norton II which has one of the greatest :unsmith: endings of all time

Emperor Norton II would be 10000x the leader than most presidents in this godforsaken country

Hot Diggity! posted:

One of my uncles that I was really close to growing up is likely dying tonight :smith:

He had a heart attack a few years ago and choked on a lot of vomit and never really recovered. He had surgery to help his vocal chords a week ago, but this week it was discovered that he had 15 lbs of fluid in his lungs and he has had to be on 80+ % oxygen (if my mom is to be believed from likely my aunt's info). He's in hospice and probably has only a few hours left.

I'm sorry to hear that and sorry for your loss :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hifi posted:

I know you're from california so don't put any drat french fries on it

Who the gently caress puts french fries in chilaquiles and where can I sign up to punch them?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm sorry

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Sorry about your uncle, bud :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hot Diggity! posted:

Goddamn dude I'm sorry.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Hot Diggity! posted:

Sorry to hear, my dude. Condolences to you and your family.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alaois posted:

Fun Fact: nobody in the world has ever actually read Gravity's Rainbow

this is true. i made it to something like page 60 and had no clue what the gently caress was going on and quit.

Hot Diggity! posted:

oh poo poo man, i'm so sorry. :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Actually now that I think about it my favorite stories in High School were either "By the Waters of Babylon"
http://www.tkinter.smig.net/Outings/RosemountGhosts/Babylon.htm
Which is really interested in that it describes a Falloutesque Nuclear Post-Post Apocalypse despite being written in the 1930s

And Ray Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains" which has a really depressing Soviet Animation adaptation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Who the gently caress puts french fries in chilaquiles and where can I sign up to punch them?

hifi gets super triggered about California burritos

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just got Conductor of Souls from the Anubis Boss battle in AC Origins and it’s so overpowered it’s not even funny

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Devilman Crybaby was cool when it was mindless violence but the back half seems to be attempting to say something about how it's actually not cool to be prejudiced against murderous monsters. That's dumb.

Anyway, shoutout to all my Redwall peeps in the thread. Martin died for our sins.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Favorite books as a kid were Boxcar Children and Encyclopedia Brown, shifting over to Redwall as I got older, and then discovering more nerdy poo poo as I aged, the usual sci-fi/fantasy tour for high schoolers. I won’t pretend it’s a great book, but special shout out to the Monkey Wrench Gang as my favorite book as a teenager, it definitely helped inspire some of my better traits at that age.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm sorry man.

The hospital where I work has a hospice wing called Solace. I'm not oriented to it but every now and then we'll get text messages like "we need a cna sitter tonight" or whatever. just for someone that still has enough strength to pull themselves out of bed, generally.

On my way back from my grad school interview i got one for a kid :smith:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Thanks everyone. I haven't been in touch with him for a while, so it sucks that I'm not even going to be able to give him a real goodbye. Hopefully I can make the funeral.

His lungs were shredded because of how much vomit he choked on. A guy that used to run marathons deep into his 60's could barely walk a few steps without being out of breath. Bodies suck.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

kiimo posted:

I read a lot of Garfield at 80s book fairs when I was a kid, too. I'm not sure what age I was when I realized it was garbage but I jumped from Garfield to Calvin and Hobbes to Bloom County pretty quick if I remember right.

Also shout out to Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing.

Holy poo poo almost identically this except from C + H....

I went to Dilbert 🤮

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this jesuit priest is a pro twitter follow

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/951998649709547522

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I've read it twice bc I genuinely enjoy reading Pynchon

Favorite books:

Siddhartha is my very favorite bc its elegance is in its simplicity. It is the perfect "less is more" book imo.

I also really liked:

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
Dead Souls by Gogol
I genuinely enjoyed the black humor of American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis. It was laugh out loud funny, to me
Foucault's Pendulum by Ecco by I love semiotics
The Satanic Verses by Rushdie

Dude. We might actually be related

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I read everything Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote. His son's books were amazing too, although he sort of demystified his dad a little.

Catch 22 is in an immortal fistfight with Slaughterhouse 5 for the best book ever written.

Everyone should read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Once.

If you miss any of those authors I just listed please read ANYTHING by George Saunders. He's funny, brilliant, and another secular humanist

George Saunders will be read in English classes 100 years from now if we're not all radioactive ash. Please read this article about him.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/magazine/george-saunders-just-wrote-the-best-book-youll-read-this-year.html?pagewanted=all&

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm glad the Jesuits are still cool after Pope Francis decided to bring back indulgences if you walk for March for Life. God I hate how abortion has totally broken Catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesuits passing judgement on anyone... bunch of anti semetic, gay hating paedophile cunts.