Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Everyone making fun of this picture is incapable of appreciating the art of filmmaking.

I mean, just look at how this shot was framed: the lack of depth echoes the state of the game. As does the complete absence of any sense of perspective (is the man in the foreground enormous and Erin very small? Your eye cannot reveal the truth: you can only trust your heart!). And then there's the way that vague impressions of exciting imaginary space combat scenes exist all around, and the subtle clue hidden in the way the logo for Star Citizen is halfway out of the shot as if it has been caught trying to sneak out while no one was looking.

And then there's the acting! Erin's entire skeleton is slumping, taking on the appearance of an abandoned scoop of ice cream melting on the sidewalk (symbolically linked to a childhood joy ruined carelessly that no one will ever even attempt to save). Even in a single frame, the drama is almost too much to take.

Five stars. Almost as good as Wing Commander. Needs more space bulldozers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spatial posted:

For the longest time I thought the drinks machine picture was created by this thread. But nope!

The only way to tell the difference between Photoshops CIG makes in earnest and the ones this thread makes for laughs is relative quality. Ours are more professional.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, in that case I'm glad my view of things is overly cynical. Some day I hope to make it up there for one. Also, thanks for keeping the servers chugging along for when I get a craving to get owned by dorks poopsocking a robot game.

I hope you can make it too. If you are coming make sure to let me know and we can hang out and chat. Maybe even set up a dinner with other Vancouver goons I know.

As for keeping the servers going, it’s a fun job. I spent a lot of time behind the scenes last year modernizing a lot of stuff that no one will ever see but that makes the infrastructure significantly easier to maintain.

Maybe we could play robots together some days. I still pop into the FLJK mumble sometimes.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

I hope you can make it too. If you are coming make sure to let me know and we can hang out and chat. Maybe even set up a dinner with other Vancouver goons I know.

As for keeping the servers going, it’s a fun job. I spent a lot of time behind the scenes last year modernizing a lot of stuff that no one will ever see but that makes the infrastructure significantly easier to maintain.

Maybe we could play robots together some days. I still pop into the FLJK mumble sometimes.

Heck yeah, that'd be rad. Nothing weird ever happens at goonmeets, or so I've been led to believe lol.

Most MWO goons are in the discord now, we pretty regularly have some decent sized groups going on, if you ever feel like coming to hang out there's a permanent invite link over in the MWO thread and/or I can hook you up with one. I'd totally be down to show you how bad I am at your game lol.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
one I hit 3 probations in this thread I get a free footlong

beet doing the lords work

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'll have the NSSSG content winners by tomorrow! I promise not to play favorites, or try to bribe past or current mods so I can post more memes in the future

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Dear Streetroller,
You're principled and ballsy, I respect that. Don't let the Internet degenerates get to you.
TheAgent give my prize to Big Nipples Big Life, he deserves it for having the best username in the forums

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

wait people still pay a subscription to gaming magazines?

lol

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I'll have the NSSSG content winners by tomorrow! I promise not to play favorites, or try to bribe past or current mods so I can post more memes in the future

I kickstarted hightax next yacht to enter this so I'd better have a key for love pledge pre-alpha or I'll rub very, very hard for a very, very long time.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I'm now armed with a grenade so stay frosties.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Beet Wagon posted:

Heck yeah, that'd be rad. Nothing weird ever happens at goonmeets, or so I've been led to believe lol.

Most MWO goons are in the discord now, we pretty regularly have some decent sized groups going on, if you ever feel like coming to hang out there's a permanent invite link over in the MWO thread and/or I can hook you up with one. I'd totally be down to show you how bad I am at your game lol.

Is my Centurion 9AL still viable? I loved that poo poo up to ghost heat. I need a new heavy armor time sink and old dumpster fires are at least actual games.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Number19 posted:

Hello thread from this group

Hello cool and good pgi dudebro. I was just sharing my cautious optimism about MW5 with some folks, a lot of potential there in itself plus it could possibly be the mech game that sets the standard for the genre om VR

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spatial posted:

Also man you can't see poo poo in SC. About 50% of the field of view is obscured in that guy's ship:

Let's take a look at *gasp* ELITE. First off, this is the cockpit of the Hauler (that's actually the name, "Hauler").

Out the front:

Most of the "non-window" space is at the bottom, which includes most of the HUD info. You can also look up a little and then see the ceiling. It's not too far to it but that's a "centered" view.

To the side:

To the side, there's not window real estate. It's a ship for hauling goods from A to B, not for combat or deep space exploration (though it does the latter well). There's also an eyebrow window as well just out of frame. This is the most "restrictive" cockpit I've been in. Every other one is much more open.

For example, a ship pretty much dedicated to exploration:

The windows go to just behind the pilot's seat to the side and above. It's great for looking outside and seeing this:

There's also a small window between the HUD panels to the side and the floor.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 13, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The wheels are starting to come off. :(

Eventually when you’re years late, still have utterly insane feature creep you clearly lack the talent to achieve, and continue to sell the stupidest stuff possible that has virtually zero chance of being a thing for another decade...

Apparently people may start to notice.

Oh well. At least CIG has enough money to finish the game even if funding were to totally stop, according to them. :smug:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Streetroller, I think taking these parasites to court is a fine, even if Quixotic, thing to do. I applaud you. Make more videos; you have a cool style.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

err sorry... thats like my favorite approval gif i post all the time. Ill not use it again promise

:bisonyes:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

Not sure if this video has been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQsyKsr4-c

:ohdear:

I watched that "gameplay" and the main source of any interest was the guy worrying that he'd lose his ship and real-money weapons due to bugs. When he returns to Olisar he worries that he hasn't done a good enough parking job to keep his ship, so he makes multiple auto-land attempts which all try to kill him. At the end he reveals that he bought two M7A weapons for real money, lost them both to bugs, and has now bought a third.

$15.30 * 3 = $45.90 :homebrew:

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 13, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Idiocy really has no bounds.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pay to win

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Not to pile on here, but I think they may want to reconsider their camera positioning and Erin's posture, too. Didn't exactly project confidence.

Get on that, Thread Intern. Tell Chris it was a directing failure. He'll know exactly what you mean.

Thats Erin?! What the gently caress happened to him. He's turning into another Lesnick.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

iospace posted:

Pay to win
Pay to lose!

Hobold posted:

Thats Erin?! What the gently caress happened to him. He's turning into another Lesnick.
Good, they seem to have misplaced the original.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

boviscopophobic posted:

I watched that "gameplay" and the main source of any interest was the guy worrying that he'd lose his ship and real-money weapons due to bugs. When he returns to Olisar he worries that he hasn't done a good enough parking job to keep his ship, so he makes multiple auto-land attempts which all try to kill him. At the end he reveals that he bought two M7A weapons for real money, lost them both to bugs, and has now bought a third.

$15.30 * 3 = $45.90 :homebrew:

CIG really has a market don't they. Isn't the defense of all the bullshit that this is a prealpha. Why would you do such a thing? Why would you do it three times?

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 13, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

CIG really has a market don't they. Isn't the defense of all the bullshit that this is a prealpha. Why would you do such a thing? Why would you do it three times?

More like why wouldn't just ask them to restore your stupid guns? If you have plunked 50 bucks into fake guns you surely have crossed the magical thousand dollars barrier in ships, after which you can actually get customer support to listen to you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

Stress eating is a real fucker.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

iospace posted:

Let's take a look at *gasp* ELITE. First off, this is the cockpit of the Hauler (that's actually the name, "Hauler").

Out the front:

Most of the "non-window" space is at the bottom, which includes most of the HUD info. You can also look up a little and then see the ceiling. It's not too far to it but that's a "centered" view.

To the side:

To the side, there's not window real estate. It's a ship for hauling goods from A to B, not for combat or deep space exploration (though it does the latter well). There's also an eyebrow window as well just out of frame. This is the most "restrictive" cockpit I've been in. Every other one is much more open.

For example, a ship pretty much dedicated to exploration:

The windows go to just behind the pilot's seat to the side and above. It's great for looking outside and seeing this:

There's also a small window between the HUD panels to the side and the floor.

Similarly, here is cockpit view from a small fighter in the upcoming X4:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Tortolia posted:

Stress eating is a real fucker.

That beard of shame isn't doing much to hide it either

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Even putting a box in your chariot in order to complete basically any mission is pay2win.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

boviscopophobic posted:

Even putting a box in your chariot in order to complete basically any mission is pay2win.

Well, the aurora doesn't have a ramp either (the actual requirement to do missions) so the people with that starter are hosed too and it's fair.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

How much was this?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

How much was this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAGA-ARCADE-VIDEO-GAME-REFURBISHED-VERY-SHARP/292373510427?hash=item4412d1b91b:g:3YgAAOSwoJZXSQXv

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not-So-Secret Santa Streetroller Giveaway 
PO Box "That Star Citizen Thread" 
Beverly Hills, CA 

Dear Streetroller,

I have been requested by the Cloud Imperium Gaming Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Cloud Imperium Gaming Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for space exploration in the Sol system region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equaling UEC$175,000,000. The Cloud Imperium Gaming Company is desirous of space exploration in other parts of the galaxy, however, because of certain regulations of the Crytek Lawsuit, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Star Citizen to assist the Cloud Imperium Gaming Company, and also the Central Bank of RSI, in moving these funds out of CIG. If the funds can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Cloud Imperium Gaming Company. In exchange for your accommodating services, the Cloud Imperium Gaming Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or UEC$17.5million of this amount.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to space law, you must presently be a depositor of at least UEC$100,000 in a space bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of RSI.

If it will be possible for you to assist us, we would be most grateful. We suggest that you meet with us in person in Switzerland, and that during your visit I introduce you to the representatives of the Cloud Imperium Gaming Company, as well as with certain officials of the Central Bank of RSI.

Please call me at your earliest convenience at XX-XXX-XXXX. Time is of the essence in this matter; very quickly the Skadden lawyers will realize that RSI Is maintaining this amount on deposit, and attempt to levy certain depository taxes on it.

Yours truly,

Prince Chrisi Robertus

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 13, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

G0RF posted:

Not to pile on here, but I think they may want to reconsider their camera positioning and Erin's posture, too. Didn't exactly project confidence.

Get on that, Thread Intern. Tell Chris it was a directing failure. He'll know exactly what you mean.

The gently caress is this a scene from? Honey I Shrunk the MVP Expectations?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Now that my stupid joke is out of the way:
Dear Streetroller,
Anything that pisses off the shitizens is A-Ok by me. I sincerely wish you luck with everything.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
As someone who was looking forward to some hot space court action, I'm preparing myself for disappointment :(

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2018/01/12/crytek-v-star-citizen-defense-lands/

:flaccid:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

his nibs posted:

As someone who was looking forward to some hot space court action, I'm preparing myself for disappointment :(

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2018/01/12/crytek-v-star-citizen-defense-lands/

:flaccid:

quote:

DISCLOSURE: The author is a former content contributor to The Escapist, owned by Defy Media, which was involved in a dispute (of which he was not involved or privy to its details) against Cloud Imperium Games.

RtV Summary

They still have money

How old is that cap?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 13, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SelenicMartian posted:

How old is that cap?

Money is Old Money by now.

necroid
May 14, 2009

honestly, I haven't watched your video but this guy's comment doesn't really strike me as an attack, it reads more like a surprisingly reasonable critique.

as you say I like most people haven't experienced your frustrations, but I've been wondering if you coming here and posting screenshots of your sick youtube owns is really necessary, just like publishing a cigar smoking manifesto of the reasons why you're going to totally make cig your bitch

no hard feelings but to me it feels just like Derek's attention-grabbing posturing, actions usually speak louder than words...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Combat Theory posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=35m22s

This is the bit where Erin talks about Space Combat.

oh my... where to begin where to begin...

So first of all he doesnt even talk much about the issue. he just adopted Chris way of filling time with words without actually giving out information. What he does give out though is enough to redeem that CIG has learned absolutely 0, Nada , Nothing from the disastrous combat experiences following 2.6.

Notice how Erin, after strolling around the main issue, brings up that the only point he wants to adress in the combat experience is the "shooting at pixels" bit. That is quote on quote the same poo poo that Chris ruled down in 2.6 and that ruined the little bit of consistency in Combat design that was left at the end of 2016.

As i wrote last summer, the Dynamics of Space combat in regards to good gameplay are one of the most complicated and technical topics and require excellent knowledge of both vehicle dynamics and gameplay mechanics as well as game experience. What Erin did is just closing the Circle to 1 1/2 Years ago. CIG, as a company, has learned absolutely nothing on the matter. And whatever comes out of the lawsuits, it is absolutely clear that this company does not have the Quality in house that is needed to even design a good combat model and experience, let alone balancing and porting it into an open world MMO enviroment.

Notice how Erin fills this obvious lack of understanding for the matter with regards to his "former Games" which are all but meaningless for the matter of Space combat and vehicle dynamics especially in a multiplayer enviroment.

Again, just like in 2.6 all they can think of regarding vehicle dynamics is speed. that there is literally hundreds of parameters going into the IFCS to create just the basic flight characteristics (let alone the high order combat characteristics) seems to be not only a complete mistery to the one guy who is supposed to make a game out if this, he seems to be completely unaware of them. And this is 4 Years after the initial release of the spaceflight and combat module. Its like time is ticking backwards and the more we progress the less CIG understands about basic gameplay and design. Amazing

A first step? the team keeps on working on it? this is the same team that couldnt do basic vehicle dynamics... feck... high school physics at the end of 2016 and judging by the state of 3.0 and especially this RTV, they have not learned a singe bit.

:five:

Also, I would pette the doggos.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Spatial posted:

Why is there a fat hobbit in the SC video

By the way, I always appreciate a bit of gorfposting. Thanks for your efforts

Spasiba!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The gently caress is this a scene from? Honey I Shrunk the MVP Expectations?

Well, slight adjustments to scale were made to emphasize the bad framing and incredible shrinking Erin factor.

NOTE TO CIG (and it pains me to point out something this obvious to a company co-run by a Director and an Actress): The whole of whale confidence in this project now rests on your Brother / Brother-in-law.

Chris, your credibility was pissed away in a marathon stretch of slinging bullcrap for dollars for five years.

Sandi, well, I think yours peaked at Sunny’s Diner when a couple of nerd dudes were drooling over the fiction you spun about yourself of the brilliant, beautiful, bodacious, joint masters marine biologist/marketing genius sought by schools around the world for Ph.D studies. (Nobody inside or outside of CIG believes it anymore.)

Erin hasn’t yet peed all his cred away, and backers are counting on him to keep the trains running. If not on time (:lol:), they need to believe he’s a leader who can keep it from coming off the tracks. So next time you shoot him, tell the man to Sit Up Straight, and position the camera so his framing looks confident and in command. He literally looks like he’s melting and that isn’t a good luck for the last leader people sort of trust in the Troika.

Yeah, I know Thread Intern...

File Under: Low Priority, Content Immaterial

Nevermind then. Keep doing what you’re doing!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

How old is that cap?

Money Money years ago when they still have money