Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=35m22s

This is the bit where Erin talks about Space Combat.

oh my... where to begin where to begin...

So first of all he doesnt even talk much about the issue. he just adopted Chris way of filling time with words without actually giving out information. What he does give out though is enough to redeem that CIG has learned absolutely 0, Nada , Nothing from the disastrous combat experiences following 2.6.

Notice how Erin, after strolling around the main issue, brings up that the only point he wants to adress in the combat experience is the "shooting at pixels" bit. That is quote on quote the same poo poo that Chris ruled down in 2.6 and that ruined the little bit of consistency in Combat design that was left at the end of 2016.

As i wrote last summer, the Dynamics of Space combat in regards to good gameplay are one of the most complicated and technical topics and require excellent knowledge of both vehicle dynamics and gameplay mechanics as well as game experience. What Erin did is just closing the Circle to 1 1/2 Years ago. CIG, as a company, has learned absolutely nothing on the matter. And whatever comes out of the lawsuits, it is absolutely clear that this company does not have the Quality in house that is needed to even design a good combat model and experience, let alone balancing and porting it into an open world MMO enviroment.

Notice how Erin fills this obvious lack of understanding for the matter with regards to his "former Games" which are all but meaningless for the matter of Space combat and vehicle dynamics especially in a multiplayer enviroment.

Again, just like in 2.6 all they can think of regarding vehicle dynamics is speed. that there is literally hundreds of parameters going into the IFCS to create just the basic flight characteristics (let alone the high order combat characteristics) seems to be not only a complete mistery to the one guy who is supposed to make a game out if this, he seems to be completely unaware of them. And this is 4 Years after the initial release of the spaceflight and combat module. Its like time is ticking backwards and the more we progress the less CIG understands about basic gameplay and design. Amazing

A first step? the team keeps on working on it? this is the same team that couldnt do basic vehicle dynamics... feck... high school physics at the end of 2016 and judging by the state of 3.0 and especially this RTV, they have not learned a singe bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't have Plat ever since I toxxed for both sides in the Presidential election, so this isn't an entry.

Not-So-Secret Santa Streetroller Giveaway
PO Box "That Star Citizen Thread"
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

The sheep might be angry, but in the end all they're good for is to be fleeced. It takes self-respect to stand up for yourself and others and that's something the cultists baying for your blood will never understand.

Shitposting Merrily,
Deki

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Combat Theory posted:

Again, just like in 2.6 all they can think of regarding vehicle dynamics is speed. that there is literally hundreds of parameters going into the IFCS to create just the basic flight characteristics (let alone the high order combat characteristics) seems to be not only a complete mistery to the one guy who is supposed to make a game out if this, he seems to be completely unaware of them. And this is 4 Years after the initial release of the spaceflight and combat module. Its like time is ticking backwards and the more we progress the less CIG understands about basic gameplay and design. Amazing

Haha. Thank you, I tried to watch this but couldn't make heads or tails of what he was saying. Closed the tab without even posting my brutal takedown in the comments.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

AP posted:

I've seen major Hollywood stars give less convincing monologues to camera.

I thought Sandi's scene was cut.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I see your poop and raise you.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

If the term "hate boner" did not exist before Star Citizen, would Citizens have invented it? They love that term.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Whatever it is it definitely is not that they've had 5 years and 170 million dollars and made gently caress all and a buggy trash gently caress all at that

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Streetroller posted:

Dude. Just compare your comment to this one:

... and I'm getting worse in private
This is one hosed up community.

Holy poo poo. Just... wow.

I hope somebody shits in that guys sandwich.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, gently caress that santa bullshit.

Streetroller, you seem like a cool guy. Have fun pissing in Robert's cornflakes.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

it is quite a bit easier to put ones own dick in a sandwich, or across it, than it is to poo poo in a sandwich. If there is a technique I am missing I am always ready to learn new things.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

G0RF posted:

The silent lurker population here varies but over the course of a given month but includes:
  • Game industry folk picking up water cooler chatter (“You hear “you can fit all of Skyrim in there” crap? The nerve of that guy.)

Hello thread from this group

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Combat Theory posted:

So first of all he doesnt even talk much about the issue. he just adopted Chris way of filling time with words without actually giving out information. What he does give out though is enough to redeem that CIG has learned absolutely 0, Nada , Nothing from the disastrous combat experiences following 2.6.

Notice how Erin, after strolling around the main issue, brings up that the only point he wants to adress in the combat experience is the "shooting at pixels" bit. That is quote on quote the same poo poo that Chris ruled down in 2.6 and that ruined the little bit of consistency in Combat design that was left at the end of 2016.

As i wrote last summer, the Dynamics of Space combat in regards to good gameplay are one of the most complicated and technical topics and require excellent knowledge of both vehicle dynamics and gameplay mechanics as well as game experience. What Erin did is just closing the Circle to 1 1/2 Years ago. CIG, as a company, has learned absolutely nothing on the matter. And whatever comes out of the lawsuits, it is absolutely clear that this company does not have the Quality in house that is needed to even design a good combat model and experience, let alone balancing and porting it into an open world MMO enviroment.

Notice how Erin fills this obvious lack of understanding for the matter with regards to his "former Games" which are all but meaningless for the matter of Space combat and vehicle dynamics especially in a multiplayer enviroment.

A first step? the team keeps on working on it? this is the same team that couldnt do basic vehicle dynamics... feck... high school physics at the end of 2016 and judging by the state of 3.0 and especially this RTV, they have not learned a singe bit.

Not to pile on here, but I think they may want to reconsider their camera positioning and Erin's posture, too. Didn't exactly project confidence.

Get on that, Thread Intern. Tell Chris it was a directing failure. He'll know exactly what you mean.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Combat Theory posted:

Pft, combat in 3.0 is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi6gNEUlmVg

:tif:

Also :laffo:

:wtchris:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Combat Theory posted:

:five: great breakdown. I just can’t believe can get away with such obvious meandering bullshit.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

There it is again. The Big Pub conspiracy theories. The last step in this process, imo, is the shitizen narrative shifting blame for CIG’s obvious failure on Big Pub and the evil media empire that’s in cahoots.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Number19 posted:

Hello thread from this group

:hfive:

But I have to ask...

Why do you guys cut corners on graphical fidelity?

Is it because you don't have a Code Whisperer running the show?

Tell you friends, tell your family. The Code Whisperer is soon to deliver a new era of Quadruple A gaming. And there will be nowhere to hide when he does. And no one, NO ONE, will be able to catch him. Except Rockstar. Maybe.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not-So-Secret Santa Streetroller Giveaway
PO Box "That Star Citizen Thread"
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

I don't know poo poo about the man known as Streetroller but taking these fools to task and standing up against all these hateful shitheels is a rad thing to do. They represent the worst parts of the internet, whereas efforts against this scam represent the best. Also the way they squirm and twist at the slightest application of pressure squirts out a constant stream of comedy into the thread, something we all appreciate your efforts for. And standing up against predatory, dishonest, fraudulent marketing practices is also a good thing for a man to do, something I wish more people could get behind in their life.

But that's just the opinion of an outsider looking in

Much love,
I don't sign my posts

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

Not to pile on here, but I think they may want to reconsider their camera positioning and Erin's posture, too. Didn't exactly project confidence.

Get on that, Thread Intern. Tell Chris it was a directing failure. He'll know exactly what you mean.

It looks like he's 3 feet tall.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

G0RF posted:

:hfive:

But I have to ask...

Why do you guys cut corners on graphical fidelity?

Is it because you don't have a Code Whisperer running the show?

Tell you friends, tell your family. The Code Whisperer is soon to deliver a new era of Quadruple A gaming. And there will be nowhere to hide when he does. And no one, NO ONE, will be able to catch him. Except Rockstar. Maybe.

Don’t ask me man. I just keep the servers running.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Not sure if this video has been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQsyKsr4-c

:ohdear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol i usually play at about 4fps :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

Don’t ask me man. I just keep the servers running.

Excellent. You've posted here, and now I can chain probate you until the Hollander gets put in.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Why is there a fat hobbit in the SC video

By the way, I always appreciate a bit of gorfposting. Thanks for your efforts

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Excellent. You've posted here, and now I can chain probate you until the Hollander gets put in.

I guess I’m never going to post again :negative:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

This claim has always been one of my favorites, particularly because the actual quality of Star Citizen is sub-abysmal, and some of the worst I've seen in my life - and I've been around from the beginning. It's so obvious that Chris Roberts has an inferiority complex and is trying to get back at the industry who tossed him out, then ignored his begging to be let back in, and he's going to do so by being the massive gently caress-up that everyone in the industry already knows he is. It's quite literally amazing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

I guess I’m never going to post again :negative:

Don't crush my dreams! :rip:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

G0RF posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Wait, hold up, is that an actual screencap from ATV? I assumed someone had photoshopped it. That's loving terrible lmao

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Don't crush my dreams! :rip:

I don’t even know what a Hollander is other than it’s a robot

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, hold up, is that an actual screencap from ATV? I assumed someone had photoshopped it. That's loving terrible lmao

I feel that way about nearly everything CIG produces. It all looks like a Photoshopped prank. From the Hilton Hotel "future" poster to the Hello Kitty Copyright Infringement Extravaganza, one thing is consistently true: "If it's CIG, it's poo poo"™.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

I don’t even know what a Hollander is other than it’s a robot

That's... honestly probably for the best. Like I'm sure the networking jobs there aren't exactly a cakewalk, but you're probably insulated from most or all of the weird greasy nerd obsession over robots and robot-adjacent bullshit.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

That's... honestly probably for the best. Like I'm sure the networking jobs there aren't exactly a cakewalk, but you're probably insulated from most or all of the weird greasy nerd obsession over robots and robot-adjacent bullshit.

I talk to the community sometimes so I’m not completely insulated. I’ve taken a step back in recent years though. I don’t think I even talked to any fans at Mech Con this year...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

I talk to the community sometimes so I’m not completely insulated. I’ve taken a step back in recent years though. I don’t think I even talked to any fans at Mech Con this year...

As someone who occasionally considers going to Mech Con to be that exact guy, I can't say I blame you. I always appreciate it when I see devs and team members coming to chat with players, but with a franchise like MechWarrior or Elite or any of the others that attract old grogs, I'm also always a littler perplexed as to how they manage haha.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Quavers posted:

Not sure if this video has been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQsyKsr4-c

:ohdear:
FPS over time in that video:

0:35 - 44
1:35 - 38
2:35 - 29
3:35 - 19
4:35 - 16

by 7 minutes it's down to 14 with frequent dips to 4 or 5

lol

Spatial fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 13, 2018

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

As someone who occasionally considers going to Mech Con to be that exact guy, I can't say I blame you. I always appreciate it when I see devs and team members coming to chat with players, but with a franchise like MechWarrior or Elite or any of the others that attract old grogs, I'm also always a littler perplexed as to how they manage haha.

The community is actually pretty awesome. Mech Con was lots of fun and I would probably mingle more if it wasn’t a working event for me. It’s hard to hang out and chat when you have to keep an eye on things.

There are a couple of us who mingle all day, like flyingdebris. That dude was everywhere.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I feel that way about nearly everything CIG produces. It all looks like a Photoshopped prank.
For the longest time I thought the drinks machine picture was created by this thread. But nope!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Also man you can't see poo poo in SC. About 50% of the field of view is obscured in that guy's ship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

The community is actually pretty awesome. Mech Con was lots of fun and I would probably mingle more if it wasn’t a working event for me. It’s hard to hang out and chat when you have to keep an eye on things.

There are a couple of us who mingle all day, like flyingdebris. That dude was everywhere.

Well, in that case I'm glad my view of things is overly cynical. Some day I hope to make it up there for one. Also, thanks for keeping the servers chugging along for when I get a craving to get owned by dorks poopsocking a robot game.

Spatial posted:

Also man you can't see poo poo in SC. About 50% of the field of view is obscured in that guy's ship:

Oh come on now, don't be ridiculous, that's not even the worst one