Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Ema Nymton posted:

Adam Driver can act. It seems like that's the only thing people can mostly agree on from TLJ.

We're all hoping you're right i.e., that the writers wanted/intended a Darth Emo / Darth Screams-a-lot character. I'm not yet convinced.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah MM, I am not the hottest for TLJ but that's a dumb loving point. Of course she told him all about it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

gaj70 posted:

We're all hoping you're right i.e., that the writers wanted/intended a Darth Emo / Darth Screams-a-lot character. I'm not yet convinced.
What are you suggesting? That they just accidentally wrote a really good character?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hate that loving meme of him being a whiny emo boy mr.mad as if it's some loving super burn that after you type it you sit back in your chair admiring your own loving post.

Shut the gently caress up and think for yourself instead of repeating the same jokes ad-nauseam.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Was the color off at many theaters, or did people actually see blue milk?

It's blue in the meme Mark Hamill posted :nsfw:

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What are you suggesting? That they just accidentally wrote a really good character?

Maybe I'm older, but his temper tantrums in both movies made him completely unlikable. He comes off as a 5 yro, not a man.

I can conceive story arcs where that makes sense. Just not ones where Kylo is the primary antagonist.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

gaj70 posted:

Maybe I'm older, but his temper tantrums in both movies made him completely unlikable. He comes off as a 5 yro, not a man.

I can conceive story arcs where that makes sense. Just not ones where Kylo is the primary antagonist.

Your criteria for something making sense is whether you want to be friends with a character or admire them. That's not a criteria for "make sense", that's a criteria for having imaginary friends.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

gaj70 posted:

You don't have to like an antagonist for him to be a good antagonist. Often, it actually helps if you don't.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't see the 5yo argument at all.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I can totally understand and accept that some people cannot stand Kylo. My brain knows I shouldn't like him at all. Thus I admire how Driver made me somehow forget that and engage with the character anyway. In other words, he did things to evoke an emotional response from me, AKA acting. Hayden Christensen couldn't do that. And they're both swole, so it wasn't the giant pecs that made me like Kylo (OK, it helped). In a way, Kylo's the Anakin that should've been.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Ema Nymton posted:

In a way, Kylo's the Anakin that should've been.

Whoa. This is true. Kylo's even more overtly petulant and pathetic than Anakin yet we still like him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ema Nymton posted:

I can totally understand and accept that some people cannot stand Kylo. My brain knows I shouldn't like him at all. Thus I admire how Driver made me somehow forget that and engage with the character anyway. In other words, he did things to evoke an emotional response from me, AKA acting. Hayden Christensen couldn't do that. And they're both swole, so it wasn't the giant pecs that made me like Kylo (OK, it helped). In a way, Kylo's the Anakin that should've been.

When we left the theater, my wife asked, "So can no Jedi grow chest hair, or is it just the Skywalker bloodline?" And I honestly had to tell her I wasn't sure, because the same sizes for both that we've seen are too small.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To me having someone that unstable and immature in a position of power is truly terrifying. You can clearly see how his evil actions arise from insecurity and weakness. So I'm glad he called off his trip to the UK.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To me having someone that unstable and immature in a position of power is truly terrifying. You can clearly see how his evil actions arise from insecurity and weakness. So I'm glad he called off his trip to the UK.

:golfclap:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa. This is true. Kylo's even more overtly petulant and pathetic than Anakin yet we still like him.

I think Kylo Ren benefits a bit from the fact that he has fewer expectations. Darth Vader is considered one of the greatest movie villains of all time and despite the fact he's kinda a whiny baby even in the original films the presentation more than carries him through that, so Anakin Skywalker had a lot more going for him. Kylo Ren is deVadered almost at once and it's explicit he's trying and failing to live up to what he views as Vader's legacy so him being crappier-than-Vader is something the audience is expected to agree with.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

You don't have to like an antagonist for him to be a good antagonist. Often, it actually helps if you don't.

Ideally, you'd 'love to hate' a good antagonist.

edit x2: Personally, I don't 'like' Kylo, in the sense I like to have a beer with him. And certainly don't 'fear' him. He's more... just irritating / lacking in personal charisma.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 12, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kylo Ren is mroe clearly heroic and righteous from the start, which is why he's more sympathetic - in TFA he executes pompous mystics like Max von Sydow's character and scumbags like Han Solo, and in TLJ he's established as the hope for the future when he declares that he's going to destroy the Jedi and the Republic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gaj70 posted:

How the gently caress do you watch these movie and come away thinking Kylo isn’t supposed to be that way?

Do you think they just had to cast Adam Driver, like there weren’t fifty scary acrobatic musclemen waiting to be a star war villain?

Paging smg, plz draw lines on a screencap of Kylo

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Am I doing it right. SMG help.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress YEAH ADAM DRIVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEcI0rD_SyM

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's the funny thing, if he didn't openly say stuff like that, you wouldn't know he hadn't seen the movie because everything he's said about TLJ is pretty accurate.

As more than twenty-four hours have elapsed, it is now unclear whether I have seen the The Last Jedi.

It is plausible that I have seen it at least once, and entirely possible that I have seen it upwards of ten times.

CountFosco posted:

Wouldn't Rey map onto the character of the French revolutionary more than Kylo, then?

No; the Gladiatorerna character directly analogous to Rey would be the offscreen (and bizarrely omnipresent) interviewer/documentarian.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Kylo Ren is mroe clearly heroic and righteous from the start, which is why he's more sympathetic - in TFA he executes pompous mystics like Max von Sydow's character and scumbags like Han Solo, and in TLJ he's established as the hope for the future when he declares that he's going to destroy the Jedi and the Republic.

I don't think I'd describe the extrajudicial killing of astrologers and drug runners as heroic or righteous.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7I0xJNIxiE

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You can tell SMG hasn't seen it because all his talking points are heavily TFA mediated, the read is mostly riffs on the broad criticism others have brought up (it's reflexively critical of the other movies but finally degenerates into "Star Wars iscool), and he pointedly never mentions the inexplicable scene where Luke eats poo poo and babbles about "decaffeinated Star Wars, Star Wars without the stars" which should be right up his alley.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This should have stayed in the movie. :black101:

Vintersorg posted:

I hate that loving meme of him being a whiny emo boy mr.mad as if it's some loving super burn that after you type it you sit back in your chair admiring your own loving post.

Shut the gently caress up and think for yourself instead of repeating the same jokes ad-nauseam.

Mary Poppins.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

:swoon:

I would've liked to see that too! ...but I'm glad it wasn't. That would've been just too much negativity on Downer Island.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It is plausible that I have seen it at least once, and entirely possible that I have seen it upwards of ten times.

This is perfect - best poster in the thread - and I feel indignation that such a poster was made to suffer the indignity of a probation.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SMG is clearly Rian Johnson

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I recall the milk being a greenish color :shrug:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Imma go see this a second time on monday. First time was from an awful angle in like the 2nd row.

I thought it was very okay. 2nd viewing may change that attitude.

e: milk seemed blue green to me in the theater I saw it in.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe these blue milk people (not referencing the nsfw picture) have a native language where the word for green evolved relatively late.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I recall Ach-To having a very blue color palette. I thought it was blue milk at first too, but upon reviewing the scene afterwards, that might have been influenced by the surroundings.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's teal, the color of the future!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The milk is green but "blue milk" is such a well known part of pop-culture for so long that a lot of people just "remembered" it as blue when recollecting the scene later. Like how people earnestly remember the line like "Luke, I am your father." when that's not the actual line they heard.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I thought it was "Blue Milk"(TM). Which I remember being a bit green. Amazing, every word I said was wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Wemus posted:

SMG is clearly Rian Johnson

Rian Johnson is a nice and humble man, not an smug rear end in a top hat.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

:yikes:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Daisy Ridley is really good in this movie. The second time they connect, and she goes from monster to understanding him, all the looks she gives are so good. We need more nuance in our pulp more often

• Locked thread