Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yeah! Our first cat treats!

Now spurn this highly questionable excuse for food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Refuse I'm pretty sure this food will kill us

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Option #3

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
#2: This food raises questions. Questions like “what the gently caress, Claire?!”

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

2: How blasted of a wreck is the international criminal justice system that this substance can be offered as 'food' for anything without dramatic repercussions?!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Refuse this questionable stuff.

velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
Endure.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
3. Refuse. How dare they offer me something so far beneath me?

(err, whats the difference between 2 and 3?)

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Comstar posted:

(err, whats the difference between 2 and 3?)

From what I can tell, 2 is refusing out of self-preservation and 3 is because of ego.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Are there Stat bonus differences between 2 & 3 or is it just flavor? I’m guessing just flavor as far as Human Relationship, my vote was intended for #2.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
2. Poisoning a cat is a crime, Claire.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

2 because no self-respecting cat would willingly eat stuff like this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
2 Check the meat content, I'm an obligate carnivore!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2. Normal cat food is the meat bits humans don't want to eat. This sounds like the meat bits nothing wants to eat.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

1, and if we don't like it later we'll barf it up on their bed

Also we need to pull this slick move off at some point

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-ap-cocoa-beach-car-cat-20180107-story.html

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, that's 2 votes each for enduring the stuff and refusing for ego reasons. But spurning it for health reasons won with a total of 9 votes. Let's go!

quote:

You sit steadfast, staring straight at Claire like the first one to blink must give in. She loses when an urgent-sounding knock comes at the door, heralding muffled words from Andre.

"Did you check the best-before date on that Spam? I think we've had it since last year."

Claire looks about for the wrapper, reads it apprehensively, then lets out a "Jesus."

"And I was going to make you eat that. I'm really making a mess of this, aren't I?" She reaches out to stroke you.

-Dodge her. A guilt-ridden person is a person I can better manipulate.
-Let her. I still dig her, even if she's fallible.
-Scratch her. I have no patience for idiots.

Well, that appears to have been the right choice. Year old Spam? Ugh! But how do we react to Claire's mistake? Do we:

1. Dodge her. A guilt-ridden person is a person I can better manipulate.
2. Let her. I still dig her, even if she's fallible.
3. Scratch her. I have no patience for idiots.

quote:

Cat Treats Acquired: 2
Mice Hunted: 0
Contempt: 45% Affection: 55%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 54% Demanding: 46%
Self-Interested: 50% Loyal: 50%
Feral: 53% Domesticated: 47%
Fun-Loving: 50% Comfort-Seeking: 50%
Logical: 45% Intuitive: 55%
Claire's Dislike: 41% Claire's Like: 59%
Andre's Dislike: 45% Andre's Like: 55%
Moon: is uneasy around you.
Bene: hasn't met you yet.
Maddox: hasn't met you yet.

And to answer that question, it appears that answer 2 does boost intuitive. I'm pretty sure 3 boosts contempt.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Let her. We still want food, and letting her pet us will probably get us food faster.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Let her make up for her failure by petting us.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I accept your affection, human, I still like you. Now feed the kitty!

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Claire seems to be the only decent pet owner in this house.

Kitty needs petting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dodge. Go for maximum guilt.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

achtungnight posted:

I accept your affection, human, I still like you. Now feed the kitty!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Claire is super cool and worthy of being permitted to pet me for reasons including, but not limited to, the fact that she's not Andre the Box Non-Opener.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. Let her. I still dig her, even if she's fallible.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
2. Do not fail me again, human.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

2. You're forgiven this time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2. She tries, and you shouldn't have to reward that, but if that's what it takes to make a human a suitable servant for a cat, so be it.

velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
accept pets

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, that's no votes for scratching, 1 vote for dodging, and...11 votes for letting her pet us. We really like Claire!

quote:

Claire almost seems grateful for the fact that you let her stroke you. Apologies wash over you as you roll on your back and let her stroke your hungry tummy. When it growls unprompted, she redoubles her efforts and promises you "something delicious" before getting up to leave.

As Claire heads for the door, she hesitates by the clothes spinner, then opens its tired metal mouth to pull out all its contents. Warm dry fabric and the soft click of static. She rummages through in the vague hope of finding a towel to wipe her hands on.

-It looks like fun, so I'll jump in and "help" her.
-It looks soft and warm—a perfect napping place.
-Launch an attack on the laundry. Don't waste my time, get steak!

...Well, that was short. So do we:

1. It looks like fun, so I'll jump in and "help" her.
2. It looks soft and warm—a perfect napping place.
3. Launch an attack on the laundry. Don't waste my time, get steak!

quote:

Fun-Loving: 50% Comfort-Seeking: 50%
Claire's Dislike: 39% Claire's Like: 61%

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cats are always big helpers, especially when it comes to laundry.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jump in the dryer. My cat did this the other day. It surprised the heck out of me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

This looks like a flavor vote, so help her, the sooner this is done the sooner we get food!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm helping! And totally not just because it's warm I swear.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Naptime!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jump in. That's totally what a cat would do yea. :D

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
We're a helper!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Helper

we're helping our human through thier own fallibilities! We have to train them.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
So no one wanted to attack the laundry, but 1 person wanted to take a nap in it and 7 wanted to 'help' Claire out. So let's go help!

quote:

When you leap up to join the fun of slinging clothes around, Claire stares at you with a look of bemusement. "A team effort, huh, puss?"

She stands back and smiles as you pounce on a towel, hurling it onto the floor with a random flick of your paws. She shakes her head and smiles before wiping her hands.

"I should probably take this with me," she tells you, gathering clothes in her arms. Pausing, she throws you a mangled-looking dish towel before exiting the room. "How about you have this one? It's on its last legs anyway."

You play on by yourself, hurling and catching, pouncing and shredding. The dish towel falls to pieces fairly quickly, and you're left with less interesting scraps. You slow down and pace for what seems like several hours.

Well, we have helped Claire out and she truly appreciates us now. I mean, who knows what she would have done with that towel if we weren't there!

quote:

Ah, steak. Finally. It turns out sometimes humans do cook twice in one evening. The smell filters into the room and tugs at your stomach. You head to the door and put your nose to the gap at the bottom. You inhale deeply, listening for footsteps.

"I hope you're not at the the door, Morgana," comes Claire's voice. The door creaks open slowly. When she enters the room, the smell of cooked meat curls like sirens' fingers around your nose, pulling you along to where your hunger will be satiated. "Is that better?"

Claire stands back, hands on hips, and gives you space around your bowl.

-Purr cutely. Claire is definitely a good person to have on my side.
-I ignore her, my subtle way of telling her I'd like her to shut up and let me eat in peace.
-Drag the steak deftly from the bowl. Eating off the floor is easier and more comfortable.
-Sniff my bowl a few times. Assessing if it's safe is common sense where I'm from.

And we got an achievement for this! The achievement is called People Training and we got it for getting a steak meal. ...Though they do say we 'wangle' a steak meal rather than 'wrangle'. Weird. I have no idea if this is automatic or not, because I have never not gotten this achievement. But congrats to all! Now, what do we do with this steak? Do we:

1. Purr cutely. Claire is definitely a good person to have on my side.
2. I ignore her, my subtle way of telling her I'd like her to shut up and let me eat in peace.
3. Drag the steak deftly from the bowl. Eating off the floor is easier and more comfortable.
4. Sniff my bowl a few times. Assessing if it's safe is common sense where I'm from.

quote:

Fun-Loving: 55% Comfort-Seeking: 45%
Claire's Dislike: 38% Claire's Like: 62%

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Purr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Drag it to the floor

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

And we got an achievement for this! The achievement is called People Training and we got it for getting a steak meal. ...Though they do say we 'wangle' a steak meal rather than 'wrangle'.

Although it's very common to use "wrangle" in this context, "wangle" is actually the correct word to use here. From Grammarist:

quote:

Wangle means to obtain something through devious means or clever manipulation. Wangle is a transitive verb, which is a verb that takes an object. Related words are wangles, wangled, wangling. Wangle may also be used as a noun to mean the act of obtaining something through devious means or clever manipulation. The word wangle is derived from waggle or wankle, which are printers terms that mean to fake by manipulation.

Wrangle means to participate in a long, involved dispute or argument. In America, wrangle may mean to take control of livestock. Wrangle is an intransitive verb, which is a verb that does not take an object. Related words are wrangles, wrangled, wrangling. Wrangle is also used as a noun to mean a long, involved dispute. The word wrangle is derived from the German word wrangeln which means to wrestle.

• Locked thread