Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Hi Everyone! My name is SimplyUnknown1, and welcome to my first Let's Play! Choice of the Cat by Jordan Reyne is a game near and dear to my heart as I too have recently adopted a kitten. And she has instantly taken control of my life and demanded that I create this Let's Play for others to enjoy living the amazing life as one of our feline overlords. Or as close to it as we can get. Choice of the Cat is a text-based game found on the Choice of Games website and is also available on Steam. Here is a link to purchase it on Steam if you'd like to play along.

I love the description of this game, so I'll just let it speak for itself below.

quote:

It's the biggest text-based cat simulator ever written. You can play it many times, making different choices along the way! As a rescue cat looking for a family to love and/or obey you forever, you find yourself sharing a home with a family on the brink of divorce. You'll learn to manipulate your owners, their neighbors, and even their other pets to get what you want. (The humans think they're in charge! Aren't they cute?)

Show your new family the meaning of unconditional love, rule by fear alone, or play them against one another for your amusement. Become a YouTube sensation when videos of your lovable antics go viral, or meddle from behind the throne as your owner begins to take over the government.

Who's an adorable, tyrannical kitty? You are! Will you sharpen your claws and mete out feline justice, or melt their hearts with purrs, meows, and cuddles?

• Play as male or female, or dispense with gender constructs.
• Enjoy over half a million words covering cat lore, how to rule the planet, and what to do with a dead fish.
• Save your owners' marriage with kindness, or rip them apart with your tiny little claws.
• Delve deep into the psyche of man's second best friend, or usurp Bene the dog to become man's first best friend.
• Take revenge on those who cross you or your allies, or rescue the innocent using cleverer, subtler tricks.
• Become a hero among cats, or pick on humans and ruthlessly destroy a troubled marriage.
• Enjoy luxurious carpets, curtains ripe for shredding, and belly rubs from your owners.
• Shred and steal things, mark your territory stinkily, and cause fires.
• Mess with vital political meetings, or opt for clever tactics to help your humans reach their goals.
• Help your owner earn a recording contract from the music mogul next door.

Got it? Much like other text-based Let's Plays, I'll be tallying up the votes from all the readers and that will decide every decision that we'll make in the game. I'm planning on playing through at least twice, with maybe a third as a possibility depending on reaction. But that can be left for later.
Now before we get started, let's go over some rules.

Rule 1: No Spoilers. There aren't going to be too many as Choice of the Cat is a relatively simple game with no current sequels. But if you are playing ahead or have played before, please don't reveal too much ahead of time.

Rule 2: Only one vote per choice per person. You are free to amend votes as you please, but that vote only counts as one.

Rule 3: Keep it clean. If you disagree with someone, please explain your opinion in a polite and respectful manner. No cursing, insults, or any other catfights. We have a reputation after all.

That's pretty much it, though I claim the right to add rules as we go on. And before we get truly started, let's take a look at our stat block in the beginning.

quote:

Your Current Domestic Situation
Cat Treats Acquired: 0
Mice Hunted: 0
Contempt: 55% Affection: 45%
Audacious: 50% Cautious: 50%
Manipulative: 50% Demanding: 50%
Self-Interested: 55% Loyal: 45%
Feral: 55% Domesticated: 45%
Fun-Loving: 50% Comfort-Seeking: 50%
Logical: 50% Intuitive: 50%
Claire's Dislike: 50% Claire's Like: 50%
Andre's Dislike: 45% Andre's Like: 55%
Moon: is uneasy around you.
Bene: hasn't met you yet.
Maddox: hasn't met you yet.

You see how there are usually two stats per one line? That means that we'll be dealing with opposing stats. The higher your contempt is, for example, the lower your affection is, and vice versa. Neither stat can get above 100%, and it's impossible to be both contemptuous and affectionate in one run. We have affection options for 5 characters; Claire, Andre, Moon, Bene, and Maddox. Claire and Andre are the two that we'll be dealing with the most, so they get the most detail. The other three are important, but not as much so they'll only get a single line of dialogue for how well we get along with them. We also have a counter for cat treats we've gotten and mice we've caught, though neither are required for beating the game.

Anyways, let's get on with the first page of the story!

quote:

Choice of the Cat

by Jordan Reyne

Chapter 1: Brand-New Home
The dark presses inward. You cannot stretch or get comfortable. As with any cat, being shut inside boxes is high on your list of things to avoid, but you didn't get much choice. The shuddering sounds of a car engine subside, and you know you are being carried somewhere indoors.

"Good puss. Nearly there," comes a cheerful male voice. "I'm Andre, by the way, and this is your new place."

Your box is put down. Stable, solid ground at last. From experience, you expect to be let out now, and you'd probably pace back and forth if there were room.

"The others are right behind us, puss," Andre continues, now fidgeting about in the room. "Hang in there." You hear a humming, clicking sound. After that, some loud notes that start to form a tune. A guitar. This Andre guy has sparked up an amplifier and is hacking away at some guitar solo when he should be letting you out. The tune part is barely discernible, but what he lacks in talent, he's trying to make up for in volume. Why the hell hasn't he opened this drat thing? From inside your box, how will you communicate that your release is, by now, totally and utterly necessary?

1. Start yowling with as much dramaticism as possible.
2. Scratch at the joins of the box. A prison is only as strong as its weakest part.
3. Get his attention via smell. If I make him uncomfortable too, he'll do something.
4. Tip the box over, then go still and silent so he'll worry I'm dead.
5. What's outside of boxes can be worse than being in them. I wait, scared and quiet.

So we've reached our first decision, but I will be providing three to decide on before the next update. I'll be trying to regularly update on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but I may update earlier if I feel we've reached enough votes or get enough requests to update more often. Please highlight your votes in bold in your comments!

Question 1: What is our gender?
-Boy
-Girl
-I'm not a fan of gender constructs

Question 2: What is our name?

Question 3: How do we get out of the dang box?!
1. Start yowling with as much dramaticism as possible.
2. Scratch at the joins of the box. A prison is only as strong as its weakest part.
3. Get his attention via smell. If I make him uncomfortable too, he'll do something.
4. Tip the box over, then go still and silent so he'll worry I'm dead.
5. What's outside of boxes can be worse than being in them. I wait, scared and quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Well this ought to be interesting.

I say we're a female cat who's busy yowling dramatically.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I say we are an ungendered cat playing dead

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cathode Raymond posted:

I say we are an ungendered cat playing dead

Don't care about the gender, but yes to pretending to be dead.

Also, Felix for the name maybe? For the Canadian kids show about a kid turned into a cat.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
ungendered cat and let's go for 5 for now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I played this game recently, it was ok. Don’t mind trying it again here a little. Best of luck with your first LP.

Female. Box joint scratcher #2. Can’t think of a name.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'd go for female cat who goes by the name of Katherine, or Kat for short, since that will likely be what our new family will be calling for a lot.
I've never seen a cat that plays dead so that's obviously what we need to do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Female] cat that yowls.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Female cat called Kitty and 2. Scratch at the joins of the box. A prison is only as strong as its weakest part.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just rescued two cats recently myself.

We are an ungendered cat who yowls dramatically, much like one of my new cats.

EDIT: Morgana works for a name.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2017

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I've had two separate friends who misidentified the sex of their cat and did not realize for months, so I'll say we are nongendered. Our name is Morgana, and this buffoon's attempts at "music" are no match for our operatic yowling.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Our name is Asparagus McGee and it's never too early for a 'did I kill my cat' guilt trip, Herr Schrödinger.

I'm so apathetic about the matter of gender that I'm abstaining.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Female, Bast, 3 - DESTROY THE BOX

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Female cat who does what I feel is the most catlike thing in this kind of situation which is yowl loudly. Although I wish it would be combined with scratching as well.

edit: I have a small hope that since the guy plays so badly, he will decide that our yowling is the perfect fit for vocals and we'll start a band together.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 10, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's be a boy cat who plays dead.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Alright; it's Wednesday and time to tally up the votes! Thank you to everyone who voted!

On the subject of gender, we had only 1 vote for male, 6 for female, and 5 for genderless. Looks like we're playing a female this time! It's not like our gender will change anything for the game, but good to know.

The only name that got more than one vote was Morgana, so I guess that will be our name. It's a very nice name. Though now I'm pretty sure we look like this:

How we get out of the box actually ended in a tie, with five votes each for yowling our way out or playing dead. Time for the honored method of online coin flip to decide how we're getting out. Heads for Yowl and Tails for Play dead. ...And it's tails, so we're playing dead.

Now, let's get started again, shall we?

quote:

It's quite a feat to tip over a box you're inside of. The music continues like a B-grade soundtrack to your predicament as you repeat your attempts. When you finally manage it, Andre responds like a shot.

"God. I'm sorry, little buddy. Let's get you out of there." As he finishes his sentence, the doorbell rings.

You let out a plaintive mew as Andre makes for the door. There's a second voice then—the woman named Claire, whose pleasant, alto tones you recognize from when you were picked out at the cat shelter and stuffed in this horrible box.

"Thanks, honey," she says. "My hands were full."

You hear rustling sounds, perhaps plastic bags. Car keys clatter on wood. The low whining tone of their small child starts but is cut off when Claire says, "Andre! For heaven's sake!"

The thud of running feet ends when Claire makes it to your cardboard confinement. Her hands scrabble at the slots and tabs above you.

"What?" Andre protests. "You said you wanted me to wait!"

"Only if I managed to keep up with you in traffic! Can't you tell the poor thing's in distress?"

"I…well…I…," Andre stammers.

I'll be breaking up pages with little lines like this. Just to make things a bit more spaced out. Also I'll add any comments I feel should be made. Can't promise that they'll be witty, but they will certainly be comments.

quote:

Box flaps are twisted and pulled. Then, right above you, there is light—a lamp with five bulbs in fluted casings. It's quite fancy-looking.

"Hey there, puss," Claire says, moving back. From here you only see her head: cropped hair, a heart-shaped face.

You poke your head out farther from your biodegradable cage to see an expanse of cream carpet. You blink. Even the sofas are impressive, with curling arms just right for scratching and walnut inserts that match the coffee table. There's a flat-screen telly built into shelves to the right, and next to it is a fully working fireplace whose mantelpiece boasts handfuls of deliciously tippable trinkets.

Claire holds out a hand toward you as Andre starts up his noodling again. You consider your first move in this brand-new home. You can:

1. Make a leap for the mantelpiece. I don't like being touched by strangers.
2. Lean out toward Claire and nuzzle her arm as thanks for opening the box.
3. Launch immediate revenge on Andre by seeing if his guitar is killable.
4. Give Andre and his guitar some nuzzles to show him you like music, too…most of the time.
5. Show my contempt for humans by looking them in the eye, then turning and leaving the room.

Well, I guess we are a British cat. ...Okay then.

And this is where we get our next decision. We don't actually get to choose our name and gender for a bit, but I wanted to get it out of the way. For now, we're playing as a female named Morgana, but I'll keep the vote open until we actually reach that point. So if I get some changed minds or new votes, then we may become a male named Bast or ungendered names Kitty. But for now, we still have a new vote to get through.

Do we:
1. Make a leap for the mantelpiece. I don't like being touched by strangers.
2. Lean out toward Claire and nuzzle her arm as thanks for opening the box.
3. Launch immediate revenge on Andre by seeing if his guitar is killable.
4. Give Andre and his guitar some nuzzles to show him you like music, too…most of the time.
5. Show my contempt for humans by looking them in the eye, then turning and leaving the room.

quote:

Your Current Domestic Situation
Contempt: 55% Affection: 45%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 52% Demanding: 48%

Claire's Dislike: 50% Claire's Like: 50%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm cool with being Morgana. I like the name and the picture.

Nuzzle Claire.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
To the mantelpiece!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Show contempt :catstare:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Start indoctrination by nuzzling Claire.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

:catstare:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Start indoctrination by nuzzling Claire.

This

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Claire! My saviour! *ahem* I shall reward your intelligence with some of my face scent.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Let me kiss your arm to show my appreciation for newfound freedom!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kill the guitar.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nuzzle

Murder can come later. We want to lure them in to a state of contenment BEFORE we trip them at the top of the stairs

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Kill the guitar! Also, I like the name Bast but Morgana is nice too if it's ends up being that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. Lean out toward Claire and nuzzle her arm as thanks for opening the box. She will be richly rewarded for submitting to my commands.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, so a slam dunk here with nuzzling Claire getting 7 votes. Attacking the guitar and contempt were tied with 2, mantelpiece got one, and there were no votes for nuzzling Andre. Let's get started!

quote:

Claire's hands are smooth, and she smells of musky perfume. As she massages your head, you nuzzle the fabric of her suit, powerhouse black with a dark blue trim. The kid stares at you with a mute blend of fear and fascination. Claire is clearly knowledgable about how cats like to be stroked, and you give her a purr to reinforce her good behavior.

"Check it out, Moon, honey," Andre says to the child. "I think Mum's the favorite so far." Andre looks a little guilty, and follows this up with "I'm sorry for leaving you in the box, puss."

He leaves off his riffing to pet you too, looking genuinely apologetic.

1.Take a swipe at his hand as payback for the box experience.
2. Forgive him. Despite the box thing, he seems like a nice enough guy.
3. Act hurt. Making humans squirm with guilt is both fun and potentially useful.

Ok, so a short one this time. I think I'll update tomorrow because this is going so quickly. Anyways, now we have to wonder if we:

1.Take a swipe at his hand as payback for the box experience.
2. Forgive him. Despite the box thing, he seems like a nice enough guy.
3. Act hurt. Making humans squirm with guilt is both fun and potentially useful.

quote:

Contempt: 50% Affection: 50%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 52% Demanding: 48%
Claire's Dislike: 45% Claire's Like: 55%

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Hmm. The only thing that makes me wary of swiping at the idiot is that the child might be scared. First impressions and all. Claire is sweet and providing us shelter, but that will end if we make her spawn cry and/or bleed.

Accept stupid Andre's pettings now and do a No. 2 in his shoes later.

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 16, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. HISS SCRATCH BITE

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
#3 sounds like cats I know. :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Act hurt.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Asking our forgiveness is right and proper, reinforce such behavior with granting forgiveness.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
YES BLEED (1)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Act hurt. Cat law dictates there is a minimum of 10 minutes of acting insulted whenever a human transports you in a car.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Forgiveness is a virtue.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Forgive & [Spare]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Take a swipe at him for now. Next opportunity, we need to act affectionate towards him and hostile towards Claire, in true cat fashion.

• Locked thread