Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I liked the characters and funny rebel yell cutscenes in wolf2 but I agree with everyone, it was a huge slog to get through because the controls felt floaty as hell. Also, I never understood why the gun sounds were so so low compared to everything else. It really took the oomph out of all the fights.

Oh and Wolf2 was the game missing any indicators that you were getting shot outside your fov. Yeah, that was a really fun feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aside from the decently entertaining story I can't say there is much I liked about it. Didn't like the controls or encounter design at all. I was basically just enjoying myself enough to push on for the duration. It's odd playing a Wolfenstien game and thinking "cmon when am I gonna get to the next cutscene so i don't have to play this."

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
On a meta level I really enjoyed murdering Nazis, so it had that going for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The cutscenes arent very good. Compare the end of the two games and its like cinematic hype vs standing around giving more dumbass speeches like half the other cutscenes. The shocking stuff is cool once, the rest of the game is trash.

Even the nazi killing is boring when they dont even gib properly and just slump over

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

On a lighter subject, whos ready for lootboxes to be integrated into the new avatar system and ui coming to xbox soon?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just don't think the submarine sections were needed. They were boring interactive cut-scenes mixed with bizarre fetch quests. It really should have modeled Doom and just made the game "Kill, kill, and kill"

Also the weapon wheel not stopping or slowing time was kind of lovely. Double so when you're duel wielding and accidentally select the wrong gun for one or both hands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing that bugged me most, is that both Wolf reboots lack the things that make Doom 2016 work for me. Doom feels really dynamic. Running around full speed blasting stuff in arena like environments, blasting demons and sprinting towards precious health and bullets flying out of their corpses. The game feels relentless. Sometime wolfenstien does too, but there are things to get stuck on all over the place, the ammo and health is hard to see and sometimes hard to pick up, the movement doesn't feel right. Stuff that should be exhilarating just feels annoying. Felt that way about both of them . I won't be playing the third one.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that bugged me most, is that both Wolf reboots lack the things that make Doom 2016 work for me. Doom feels really dynamic. Running around full speed blasting stuff in arena like environments, blasting demons and sprinting towards precious health and bullets flying out of their corpses. The game feels relentless. Sometime wolfenstien does too, but there are things to get stuck on all over the place, the ammo and health is hard to see and sometimes hard to pick up, the movement doesn't feel right. Stuff that should be exhilarating just feels annoying. Felt that way about both of them . I won't be playing the third one.

I felt the same way about the first one. From all the praise it was getting I thought they'd addressed it for the sequel. Thanks for letting me know that's not the case.

Late to the party, but I just finished Gears 4. Man that ending sucked balls!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The big differentiator between Wolfenstein and Doom since the very beginning in the 90s is that the former is heavily reliant on hitscan enemies in fast-paced combat (unlike COD and the like where you can chill behind crates with your regen health). That's why they're a gigantic pain in the rear end to play with a controller, Doom '16 is much more manageable on console due to the lack of hitscan (except for the shield enemies which are rare), lenient auto aim and most of the combat encouraging getting near enemies, which greatly decreases missed shots due to analog aiming+ the lack of view recoil in most weapons and how generous it is with ammo.

There's other comparatively minor things, like TNC's obnoxiously finicky auto-pickup system and the lack of item highlighting beyond a subtle glow, but the different combat rhythm is the "big" reason.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GUI posted:

The big differentiator between Wolfenstein and Doom since the very beginning in the 90s is that the former is heavily reliant on hitscan enemies in fast-paced combat (unlike COD and the like where you can chill behind crates with your regen health). That's why they're a gigantic pain in the rear end to play with a controller, Doom '16 is much more manageable on console due to the lack of hitscan (except for the shield enemies which are rare), lenient auto aim and most of the combat encouraging getting near enemies, which greatly decreases missed shots due to analog aiming+ the lack of view recoil in most weapons and how generous it is with ammo.

There's other comparatively minor things, like TNC's obnoxiously finicky auto-pickup system and the lack of item highlighting beyond a subtle glow, but the different combat rhythm is the "big" reason.

I liked the combat more in the first game, the new colossus almost encourages you to just crank the difficulty way down and go hog wild on nazis.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wolfenstein began in the 1981's and the original was a fantastic game yet horrifically clumsy gunplay so maybe it's a homage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish all fast paced console shooters could feel as good as Titanfall 2 aka the most god tier shooter available.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wolfenstein began in the 1981's and the original was a fantastic game yet horrifically clumsy gunplay so maybe it's a homage.

The 80s Wolfensteins had lousy gunplay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

veni veni veni posted:

I wish all fast paced console shooters could feel as good as Titanfall 2 aka the most god tier shooter available.

When I trade in Wolf 2 at Video Game Heaven, Titanfall 2 will be the game I get.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It was basically all i played from oct- january a year ago.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

TheScott2K posted:

When I trade in Wolf 2 at Video Game Heaven, Titanfall 2 will be the game I get.

Titanfall 2 is probably the purest fun console shooter. It's got great single player and multiplayer and who doesn't like giant robots?

I liked it so much I bought it for PS4 and XBonx so my son could play with all of our friends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

That would be a smart move.

No game is flawless but TF2 is pretty drat close.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
They called the third xbox the xbox one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They'll call the fifth xbox the xbox 5?!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Agents of Mayhem has dropped to $19.95 Cdn/$16 US. Worth it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Agents of Mayhem has dropped to $19.95 Cdn/$16 US. Worth it?

You can get any saints row for that and it would be better

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've played all the Saints Rows.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I've played all the Saints Rows.

Well then Agents of Mayhem is almost but not quite Saints Row.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm aware... but also wary because the last few Saints Rows were stinkers IMO.

Agents seems like it got a little more polish though?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gat Out of Hell was junk but IV was a masterpiece, sir.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol its actually highly unfinished and buggy

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Saints row 2 was the best. The perfect mix of down to earth and absurd. 3 was good, 4 had some interesting direction but I think overall the game play suffered.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
3 and 4 had much better gameplay than 2 in my opinion, but the writing for 2 was the best.

4's addition of superpowers made one of the biggest gameplay components, cars, completely redundant. and the DLC powers that you'd have to go out of your way to not have at this point completely breaks the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cars in Saint's Row 3 were bad and traversal in general in freeroamers is boring and pointless. SR4 solved it by making it so you can fly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Instant Sunrise posted:

3 and 4 had much better gameplay than 2 in my opinion, but the writing for 2 was the best.

4's addition of superpowers made one of the biggest gameplay components, cars, completely redundant. and the DLC powers that you'd have to go out of your way to not have at this point completely breaks the game.

Yeah I'm not gonna disagree with that. 3 has better game play than 2 because 3 refined on 2. With 4 invalidating pretty much everything else in the game due to powers, it really kind of defeats the original game play intent.

2 is just much more solid as a game. And I liked that map more. Saints row 2 and 3 are definitely worth playing, and 4 is fun just to go through the campaign but it wasn't as fun to coop.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol its actually highly unfinished and buggy

Have you played it lately? Watched an X enhanced gameplay and it looked ok from a technical point of view. More worried about repetition/lovely jokes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Higher res doesnt make that game better

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
my life for a 4k release of prototype.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's not just higher res.

I'm going to assume you haven't actually played the game as usual. I don't come here to read second hand opinions, especially from someone whose opinion I rarely agree with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where do you usually go?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When a dev publishes a changelog 100 entries long its cause the game is extremely broken.

It may now be less broken but that doesnt solve the boring or souless parts

I hope you enjoy it and grow more hate in your heart for me when i only try to help you. Nurture you tasteless fury and grow strong in your beliefs that mediocre games are in fact great.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Infinite Warfare looks so much better than WW2 on X it’s ridiculous.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope you enjoy it and grow more hate in your heart for me when i only try to help you. Nurture you tasteless fury and grow strong in your beliefs that mediocre games are in fact great.

There's a good chance it's garbage, but to be clear I can read things on the internet too, I was looking for first hand experience - preferably on the X.

This is a recurring pattern here, otherwise I wouldn't give you poo poo for it. Please consider just not posting when you have no experience with the topic at hand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nuts and Gum posted:

my life for a 4k release of prototype.

Oh this would own with hdr as well.