Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Letterman is at his best when he's being intentionally awkward, and he's not gonna do that with Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
End of the loving World is really good. Seems more of a long movie than a series, but I enjoyed it. Some really unexpected stuff.

Took me a while to realize where I knew Alyssa from, she was in Penny Dreadful. drat actresses in their 20s playing teens gets me every time.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Any takes on Hulu’s other time travel show 11.22.63? I want to like it one episode in, but haven’t heard much about it either way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

savesthedayrocks posted:

Any takes on Hulu’s other time travel show 11.22.63? I want to like it one episode in, but haven’t heard much about it either way.

I enjoyed it. Fairly faithful to the book, nothing groundbreaking but a cool theme.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Powered through American Vandal last night and I really enjoyed it. Funny, charming, and just a little bit of actual tension there. Anyone have suggestions for something else on Netflix or Amazon up the same alley? Movies or shows work for me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savesthedayrocks posted:

It's quite good, though as with most King adaptations the ending is the weakest part.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm a 22 year old baby and Letterman is the only late night interviewer I've ever liked. His three interviews with Harmony Korine are masterpieces.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shoombo posted:

I'm a 22 year old baby and Letterman is the only late night interviewer I've ever liked. His three interviews with Harmony Korine are masterpieces.

Say what? You have links to those?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I watched all of GLOW. I didn’t love it, but it was pretty good. I’ve never seen Orange Is the New Black or anything else by the creators, so I don’t know how this compares. I did like how the relationship between Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin’s characters progressed, but overall I wasn’t super hot on it. I think I liked Marc Maron the best, which is almost kind of disappointing considering nearly all the cast are women and it looks like a good deal of the people making it are as well. Usually I like when shows keep it short, but I think this one could have used a little more time to flesh some things out. I’ll definitely watch the next season though.

But watching it reminded me of that guy a while back who kept complaining about how gross it was that you heard a woman peeing in the first episode, which is pretty hilarious now that I actually know the scene he was talking about.

Edit: Also The End of the loving World should definitely not have a second season. I loved it, but the ending was perfect and I think making more would probably just end up diluting it.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 14, 2018

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Say what? You have links to those?

Sure! The first one is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZ2Z55JjWo

The other two should be in the related videos. Just go by how shaggy he looks in each one.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I wasn't expecting The Vault to be good, but it was just aggressively bad.

That’s the Nic Cage and Elijah Wood diamond heist film, right? Yeah, it floundered quite a bit.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the Polka King with Jack Black. I may be a little biased though being from the town where it was set at.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

That’s the Nic Cage and Elijah Wood diamond heist film, right? Yeah, it floundered quite a bit.

Nah, more recent Franco heist/horror movie. You're thinking about The Trust?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Vault was awful.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

goferchan posted:

Powered through American Vandal last night and I really enjoyed it. Funny, charming, and just a little bit of actual tension there. Anyone have suggestions for something else on Netflix or Amazon up the same alley? Movies or shows work for me

settled on The Good Place btw .... almost done with the first season and it's hitting the spot pretty well. probably gonna check out The World Is loving Over next

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Vault really cheated for that twist.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vault was pointless and cheap

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I enjoyed the Polka King with Jack Black. I may be a little biased though being from the town where it was set at.

I watched that this morning; I liked it, even though given the Netflix Original branding I was expecting it to be mediocre at best.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nah, more recent Franco heist/horror movie. You're thinking about The Trust?

Ah, dang, that’s the one I was thinking of, yeah. They were trying to break into a super-fortified diamond vault in The Trust, my mind mixed it up.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 14, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I had no idea it was based on a true thing. I need to track down the documentary it was based on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
To the Wonder is tight, y'all.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'd been meaning to watch Bright for a while. Finally watched it.

I thought it was pretty fun. I heard it's getting a sequel and I'm looking forward to that. Kinda disappointed with all the critics making GBS threads all over it.

Then again being a COLOSSAL science-fiction and fantasy nerd I kinda knew going in that I'd probably enjoy it, so I'm biased. I felt some Shadowrun vibes while watching it. I would happily watch it again, but I'd love to see more in that world.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 14, 2018

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

K. Waste posted:

To the Wonder is tight, y'all.

Malick is still batting 1000, despite the naysayers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't hate the Vault as much as the rest of you but I didn't like it enough that I feel like defending it either. The end was pretty poo poo. I thought everything else was passable.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't hate the Vault as much as the rest of you but I didn't like it enough that I feel like defending it either. The end was pretty poo poo. I thought everything else was passable.

This pretty much sums it up. I went in cold because my wife and I were just looking for something random to watch, and the premise was goofy enough we thought it'd be good fun. It kinda was, but yeah, it's not like it'll be a cult classic or something. I also agree that the ending was trash.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

This pretty much sums it up. I went in cold because my wife and I were just looking for something random to watch, and the premise was goofy enough we thought it'd be good fun. It kinda was, but yeah, it's not like it'll be a cult classic or something. I also agree that the ending was trash.

The robbery was just so damned frustrating. Yeah, competence in criminals is probably unrealistic and they were trying to show family dynamics, but the sheer level of poor decisions made it hard to watch. Then the supernatural part was unremarkable.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea it was based on a true thing. I need to track down the documentary it was based on.

You’re in luck! The doc ‘The Man Who Would Be Polka King’ is also on Netflix!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I had no idea what a great movie Thelma and Louise is! Every scene is packed with detail and character development. I loved that the dirt bag husband walks out of his house with coupons pinned all over the bulletin boards and steps right up to a Porsche. I love in the beginning when the girls are totally on their own and paranoid, and all the shots are framed with creepy guys out of focus in the background. Buying nips instead of bottles. Harvey Keitel laughing as he's running out of the rain. The symbolism of big rigs. Even all the mid-century diners, which are just cool, and, is this the movie that connected those diners to outlaws, like we see in pulp fiction?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So Dredd just popped up on German Netflix. It's still extremely good and focused action, go watch it if you can.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 16, 2018

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The two biggest crimes in human history were King of the Hill and Dredd leaving US Netflix.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are either Marie Antoinette or Defiance worth my time?

Finished neo yokio and i found it pretty charming overall. The backlash still mystifies me. Hopefully it gets a second season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The two biggest crimes in human history were King of the Hill and Dredd leaving US Netflix.

Pretty much every other Fox animated show not named The Simpsons is on Hulu, so I imagine King of the Hill will wind up there at some point.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dredd was terrible when it came out and it's terrible now

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

Please. Dredd's the movie that kicked me off my high horse and got me to enjoy action films again. That movie's as solid as your opinion is wrong.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping you're one of the poor folks who accidentally mistake Dredd for the 90's Stallone movie.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 16, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Please. Dredd's the movie that kicked me off my high horse and got me to enjoy action films again. That movie's as solid as your opinion is wrong.

:same:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The blu ray that I wore out and had to replace because I'd played it too much says otherwise.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve probably watched Dredd more than any other movie outside of stuff I or my siblings watched when we were young, it just thoroughly kicks rear end while filing out some interesting ideas on the police state. But mostly you’re watching it for Karl Urban scowling and blowing off kneecaps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve probably watched Dredd more than any other movie outside of stuff I or my siblings watched when we were young, it just thoroughly kicks rear end while filing out some interesting ideas on the police state. But mostly you’re watching it for Karl Urban scowling and blowing off kneecaps.

It was my go-to movie action movie for like 6 months, probably watched it like ten times during that span, then it was replaced by The Raid, then John Wick and now John Wick 2. Basically at all times I have some flashy action eye candy to go to when I'm itching for it and then after a while something comes along to replace it. Was hoping Atomic Blonde would be the successor to JW2 but it turned out to be a completely different beast(in a good way, it just wasn't John Wick 3).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My brother was visiting me last year, we got stoned and I put Dredd on and I don't think he blinked during the entire time. Dredd rules so so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are you disappointed that every person Dredd kills does not end a cycle of violence?