Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in. Would be useful for victoria 2 leaders as well.

I'd like to be in as Novayya Aljadid, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Hashim you've opened the gates of hell with this

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Iirwin Al-Almania shall live and die only for Great Mahdiyyah.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

We Are The World

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to get in too, but have no knowledge of Arabic whatsoever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WilliamAnderson posted:

wilyam 'andirsun

I don't know if there's a better way that isn't just transliteration

Muradismat ibn Rajul is the best I can come up with trying to actually translate and keep the meanings behind the name.*

*I did this because you may recall, old friend, that this is my shoot name.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

can’t wait for the goon curse to hit all our goon named commanders as well and make them extra ineffective

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zikan posted:

can’t wait for the goon curse to hit all our goon named commanders as well and make them extra ineffective

I thought that Hashim was going to intentionally code it this way.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

Most are just usernames translated to Arabic, so Qunas is arabic for Sniper (snipee)

Oh Allah, I feel honored. :allears:

However, I respectively ask you to please change my name from “Qunas-un” to “Musad-un”. I am not sure if this is grammatically correct, but I found “Musad” from مصاب (using google translate for “Casualty” or “Injured”). My username is meant to embody the goon spirit of getting sniped at, not the glory of actually being a sniper. See also, e.g.,

Zikan posted:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't participated in the thread enough to earn Andalusization, but I am extremely curious as to how my name would convert if someone would like to take a shot.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Faqadat Eadhriti al-Mukhayam is ready to fight for Qadis.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I haven't participated in the thread enough to earn Andalusization, but I am extremely curious as to how my name would convert if someone would like to take a shot.

Alsharit al-Azraq. With a quick search I found,

Wikipedia Article for Lemniscate posted:

The word comes from the Latin "lēmniscātus" meaning "decorated with ribbons", from the Greek λημνίσκος meaning ribbons.

I then used the surefire way of Google Translate. The name roughly means "The Blue Ribbon".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in. Would be useful for victoria 2 leaders as well.

Sure; throw Hayatalriz Mithliu-Aljins Alsiriyi into the fray, though at this point we'd be more of an Ibriz thing.

EDIT: Translates to "Gay gay hittlers", thanks Google Translate!

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 13, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
I'll incorporate as many of the suggestions as I can, with those that don't make the cut showing up as generals in v2 instead. Keep in mind that we only have a certain number of armies that can be led though, with a maximum of 4 commanders assigned to each army. That means a lot of you guys are probably just gonna be leading garrisons or cities or something, without much of an opportunity to show up in the actual LP. I'll see what I can do though.

Also, all the stats and traits are randomised, so don't blame me if you end up being a cretin of a general that can't tell one end of a rifle from the other.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 13, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ibn Bibil ready for service. Who needs a first name anyway?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Also, all the stats and traits were randomised, so don't blame me if you end up being cretin of a general that can't tell one end of a rifle from the other.

Way 2meirl4meirl...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ibblebibble posted:

ibn Bibil ready for service. Who needs a first name anyway?

Cyrah ibn cyrah ibn bibil

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Luhood posted:

Alsharit al-Azraq. With a quick search I found,

I then used the surefire way of Google Translate. The name roughly means "The Blue Ribbon".

That's awesome, thanks!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Lus Al-Kamwys ready to lead...

Hashim posted:

That means a lot of you guys are probably just gonna be leading garrisons or cities or something, without much of an opportunity to show up in the actual LP.

... or maybe just take care of some city or something!

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 14, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'd volunteer, but I dunno how'd you translate Yvonmukluk into Arabic.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I'll volunteer, closest I could get was Alhawa Wayuzardri, or Air Wizards according to Google.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Jahan Jahan, Kurdish transfer student, accidently filled out the wrong paper work and joined the army.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I'm technically dead, but I wouldn't mind a particularity pious army getting named after a famous martyr.

Edit: Or possibly an army mascot, like that cool Polish bear who moved around artillery rounds.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2018

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Can i nominate flavius belisarius al rumi to be included, because i always found some random roman guy in the middle of all of this to be funny.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as Rabab al-Majnuna, if it's not too late.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd volunteer, but I dunno how'd you translate Yvonmukluk into Arabic.

ibn Hidha'? Mukluks are a type of boot.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I added most of the submitted names as commanders in MotE, with the rest either in the starting v2 scenario or scripted into appearing later in the game. That said, perfectly encapsulating the Majlis is:

cos you just know the Cyrahids are never gonna die out.

edit: As for the Dalai Ullama, his spirit lives on as the standard of one of our armies. Carrying his holy banner is considered to be amongst the highest honours in the Majlisi Guard -

Though his standard may be lost to the enemy if his army is defeated in battles. And I don't imagine the Mahdi will treat it all that well.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 14, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hashim posted:

Though his standard may be lost to the enemy if his army is defeated in battles. And I don't imagine the Mahdi will treat it all that well.

Why not? He was one of the Faithful throughout...

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I would think the Madhiyyah revere him as a martyr.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I'll have him be a standard for the Mahdiyyah, in that case. Makes more sense. Also, all you traitors have also been added as generals for the Mahdiyyah.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fizzil posted:

Can i nominate flavius belisarius al rumi to be included, because i always found some random roman guy in the middle of all of this to be funny.

I was thinking about volunteering myself but I know almost nothing about Arabic Romanization. I like your suggestion.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I was thinking about volunteering myself but I know almost nothing about Arabic Romanization. I like your suggestion.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Good to see cosplay being invented 200 years early. The benefits of getting that center are rolling in!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

:eyepop:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I cant wait to be caught and burned again, as is his will.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Technowolf posted:

ibn Hidha'? Mukluks are a type of boot.
So's Caligae. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Yvon 'Mukluk' ibn Hidha is ready to die for the nationdefend some out-of-the-way garrison from the enemy.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 14, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
My name is vaguely arabic I'd love to be a commander!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hashim posted:

I added most of the submitted names as commanders in MotE, with the rest either in the starting v2 scenario or scripted into appearing later in the game. That said, perfectly encapsulating the Majlis is:

cos you just know the Cyrahids are never gonna die out.

:saddowns:

But it's true, we will never die

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"Incompetent", "Pisspoor", "Madman"

Man, we're gonna be remembered by the history books alright. Just for the wrong reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This will be like if the Qing Empire at the time of the First Sino-Japanese War didn't have the advantage of size.