Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

VideoGameVet posted:

I have to drive Carlsbad -> LA and back (the same day) more than I like (trains don't run late hours).

So doing that without any need to charge would be great.

Hopefully, they support fast-charge for longer trips.

The Soul EV currently has a dc fast charge port and is supposedly changing to CCS. I can’t imagine the Niro EV won’t have CCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kill me now posted:

The hybrid Niro that is out now is a real nice compact hybrid crossover. I have no doubt the EV version will be a very nice vehicle as well. I just hope they are as close to that 238mi mark as possible. The previous reports were that it would get a 50kwh battery which would put it at around 185mi. Not bad but not nearly as good as 238

Saw this:

The Niro EV Concept is powered by a next-generation electric vehicle powertrain with a high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, paired with a powerful 150 kW electric motor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

The Audi E-Tron and Jaguar I-PACE are AWD, Audi with three motors, Jaguar with 2. Granted they are not out yet but I think both are supposed to have limited availability by fall.

Ahh cool, though I was hoping for more small car size. Tesla's the only one for now (once they start producing AWD model 3s of course). Admittedly it's a niche for now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How are Bolt second hand prices doing in the US? It has fallen quite hard off the radar, I'm wondering if the prices might as well. Not so far in Norway at least, but maybe in a year or so.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ola posted:

How are Bolt second hand prices doing in the US? It has fallen quite hard off the radar, I'm wondering if the prices might as well. Not so far in Norway at least, but maybe in a year or so.

I don't think it has really been out long enough to tell.

The cheapest used cars on cars.com are around 28 grand, and there are new ones listed at $29k. :iiam:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Trash Trick posted:

Is there another thread discussing autonomous stuff here? Sorry if I am blind. Wondering if there's any discussion of the control-less bolt that GM just announced.

I am not aware of one, but this is just one step beyond Google's vans driving around Phoenix without a safety driver. It's definitely not something that's going to be sold anytime soon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

I am not aware of one, but this is just one step beyond Google's vans driving around Phoenix without a safety driver. It's definitely not something that's going to be sold anytime soon.

I don't think they will be for sale, but probably an option for Lyft or Maven in specific geofenced areas of specific cities.

I think very soon the appliance car market will be leveled by subscriptions to manufacturers ride-sharing services. The price of the service will be advertised against the cost and inconvenience of refueling, insuring, maintaining, and parking your own vehicle.

I think the transition from traffic to driver free zones to car free zones in the densest part of a lot of cities will happen pretty quickly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ola posted:

How are Bolt second hand prices doing in the US?
Going to have to wait until December of this year to start telling. Most of the first set of 2 year leases will hit the market then.

Most of what I see now are ones where the folks couldn't pay the lease, so they're essentially priced as new with, like, $800 taken off.

If its anything like the rest of the EVs, we'll be looking at $16k used

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powershift posted:

I think the transition from traffic to driver free zones to car free zones in the densest part of a lot of cities will happen pretty quickly.

I still think we need to get past people liking to keep things in their car (even ignoring car seats).

My car is relatively sparse, but I have: sunglasses, headphones for calls, gum, glasses cleaner, money to give panhandlers, pen and paper, charging cables for phones (long enough to reach back seat), advil, an umbrella, reusable shopping bags, and an emergency kit. Plus my phone is Bluetooth paired. Some of that can come standard, but in general it’s going to feel like taking a taxi instead of being driven in my car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I’ve already switched to Uber for going out, and work will be easy enough as I’ll just keep everything in my gym bag and briefcase.

What’s going to seriously slow adoption of a pure subscription model is families. I have four kids, including two toddlers. We have supplies in every one of our cars on top of the ton of poo poo we bring with us specifically for the outing.

I don’t see driver free city centers any time soon, but who knows. I personally think we are a good 20 years out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I still think we need to get past people liking to keep things in their car (even ignoring car seats).

My car is relatively sparse, but I have: sunglasses, headphones for calls, gum, glasses cleaner, money to give panhandlers, pen and paper, charging cables for phones (long enough to reach back seat), advil, an umbrella, reusable shopping bags, and an emergency kit. Plus my phone is Bluetooth paired. Some of that can come standard, but in general it’s going to feel like taking a taxi instead of being driven in my car.

Get a purse :shrug:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

eyebeem posted:

I’ve already switched to Uber for going out, and work will be easy enough as I’ll just keep everything in my gym bag and briefcase.

What’s going to seriously slow adoption of a pure subscription model is families. I have four kids, including two toddlers. We have supplies in every one of our cars on top of the ton of poo poo we bring with us specifically for the outing.

I don’t see driver free city centers any time soon, but who knows. I personally think we are a good 20 years out.

You are closer to it than the others who think it’s right around the corner. GM is being pretty aggressive with 2019 as its date (but we don’t think that’s proper deployment, just more testing). For the first five years at least, these vehicles will be owned and operated by OEMs as fleets so they can self-insure, and use them until they fall apart.

But a lot of OEMs are pushing back their timetables from the 2021 we kept hearing a couple of years ago. Volvo is pushing back their DriveMe program until 2019, and that’s just meant to gather data on how people would use AVs.

I think it would be 2040 before we see city centers banning human drivers entirely, and there will be a mixed fleet for a lot longer than most evangelists will have you believe.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I think EVs will have their place, but the business model of ride-hailing autonomous vehicles? I wonder.

You take your family of four on a ride in one and the youngest kid pukes in the back seat. What happens? Are all the vehicles being video recorded? How does the car know that it needs to go somewhere to get cleaned?

I just have these thoughts of gross cum- and puke-stained autonomous shitboxes out there.

I hope I'm wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your car shows up, it's gross, you press the "someone dun hosed this car up" button on the app. Car goes to get cleaned, you get a new one hailed, and the previous rider gets charged for the cleanup.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

bull3964 posted:

Your car shows up, it's gross, you press the "someone dun hosed this car up" button on the app. Car goes to get cleaned, you get a new one hailed, and the previous rider gets charged for the cleanup.
I hope there's video, and some sort of incentive for admitting *you* hosed up the car (like the cleaning bill is doubled if someone else has to say it, because you've wasted their waiting time and that section of car-travel fuel and wear by not reporting it).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

This review seems basically what I expected: the core experience of driving the car is nice, but the central screen is weird and there are a ton of small fit-and-finish problems that can't be easily fixed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I've moved mostly past the point of needing anything specific in the car for the kid, aside from the car seat itself. But even that seems like a big hurdle. I don't want to haul a car seat into work because we used an autonomous ride hailing service to get there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Seems like you'd just order a car with a carseat already installed. But yeah, moving families around does sound like one of the trickier problems to solve for a hypothetical autonomous car rental system.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seems like you'd just order a car with a carseat already installed. But yeah, moving families around does sound like one of the trickier problems to solve for a hypothetical autonomous car rental system.

If there are any hypothetical issues with car cleanliness, they would be an order of magnitude larger for a baby carseat. Yeuck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Problem then is that car seats vary based on the size of the kid, and usually have some pain in the dick adjustment beyond that to make it actually fit.

At least she's almost big enough to just use a booster, and those are something that is pretty much one side fits most.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huh wow it's almost like shared car ownership is something that has been repeatedly attempted literally since the car was invented and it never really works on a large scale because people like to own their own vehicle if they have the option and merely adding "the car drives itself" to the equation doesn't in any way address the fundamental problems with the concept

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solution: People with kids should be locked in their homes until the child is old enough to no longer require a car seat.

More seriously, a buddy with a ~4y/o daughter was talking new cars with me awhile ago (he was thinking about getting a BMW M2, ended up with a CTS-V,) and I mentioned that she wouldn’t be in a car seat for much longer, so he could at least consider coupes.

Apparently, the guidance on that has gone way, WAY the gently caress up? Like, car seat till they’re loving twelve? What the gently caress?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've moved mostly past the point of needing anything specific in the car for the kid, aside from the car seat itself. But even that seems like a big hurdle. I don't want to haul a car seat into work because we used an autonomous ride hailing service to get there.

We didn’t own a car until our kid was 4yo, but I didn’t take her to work so I didn’t have that problem. I could get that car seat in and out like a champ.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seems like you'd just order a car with a carseat already installed

Many parents aren’t going to trust another’s choice of car seat, and installing it for someone else is a liability mess. Cab drivers won’t do it, hospitals won’t do it, car rental companies won’t do it.

MrYenko posted:

Apparently, the guidance on that has gone way, WAY the gently caress up? Like, car seat till they’re loving twelve? What the gently caress?

Laws and guidance are usually car seat until ~4, booster until ~8, and back seat (but no special seat) until 12. Mostly it’s been the same since 2000 or so, with some idiot states straggling and permitting 4yo kids to be out of a car seat.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Laws and guidance are usually car seat until ~4, booster until ~8, and back seat (but no special seat) until 12. Mostly it’s been the same since 2000 or so, with some idiot states straggling and permitting 4yo kids to be out of a car seat.

I remember my grandfather forbidding me from using a seat belt when he drove me home from kindergarten one day in the front seat of his 73 Nova. He thought I didn't trust his driving.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

This is a decent review, the one a few pages ago was trash.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Roadie posted:

This review seems basically what I expected: the core experience of driving the car is nice, but the central screen is weird and there are a ton of small fit-and-finish problems that can't be easily fixed.

That has me optimistic for the Model Y. I was hoping for that to be my next car, at least if they can make self-driving available by the time my 2010 Prius starts wearing out.

FilthyImp posted:

Most of what I see now are ones where the folks couldn't pay the lease, so they're essentially priced as new with, like, $800 taken off.

In my experience, most used cars less than 3 years old are priced so close to new that they're hardly cost effective.

Sagebrush posted:

huh wow it's almost like shared car ownership is something that has been repeatedly attempted literally since the car was invented and it never really works on a large scale because people like to own their own vehicle if they have the option and merely adding "the car drives itself" to the equation doesn't in any way address the fundamental problems with the concept

Self-driving does address at least some of the worst inconveniences with car sharing (namely, having to travel from your home to where the cars are kept, and back again when you're done). That might not be enough to displace even a majority of private ownership, but it would be enough to make car sharing reasonably practical for many people.

MrYenko posted:

Solution: People with kids should be locked in their homes until the child is old enough to no longer require a car seat.

Or maybe anyone too poor to easily afford a car should consider limiting themselves to one kid.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cockmaster posted:

In my experience, most used cars less than 3 years old are priced so close to new that they're hardly cost effective.

This has not been the case with all of the insanely cheap to lease EVs that have come out in various states the last few years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

I wish someone had told me that when I sold my year-old Model S at 30% off new.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

We didn’t own a car until our kid was 4yo, but I didn’t take her to work so I didn’t have that problem. I could get that car seat in and out like a champ.

I don't take her to work, but her school is right along my route there, and also way too far from home to stop back there and leave the seat.

I do still think that autonomous ride-sharing could be a big improvement over car ownership for a lot of people. It might not fully replace it, but if it worked out to be cheaper to use said service than own a newer car, then I could see it making more sense to use it for most driving and push ownership towards more niche needs.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Arkane posted:

My Model 3 decision is probably about a month away? (non-tesla owner, but west coast, and near the front of the line), and I'm pretty torn on it. Obviously it is a very cool car that I will likely love to drive.

On the flip side....the build quality complaints, and the fact that they may be rushing these first cars out is a point of definite concern. The other concern is that I would be overspending for a car that may be surpassed at a cheaper price within a couple of years by a different competitor. How worried should I be about these concerns?

Your decision might be sooner than you think. I’m in a similar situation (not a prior owner, West Coast, etc.) and have already picked up my car.

It really depends on how long you’re willing or able to wait.

If cost is an issue, I would recommend waiting until more baseline options are available, as those are likely to be available within a year.

I asked a couple of salespeople about future leasing options and though I got no real answers, my guess is that leasing options are probably not going to be available this year.

What build quality complaints are you concerned about?

If you’re concerned that a new car is going to surpassed and outdated in an ownership lifetime (i.e. 10 years), that probability is basically 100%. Even old-school manufacturers make huge improvements in their 2/3 and 5 year update cycles. In the EV and autonomous driving technological fronts this is going to be even more noticeably the case.
Buy a new car the same way you’d think about buying a new top-line iPhone or Android. Like clockwork there’s going to be a better model in 12 months. It sucks, but this is a great thing about consuming in a market that innovates.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You have to use a car seat in a taxi in loving Florida now. Sure it is safer but what a pain in the dick. Pretty sure the back seat of a panther is safer then an APC.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elephanthead posted:

You have to use a car seat in a taxi in loving Florida now. Sure it is safer but what a pain in the dick. Pretty sure the back seat of a panther is safer then an APC.

Body on frame vehicles with their origins in the 70s are known for being super safe.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
now you hit a nice crumple zone car not another body on frame death machine.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I wish someone had told me that when I sold my year-old Model S at 30% off new.

Well, I was referring to gasoline cars - I had always assumed that rapid EV depreciation was mostly due to newer technology coming out, whereas the Bolt hasn't been around long enough for that to happen to it (though who knows what'll happen when Tesla sorts out Model 3 production).

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cockmaster posted:

Well, I was referring to gasoline cars - I had always assumed that rapid EV depreciation was mostly due to newer technology coming out, whereas the Bolt hasn't been around long enough for that to happen to it (though who knows what'll happen when Tesla sorts out Model 3 production).

I got my 2016 Miata that had an original MSRP of ~$32,500 for $21,995 with under 10k on the clock
I got my 2007 Magnum SRT8 that has an original MSRP of $42k for $33k with 3k mileage in 2007
I got my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with an original MSRP of $55,740 for $42,895 with 7k miles in 2012

What are you talking about.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kill me now posted:

I got my 2016 Miata that had an original MSRP of ~$32,500 for $21,995 with under 10k on the clock

brb, getting a Miata.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hackjack posted:

Your decision might be sooner than you think. I’m in a similar situation (not a prior owner, West Coast, etc.) and have already picked up my car.

It really depends on how long you’re willing or able to wait.

If cost is an issue, I would recommend waiting until more baseline options are available, as those are likely to be available within a year.

I asked a couple of salespeople about future leasing options and though I got no real answers, my guess is that leasing options are probably not going to be available this year.

What build quality complaints are you concerned about?

If you’re concerned that a new car is going to surpassed and outdated in an ownership lifetime (i.e. 10 years), that probability is basically 100%. Even old-school manufacturers make huge improvements in their 2/3 and 5 year update cycles. In the EV and autonomous driving technological fronts this is going to be even more noticeably the case.
Buy a new car the same way you’d think about buying a new top-line iPhone or Android. Like clockwork there’s going to be a better model in 12 months. It sucks, but this is a great thing about consuming in a market that innovates.

With any other OEM you’d be right but Tesla doesn’t bother with model years and just makes incremental improvements as and when. If it’s a software thing they’ll roll it out to everyone. If it’s a hardware change obviously that doesn’t get sent to existing owners.

However, to get to his concerns, it’s a brand new car from a company that’s known to have teething troubles...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cockmaster posted:

EVs are not depreciating that badly. I mean they are horribly off of MSRP but my understanding is Leafs basically never sold for MSRP and that was before you got to the minimum in $7,500 in federal tax incentives and various state and local incentives, various grants and whatever losses were being eaten by the manufacturers on leases.

I forgot where I saw it but someone did all the math with various incentives etc and EVs are depreciating at a pretty much the higher end of average. Not great but hardly the financial albatrosses they look like.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

drgitlin posted:

With any other OEM you’d be right but Tesla doesn’t bother with model years and just makes incremental improvements as and when. If it’s a software thing they’ll roll it out to everyone. If it’s a hardware change obviously that doesn’t get sent to existing owners.

However, to get to his concerns, it’s a brand new car from a company that’s known to have teething troubles...

Shouldn’t that make the point more valid? The faster and more frequent changes occur, the more quickly a car that’s the most up to date will lose that status of newest and best. It feels bad, but it’s something every new car (or phone, computer, home appliance etc.) owner/buyer will go through at some point.

Which concerns? The build quality concerns? Yes, I agree, which is why I want to find out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't take her to work, but her school is right along my route there, and also way too far from home to stop back there and leave the seat.

I do still think that autonomous ride-sharing could be a big improvement over car ownership for a lot of people. It might not fully replace it, but if it worked out to be cheaper to use said service than own a newer car, then I could see it making more sense to use it for most driving and push ownership towards more niche needs.

I agree. I live in a city with access to car-sharing services (Reach Now (BMW) and Car2Go (Daimler). The most I've had to walk to a car is about 4 minutes from my house, so this was not a huge burden, and I think a pretty close comparator to an autonomous car picking you up. Given where I live, and my standard commute, it was actually cost neutral to use these as a commuting tool (they park for free on city streets, which is a significant cost savings for me). We were in the market for a new car (the 98 civic had seen better days) and we really needed to consider whether to keep having 2 cars, or to down size to one.

We have 2 kids (5 and 2 yo.), so the car seat dilemma was one of the primary problems. I think when my oldest can do a booster, we'll likely go to one car, and use the car sharing as the secondary 'car'. Boosters are pretty easy to pack and install, whereas car seats are a giant pain, especially when they outgrow LATCH.

The benefits of autonomous only increase the benefits, as you wouldn't even need cost center of city parking, or require city density to make it work from a fleet perspective.
I think if these become real, there are lots of use cases that will reduce car ownership, even if they don't eliminate it. In my case, the reduction of cars as families age is a potentially significant one.

• Locked thread