Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Getting a mount isnt the big hurdle, anyway. It's riding training. I would assume that getting a mount into people's hands will get more people training Riding and, subsequently, more people using Crowns to level it quick.

Yeah I picked up ESO during the last sale, and had myself a horse within a few days of playing. That was one of the things that won me over, actually; I was worried that they were going to make the grind excruciating, to drive me to the Crown store, but it was pleasantly easy and rewarding to scrape together that first 10k gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Getting a mount isnt the big hurdle, anyway. It's riding training. I would assume that getting a mount into people's hands will get more people training Riding and, subsequently, more people using Crowns to level it quick.

Oh most definitely. The first time I Cyro'd a few days ago I was lagging behind ennuid/sluggo/sadpluto so much that it started to piss me off. They'd call out a location and start off, and by the time I got there it was usually almost over. On top of that I had a pve healplar - so poo poo was already annoying lol. I got some points so that's fine.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Styxscout
May 13, 2011

I predict a Riot
Is anyone doing Guild invites still?

Need an invite on @saggerslmj on NA PC

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Same here @authunsa

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Just a quick question - is the “Race Matters!” Still true, and how stupid am I to try and build a heal-Templar-Khajiit? I’ve often played thief khajiit in Elder Scrolls games, but in MMOs I usually play a healer.

I’d like to combine both, but I dunno if that’s really dumb.

e: For what it’s worth I figure I would mostly be leveling/questing in a small group with friends, and I’d personally like to heal for dungeons, including endgame.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Just a quick question - is the “Race Matters!” Still true, and how stupid am I to try and build a heal-Templar-Khajiit? I’ve often played thief khajiit in Elder Scrolls games, but in MMOs I usually play a healer.

I’d like to combine both, but I dunno if that’s really dumb.

e: For what it’s worth I figure I would mostly be leveling/questing in a small group with friends, and I’d personally like to heal for dungeons, including endgame.

Race doesn't really matter, you're talking like a couple % DPS/HPS at the top end. Especially doesn't really matter for your first character.

I would caution you that leveling up as pure healer will not work well, but leveling with some healing skills + destruction staff (put all attribute points into magicka) will work VERY well, and when you hit 15 and can use 2 bars I'd roll destruction as your main bar and restoration staff as your back bar.

One thing about ESO is that once you level up one character to max level, every other character is exponentially easier for a few reasons:

1) There are sort of 2 max levels, Level 50 and CP-160 (champion points), level 50 is when you stop getting skillpoints/attribute points from xp, CP-160 is when everything stops scaling and monsters/gear no longer get bigger numbers.
2) CP carries over to other characters, so once you hit 50 on your first character and start accumulating CP, every character after that, once they hit 50, will automatically become CP whatever you are at
3) CP applies to characters UNDER 50 as well, you can spend those 400 CP points as a level 5 and get all the bonuses, while still getting the level scaling benefits, you just wear level 5 gear.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2018

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Race matters a little, but mostly for very high-end content, and there are a lot of things that have a bigger impact on your performance.

Any class can heal to some extent - Resto staff abilities are available to everyone and almost every class has at least a few abilities that compliment those.

If you like healing, and you want to be a thieving catman I would recommend taking a look at Nightblade as an option. My main is a magicka Nightblade healer and it's a shitton of fun. If you've played WoW, it's like a discipline priest - I'm healing my group by ripping the blood out of enemies and shoving it into my friends.

As a bonus, when I'm not in dungeons, I can slot the Nightblade invisibility spell and go around town stealing and murdering.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MF_James posted:

Race doesn't really matter, you're talking like a couple % DPS/HPS at the top end. Especially doesn't really matter for your first character.

I would caution you that leveling up as pure healer will not work well, but leveling with some healing skills + destruction staff (put all attribute points into magicka) will work VERY well, and when you hit 15 and can use 2 bars I'd roll destruction as your main bar and restoration staff as your back bar.

Cool thanks. A friend got an MMO itch so we’re diving into this one... Any other common newb pitfalls not covered in the OP? Also, does building like that still allow me to be effective healing through group content pre-end game? Is there any sort of healing vs leveling “mode” skill or “lite” respect like other MMOs have?

E: Also just caught the post above. Is that nightblade effective for a primary healer role? We will have a 4 stack starting out together, so I really need to be able to manage.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 11, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Cool thanks. A friend got an MMO itch so we’re diving into this one... Any other common newb pitfalls not covered in the OP? Also, does building like that still allow me to be effective healing through group content pre-end game? Is there any sort of healing vs leveling “mode” skill or “lite” respect like other MMOs have?

pitfalls hmmmm not that I can think of off the top of my head, other than some skills straight up suck, but if you have questions as you unlock skills just ask in guild/on here. You will feel VERY skill point starved early and eventually you'll get enough that you have some to spare, so don't worry too much about that.

Yes, building dps/heals will allow you to heal any non-endgame content, it's actually what good healers do. Also, you will have enough skill points to entertain dps and healing skills, and you can swap skills around as needed, so if you need 10 healing skills (you don't) you could slot those for a specific dungeon and then swap to 10 DPS skills the next dungeon (and swap gear accordingly). This game is super flexible, though it doesn't completely feel that way for the first 10-20 levels due to lack of skill points.

I 100% wouldn't recommend running dungeons with non-goons until you're higher level (hell I recommend not doing it at all until you can solo dungeons tbqh), but once you hit level 10 you can start doing random dungeons, once a day it will give you a BIG XP bonus (think full level for a single 15-25 minute run), if you do more than once, the subsequent runs give you a minor xp bonus. A lot of goons will offer normal randoms in chat, I recommend doing them, you get a skill point for running a dungeon the first time (via a quest) and the xp bonus is huge, most of the goons doing this can solo the dungeons and are just getting other people to come to make it faster and spread the XP love.

Also, have fun with the game, it's a loving blast.

*edit* also, saw you have a 4 stack, don't worry if people outlevel each other, the game scales everything, so a level 1 and a CP-160 can group and kill things together, the only difference is the amount of skill points afforded and the gear you're going to have, in fact, the level 1 will probably have higher stats over all.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I haven't done Trials with it but a nightblade can absolutely be a primary healer for at least Veteran dungeons.

My biggest tip to y'all starting out would be to treat this like a TES game more than an MMO. Go where you want, do what you want, and choose fun over optimization. It's a fanfuckingtastic world to explore and there's very little reason to rush to "endgame" like most MMOs.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
One of my alts is a wood elf warden healer and it works out great. Healing vet dungeons is a breeze (unless it's a poo poo pub group, but that's par for the course for any support player).

As mentioned, race only really comes into play if you're trying to squeeze that last few percent of DPS/healing/survivability out of your character to tackle exceptionally tough content, such as vet hardmode trials. Otherwise, play what you like and you'll do just fine. Learning your class and playing it well factors far more into your performance than your race choice ever will.

And also as mentioned, Nightblade healers kick rear end. :haw:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Just play Argonian.

That way not only will you be cool as hell, you'll be better at magic and healing.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

MF_James posted:

One thing about ESO is that once you level up one character to max level, every other character is exponentially easier for a few reasons:

1) There are sort of 2 max levels, Level 50 and CP-160 (champion points), level 50 is when you stop getting skillpoints/attribute points from xp, CP-160 is when everything stops scaling and monsters/gear no longer get bigger numbers.
2) CP carries over to other characters, so once you hit 50 on your first character and start accumulating CP, every character after that, once they hit 50, will automatically become CP whatever you are at
3) CP applies to characters UNDER 50 as well, you can spend those 400 CP points as a level 5 and get all the bonuses, while still getting the level scaling benefits, you just wear level 5 gear.

That's a big help for me too, thank you. Can I start PVP'ing at level 50 or do I have to wait for some measure of CP points?

Also, is there a goon trading guild? Lastly, can someone explain rotation for a stam DK dual wielder? I see different amount of DPS when screwing around, but I'm not sure what is optimal.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

That's a big help for me too, thank you. Can I start PVP'ing at level 50 or do I have to wait for some measure of CP points?

Also, is there a goon trading guild? Lastly, can someone explain rotation for a stam DK dual wielder? I see different amount of DPS when screwing around, but I'm not sure what is optimal.

There is a sub-50 PvP ground which is decent, I'm not sure on the population now, but it was decent back a year or two ago when I was doing it.

I think right now ALL PvP campaigns have CP turned off, this is (usually) not the case, but there's always 1 campaign at least without CP and that's often what goons do as their home campaign.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Paging ser Flooby to the thread

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

MoraleHazard posted:

If you wanna kick it with the rest of the Chill Bros then your CP is irrelevent since we play non-CP. Come join us any time! Just type "swag69" if you see Froidbuster in Cyrodiil.

MoraleHazard posted:

What specific questions do you have? Have a look through this post (written by yours truly) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&userid=204394&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post477979676 . I'd be happy to answer any further stuff you need to know or hangout in game at my house with a big robot we can beat up. I can show you a couple different rotations depending on what flavor you like, though my basic one I outline in that post is the most "new DK/most content" friendly. It's a place to start, at least.

Goatness
Dec 2, 2005
Been playing this a little off and on, currently a 26 nightblade. Is the only way to respec with the crown store items?
Also can I get a guild invite please? @Aranolbor

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
In Vivec City or any of the faction capitals (Elden Root, Mournhold, Wayrest) there are shrines that let you respec your stats, skills, or skill morphs, with a cost in gold proportional to the number of points you've spent.

Goatness
Dec 2, 2005
Awesome, thanks!

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I unlocked crafting certs on my main, which I'm not really sure I plan on using much as a crafter beyond alchemy and cooking; do the rewards scale based on level, based on skill, or a bit of both?

Also for dumb questions: is dual swords/resto staff a workable setup for DPS magblade, and are the rewards from FG and MG worth joining even if you're not building for their skills?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
For crafting, the rewards and consumed materials for writs scale to the number of skill points you've invested in the skill. Fulfilling writs when you're at max level proficiency, you have a rare chance of getting master writs as a reward. Those are difficult to fulfill, but they can sell for a lot of gold if you can't/don't want to do them.

Also, the resource nodes you find are dictated both by your crafting proficiency and your character's level. For example, a level C160 character with no skill points in Tailoring will find 50% ancestor silk/50% jute and 50% rubedo hide/50% rawhide, and a level C160 character with Tailoring maxed out will find ancestor silk and rubedo hide 100% of the time.

There are skill points to be gained through the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild questlines, some very useful abilities, and skills that enable more dialogue options in quests (persuade/intimidate) and can get you out of doing busywork/bribing NPCs. There's really no good reason to not join both.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure if you don't join FG/MG and do so later, you immediately get all the experience toward each that you would have earned up to that point. I forgot to have one new character join FG until he was around level 20, and when I finally did he was immediately rank 2.

Edit: On second thought, that was Undaunted, not FG, but I assume it probably works the same.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 12, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If you're a magblade you want Inner Light from the MG and pretty much every character wants the Ult increasing passive from the FG

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure if you don't join FG/MG and do so later, you immediately get all the experience toward each that you would have earned up to that point. I forgot to have one new character join FG until he was around level 20, and when I finally did he was immediately rank 2.

Edit: On second thought, that was Undaunted, not FG, but I assume it probably works the same.

I think so, because I had a new character who had already found a few lorebooks before joining the mages guild, and I got an instant rank-up to around two and a half.

And yeah, the dialogue options alone make both of them essential to join, but I never invest points beyond that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Undaunted and Mages Guild are retroactive because there is a semi-finite amount of exp you can earn for those 2 guilds.

Fighter's Guild is NOT, you must join as soon as you can unless you want to grind 5000 zombies at level 50.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

hmmm grinding zombies sounds like fun, where exactly are these zombies to grind for the fighters guild? do i have to have a quest for it or anything?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

neurotic posted:

hmmm grinding zombies sounds like fun, where exactly are these zombies to grind for the fighters guild? do i have to have a quest for it or anything?
Fighters guild levels whenever you kill a Daedra or undead.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You get Fighter's Guild rep really fast by running Dolmens. You also get a ton of XP and loot that way too, so there's really no downside.

I believe you only need rank 5 to complete the whole FG storyline, and you can pretty much hit that in one sitting doing some Dolmens. I ran through the storyline with a friend (which is ridiculous because half of it is solo instances) and his character didn't have a lot of FG rep yet, but it was not a big time investment to get him caught up. We were only like level 15 or 20 at the start.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does this game ever break out of the floaty, mash buttons sort of gameplay? Forgive me if that sounds harsh, but I’m used to (and somewhat prefer) the more traditional skill rotation, cooldown, etc style of play. I’m playing a siphon healer Nightblade, and at least at my current level fights are literally pressing the 1 key and dodging occasionally. In one way it’s nice that it auto heals the lowest party member, but it also removes part of the fun micro of being a dungeon healer. My group has absolutely stomped all content we’ve come against and it’s making me skeptical of the scaling system because we’ve never wiped - we’ve never fallen below half HP. I get they are the easy dungeons but drat.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

It does! Normal dungeons are very easy, especially if you have a full group that's Trying. You'll find that as you break into the 2 versions people start actually taking damage. You also start getting a lot more "loose damage" in the party that calls for AOE healing, and a lot of fights have times where people get hammered and a well-timed ult keeps things going smoothly.

I actually just healed my first Trial ever (so take that into consideration with this advice) on my MagBlade and it was a shitton of fun. On trash I could usually keep my destro staff out and get by with siphon heals, but on bosses it was a pretty frantic affair. Weaving heavy attacks in with healing spells, DPS and personal utility kept me busy as hell (and got me killed once or twice because I Stood In poo poo). It also felt really good to throw out my Soul Siphon healing ult during huge raidwide damage and just fight through it.

As a healer, especially as a nightblade healer, you're there for resource support and utility as well as healing. When my party is topped off, I'm marking enemies, summoning ghosts, and laying down AOEs that'll keep going when I have to go back to healing.

This game has no cooldowns except for ults. There are buffs you want to keep up, but most of the focus is on resource management and positioning. There's also the animation-cancelling side of combat that seems to exist by accident - it's not mandatory to succeed at most content but it helps a bunch and it makes combat way more engaging IMO.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

It does! Normal dungeons are very easy, especially if you have a full group that's Trying. You'll find that as you break into the 2 versions people start actually taking damage. You also start getting a lot more "loose damage" in the party that calls for AOE healing, and a lot of fights have times where people get hammered and a well-timed ult keeps things going smoothly.

I actually just healed my first Trial ever (so take that into consideration with this advice) on my MagBlade and it was a shitton of fun. On trash I could usually keep my destro staff out and get by with siphon heals, but on bosses it was a pretty frantic affair. Weaving heavy attacks in with healing spells, DPS and personal utility kept me busy as hell (and got me killed once or twice because I Stood In poo poo). It also felt really good to throw out my Soul Siphon healing ult during huge raidwide damage and just fight through it.

As a healer, especially as a nightblade healer, you're there for resource support and utility as well as healing. When my party is topped off, I'm marking enemies, summoning ghosts, and laying down AOEs that'll keep going when I have to go back to healing.

This game has no cooldowns except for ults. There are buffs you want to keep up, but most of the focus is on resource management and positioning. There's also the animation-cancelling side of combat that seems to exist by accident - it's not mandatory to succeed at most content but it helps a bunch and it makes combat way more engaging IMO.

That’s good to know. I’ll stick with it for friends but I’m not sure it’s totally my style. I was really into FFXIV, and prior Archeage (briefly, but obviously it didn’t last long because lol Archeage) and other more traditional skill cooldowns + global cooldown tab target approach. It’s not that ESO is bad, it just feels a little more action than MMO which isn’t gelling with me. I feel like the scaling allowing you to do whatever is both a strength and a weakness - I love that I don’t care what level my friends are, but I hate that I’m kind of just mashing 2 skills until we get to something rated higher intentionally.

I’m normally the guy who enjoys the ride to max level just as much or more than “endgame” but I’m finding that hard here because it’s way too seamless and easy to turn your brain off, at least level 1-20. I’ve only died from one quest that has a magic insta kill wall that’s poorly visible. Progression at this level feels pretty opaque because of scaling, so I never get any feedback about what the hell I’m aiming for because everything I pick feels immediately and equally viable. Usually in a 50 cap MMO you have to start paying attention to gear and build at least around 15-20, where I’m 15 and I feel like I could use whatever is on me with no real loss in effectiveness.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ESO 1-50 is scaled to basically be like Skyrim, you can wander around and do most things, talk to all the npcs, read all the books, take all the screenshots (its a good looking game imo)

Once you hit the CPs (particularly CP 160, "cap" for mob scaling) it'll get particularly more difficult cause you wont have scaling carrying you, having decent gear and knowing how to play your class will be more important. Overworld / story stuff will still never really be a challenge if you keep your gear up to date and have a clue but vet dungeons will gently caress you up if you don't know what you're doing, even most the dlc normal modes will be tough for most unprepared groups

The overworld/story content is there for people that just want to solo or take things casually but there is a lot of fairly hard stuff post 50

like even the people that have high end vet stuff on farm status like trials or vMA wouldn't say they're "easy" (if they do they're probably assholes) but if you're looking for something more hotbar ish or traditional mmo yeah ESO is never going to give that

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I play this on and off every now and then since the beta. Currently a level 26 altmer templar, trying to blaze through the Orsinium content before that free ESO period wears off.

I'm having a lot of fun just doing quests and wandering about and soloing stuff. I'm half-specced like a DPS and half like a healer, but I actually never really need the healing. Is there any specific way I should be leveling or getting my skills? I like blacksmithing and I found some crafting styles that tell me I need to be rank 9 to learn, but that seems far away. I've been stealing shop gear at Elden Root's ground floor and breaking those down to get materials and do the blacksmithing writs and I'm not sure if this is clever or a waste of time, xp-wise.

All in all I'm a bit unsure how the game mechanics interact and whether I've accidentally gimped my built, but a lot of the story content seems really easy so far (the enemies are a bit like sponges but I almost never lose much health, my spear ability tops me off every time I take damage). I'm having fun but in general have no idea what's up with the leveling system. Is it normal for me to do single player content like this to prepare for multiplayer and pvp stuff? Would I ruin groups by joining them in dungeons? How do I recognize challenges that are for groups and which are meant to be done solo? What's the best way to get exp? Someone mentioned doing dungeons because you get an exp boost for the first you do every day but I don't really know what counts as a dungeon for this purpose and what doesn't.

I don't know, I don't really have a specific question, just feeling a bit confused, although I'm having fun stumbling around solo.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Post your @account name, we'll get you in the goon guild, I'll make you a magplar levelling suit, and we can talk shop about solo/group dps/healing as a magplar because it rules and is piss easy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Deltasquid posted:

All in all I'm a bit unsure how the game mechanics interact and whether I've accidentally gimped my built, but a lot of the story content seems really easy so far (the enemies are a bit like sponges but I almost never lose much health, my spear ability tops me off every time I take damage).
This is a common complaint about ESO--they don't do a good job at all at explaining how a lot of the mechanics work and if you're making wise decisions or not. The upside is that--certainly at your level--it basically doesn't matter because almost everything works "well enough" for solo or light group play. You can also re-spec at any time (for a nominal fee) by going to one of the capitals and visiting the shrines.

Deltasquid posted:

I'm having fun but in general have no idea what's up with the leveling system.
The leveling system is weird; don't worry. Just have fun. Not much of it matters before 50 anyhow.

Deltasquid posted:

Is it normal for me to do single player content like this to prepare for multiplayer and pvp stuff?
Yes.

Deltasquid posted:

Would I ruin groups by joining them in dungeons?
No. Frankly, most of the high-CP people who you'll find bopping around the dungeon finder can probably solo the entire dungeon, anyhow.

Deltasquid posted:

How do I recognize challenges that are for groups and which are meant to be done solo?
If it's on the overworld and doesn't have like 1,000,000 HP or whatever, it's meant to be done solo. This includes Delves. Quests, other than those sending you to group dungeons, are meant to be accomplishable solo. 4-man group delves and dungeons are marked with a little "+" icon. 12-man trials are marked with a skull and a + icon.

Deltasquid posted:

What's the best way to get exp? Someone mentioned doing dungeons because you get an exp boost for the first you do every day but I don't really know what counts as a dungeon for this purpose and what doesn't.
Daily dungeons. Hit P to bring up the group/dungeon finder pane. Click Dungeon Finder and then Join Queue. Wait several minutes for it to find you a group, then BAM, dungeon. You'll get ~80k bonus XP and some minor loot for the first one you do each day. Past that, do quests that you find entertaining, and XP will come reasonably quick.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Aramek posted:

Post your @account name, we'll get you in the goon guild, I'll make you a magplar levelling suit, and we can talk shop about solo/group dps/healing as a magplar because it rules and is piss easy.

Account is Deltasquid. I play on the EU server if that matters. I have literally 0 experience with guilds, are there any do's and don'ts?

DrDork posted:

This is a common complaint about ESO--they don't do a good job at all at explaining how a lot of the mechanics work and if you're making wise decisions or not. The upside is that--certainly at your level--it basically doesn't matter because almost everything works "well enough" for solo or light group play. You can also re-spec at any time (for a nominal fee) by going to one of the capitals and visiting the shrines.

The leveling system is weird; don't worry. Just have fun. Not much of it matters before 50 anyhow.

Yes.

No. Frankly, most of the high-CP people who you'll find bopping around the dungeon finder can probably solo the entire dungeon, anyhow.

If it's on the overworld and doesn't have like 1,000,000 HP or whatever, it's meant to be done solo. This includes Delves. Quests, other than those sending you to group dungeons, are meant to be accomplishable solo. 4-man group delves and dungeons are marked with a little "+" icon. 12-man trials are marked with a skull and a + icon.

Daily dungeons. Hit P to bring up the group/dungeon finder pane. Click Dungeon Finder and then Join Queue. Wait several minutes for it to find you a group, then BAM, dungeon. You'll get ~80k bonus XP and some minor loot for the first one you do each day. Past that, do quests that you find entertaining, and XP will come reasonably quick.

Super, thanks for the info. I'll have a look at doing a delve tonight.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

DrDork posted:

I've always found this to be the fastest and most enjoyable way to level. Do random daily dungeon, quest for the remainder of the time. A person could always go and shovel gold at some clown in Craglorn to get carried through Skyreach, but grinding is boring as gently caress and you actually learn your class a lot better if you don't turn off your brain and zip to 160CP.

Also, I suppose I should get a guild invite. @SABeefeater

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

I play on the EU server if that matters.

I'm so sorry. :eng99:

Basically, put all your levelups into magic. Always wear +magic enchants on your gear, always have 5 light, and then either 2 heavy or 1 heavy 1 medium. On your front bar, use a Lightning staff. Back Bar resto staff, or another lightning staff.

Most combat will be super easy for 99% of content as a magplar, lay down a Blockade of Elements, and then spam Sweeps till everything is dead. Unlock every power, put it on your bar to get it to morph, even if you don't see yourself using it. Always have 1 power from each of your three class trees at all times so they all level up. Swap to your resto staff for all quest turn-ins, as it is at the *moment* you get xp is when those skills level up. Go slow, do every single quest you see, take your time and explore, do not grind.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Why should I have 5 light and then med+heavy or 2 heavy? I like looking like a full plate knight :( Is leveling medium and light armor important or is this a "just in case" thing?

I don't use staves at all. I dabbled a bit with resto staff but I felt like I have enough healing from class abilities as it is. I've been using sword + board since forever and started doing a bit of 2h on the side to level up my second ability bar.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Why should I have 5 light and then med+heavy or 2 heavy? I like looking like a full plate knight :( Is leveling medium and light armor important or is this a "just in case" thing?

I don't use staves at all. I dabbled a bit with resto staff but I felt like I have enough healing from class abilities as it is. I've been using sword + board since forever and started doing a bit of 2h on the side to level up my second ability bar.

With the upcoming outfit system you can run full light armor for maximum effectiveness while looking like a full plate knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Scyantific posted:

With the upcoming outfit system you can run full light armor for maximum effectiveness while looking like a full plate knight

You can do this already using costumes. If you spring for the adept starter pack off the crown store, it comes with three basic costumes for classic "warrior" "rogue" and "mage" looks, which is pretty nice for making a newbie character look cool while you're actually wearing ridiculous newbie gear. Probably a waste of money at this point with the outfit thing just around the corner, but I like having those. I always put costumes on my dudes.